Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 6, 2011
The kit is pretty straight forward. It comes with 2 strips of emery cloth that is pretty easily stuck in place. My mower, being several years old and never sharpened took a lot to get it somewhat sharp though. I think I went back and forth about 50 feet each way about 10 times before quitting. This solution is definitely cheaper than sending the mower in to get sharpened unless you have a reasonably priced shop nearby that does it.
on June 8, 2014
I'm glad I bought this. My reel mower is working beautifully now!

However, figuring out how to attach this to the mower took some trial and error. You have to widen the space between the blades and cutting plate, and that involves adjusting four screws on the mower. It took me awhile to figure out that a little goes a long way...you don't have to turn the screws very much at all to reposition the parts correctly. Ditto readjusting once you're done.

I'm giving the product 4 stars instead of 5 because the directions (and their photos) could have been a lot more helpful. But the bottom line is, it worked.
on January 12, 2013
Easy to assemble, easy to install, easy to push around and sharpen. A bit loud, and all your neighbors will wonder what you're doing repeatedly mowing the sidewalk :-P
on June 15, 2013
It's relatively easy to use, and it makes my reel mower feel like new. I found this video helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLKMt_QyOE
on September 24, 2014
I cannot knock the product itself, but as its installation is part of its use, I had to take away a couple stars. The paper instructions it comes with a largely useless. (But they are in French, too! Merci!) Thankfully, Scotts has a YouTube video on how to install and use. Still, it is pretty tricky adjusting the level to sharpen, then to return to its cutting height. It took a while, and I'm still making fine-tunings with each subsequent use.
on July 3, 2015
This is a great little device. I have a Mascot 18 inch push (human) powered reel mower. The device is 20 inches long, but it was easy to cut down to 18 inches with a hack saw. It took me a while to figure out how much to pull my reel away from the bed knife (cutting blade), but once I figured out that it is a pretty good distance, I was able to install the device (over the bed knife) and then I just kept tightening my reel until it started having friction against the device. From that point it was easy. I just pushed my power on my driveway a few times and I could see the reel blades were now shiny on the edge. I then loosened the reel, and removed the device. Next, I tightened my reel until it was next to my bed knife, then tweaked each side using paper strips testing each blade and area across the 18 inches. Now, every area of my mower cuts likes scissors!

The device came with three grit sheets that attach to the device with adhesive. The first one has so little wear, I will be able to use again.
on July 10, 2014
This is a fantastic item. My mower was very rusty and in dire need of sharpening. After reading the instructions, and installing the kit. I did as instructed and in no time the blade was sharp as a razor. Now I sharpen once a week prior to mowing lawn. I love it - I get exercise and the lawn looks good.
on June 24, 2013
I purchased this instead of the paste we normally use because it seemed like an easier method. Unfortunately we had to move the blades on our mower to attach it and then it was very difficult to get them back in the correct position. Also the sand paper hits the same place on the blade each rotation so it put some grooves on the blades.
on June 25, 2015
Doesn't work well at all. Adhesive on the back of the sandpaper wasn't sticky so I had to use double stick tape to attach the paper to the sharpener. That didn't work well. Do not recommend. Also very difficult to follow directions if you aren't familiar with the different parts of the mower.
on June 27, 2016
Thank goodness for this sharpening kit. Without it, we thought we'd have to buy a new mower. This sharpening kit works wonders. Was a little time consuming attaching the sharpener.. but once sharpened, made cutting grass a hundred times easier.