5.0 out of 5 stars I love it! A playful demonstration of how the Dot Roller works
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:43 Mins
This video demonstrates how easy the Scotch Dot Roller is to use. The roller dispenses a strip of tiny glue dots that grip paper and won't let go, so make sure you place the item exactly where you want it the first time. Although I dispensed the glue on the page itself here for video effect, you'll probably want to put the adhesive on the item...
Published on April 28, 2010 by Debbie Lee Wesselmann

3.0 out of 5 stars May be great for some purposes but not so great for mine.
When I saw that this product was called a "dot roller" I figured it was the Scotch version of what I'd been using from the craft store to adhere pictures and other items in scrapbooking. When it arrived, I found that it is and it isn't. It serves the same purpose (to adhere things), but it works quite differently.

What I had been using was Dot n Go Glue Dots,...
Published on April 27, 2010 by Sheri in Reho

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy way to use adhesive, July 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I find this product very effective to affix photos to card stock. I used to apply a liquid glue to the back of the photo, but the dots require less adhesive to securely attach photos to cards. I'm sure there are other uses for this, but I intend to continue using it for my card projects.

Update: I'm throwing away my glue bottles. This is the only way to go for affixing photos to cards, scrapbooks, etc. I also like it because the dots are 'dry'....thus you can
use it on thinner stock that tends to warp and bubble when using liquid glue. It is also better than spray-type glues because there is no airborne mess to deal with. Another use I just thought of..... affixing the backing paper to frames over the backing board. I previously used double-sided tape which was a pain. The dispenser makes this an easy chore. GREAT PRODUCT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A tidy alternative to glue sticks for mounting photos and posters, April 20, 2010
Angela M. Hey (Portola Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I mount pictures on poster-board invariably the Elmer's School Glue Sticks, 6 grams, 6 Pack (E1560) get messy, especially if you press too hard, with glue spreading wider than you like it.

3M's solution is to have a clear strip with glue dots on it that are neatly transferred to the picture or poster-board. The Dot Roller is about the same length as a Glue Stick, but wider - so it takes up a bit more room in a drawer. Given I typically buy multiple glue sticks this shouldn't be a problem. The Dot Roller dispenses 49 feet of glue dots per reel. Replacement reels can be easily inserted in the Dot Roller.

The adhesive conforms to ASTM D-4326 - which means that if it is toxic for art projects the toxins will be listed on the packaging. Toxins are not listed. It does not claim to be toxic-free, but it does claim to be Photo Safe. It also conforms to ISO standard 18916 which tests its chemistry for art projects, but does not necessarily imply that it is of archival quality (this usually means acid free and that it will stick for ever). The adhesive claims it is permanent.

If you are used to Glue Sticks you will find the glue dots very thin and it may seem that there is not enough adhesive - but if you press documents down they appear to remain fixed at least as well as with a glue stick and without any wrinkles.

On 3M's Shop3M website it is quite hard to find the product. I first looked under Adhesives - but they were more industrial strength. Then I looked under Tapes: Graphic Arts Tapes and these were for light blocking and similar uses. A search in Home and Office failed to bring up the Dot Roller. In despair I tried searching for the term "Dot Roller" and again no hits! It then went to the corporate website and entered Dot Roller - again no relevant hits in the first search page - hits were about Reflective Products. So some Search Engine Optimization is needed for this product on 3M's part.

I wonder about the greenness - I used to mix flour and boiling water to make glue - is that greener? The dispenser says it's made from 65% recycled material, will the plastic off-gas toxins. It's a small item and I've no idea if its greener than a glue-stick - all I can say is it seems less messy and with less glue around it could be more efficient.

In summary, I like the device, it's clean for sticking items to posterboard and for scrapbooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a glue stick, but more precise, with no mess., April 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This device is used for gluing papers together and perhaps for gluing other things. The device, which is transparent scarlet on one side and opaque on the other side, fits easily in the hand. A flip-top tab can be pulled back, exposing the business end of the dispenser. Then you just roll the dispenser along your paper. Finally, you can snap the flip-top back to its original position. I did a test with two pieces of paper. I ran a strip of glue from the dispenser and pressed the two pieces of paper together. Then, I waited about half a minute, and tried to pull the papers apart. I was able to pull the papers apart, but the result was that a thin layer of paper was shredded off from one of the papers. This is a good thing. It means that the "weld" is a permanent one, just like it reads on the dispenser. The dispenser reads, "PERMANENT." The product is named, "Adhesive Dot Roller." The dots are not colored. They are transparent and are barely visible. The term "dot" refers to the fact that the adhesive is deposited with a pattern similar to rivets on a bridge or other metal structure.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great alternative to traditional tape & gluesticks, but not so permanent..., April 26, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like the adhesive rollers because they make craft projects MUCH easier and neater. With 4 kids, I am always doing some kind of art project and have tried many brands of adhesive rollers. I will say that I am not so fond of this one for 2 main reasons...

(1) It is not as permanent as they claim and can be peeled away or peel away on it's own. Other brands I have tried have this same problem, except for 1 that I will mention later in the review.
(2) It is a roll of teeny adhesive dots, which require the correct amount of pressure to be applied at an exact angle each time in order for all of the dots to be applied. If you don't get those 2 things right, you wind up with dots missing meaning it isn't as sticky as if all of the dots were applied. This is frustrating because you then have to go back over it, and with how much these cost...not good.

3 stars to Scotch for an OK adhesive roller, but just OK. If you really want a good one that is truly permanent, has more adhesive inside allowing more uses, and isn't those annoying 'dots'...try Tombow's Mono Permanent Adhesive roller (model 62202). It costs just a bit more than this Scotch brand, but is well worth it and if you think about how many feet of adhesive you get, it is a better buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy, strong!, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Scotch Adhesive Dot Roller Value Pack .31 Inches x 49 Feet, 4-Pack (6055BNS) (Office Product)
These dot rollers are really fun, easy, and work great! I've found so many uses for them and I'm finding more every day. I use them in place of double sided tape and they are just so much easier. Rather than having to deal with the pain of holding something that is double sided and then trying to get it to lay flat on something else, it's so easy to just run these dots over something and stick something else to them. I used these for making photos double sided (just like gluing two pictures together), scrapbooks, ribbons, crafts, etc. I can't get enough of them. Although these are great for adults, I imagine that they'd be even better for kids who don't yet have the motor skills to deal with double sided tape and are sure to make a mess out of glue. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scotch Adhesive Dot Roller, June 22, 2012
I have recently purchased my 3rd such item and wanted to let buyers know that the Scotch Adhesive Dot Roller is one of the best adhesives for card-making and scrapbooking that I've ever used. It is very neat, positionable (even the permanent adhesive is able to be moved for a short while after placement), and odorless. The "dots" are tiny and flat, leaving no bumpiness under the paper you're adhering. I've used a different brand of roll-on adhesive that continuously rolls back on itself and is messy to use.

I recently created a gift for a friend and found an unopened, unused Scotch Adhesive Dot Roller that was in a bag with its original receipt (from a craft store). The Scotch Adhesive Dot Roller was over 2 years old and worked as if it were brand new! I have never been so surprised and pleased at finding something so old be so useful still. Couldn't say the same for some of my colored pens and assorted wet glues. A+ for this product; buy it without hesitation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, March 10, 2012
So easy to roll without any of the adhesive breaking into pieces like other brands! Compared to Officemax adhesive glue roller, I saved half the time using this brand because I only had to roll over the paper once.

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect solution..., November 27, 2011
Bill Raley "Vista Bill" (Southern Maryland, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
These dot adhesive runners are the perfect solution to what one needs to adhere something without making a mess. I thought I had it all when I discovered white out tape. This product is similar but instead of laying down a white stripe, it applies a narrow dotted adhesive strip. Makes the job much easier than using a glue stick. This is a permanent adhesive... I discovered that there is also a "removable" dot adhesive runner. That would be handy to have on hand also. I believe that if you have a need to glue something, this is it! Ideal for scrapbooks, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good, not bad, June 17, 2010
lore (Neverwhere) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been scrapbooking for a long time and I've always found the double-sided runner tapes from similar dispensers to be invaluable. So, I jumped at the chance to try this product. While I think it worked as it should, I didn't feel my items were as smoothly and flatly tamped down as with my other tapes. I also couldn't control where the tape dots went as well as I could the straight lines of other runner tapes.

Also, the refill costs about as much as the original dispenser. That's too pricey for the rate at which I go through double-sided tape. So, I'd say the product works well enough, but some minor use difficulties and the cost keep it from becoming a regular purchase for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to other double-stick tape runners, June 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Scotch brand is known for its adhesives. This "dot roller" puts out a strip of sticky flat dots rather than one simple ribbon of double-stick tape. It still works pretty much the way you would expect it to.

I used it to attach photos to paper, and it did a nice job of adhering the photos to the paper permanently.

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›