5.0 out of 5 stars The only person you can control is yourself.
Published on August 2, 2005 by E. Bukowsky

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed
OK, I bought and read ScreamFree Parenting and have to say I was unimpressed. He really does not give you any "action oriented" parenting advice and I could probably boil the book down to a few bullet points:

1. Work on keeping yourself calm in the face of children melting down.
Published on November 17, 2008 by Tim Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars The only person you can control is yourself., August 2, 2005
"ScreamFree Parenting," by Hal Runkel, is an excellent parenting guide that will help moms and dads everywhere to keep (or regain) their sanity. Runkel is a licensed family and marriage therapist and one of the founders of ScreamFree Living, Inc. The book's thesis is that parents cannot keep tabs on their kids 24/7, nor can they force their children to consistently behave in a certain way. Therefore, mothers and fathers would be better off learning to focus on how they react to their children's words and actions.

Parents, Runkel contends, should take stock of themselves. Are they in control of their behavior when they interact with their children? Or are they at the mercy of their "emotional reactivity"--their unthinking, knee-jerk reactions? If the latter is true, it is likely that parent-child interactions will be tense, angry, and unproductive.

All of us who have struggled with parental responsibilities instinctively realize that a calm and reasoned approach is far more effective than a hysterical and dictatorial one. However, because of fatigue, ignorance, or inertia, many of us instinctively lash out, saying things that we don't really mean when our kids push our buttons. What to do?

Runkel does not advocate a permissive parenting style. Rather, the author recommends what he calls "judo parenting." Judo is "the art of going with another's momentum." A ScreamFree parent facilitates rather than dictates; he encourages his children to use their own resources to solve problems. By helping kids to get in the habit of making their own decisions and living with the consequences, parents will be more likely to launch "self-directed" adults.

Runkel's writing style is clear, concise, humorous, and to-the-point. The book is conveniently divided into easy-to-read sections and the chapters all conclude with thought-provoking "reflection questions." The author provides many practical examples to demonstrate how his principles work in the real world. Runkel's amusing quotations from a wide variety of sources add liveliness to his message. In additon, there are lengthier anecdotes that are taken from Runkel's experiences as a family therapist. Most parents will pick up many useful tips from "ScreamFree Parenting." It is an entertaining, intelligent, and practical approach to raising our kids without losing our minds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Save your voice box, October 10, 2005
I've been trying to cut down on yelling and work through problems by staying calm, which is the approach Runkel, a licensed family and marriage therapist, advocates. The book is an easy read and doesn't overwhelm the parent with too many steps as self-help books often do.

The clear, direct, and humorous writing style allows parents with hectic lives to quickly read the book, absorb its concepts, and put them to use. Each chapter ends with reflection questions to reinforce the themes from the chapter. The book continues its effectiveness whether or not the reader answers the questions. However, thinking about the questions might shed light on you, your kids, and your relationships.

The concept of parents not letting their emotions guide their response to a child's troubles is not new, but Runkel shares stories, experiences, and explanations on how to do it. Sure, junior spilling juice all over the carpet can make any parent mad, but dealing with the situation while maintaining control has better results than a scream fest, spanking, or arguing.

Though the book focuses on parenting, its concepts largely address ourselves as individuals. For we have to take care of us first before others. Instead of permissive or dictatorship parenting, Runkel encourages judo parenting, which is "the art of going with another's momentum." He shows how to do this by providing the answers to the questions all parents get like "I'm bored," "Are we there yet?" and "I hate you!"

Two nitpicks. First, there are a few religious references. I wish this had been omitted because religion is a hot issue and the book's concepts fly well without the religious quotes or references. Using these unnecessarily limits the book's reach as people who skim the book might get the impression it's only for Christian parents. It's not.

The second is not an issue, but rather a want for more examples of using the ScreamFree approach. The stories in the book explain the concept very well and having more would enhance the book's usefulness.

When I told my oldest about the book, she said parents who yell are teaching their kids to yell when they become adults. Deep and accurate insight, as we've seen many children grow up to pick up their parents' bad habits. Overwhelmed parents can begin with one step by picking one situation that pushes their buttons and applying the ScreamFree approach until they get the hang of it. Runkel doesn't pressure the reader and the concepts are doable.

5.0 out of 5 stars the BEST book about parenting I have ever read!!!, February 21, 2007
I wish this book was out five years ago when my daughter was born. This book has been such a Godsend to me - a real eye opener. Of the hundreds of books I have read on parenting - this is the only one that actually deals with being a parent and not about molding/training your child. I also bought his class on cd and it has changed the relationship I have with my children. I can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't you want to be the best parent you can be?, February 25, 2006
Hal Runkel is not only an author of "ScreamFree Parenting", but an angel sent from Heaven or a magician, whichever your personal stance lends itself to. It is an absolute must read and reread and reread again for every parent. If you could read only one parenting book, I would say this one is it without a doubt. In today's modern, hectic societies, we all need a "calm before the storm." The uninevitable storms are bound to come along once in a while. Hal provides parents with the survival tools to weather the issues of raising our children when the pressure builds. Calmness translates into being the best that you can be. When we can think, problem solve, and react with a calm, cool mindset, positive outcomes occur. Calmness perpetuates calmness, just as conflict perpetuates conflict. It is a book that stays by my bed so that I have it at my fingertips when I get a few extra moments. It is a resource that I will continue to reread throughout the years ahead of raising our children. I feel that I am in debt to Hal for his miraculous vision. I intend to continue the legacy and pass the book to my children one day as they venture into parenthood, and they too will be eternally grateful to Hal and his team. The cycle will continue from generation to generation, what a great concept. He certainly has gone above and beyond doing what he was called to do on this earth. Hal is the coolest for keeping us cool and thus allowing for our children to be the best they can be. If the principles were carried through to all human relationships, what a wonderful world it could be...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Advice for Those Who Want to Raise Responsible Children, March 6, 2006
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
When our youngest child went off to college, the school's president told us that many parents cannot let go. They call before, during and after every class. They help out with homework over the Internet. They want to hear about every stumble and bruise. The parents act like they are students in terms of how often they contact advisors and administrators on their children's behalf.

You can imagine what these kids are going to be like when their parents are ill or die. They'll feel like the world has ended. Is that any way to be a parent? I don't think so.

I like having children who become responsible, effective adults. I have four of them, and I'm happy with how it all turned out.

At the opposite end, you see parents going nuts because their two-year-old drops a spoon on the floor in a restaurant . . . again . . . and again . . . and again. We've all been there. We've all wanted to go nuts. But it's not good for anyone if you do.

ScreamFree Parenting gives you solid, realistic advice for how to handle those years from 2-18 so that your children end up the way you would like them to be . . . as themselves in a responsible life. . . and not as robots ordered around by you.

Hal Runkel does a good job of explaining how setting limits, letting children make mistakes and learn, and being calm make for a wonderful difference. I was reminded of the importance of calm last week when our local high school put on a one act play written by the students that described a 9 year-old girl being driven crazy by her parents' fights. Calm is good for children. They will eventually learn calmness from you . . . if you are a good role model.

So start to help your kids . . . by working on you!

I wish I had read this book when I was a new father. It would have saved lots of anxiety for everyone.

Nice going, Mr. Runkel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Title for a Great Book, April 5, 2005
Hal E. Runkel's ScreamFree Parenting is a great book. If, like me, you share a certain aversion to self-help books then this book will pleasantly surprise you with its good sense and clear non-jargoned prose. And if, like me, you are somewhat cynical about your ability to change long established patterns of behaviour, Hal has the unnerving ability to surprise you into believing that you can.

The author's understanding of the real ways human beings interact in families is revealed both in his persuasive arguments and in the excellent anecdotes that pepper the book. The book is about parenting, but Hal has much more to say about human relationships in general. He even has some fascinating comments on the modern disease of obesity in Western society.

Hal basically asks the reader to "grow up." But he does this so persuasively, and with such good humour, that this reader actually wanted to grow up, and more importantly, thinks that this may be a possibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very different approach to parenting., February 6, 2005
The ScreamFree Parenting Program offers a very unique approach to parenting, unlike most books out there. Instead of putting the focus on the CHILD and teaching you how to employ some sort of technique or manipulation to get your kids to behave, the ScreamFree Parenting Program focuses on us as parents, giving us the tools we need to be the best parents possible. After all, what you want is for your kids to have the ability to make the right choices and decisions even when we're not around. This program creates an environment in your home which will encourage kids to be "self directed" and to own the consequences of their actions. This is what they need to be successful in the world. ScreamFree Parenting teaches parents how to instill these skills in their children at a very early age.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, November 17, 2008
This review is from: Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool (Paperback)

1. Work on keeping yourself calm in the face of children melting down.
2. Give them latitude to be themselves, learn privacy, and make better choices (read very much like free-spirit parenting of the 60's, including suggestions that you allow your teenage daughter to have boys in her room with the door closed, because you trust her and respect her privacy -- yeah, right).
3. Force children to suffer consequences for their decisions, even if it's difficult for you, as the parent, to follow through with those consequences.

I can't say I would recommend this to anyone -- even getting a library copy would be a stretch, as there are much better parenting books available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better suited for parenting teenagers? Not young kids., September 14, 2010
If you have young children, don't bother with this book. Like others have said the whole book can be summed up in the title...don't scream. Translated: keep your cool, your kids don't have a remote control to your emotions and by staying calm you show that you're in charge. I found Hal Runkel's style meandering, pointless, stretching to find many ways to say the same thing. He gives extreme examples (the power of language...yes kids repeat things, but sometimes I LOVE hearing my messages repeated that I was thinking weren't getting through...but the stupid example about the girl who told the wheelchair-bound person that he didn't eat his vegetables? Maybe there was another teachable moment there.) He lacks actionable advice, i.e., tell me how to keep my cool...maybe deep breaths, counting? (To name a couple of ho-hum things I can think of).

I suppose he believes that calming your anxiety about their choices is one way to keep "screamfree." Give your child space... "calm your anxiety about their messy room...whenever you feel anxious about their mess, go clean your own room." Perhaps he thinks that I should let my far-sighted daughter suffer the consequence of not being able to find her eyeglasses anywhere, or not remembering where she left them. Now, I didn't scream or shout over that incident, but it's still a little ludicrous that he suggest that at a young age (6), I'm leaving her to her own devices.

There's something....missing. Runkel doesn't address differences in personality or ages. I certainly think not all parenting is cookie-cutter and that it changes as years progress and as situations and inputs change. And while I think the message is fine: don't scream, there's a lot more to consider when you're parenting. Give them space is fine I suppose, but only after you've laid all the groundwork and you can reasonably feel that they have the tools to make their own decision, only THEN you can say "I'm here if you need my help" (as he suggests as part of being "screamfree") and only THEN let go of some anxiety because you know you did your job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scream Free Parenting, January 31, 2006
Fabulous book. I am going to a seminar to hear the author speak. I am almost finished with the book and it has helped a lot. I am a teacher and it is great for my classroom as well! Definitely a must read for parents - the sooner the better. They have a great website as well.

$13.99 $9.71