Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on October 26, 2013
This is a decent set,half I loved..and the other half I thought was so-so. Still a good buy

-The Outing (1987): full screen, picture looks like a high quality VHS, no extras
It's about a evil genie that gets unleashed and causes rampage. It start off slow but picks up and doesn't stop. My favorite of the set.

-The Vagrant (1992): widescreen,has great picture, no extras
It's about a man moving into a new home but there's a bum that starts to make his life a living hell.
The movie is fun and there's never a dull moment..I enjoyed it a lot.

-What's the Matter with Helen (1971): widescreen, has great picture, no extras
It's about two women who sons go to prison for murder, the women start to get death threats. So they move to California to
get away from all that. But still this person keeps calling and one of the woman starts to see a man outside of their place.
The movie is a slow burner with a small kill count, I found it not really my cup of tea.

-The Godsend (1980): widescreen, has good picture, no extras
It's about a family who comes across a lost pregnant women so they take her in. She then has the baby at their house then
just vanishes. So they take care of the baby as their own..while it gets older it kills...it's a demon child.
The movie again is a slow burner but it's okay..I wouldn't watch it again.
on November 5, 2013
I like this set a lot, I've watched all the movies except Whats the matter with Helen, I really enjoyed the 3 I watched, they were all entertaining and kept my interest, they are B movies, but all really well done and memorable each having a good pace and interesting storyline, I like this set much better than the Vol.2 set which I found pretty boring for the most part, but I recommend this one.
on November 1, 2013
I've been looking for "The Outing" on DVD for a very long time. I'm really glad to finally get a copy. This movie is suspenseful and keeps you on the edge of your seat. A must for fans of monster movies.
on October 16, 2013
This is a short and sweet review. 2 movies to a disc, but not as bad as Movies 4 You, which had 4 movies to a disc. "What's the Matter With Helen" was already on the Midnite Movie label, and this is just as clear as that. Also, the correct aspect ratio of 1.85:1(IMDB the same). "The Vagrant" has its DVD debut, is the correct aspect ratio of 1.85:1(IMDB the same) and the picture looks pretty good, nothing to compare it to.

"The Godsend" has its DVD debut also, but shows at 1.66:1(IMDB says 2.35:1). The color is pretty good and again, nothing to compare it to. Last is "The Outing", also DVD debut(had a DVD Pal) which is shown at 1.37:1 (IMDB says 1.85:1). Color is lousy, picture is dark, blacks blown out, no detail in night scenes, the whole movie is dark. Where did they get this print from, I wonder?

All in all, it didn't rate higher than a 3 star because of 2 movies are not in their correct aspect ratio. One already is in another set and one is a lousy print...but worth the $9 for the 4, but only for the two.
77 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2013
Thank you Shout Factory for releasing the Godsend and The Outing. I'm not going to complain, I'm just thankful to have these 2 hard to get films on DVD at all. As for the quality, it's passable and I watched it ok on my full-HD widescreen TV. I know sometimes it's darn near impossible to get perfect master transfer tapes. So again thank you Shout, thank you so much.
on July 23, 2015
I’m not going to attempt to give these flicks the scholarly analysis they deserve but I will give a brief rundown of each and scribble whatever pops into mind.

WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? – If you enjoy watching Shelley Winters act the loon then you might want to give this a look. I won’t say what it is but its possible Fatal Attraction stole an idea from this film..? Not exactly captivating but would recommend to fans of strange cinema as a one-timer. Nice ending. FYI: Must avoid the musical numbers. Run far, far away from them. You’ve been warned.

THE VAGRANT – I thought I had the whodunit angle figured out but nope I had it all wrong. Dark comedy/satire has its moments but kinda fell apart towards the end. The steamroller lost its momentum and then took a dump without so much as bothering to wipe either. Definitely worth a look and who knows… you might get more out of it than I did.

THE GODSEND – Okay creepy kid award goes to. Believe me any rational adult would throw this little turd off a cliff. Slight riff on The Omen this peculiar little thriller is. Kind of lukewarm, but watch out for a brief but hard-to-forget appearance by Angela Pleasence whom, without much to do here, is still quite chilling in her near-somnambulant role, taking a backseat only to the insanely creepy (when she wants to be) Sheila Keith.

THE OUTING – Evil genie on the loose/dead teenager hybrid, 80s style… requisite slasher undertones (or is that overtones); bodycount movie. It does have some cool effects such as the scene where a guy has his head painfully turned all the way around and a cool bitten off fingers/blood-spurt gag. Great tagline – Don’t say see you later… say goodbye!
on August 7, 2015
A night in with a bunch of movies I haven't seen before except one. The Outing, I liked it from the first time I seen it on video and being different just left that mark on you. Storyline is great and the acting was fantastic, suspense was chilling so will they survive the night. Okay it's time to tell you a little bit about it, a daughter who's father is in charge of the museum decides to visit there one night with a group of friends, now that said it all doesn't it. People just don't learn or listen but that is our own mistake, now back to the show while they are exploring the museum they come across some new pieces and really don't know how dangerous they are. I liked it as my interest was fixed on the great acting and storyline so I rated this an A grade for the mystery, which is there to catch the unweary and put that tense moment all the way throughout. So time for the movie and relaxation to a classic that will have an impact on you. Enjoy!
on October 22, 2014
I love horror packs. This was a great pack. I had wanted to see the Vagrant forever and it was certainly worth it! Overall all four films, are worthwhile and worth the buy. What's the matter with Helen is a classic. Horror fans should definitely add this to their collections!
on December 26, 2013
Too many reviewers have given you their two cents on the picture and sound, so I'll just put in my say quickly about these films:
"What's the Matter with Helen?" I understand was added in place of an Italian horror film that was supposed to fill its slot, so I am disappointed that it's included here. However, I probably wouldn't have ordered the "Who Slew Auntie Roo?" disc from Midnite Movies either, and the picture/sound is good on this one. A fairly obvious, but creepy, shocker involving a clearly deranged Shelley Winters.
"The Vagrant" I could not sit through, but I didn't put much effort into it. A silly film from Chris Wallis, whom we should demand more from considering all of his great work on the "The Fly" and "The Fly II." An idiotic time waster.
"The Godsend"--while I have yet to read the novel that this film is allegedly based upon, I have to say that the film is ripe to be rediscovered by historians. One view posits that the film is boring and pointless, not to mention slow. I think the filmmakers tried to make a serious drama (for the most part) and sold their film as "horror" which ultimately did not do the film a service. The performances are interesting, but there is not much else here to recommend the film--"The Bad Seed" this is not, but I think there may be a more interesting film here than most people have posited.
"The Outing"--Okay, another disappointment. I was hoping for "The Lamp" to get a proper, special features-packed U. S. DVD release. What a dreamer, right? If you Wikipedia Warren Chaney you will be floored by the amount of work and productions that this guy has been associated with, and I'm not just talking films/movies. This guy is obviously smart and a hard worker, to put it mildly. However, this junky script is not his best work, and the cast/crew (including Chaney himself) obviously didn't put much thought or effort into the effects or into the (weak) story. For a church-going man of commitment, Chaney's work here is trashy and too much involved with playing to the teen/silly nudity/gory scares crowd. But what upsets me is the lack of story development. Geez. The picture and sound appeared okay to me, but the other complaints on here on not without merit. But apparently "The Lamp" is a better edit (not to mention a better film, that allegedly makes more sense) so maybe some day we will get a Warren Chaney film set...won't we? Oh forget it...
on January 12, 2014
This one surprised the hell out of me because the only reason I heard to own this collection was to get "The Outing" (aka The Lamp) on DVD for the first time. The Outing was without a doubt the weakest movie in this collection!!!!!!!! On to the individual reviews:

What's the Matter with Helen: This was quite a bit more watchable than I had really supposed. I figured I would be in for a slow burner with the "big shock" at the end, I was right, but I fully enjoyed the journey there. Well acted. 4 out of 5.

The Vagrant: Wow, I can't believe I had never heard of this film. I was expecting something straight horror, not trippy surrealistic horror. It's got Bill Paxton (Game Over, Man!!!!!!), the always great Michael Ironside, and Marshall Bell (Kuato's twin brother) as the titular Vagrant. Definitely a hidden gem. I was a little torn over the ending though. 4 out of 5.

The Godsend: Hmmm, I'll say this about this movie; I didn't yawn once, but I was never fully entertained either. This is your standard creepy kid movie like The Omen. Thing is The Omen's Damien was actually somewhat unnerving while Godsend's "Bonnie" isn't. Well acted. 3 out of 5.

The Outing: What a waste of potential. The genie looked great, a pity it didn't appear till the last 15 minutes of the movie. When a movie uses possessed people and telekinetically flying objects as the main baddie for most of the film you know you're in trouble. The weakest of the set. 2 out of 5.