Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Tall Fescue Mix, 7-Pound
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 26, 2012
I put down this seed in the fall of 2011, and saw growth in about 10 days. It grew aggressively till the cold winter temperatures came in. Once spring rolled around, I noticed my yard really kick into high gear and fill in. The color is just as rich as it is on the bag's picture.
I have 2 large dogs (Boxer and Golden Retriever) and the Tall Fescue has held up quite nicely. There are a few small spots that I will have to overseed, but other than that, it has been great and I am very happy with the results. Will be buying another bag to overseed in the fall.
review image
Turf type tall fescue (TTTF)is highly recommended by most state AG extension depts for lawns in the so-called transition zone, due to its drought tolerance and quick establishment. However, be aware that it does have significant limitations. The drought tolerance, which comes from its ability to root deeply, can be poor in clay soil, which is very common all over the country, but particularly in the Mid-Atlantic region, much of which is in the transition zone. The color is a dark green, but the blades are not as fine as Kentucky bluegrass, and they tend to get even wider as the grass ages, and if the turf starts to thin out, they begin to look like K-31. You also need to overseed bare spots constantly, because it is a bunch type grass that does not spread by rhizomes the way KBG does. It is also a significantly more prone to fungus than KBG, a mjor downside in the humid parts of the country. Finally, it does not really go dormant in high heat/drought the way KBG does -- it survives because it finds water in the deep roots. If the roots are not deep, like in clay soil, it will be toast above about 90F. So I would say this -- if you do not have clay soil, this is going to be a great choice. But if your soil usually feels brick hard in summer, meaning it has a lot of clay, I'd try either KBG or perennial ryegrass, which do much better in compacted soils.
on January 2, 2013
I used this in my backyard in Ca to fill in some bare patches and reseed half the lawn. After a month the patches have been filled in nicely. I will purchase again if need be.
on April 24, 2013
Let me start by saying this was my first time laying seed. I live in area with not so great soil, which is a mixture of sand, clay, and dirt in some spots. So for someone trying to grow grass, it would be quite a challenge. After much research, and first hand recommendations I settled on this product.

I followed most of the directions on the bag and even with a few tweaks ( not by choice) I still had some grass growing. The bag says within a week or two provided you water daily. Unfortunately I live in a home that does not have a means of watering a lawn. And just my luck the ONE TIME I lay seed down, there was no rain in the forecast for almost three weeks. I seeded early spring by the way.

Yet still to my amazement and surprise the seedlings started to grow. Small spurts here and there, which progressed to almost full patches. Then when I started getting some rain it really started coming up. Inconsistent of course but I can't complain. I would definitely recommend this for anyone living in area with poor soil.
on October 5, 2012
It has been about 2 weeks and we started seeing results after 5 days. The grass grows thick and tight. We used it to regrow grass in some patches we had in the front and back lawns and it worked. My neighbors have asked me about these seeds and I am actually getting a bag for one of them!
on June 11, 2015
I've spread about 1/6 of this bag on to a 3 sq. yd area of my yard. After about 5 weeks of diligent watering, and aerating the soil, it's finally started seeing them sprout up. But it's really apparent to me that not all the seeds are sprouting properly.
on May 17, 2013
This seed didn't work well for me. Over the period of two months only the patches that I ended up babysitting and covering with potting soil sprouted a few clusters of new grass. My lawn still ended up looking AWESOME because of SCOTTS Weed and Feed, so SCOTTS I am not mad at you, but this seed sucked for me.
on December 24, 2013
After having a new septic installed, there was a large area that needed to be seeded. The contractor did a very poor job hydroseeding, so I have to cover it myself. This product helped a lot and covered the area needed in direct sun light. Had to buy a bigger bag to finish the job.
on August 22, 2013
I ordered this product to fill in spots in my lawn that grubs had eaten away. The new grass started coming in around the 15th day after seeding however the coverage is very spotty (that's why only 4 stars). I have reseeded in the areas that are still blank and hope they start to fill in soon.
on January 8, 2013
I bought the seeds for winter planting. I did'nt know if this was the right seeds.To my surprise
my lawn is nice and green.

See 1 answered question