4.0 out of 5 stars it works.
Published on August 6, 2011 by Jamy M. Johnston

2.0 out of 5 stars DIdn't work as well as I had hoped
I purchased this instead of the paste we normally use because it seemed like an easier method. Unfortunately we had to move the blades on our mower to attach it and then it was very difficult to get them back in the correct position. Also the sand paper hits the same place on the blade each rotation so it put some grooves on the blades.
Published 18 months ago by Bibliophile

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars it works., August 6, 2011
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
The kit is pretty straight forward. It comes with 2 strips of emery cloth that is pretty easily stuck in place. My mower, being several years old and never sharpened took a lot to get it somewhat sharp though. I think I went back and forth about 50 feet each way about 10 times before quitting. This solution is definitely cheaper than sending the mower in to get sharpened unless you have a reasonably priced shop nearby that does it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
Easy to assemble, easy to install, easy to push around and sharpen. A bit loud, and all your neighbors will wonder what you're doing repeatedly mowing the sidewalk :-P

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to Attach, But It Really Worked, June 8, 2014
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
I'm glad I bought this. My reel mower is working beautifully now!

However, figuring out how to attach this to the mower took some trial and error. You have to widen the space between the blades and cutting plate, and that involves adjusting four screws on the mower. It took me awhile to figure out that a little goes a long way...you don't have to turn the screws very much at all to reposition the parts correctly. Ditto readjusting once you're done.

I'm giving the product 4 stars instead of 5 because the directions (and their photos) could have been a lot more helpful. But the bottom line is, it worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy solution that works, June 15, 2013
ClimberDad (Northampton, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
It's relatively easy to use, and it makes my reel mower feel like new. I found this video helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLKMt_QyOE

2.0 out of 5 stars DIdn't work as well as I had hoped, June 24, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars product = good, installation = meh!, September 24, 2014
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
I cannot knock the product itself, but as its installation is part of its use, I had to take away a couple stars. The paper instructions it comes with a largely useless. (But they are in French, too! Merci!) Thankfully, Scotts has a YouTube video on how to install and use. Still, it is pretty tricky adjusting the level to sharpen, then to return to its cutting height. It took a while, and I'm still making fine-tunings with each subsequent use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me $88 bucks!, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
My local hardware store charges $88 to sharpen bades. My mower only cost $50! Thank God for Amazon.com. This was very easy to use. It worked well to sharpen my reel push mower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really gotta take the time to adjust it properly, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
But when you do, it does just what it's supposed to - sharpen the blades, and well. It's also the easiest way to sharpen the blades if you don't have a vice and a grinder, which most of us don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic item. My mower was very rusty and in ..., July 10, 2014
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
This is a fantastic item. My mower was very rusty and in dire need of sharpening. After reading the instructions, and installing the kit. I did as instructed and in no time the blade was sharp as a razor. Now I sharpen once a week prior to mowing lawn. I love it - I get exercise and the lawn looks good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharpened the blades, June 4, 2013
Ellen Slentz (Mays Landing, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotts Classic Sharpening Kit - Reel Mower
It effectively sharpened the blades, but I had difficulty adjusting the mower blades, the sharpener worked fine and was easy to use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›