5.0 out of 5 stars Small size packs a wallop! Great Game Camera!!
Published 17 months ago by Keith D. Sniadach

2.0 out of 5 stars camera
This would be a great camera for a young techie but it is not for the average older deer hunter.It is too complicated. There is no way to aim the camera at the center of the area you want to photograph. The older cameras had an infrared beam to aim at the feeder so you could center the photos. Everything in this camera is built into the door of the camera that opens so...
Published 6 months ago by James Wragg

5.0 out of 5 stars Small size packs a wallop! Great Game Camera!!, May 16, 2013
This review is from: ScoutGuard 85-Feet Long Range SG565F-8M White Flash Night Color Trail Scouting Hunting Game Camera (Sports)
After 2 weeks of using this, I can honestly say this game camera is the best I've ever owned -- so far! I hope it continues to operate as it has. Right now, it is simply awesome! However, I am a bit leery about game cams as I've gone through at least 7 or 8 of them over the past 15 years or so and have been burned big time-- from Wildview to Wildgame to Tasco and all the rest. FYI, stay far away from Wildview and Wildgame!! JUNK!
So far, the ScoutGuard beats every one I've ever bought by a mile. I was very surprised at the small size -- It's only a little bigger than my Kodak EasyShare camera. I'm very pleased with the pictures, the battery consumption and the trigger speed. I set the photo setting to 8 megapixels (there are two settings 5 and 8 megapixel). The pics are crystal clear and bright! The flash is, by far, the best flash on any camera I've owned too. It reaches out far, it's strong and the colors really pop. Also, not sure about other reviewers, but there is no blurring in the pics, day or night. They are sharp, crisp and clear and a nice wide area to capture anything that comes into view. I have not yet tried the AVI mode. Pictures though -- Very impressive and very rich looking pics! A++
The detection range is better than any other cam I've ever owned too. It picked up 3 deer, in daylight, over 90 feet away. Very surprising and better than the advertised 85 feet detection range. A++
It uses AA batteries, and they do no drain like the various other game cam models I've owned either. I'm using 8 Duracell AA's until I can buy some rechargeables. After two weeks and 60 pics, they still read at over 2/3 charge. I give an A for now until I check them again in 2 weeks.
Another great addition is the included plug-in mini LCD screen/camera setting attachment. You open the cam and plug it in to the underside port and, from the LCD screen, you can set the time easily, view the pics (although the screen is very tiny), and change the various modes and pictures settings. All very simple and easy. This gets an A+++ because it doesn't even mention in the Amazon listing that it comes with it!
It has been out in the rain and so far it does not leak at all like prior models.
I have no idea what other reviewers are claiming about an included memory card or batteries. The box on mine does not say either one is included and I did not expect them to be.
There are a few drawbacks to the camera, but they are cosmetic. It is a little tough to take out the memory card. The memory card port is beneath the battery compartment (on the underside of the unit once you open it up) and it's hard for me to get my finger between the front edge of the housing and the back of the card to extract it. Minor complaint. That presents a problem especially when you don't want to unstrap the cam from the tree and then re-strap it. It's a pain and time consuming. Also, it is hard to read the tiny printing on the bottom too-- most especially when the cam is still attached to the tree. I had to loosen the strap enough to be able to twist the cam enough to read the underside. It's a pain to unstrap it then re-strap it to the tree. There is tiny embossed printing for the OFF/ON switch in black. It should be white or better yet, flourescent. For as small as it is, it should be more legible. Also the plug-in port for the LCD screen is so small that it is hard to make sure you have it inserted properly without unstrapping the cam and turning it over and really looking. Again, cosmetic and I'll live.
Overall though, I'm very impressed with the ScoutGuard and hope it continues operating as it has the first 2 weeks. The minor cosmetic problems are so far dwarfed by the awesome pics, great flash, long range motion sensor and good battery consumption.

UPDATE~~~~)

Well, it is now September 12, 2013 (almost 4 months since I purchased and put the camera up) and I still have the same 8 batteries in the camera from day 1! Simply the best camera, bar none, at battery consumption. Unbelievable! It's taken well over 1,500 pictures (probably closer to 2,000) and the battery icon still reads 1/3 power. I will take the camera down in the late fall, so I'm hoping they will hold out until at least early November. Either way, I am ecstatic over the camera. It truly is the best I've ever owned. I've never had a camera where I did NOT need to install new batteries after a week or two. Very few false positives. I've tried the AVI recording too. It is a bit grainy, but still almost as good as my digital camera. I can't complain.
I still have a problem extracting the memory card and now use a pair of small pliers to pull it out since my fingers are too big to grab hold of it.
The remote control is not very intuitive either and I use my digital camera to review pictures in the field. But, overall . . . this camera gets an A++++. I'm very happy with it and feel it is the best on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far I'm loving it!, July 18, 2013
I just got the camera and put it up last night. Impression so far - I'm loving it!
Pros - Photos from last night are just what I wanted - clear, color, sharp photos. The flash didn't seem to bother the animals - buck, coyote, and opossum. I haven't really used the remote control yet (except for set up) but looking forward to trying it out.

Cons: The instructions appear to be written by someone or whom English is a second language. They require a little interpretation and the illustrations aren't clear. However, the camera is pretty easy to figure out.

So far this camera seems to really suit my needs. Its not my first game camera but could become my favorite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Flash, September 17, 2013
UbenSlayed (MARSHALLTOWN, IA, US) - See all my reviews
I was thinking the 8mb pics would be a bit better, but having them in color makes up for it..Don't put this camera too close to the animal you want to take a pic of in the dark. The flash is very bright and your pics will be very washed out..I am planning to purchase another soon and it wasnt hard to set this camera up..If you can read what I just wrote, you can set this camera using the instructions.. Iowa Bowhunter

5.0 out of 5 stars TAKES NIGHT PICTURES WITH COLOR AND CLAIRITY, August 26, 2013
THIS IS A PERFECT CAMERA FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS INTERESTED IN GETTING GOOD WILDLIFE PHOTOS. THE ONLY THING THAT I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE IS THE DIAMETER OF THE HOLE FOR A SECURITY LOCK IT IS TOO SMALL TO FIT A LOCK INTO

4.0 out of 5 stars ScoutGuard SG565F-8M White Flash Night Color Trail Camera:, October 20, 2014
Chad "SD Slim" (WICKENBURG, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
We use the camera to watch a small water-feature on our rural property to see who visits at night. The initial setup takes a little trial-and-error to get the sensitivity and flash brightness adjusted. I find the dongle control box fairly useless, other than it is required for setup; the screen is "tiny" - - the characters are so small you'll need a recent prescription on your glasses if you wear them to read the words on the setup screen, and it's essentially impossible to view any pictures beyond determining "something" tripped the shutter. For reviewing pictures it's easier (for me) to just remove the SD-card and stick in it the computer to see what I captured. Picture quality is fairly good, thou a few tries to get it adjusted were required. -

4.0 out of 5 stars Great photos, March 5, 2014
Works great . I had to try placing the camera in different locations with a downward angle.
caught the Dogs next door at 2 00am snooping around and a lone jackrabbit .
if its windy outside it will take many false photos .

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Quality Photos in Color!, February 15, 2014
This takes very nice and clear pictures. It is very easy to set up. I purchased a memory card to make it operational. I am completely satisfied with the form and function of this trail-cam. It takes very sharp pictures that are in color. It uses a flash unit for night-time use rather than ultraviolet light. While some may prefer the ultraviolet light for darkness (perhaps less spooking of game animals), I appreciate the color pictures for both daytime and nighttime use. The pictures are easy to download and with the right memory card, it will hold hundreds of pictures.

It runs on batteries, so do not let this sit for a long period of time in storage with the batteries in the unit, as batteries are notorious for leaking and ruining electronics.

This makes a great method to take pictures of backyard animals.

kone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, January 3, 2014
Have several infrared cameras but wanted non-blurry nightime photos.Works as advertised. Great day & nightime color photos. Long battery life. Very long range flash.If still working after 6 mo. will give it five stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great so Far...in the Rainforest, November 30, 2013
We are conducting a long-term biodiversity survey on our property in Costa Rica. 3 of these cameras were deployed in mid-July along with several others cameras like Bushnell, Moutrie, and Cuddeback.

We mostly had them set in picture mode, but one was set on day/video mode. The night time pictures were great and the daytime pictures were very good. The day video was on the grainy side and seemed to have trouble with the contrast. The trigger mechanisms seemed to be inconsistent also.

In the future, we'll probably use these cameras for still shots. This was a short two week sample, but the cameras remain working and we'll have updates in January.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 28, 2014
This camera is awesome. Very good color pictures day/night. Not 1 problem with it. :)