4.0 out of 5 stars Tips and tricks 'from a friend'
In the usual Scott Kelby style he write these books as a collection of pointers to a friend photographer. Every page in all three books are written with one pointer or tip on each page. As Scott writes in the prelude:

Published on October 28, 2009 by K. Benny

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version Difficult to Use
This review is specific to the Kindle version of the box set. These are great books. So good, in fact that I bought the Kindle version for my iPad even though I already own a set of print edition. I intend to use this as a reference while traveling with my camera.

Published on December 11, 2010 by Bryansay

4.0 out of 5 stars Tips and tricks 'from a friend', October 28, 2009
This review is from: Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3 (Paperback)

"If you and I were out on a shoot, and you asked me, 'Hey, how do I get this flower to be in focus, but I want the background out of focus?' I wouldn't stand there and give you a lecture about aperture, exposure, and depth of field. In real life, I'd just say, 'Get out your telephoto lens, set your f/stop to f/2.8, focus on the flower, and fire away.' You would say, 'OK,' and you'd get the shot. That's what this book is all about. A book of you and I shooting, and I answer the questions, give you advice and share the secrets I've learned just like I would with a friend, without all the technical explanations and without all the techno-photo-speak."

This being said, this also means that he doesn't dwell deeply within each tip or pointer explaining _why_ everything works as it does. This is for the reader to find out researching the topic further in other reference books.
Surprisingly to me, this works very well! I thoroughly enjoyed reading these books and I would say that I have become a much better photographer reading through all the tips.

Book one is quite general in topic, spanning from how to create really sharp photos to a description of wedding photography. This book is, according to me, a must have in every digital photographers bookshelf. This book is also clearly aimed at beginner photographers.

Coming to book 2 and 3 they differ a bit, especially of how they are written. These books also have the 'pointer and tip' layout, but more detailed information can be found here. Book 2 for example describe thoroughly which gear to use when using flash and how to set up your mini-studio and book three goes even further on how to shoot specific subjects.

This box set offer any digital photographer a helicopter view of how to use your digital camera in the best way to get 'professional' photos. Primarily these books - as all Scott Kelby books - offer small insights of what to think about when shooting digital photos. Kelby also does this with a huge amount of humor, making all his books a joy to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version Difficult to Use, December 11, 2010

Despite my enthusiasm for the content, the Kindle edition set is very difficult to use. All three books are delivered as a single file, but the table of contents pulled up by the menu only refers to book one. To find the contents of book 2 & 3, one must search or manually scan the pages. This issue renders the Kindle book very difficult to use as a reference.

Updated: Amazon informs me that the only option is to contact the publisher or take a refund. With regret, I have accepted a refund and will continue to use the print edition. I cannot recommend that you buy the kindle edition of this set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good info for DSLR Beginners, October 21, 2009
These books are aimed a novice DSLR users. If you've done much photography or read up on the subject, you won't find much real new material in here. Fortunately, Scott Kelby avoids the traps of getting bogged down in the operational specifics of the equipment he is discussing (this is not a rehash of the Owners Guide). The books are to the point, light hearted and fun (with lots of the usual Kelby humor).

1.0 out of 5 stars This review is ONLY for the Kindle Version, January 13, 2011
Kevin (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Beware. You will receive a single eBook only. You will not receive all three copies of the book. If you want to get to volume 2 or 3 you must page through thousands of pages to find them. There is no table of contents for Volumes 2 & 3 at the front. My recommendation is to purchase the three individually as Amazon support was worthless and could not understand the problem. I returned this single edition and paid the extra $3 to get the books individually. Much nicer now as I can quickly access any chapter in all three books. Amazon really needs to figure this out or at least note this in the description. I am not sure if this goes for any book sold via Kindle as a multi-volume set. I know that I will never purchase a multi-volume set from Kindle again. As for Scott Kelby's Digital Photography book series I give it a 5 Star rating. I just want to save people from the hassle that I just had to go through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, December 14, 2009
These books are great for beginners who've usually invested in fancy camera gear and would now like to know - how does this damn thing work? And why don't my pics (weddings, babies, landscapes, flowers) look anything like the pros? Well, Kelby provides quick cook recipes for a host of usually occurring subjects and topics and enough info to get better than average shots. Enough to please you and your subject without getting into the tech details. And that's great for starters and for most people ...

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC book series for beginner photographers that doesn't make them feel like novices!, November 13, 2011
I'm a student at a private arts school pursuing my degree in photojournalism. I like to think that after my four years of study, I have a pretty great working knowledge of cameras and the craft of photography. Not that there isn't always more to learn. I never had this series of books when I was starting out with my first digital SLR camera, but I can honestly say that I wish I had.

About a year ago my father, who is retired, decided to take a digital photography class at his local community college, just to try something new. As an older student, he was nervous about showing up the first day without any knowledge whatsoever about digital cameras or photography, so he wanted to do a little prep work beforehand. I pointed him towards the Scott Kelby Digital Photography guides.

My father, like many people of his generation, isn't one who keeps up with the natural evolution of technology. He bought himself a nice Nikon dSLR, but was immediately overwhelmed by the numerous features and settings. The terminology (f stop, ISO, AV priority, etc) confused him and he found wading through the included manual daunting. The Scott Kelby books are great because he breaks down the photographer's vocabulary in very clear and relatable terms. There is no confusion. What's also really nice (and is something I've never seen in any other photography guide book) is that Kelby illustrates the features of digital SLRs through photographs of their menus (on both Nikon and Canon bodies) so that the user can follow along with the book.

It's great to see a final photograph and then have each step broken down so that you can recreate the effects in your own work. It isn't long after starting these books that my father grasped the basic concepts of aperture and ISO and shutter speed and how they all relate to one another in terms of composing a photograph. Then he was able to move on to more complicated and artistic endeavors with the help of Kelby's guides. I think the first book is essential in providing the reader with a fundamental working knowledge of the tools before tackling the more creative posibilities. We all have to start somewhere and I feel like a lot of other photography books forget that basic step.

By the time my father took his first class he was well ahead of his peers and was no longer intimadated by the technology and (almost) limitless possibilities of his digital camera. I hold these guides above all others as a great place for any new digital photographer to begin.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can get past his DRY humor, the books are perfect., March 30, 2010
I've had a camera in my hands since I was 5. And there are many tricks I've picked up along the way to make my photos all the more enjoyable. I decided to get really serious about photography during the film to digital crossover. But there wasn't enough information to help that could get through to me. Having dyslexia makes learning through text virtually unbearable. All too often, I have to have someone read it to me. And then a couple months ago, I came across Vol. 2 of this collection at the local library. I flipped at the structure Kelby put his lessons into...

Each page is a different lesson. Each lesson includes a photo. And it's all great information--much of which I could apply immediately--written as a conversation he'd be having with me while out on a shoot. Knowing all the technical jargon isn't as important as getting the shot. And with his instruction, I FINALLY understand what my owner's manual and all those magazine articles have been trying to explain!

Kelby found a way to teach with hands on learning right out of a book. And when it comes to learning how to take great pictures, it's really the only way to go. After making it halfway through Vol. 2, I hopped on Amazon and bought the 3 volume set so I could start from the beginning. And lemme tell ya, my photos have never been better! Applying what I'm learning to photos I share with my friends just shot me into semi-pro status. Once I can financial tackle the suggestions he's made, going Pro doesn't sound so daunting anymore.

I recommend this to every person I know with a DSLR camera; whether they're hobbyists, semi-pro or pro. This collection should be in every digital photographer's home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, it's better than my book..., March 23, 2011
Helpful Reviewer (Meridian, ID, United States) - See all my reviews
It's time to be honest. I have an eBook available on Kindle for beginning photographers called "Improve Your Photography: How Budding Photographers Can Get Pro Results." The absolute truth is that this book is WAY better than my own book. That's how good this is. I love how Scott Kelby has a lighthearted writing style, and I like that he gets right to the point with creative tips rather than the same old stuff I've heard over and over again. I have a lot of experience in photography and I learned a lot of new tips. Seriously, this is a fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous photography books! Fun AND informative!, September 8, 2010
There are so many photography books out there that it can be a daunting task to choose one. This set by Scott Kelby greatly exceeded my expectations. The content ranges from beginner to what I would call advanced/intermediate. I've been an DSLR user for almost 2 years, but was new to any photography terms/skills beyond point and shoot cameras. These books are set up to offer a variety of topics in small chunks. Each specific subject is on 1-2 page - Easy to read a little bit at a time. I always have one of these books with me to read at appointments or when waiting on kids in carpool lines. I can't emphasize enough that these books are both a valuable resource and a pleasure to read. My husband probably thinks I'm crazy when he sees me laughing out loud, holding a book on Digital Photography. Kelby's skill combined with a good dose of humor makes these books great. Hobbies like photography have so many technical aspects that, if taken too seriously, can be overwhelming to the kinds of people who actually need to read a photography book. I have learned a lot from this series. I would suggest reading them with page markers in hand to mark the pages you want to remember and reference later. My set has colored flags sticking up all over them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of books, November 24, 2009
Mar (Ventura, CA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this set after reading the previous reviews for it. I must say that this set is amazing. I've only read the first book and about half of the second book and the results are incredible. I've used this book as it should be, a reference. It is nothing more and nothing less. If you want to know how to set you camera up to shoot a sunset, then it tells you. It explains a little bit about the different settings such as aperature, shutter speeds, etc. But it doesn't get too deep. Just enough for you to understand what is being explained. I recommend this book to anyone that is ready to take the next step in digital photography.

Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3
Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3 by Scott Kelby (Paperback - October 3, 2009)
Used & New from: $17.99