5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size & dispenser for kids
Published on September 5, 2009 by zhabazon

Scotch tape is a staple in my home. Yes, I can find cheaper tape at my local Dollar store, but as always, you get what you pay for, and the cheaper tape's adhesive never fails to eventually peel away and stop sticking. Not such a problem with 3M's Scotch tape.

Published on November 1, 2010 by M.D. Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size & dispenser for kids, September 5, 2009
zhabazon (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Scotch Magic Tape , 3/4 x 300 Inches, 3 Pack (3105) (Office Product)
For as long as I can remember, I've been asked, "Please pass me the scotch tape," not "Please pass me the tape so I can wrap this birthday present." Most of us refer to clear tapes as "scotch tape," not recognizing that there are assorted manufacturers of this adhesive. Of all the tapes I've tried, Scotch Magic Tape is worthy of its name. Since it "disappears" when used to hold items together, is becomes "invisible" and it does not turn yellow over the years, roll up on the sides, or get sticky on the surface with the years. It is safe for photographs and will not make a mess of them as happened when I used an impostor many years ago. These plastic rolls seem less sturdy than those of years past, however, they are still more sturdy than most others I've recently seen and used. These particular rolls are NOT refillable like others which have a hard two sided plastic case. They are very lightweight, one side is open and the other is the clear plastic shell. The cutter blade is molded right into the plastic, so little people's hands would be safer when using this dispenser than many others. Would fit well in a backpack or little art supply case. I like having these in drawers throughout my home so I don't have to search for the tape when I need to attach one piece of paper to another. Makes sealing open envelopes a breeze and the 3/4" width is a more desirable size for my needs. I find that I end up using fewer inches in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile almost invisible tape that can be used for many purposes..., August 7, 2013
Scotch Magic Tape is quality tape looking almost invisible when applied to paper. I used it a lot for my home/office paper adhesive needs, from decorative paper gift wrapping, sealing envelopes, leaving notes on refrigerator and mending broken pieces of paper.

Great feature is that it can be also written on so it can be used for notes on documents that are not allowed to write and it doesn't become yellow after been applied for some time.

Considering this three-piece package it's looking like there is more tape than it actually does but nevertheless in shop where I bought it, it's still cheaper than to buy separately three pieces of tape.

Scotch Magic Tape is versatile almost invisible tape that can be used for many purposes therefore I would strongly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars SCOTCH MAGIC TAPE IS OK: 3/4 x 300 Inches, 3 Pack (3105), October 14, 2014
OVERVIEW
Everyone needs general purpose paper tape, the duct tape of the desk, the tape for school kids, and for repairing paper tears, posting notes, and wrapping gifts. It seems to me that Scotch brand tape has a monopoly on this kind of tape. Most people think that if it's not Scotch, it's not good tape. Well, I don't know about that, really, but that's how it is, what can you do about it?

PROS
- For paper, it just works, it sticks well

- Magic Tape is highly transparent, and almost invisible, now a required trait for wrapping gifts.

- Fairly easy to remove from a hard, smooth surface.

CONS
- Once attached to paper, the paper will tear if removal is attempted.

- You really do not get much tape for the money. It cannot cost much to produce this tape. Great profit margin for 3M.

- Hard to find the tape end once it is stuck to the roll, and difficult to remove the tape end from the roll. Use a dispenser for loose rolls.

- Buying tape with an integral, throw-away dispenser may be convenient but is wasteful, so buy rolls of tape and a durable, dedicated dispenser if you use "Scotch" tape that often.

CONCLUSION
You need this kind of tape, especially for joining paper. Scotch brand tape has made any real competition disappear; a marketing and advertising triumph for 3M. Not so good for us. Not a cost value. But it does work well; it does what we want.

For feedback or questions, please respond in the Comment section below...I would be glad to help. I hope this was helpful to you and if so, please click "Yes" on "Was this review helpful to you?" below this.
________________________________________________________________________

MY BLOG: thegoodstuffreviews.blogspot.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Packaging makes it seem like you're getting more than you are., November 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Scotch Magic Tape is great for wrapping gifts with matte finish wrap, as it virtually becomes invisible on it. Glossy wrapping papers, however, will evidence the presence of Scotch brand's magic tape in the absence of sheen where the tape has been placed. If you're not overly particular with regards to this sort of stuff, you'll do fine with it. The 3/4 inch width is also a nice, wide tape for average, every day use. I tend to use Scotch tape a lot in lieu of those kitchen clip things to close up opened packages. Fold over a little tab at the end of a long strip of tape, wrap half of it on one side of the opening, stick it to the opposite side of the bag/packaging, and you're good to go. It even holds in the freezer. Who needs a clip, anyway?

The one thing that turns me off about this package of Scotch tape is the misleading product packaging. The rolls are made to appear as if they have more tape on them than they actually do. I'd honestly rather pay more for three FULL rolls of tape, than pay just over a buck and a quarter (on Amazon; more at your local retail store) for a roll of tape that's really only half full, as the base of the roll of tape is just filler plastic. Not just misleading, but wasteful and environmentally unfriendly, too! It's a Scotch brand BOGO! And NOT the kind you really want!

Overall, Scotch tape works well for what it's supposed to do. It's tape - it SHOULD work well! But the fact that 3M misleads its customers by sticking a big throwaway empty plastic core onto each of these cheapie dispensers costs them (reputation-wise), in my book. If you need this tape, this is the place to get it at a good price (especially if you've got an Amazon Prime membership). But if you don't need one roll for the car, one for the office, and one for home, I think you're better off looking for a fuller single roll of tape than going with what Scotch offers here.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a very good tape...., February 3, 2014
Who doesn't like Scotch magic tape. I have been using it forever. I love how you can hardly see it when wrapping things. I do like that these are small convenient rolls.

I took off a point as the rolls appeared not to have much tape on them, but I would still buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, November 7, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Scotch brand has a excellent reputation when it comes to producing quality products, and this tape is no exception.

This is their "magic" line, which means that it is "invisible" in use, and that is pretty much correct. Of course, the reflection of light will make it "appear", but once it is in place, especially on patterened items like wrapping paper, the tape does not interfere with the visual beauty or presentation of the package. Also, I like the 3/4 inch line better than the 1/2 inch items because it is easier to use.

The tape itself has a "matte" finish. This quality is what helps is become "invisible" because it does not reflect light like a high gloss tape. However, another wonderful quality of the matte-finish is that you can write on it. The company advertises that you can use "pen, pencil or marker", and that is correct; however, you need to let the marker dry so that it won't smear. But once the ink is dry, it stays in place. I especially like that the tape will accept pencil as well.

Another wonderful quality of this tape is that it is "photo safe" as noted on the packaging. What I found that this means is that it won't lift the color from pictures. I was able to apply, then lift to move or re-position, and re-apply the tape without ruining my print.

Also, the dispenser is firm and easy to hold. I have found that some other off-brand dispensers are made of such thin plastic that they easily break during use. The Scotch Magic Tape dispenser is of quality construction and will last through the use of the product. Furthermore, with holidays or special events throughout the year, I like having a 3-pack like this product, which means I have enough tape for my needs, and I can get someone to share responsibilities like wrapping packages without having to use only one dispenser - and no fighting betwen siblings over who is using the tape!

Finally, though it may not be politically correct, I really like that this product is "made in the USA" which is noted on the front of the packaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works Like Magic (tape), November 4, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Scotch Magic Tape comes in the familiar green package with a hint of plaid on the label and the familiar Scotch and 3M logos, making the overall appearance cheery and festive. It is cleverly packed in a mini-pack of three for this offering, which helps keep frantic drivers off the road during the icy holiday season when materialistic gift wrapping frenzy is at it's fevered peak.

Each dispenser is made from clear, attractive plastic which glimmers in slight rainbow colors in the sunshine if held at just the right angle. Or maybe that's just the effect of the cocktail I'm having, you decide. The dispenser holds the tape snugly and is equipped with a sharp, toothy edge in just the right place to tear the tape in sections for a multitude of uses. One side shows the cardboard label insert (which can be easily removed if one is bothered by any of it's attributes) and the other is minus anything blocking the visual of the tape, which I find is a clever design idea. The tape itself can be removed from the roll by squeezing the two plastic tabs that serve as the "axle" which the tape can rotate around whilst being dispensed. This is handy for those with permanent, heavier dispensers or those who eschew anything plastic, like an elderly aunt of mine who most of the family can't stand. (Cheers to you, Mernelle.)

The tape itself is nothing short of a miracle. I guess that's why they have branded it with the near-hyperbole "magic". But no other tape compares. As many other reviewers here state (and is anyone else shocked by the number of reviews for this humble little product?) the tape disappears from view when placed on surfaces, can be written on, does not yellow with age and has a million and one uses. Thinking warmly of this product, it recalls one of my favorite movie scenes in which Pee Wee Herman uses the tape to distort his face while mugging in a mirror and causing hilarious hysteria for himself and audiences alike. I used this product many times as a child to stick together a multitude of home and school projects. Though I never used it like Pee Wee, I did have fun sticking it to my sisters hair or using it to pick up the dog's off of my sweater or the furniture. A couple backward wraps around the hand and "Voila!", instant lint remover.

Scotch tape is as large a part of Americana as Crayola Crayons, Hershey Bars, Noxema, Magic Markers and thousands of other products which have left their mark in our minds as well as their packaging in our landfills.

Here's to you Scotch 3M(tm)! Your consistency is to be admired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why does 3M need a review of a 50-year-old product?, November 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Maybe sales are down. Regardless, I got three rolls of tape for free. Thanks! Might as well give 3M a long review it never would have expected.

>> origin of the "Scotch" trademark <<

The Scots have at least one thing in common with homosexuals -- it's still okay to make unkind remarks about them. The Scots -- not the Scotch (that's liquor) -- have long been considered extremely tight-fisted. Donald's uncle Scrooge is therefore not a Duck, but a McDuck.

The story goes that 3M's automotive masking tape had either too little adhesive, or adhesive running only down the center of the tape. One of 3M's customers complained bitterly about this "Scotch" tape, and the name -- uh -- stuck. 3M even uses the "Highlander" trademark on its "budget" products.

>> origins of cellophane and Magic Mending tapes <<

Adhesive cellophane tape was originally designed to seal cellophane food packaging, which was new 80 years ago. It was fine for temporary use, but the cellophane gradually yellowed, dried, and became inflexible. The adhesive didn't last very long, either, and the tape would eventually peel loose, leaving a mess.

3M's answer to these problems was Magic Mending tape, which appeared in 1961. The matte-finish tape (which almost disappears on most surfaces) was made of a much-higher-performance material (than cellophane) that didn't dry out or crack. The adhesive was also much more stable. In particular, it was not readily absorbed by porous surfaces. The use of the word "mending" suggested that repairs made with the tape would last long enough to be trusted. This sort of tape has largely supplanted cellophane tape (though 3M still makes cellophane tape for applications where such high performance isn't needed, such as packaging).

I've been using Magic Mending tape for many years, and have never had reason to complain -- other than that it can be hard to find the end of the tape on a loose roll, then peel it without longitudinal tears. Of course, the tape is supposed to be in dispenser, in which case these problems (hardly ever) occur. I've never had anything taped with MMT come loose, unless I deliberately removed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there really a choice?, November 12, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Perhaps one of the surest ways of showing your age is to remark to a younger person that you no longer use the original Scotch tape. "What's that?" is likely to be the response, since the company's "Magic Tape" has now been with us longer that few of us realize. In fact, it appears to be unanimously preferred by the American consumer--to such a degree that I suspect the original tape is displayed alongside it primarily to give the consumer the "illusion of choice," or that extra little motivator to stock up on more Magic Tape.

Not only is Magic Tape more invisible and durable than the original Scotch tape but it is one of the most versatile products. Except for the wide and sturdy packing tape for those large packages and Amazon returns, this is one of my most used products--in my office (where it repairs torn manuscripts, permitting me to write over the damage), bedroom (right now, it's securing a dipole FM antenna to my side of the bed), on the hallway floor (where I wrap gifts). Were anyone limited to having life-time access to no more than 10 products sold on Amazon, which would you select and in what order would you prioritize them.

I'd probably be better off without any more electronic gadgetry. It would allow me time to read the books and listen to the hundreds of CDs that have as yet to receive my undivided attention. As the amounts of ink cartridges I consume should tell me, I'm already guilty of wasting far too many trees. Besides the Scotch Magic tape, I really can't think of a single other "thing" that would deserve to occupy my shelf of the products most essential to maintaining the good life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where would we be without Scotch Tape!, November 11, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those multi use products that you really can't do without in your home. I find the Scotch brand the best and well worth the few extra cents you pay for it compared to other cheaper brands. Out of all the non edible items in your home I think this is one of the constants that you need for everyday life. If you're like me you will always be looking to tape something. I have used this not only on packages but on the edges of my wallpaper when it decides to start lifting. Works great without being seen. Who would know but you that you did a little tlc repair. I've taped pencils back together with this when I've had my temper tantrum and broken on. Holds really good till I need to use that particular spot. Also works great in place of clips on chips, coffee bags and best of all putting up the precious hand drawn pictures on the refrigator that you get from your grandchildren that they sent you for one occassion or another. Don't have a bandaid in the house and need to cover a cut, put a piece of gauze or papertowel and some of our wonderfully magic tape to hold you over til you get to the store for bandaids. How many other products can you pay so little for with so many great uses.