4.0 out of 5 stars With a cherry on top!
Just finished this fun read. A perfect stocking stuffer for family and friends or a fun beach read if you're not in chilly New England like I am. The characters are engaging, Watson made me care about and root for the main character from the start. Without that, I can't get into a book.
Published on December 3, 2009 by Kimberly R. Stagliano

3.0 out of 5 stars It Was A Good Book, However There Was One Thing I Didn't Appreciate
I've read a few of the Cozy Mysteries now and, while they are entertaining, I can always figure out who the killer is after the first few chapters. "I Scream, You Scream" left me guessing all the way to the end. To me, that's what makes a mystery a good one. One thing I did not like about the book was the author using the Lord's name in vain. It was totally uncalled for...
Published 18 months ago by Jareca C. Lee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars With a cherry on top!, December 3, 2009
This review is from: I Scream, You Scream: A Mystery a la Mode (Mass Market Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted and very entertaining, March 2, 2010
The cover from "I scream, you scream" by Wendy Lyn Watson promises a light-hearted and entertaining book and that's exactly what you get.

Tallulah Jones is happy with her life even though it's way more complicated than it was for a long time. After getting rid of her cheating ex-husband Wayne it's finally time to live her own life. So Tally bought her own home and her own little ice-cream parlor and life could be great. But when her ex-husband's new girlfriend Brittanie is murdered and the boy (Finn, now one sexy as hell man) she once loved comes back into her life it start's to get really complicated.
So instead of enjoying her new life Tally begins to investigate the murder of Brittanie, because her ex Wayne may be a cheating bastard but he is no murderer.

I read "I scream, you scream" when I was sick and in need to be entertained. And that's exactly what this book did.
The heroine Tally is just awesome. She is like a butterfly. After 18 years of marriage to one guy she finally realizes that she has the chance to change her life the way she wants to. She is honest, very likable and a bit unsure about who she really is. It's great to accompany her on the journy to learn more about her own wishes and dreams. I especially enjoyed about Tally that she realizes that it's time to move on and that looking back to the mistakes she made (like breaking up with Finn) is no use. That Finn is back into her life and that there may be a future for them is also very exciting.
Finn is a very interesting character and the future will show if he is the man for Tally.
The secondary characters are very well-written and added a lot of fun to the story. Even the more shadier characters are interesting and sometimes even sweet.
The mystery is not very dark and I couldn't solve it on my own until the end. The murder is not the main part of the book, it's all about Tally and her life (and that's great!).

Book two in the series "Scoop to Kill: A Mystery a La Mode" will be published in September 2010 and I will definitely read it because I enjoyed "I scream, you scream" a lot and want to learn more about Tally's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved this book, February 24, 2010
B. West "Mom of 2" (Huntington Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book for myself while shopping for Christmas presents last year and I'm so glad I did. I loved it. I'm a busy working mom of 2 and need something that doesn't require too much energy to keep up with the plot. My only time to read is right before bed so I like mysteries that are still lighthearted and fun. This book fit all of those requirements. I love murder mysteries and this one has a bit of a romantic twist in it which made it cute. I loved Watson's writing style and sense of humor. I'm looking forward to reading more adventures with Tallulah Jones and her ice cream shop!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and well-written, February 24, 2010
Betty (Montclair, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book a lot and recommended it to a friend, who loves this type book. I look forward to many more in this series. I hope the author is a fast writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Scoop, Please!, January 20, 2010
Story Eyed Dreamer (Fort Worth, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I absolutely LOVE Tally and her entire, whacky family. I even feel somewhat endeared toward Wayne the Pain at time. Excellent writing from an excellent author, I truly can't wait to read the next book! This is a MUST READ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Murder Mystery - Debut Author, December 22, 2009
cb (Minot, ND) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I found this book and I like the concept that Tally is dealing with ex-husband, opening up an ice cream shop, ex-high school boyfriend shows up and then MURDER. Tally is a `person of interest' in the murder and decides to find the killer on her own - it was great! The blurb on the back got me and the story was fun and I didn't not figure out the killer until it was exposed. Can't believe she is a debut author - off to add her next book to my wish list Scoop to Kill: A Mystery a La Mode due out Sep 7, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful amateur sleuth, November 5, 2009
In Dalliance, Texas, recently divorced Tallulah "Tally" Jones is worried that business is down at her ice cream store Remember the A La Mode. That is the only reason she agreed to provide the dessert for her former husband's annual party for people connected to Wayne's Weed and Seed. She has no fond feelings towards the man she was married to for seventeen years as her spouse ran around until he dumped her for a twenty something beautiful man-ater Brittanie.

At the gala, almost all the attendees are intoxicated including the babe Brittanie. The very next day Wayne comes to Tally's house because Brittanie died in his bed and he needs his former wife to tell the cops he was with her last night. Tally refuses to lie, bur ponders who might have wanted her dead. The cops find antifreeze in cups that Tally made especially for Wayne. Tally goes from bystander to prime suspect as she has motive, means, and opportunity to eliminate her rival. To stay out of jail, Tally investigates Brittanie's life, which means scooping up the town's dirt.

This is a delightful amateur sleuth that is not only exciting, but also never melts down. Tally is complex especially when it comes to Wayne who she pities. The reason for the homicide is very sad as Wendy Lyn Watson makes a case that anyone could be a killer if the circumstances warrant it. With a light touch mostly brought by friend Bree who sums up the enjoyable I SCREAM, YOU SCREAM while serving ice cream with "pick your poison".

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, November 5, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick, enjoyable easy read. It was funny, had a great story, and just a bit of romance. I can't wait for the next installment. Highly recommended!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just cutesy, April 26, 2010
I picked this up thinking it might be cute with the whole ice cream store theme, but was pleasantly surprised to find I really enjoyed it. The mystery was good, plenty of possible suspects, and Tally made me laugh with some of the unorthodox yet reasonable avenues she takes to do some sleuthing. I will read more from this author, and so should you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut!, April 2, 2010
What a fun new series! Tally is a great lead and Bree is an even better sidekick. The supporting cast is a lot of fun and the story kept me guessing until the very end.

Looking forward to the next in the series!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I Scream, You Scream: A Mystery a la Mode
I Scream, You Scream: A Mystery a la Mode by Wendy Lyn Watson (Mass Market Paperback - October 6, 2009)
$6.99 $6.29