5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size & dispenser for kids
Published on September 5, 2009 by zhabazon

Scotch tape is a staple in my home. Yes, I can find cheaper tape at my local Dollar store, but as always, you get what you pay for, and the cheaper tape's adhesive never fails to eventually peel away and stop sticking. Not such a problem with 3M's Scotch tape.

Published on November 1, 2010 by M.D. Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size & dispenser for kids, September 5, 2009
zhabazon (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Scotch Magic Tape , 3/4 x 300 Inches, 3-Pack (3105) (Office Product)
For as long as I can remember, I've been asked, "Please pass me the scotch tape," not "Please pass me the tape so I can wrap this birthday present." Most of us refer to clear tapes as "scotch tape," not recognizing that there are assorted manufacturers of this adhesive. Of all the tapes I've tried, Scotch Magic Tape is worthy of its name. Since it "disappears" when used to hold items together, is becomes "invisible" and it does not turn yellow over the years, roll up on the sides, or get sticky on the surface with the years. It is safe for photographs and will not make a mess of them as happened when I used an impostor many years ago. These plastic rolls seem less sturdy than those of years past, however, they are still more sturdy than most others I've recently seen and used. These particular rolls are NOT refillable like others which have a hard two sided plastic case. They are very lightweight, one side is open and the other is the clear plastic shell. The cutter blade is molded right into the plastic, so little people's hands would be safer when using this dispenser than many others. Would fit well in a backpack or little art supply case. I like having these in drawers throughout my home so I don't have to search for the tape when I need to attach one piece of paper to another. Makes sealing open envelopes a breeze and the 3/4" width is a more desirable size for my needs. I find that I end up using fewer inches in the long run.

3.0 out of 5 stars Packaging makes it seem like you're getting more than you are., November 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Scotch Magic Tape is great for wrapping gifts with matte finish wrap, as it virtually becomes invisible on it. Glossy wrapping papers, however, will evidence the presence of Scotch brand's magic tape in the absence of sheen where the tape has been placed. If you're not overly particular with regards to this sort of stuff, you'll do fine with it. The 3/4 inch width is also a nice, wide tape for average, every day use. I tend to use Scotch tape a lot in lieu of those kitchen clip things to close up opened packages. Fold over a little tab at the end of a long strip of tape, wrap half of it on one side of the opening, stick it to the opposite side of the bag/packaging, and you're good to go. It even holds in the freezer. Who needs a clip, anyway?

The one thing that turns me off about this package of Scotch tape is the misleading product packaging. The rolls are made to appear as if they have more tape on them than they actually do. I'd honestly rather pay more for three FULL rolls of tape, than pay just over a buck and a quarter (on Amazon; more at your local retail store) for a roll of tape that's really only half full, as the base of the roll of tape is just filler plastic. Not just misleading, but wasteful and environmentally unfriendly, too! It's a Scotch brand BOGO! And NOT the kind you really want!

Overall, Scotch tape works well for what it's supposed to do. It's tape - it SHOULD work well! But the fact that 3M misleads its customers by sticking a big throwaway empty plastic core onto each of these cheapie dispensers costs them (reputation-wise), in my book. If you need this tape, this is the place to get it at a good price (especially if you've got an Amazon Prime membership). But if you don't need one roll for the car, one for the office, and one for home, I think you're better off looking for a fuller single roll of tape than going with what Scotch offers here.

4.0 out of 5 stars SCOTCH MAGIC TAPE IS OK: 3/4 x 300 Inches, 3 Pack, October 14, 2014
OVERVIEW
Everyone needs general purpose paper tape, the duct tape of the desk, the tape for school kids, and for repairing paper tears, posting notes, and wrapping gifts. It seems to me that Scotch brand tape has a monopoly on this kind of tape. "Scotch" tape got its name for being "scottishly" stingy with the amount of tape in each roll, so as the name stuck with the public, years ago, 3M co-opted that and registered Scotch as a brand name. Most people think that if it's not Scotch, it's not good tape. Well, I don't know about that, really, but that's how it is, what can you do about it? 3M is a huge corporation that makes trainload after trainload of tape and other small stuff. 3M can undercut any smaller take maker's price. Can you name just one other brand of clear tape like this? Nope. Thought so. The only competition, crumbs off the table, are nameless el cheapo brands or big box office supply store house brands sporting the house name.

PROS
- For paper, it just works, it sticks well

- Magic Tape is highly transparent, and almost invisible, now a required trait for wrapping gifts.

- Fairly easy to remove from a hard, smooth surface.

CONS
- Once attached to paper, the paper will tear if removal is attempted.

- You really do not get much tape for the money. It cannot cost much to produce this tape. Great profit margin for 3M.

- Hard to find the tape end once it is stuck to the roll, and difficult to remove the tape end from the roll. Use a dispenser for loose rolls.

- Buying tape with an integral, throw-away dispenser may be convenient but is wasteful, so buy the rolls of tape without this cheap plastic, throwaway dispenser and instead use a durable, separate, dedicated dispenser instead of being wasteful.

CONCLUSION
You need this kind of tape, especially for joining paper. Scotch brand tape has made any real competition disappear; this is a marketing and advertising triumph for the 3M corporation. Not so good for us. Not a cost value. But it does work well; it does what we want.

For feedback or questions, please respond in the Comment section below...I would be glad to help. I hope this was helpful to you and if so, please click "Yes" in the box below.
________________________________________________________________________

MY BLOG: thegoodstuffreviews.blogspot.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there really a choice?, November 12, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Perhaps one of the surest ways of showing your age is to remark to a younger person that you no longer use the original Scotch tape. "What's that?" is likely to be the response, since the company's "Magic Tape" has now been with us longer that few of us realize. In fact, it appears to be unanimously preferred by the American consumer--to such a degree that I suspect the original tape is displayed alongside it primarily to give the consumer the "illusion of choice," or that extra little motivator to stock up on more Magic Tape.

Not only is Magic Tape more invisible and durable than the original Scotch tape but it is one of the most versatile products. Except for the wide and sturdy packing tape for those large packages and Amazon returns, this is one of my most used products--in my office (where it repairs torn manuscripts, permitting me to write over the damage), bedroom (right now, it's securing a dipole FM antenna to my side of the bed), on the hallway floor (where I wrap gifts). Were anyone limited to having life-time access to no more than 10 products sold on Amazon, which would you select and in what order would you prioritize them.

I'd probably be better off without any more electronic gadgetry. It would allow me time to read the books and listen to the hundreds of CDs that have as yet to receive my undivided attention. As the amounts of ink cartridges I consume should tell me, I'm already guilty of wasting far too many trees. Besides the Scotch Magic tape, I really can't think of a single other "thing" that would deserve to occupy my shelf of the products most essential to maintaining the good life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price for a product that no home can be without, February 26, 2013
It's kind of funny, but it's getting to he point where I have little desire to shop in regular stores. Amazon makes the shopping experience so pleasurable that even the smallest of items is easier to purchase from them, rather than going to a local store.

As far as the tape goes, there's not a great deal to say. It's the famous Scotch Magic Tape that been a staple in our home for decades. What I especially like about purchasing an item like this from Amazon, is that you're able to purchase a quantity of 3, at a price that's lower than you'd pay at a local store. Since I'm a member of Prime, shipping is free. In my opinion, there is no company in the world that comes close to what Amazon offers as far as inventory. When I searched for this, I figured it would be too inexpensive an item for Amazon to carry. I was wrong.

The convenience of having a 3 pack, and the added convenience of having it delivered free right to my door, makes me want to purchase everything imaginable from Amazon.

The bottom line is that this is a well known, top-notch product that needs no explanation as to how many different uses it is good for. Buying it from Amazon makes it so very very easy. The item gets 5 stars, as does Amazon, the best company in the world. I love Amazon so much that I could stay in my house for a year and never be short on anything. Whether it's scotch tape or groceries, Amazon has it covered.

2.0 out of 5 stars WAY overpriced for what you get, February 6, 2013
These are three tiny rolls of tape. They're worth about 99 cents each, at most. They're not even really full rolls of tape, they look like they've been almost used up. Bad deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where would we be without Scotch Tape!, November 11, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those multi use products that you really can't do without in your home. I find the Scotch brand the best and well worth the few extra cents you pay for it compared to other cheaper brands. Out of all the non edible items in your home I think this is one of the constants that you need for everyday life. If you're like me you will always be looking to tape something. I have used this not only on packages but on the edges of my wallpaper when it decides to start lifting. Works great without being seen. Who would know but you that you did a little tlc repair. I've taped pencils back together with this when I've had my temper tantrum and broken on. Holds really good till I need to use that particular spot. Also works great in place of clips on chips, coffee bags and best of all putting up the precious hand drawn pictures on the refrigator that you get from your grandchildren that they sent you for one occassion or another. Don't have a bandaid in the house and need to cover a cut, put a piece of gauze or papertowel and some of our wonderfully magic tape to hold you over til you get to the store for bandaids. How many other products can you pay so little for with so many great uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars it makes a difference!!!, September 12, 2009
ok, i'm actually reviewing scotch tape! ha! now that i have kidz, scotch tape becomes invaluable, we use it for wrapping christmas and birthday packages, the backs of envelopes especially those that are a little bulgy or that have $$$ in them. a couple times a year, it seems to be used for styling my kidz' hair or barbie's hair. BLAH!!!! for present-wrapping, i can say that scotch tape has what seems to me to be the finest ability to stick and stay upon wrapping paper. i've bought some generic brands that fall apart. and then, one of the most important things, is that while i use all 18 of my hands trying to hold scissors, tape, tape dispenser, and holding the box in 15 places, the tape pulls out smoothly and i can tear it off quickly and cleanly. nobody's invented a good way yet of stopping over pulling or loose tape snuggling back on the roll, so i've gotta spend an hour pulling snippets of tape off the roll till the sides match and i can resume wrapping. i think that this brand is worth paying the extra few cents. i think that i consume as much tape as i have, whether it's one roll or 50 rolls. 3 is nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invisible Tape, November 2, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Scotch Magic Tape is another good product from 3M. It is the original "matte-finish, invisible" tape. I use the tape to construct signs for students when I administer the ACT, SAT, and PRAXIS standardized tests. I use a flip chart to direct examinees to the testing rooms and tape additions and changes to the basic flip page sign. The tape disappears as advertised reducing distractions for the often nervous students. I can write from the paper to taped areas of the sign in pen, pencil, or magic marker with no reductions in the readability of the information.

I also use the tape for posting direction signs on test site entry areas. The tape holds well in cold weather when glass doors and windows become misty. For testing documents and reports, I can cut and paste and then photocopy without the copies showing shadows of the tape.

I highly recommend this product for office and presentation work. In this review, the 3/4 inch x 300 inches tape in a plastic dispenser is described. It comes in a three pack cardboard container that can be used for storage.

3.0 out of 5 stars my bad. it's tape, October 20, 2014
i wish i knew how little tape was in these, even though the size is clearly stated. my bad. it's tape. just too much fro the amount you get.