on April 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
I replaced a cracked screen and damaged digitizer. I had read a few comments (not necessarily for this product) that complained about opening a damaged product, but being unable to prove it was damaged in transit, they were out the money. This was not the case for me, but to be safe I had my husband video me opening and examining the package just in case.
The product itself worked wonderfully. Once installed everything worked great. 5 stars for product.
2 stars for instruction on installing. I knew from the description that it would not come with instructions, and I was confident I could figure it out using resources online. I used the video suggested by the seller, and it is lacking, to say the least. Here are my suggestions:
It takes several minutes to heat the adhesive enough to remove it quickly using a hairdryer. Do not expect to go around the edges a dozen times and be able to unstick it. Take your time.
Use white cups or white plates or white SOMETHING for the screws. There are a bunch of them, and there are several different sizes. And did I mention they are TINY. Smaller than a pin head, I swear. Count them on the way out, put them somewhere in order of how they came out, so you know exactly where they go when you put them back in.
Watch the video a few times so you know what order to put it all back together. Taking it apart is easy. Getting it in the right order when you put it back together requires more thought. Not difficult, but I put the LCD screen back down a couple times before I remembered there are two metal plates I had to screw back in before the LCD.
Test everything before you put the adhesive back together. Tap all the corners, try out the keyboard, make sure the home screen works. Double check that it will lay flat. When I removed the old screen, the old adhesive warped a bit from the tools and I had to remove some of it so the new screen and adhesive could lay flat.
The adhesive on the new screen has a film on it that will need to be removed. It is tricky to get a corner off. Make sure you get ALL the adhesive films off!! Some are tiny!
on January 20, 2014
Verified Purchase
The adhesive doesn't come separately, it's already attached to the screen under some plastic protector thingies. Peel & Stick.

All of the parts in the description are included and the shipping was really quick.

EDIT: Installed this months ago. Working like a champ. 14yo daughter thinks I'm the greatest Dad in the world. I am.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 27, 2014
Verified Purchase
The product was excellent and as advertised. I spent quite a bit of time online reading horror stories from almost every seller of these screens arriving cracked, or not working properly, or needing soldering. This screen was the real deal, home button and IC chip attached, screen protectors on both sides, adhesive already on the part with protective film that only needed to be peeled off before reassembly.

The Part, tools and service were absolutely five star - the only reason I took one star off is because of the lacking 'how to' instructions. I realise this is not something many - including Apple - consider a 'user serviceable' part, but if you are going to put a link to a video with your product that says "here's how to do it", then make it correct and complete.

Bottom line - I followed the instructions on the video, and all seemed great, but when I was done, the screen was unresponsive and acted crazy, moving around by itself. After spending some time online researching, I discovered that some exposed metal contacts on the bottom of the digitizer were the culprit, making contact with the body of the mini. I pirated some of the tape off of the old digitizer, and used some electrical tape of my own, and it now works perfectly. This seems to be an extrememly common issue from what I read, so I was a bit disappointed and frustrated that it was not addressed on the 'how to' vid or instructions.

As for the difficulty, while not a professional, I consider myself a fairly tech savy all around repair dad kind of guy. Due to the above mentioned factors, the job took me about 3 hours and I had to dis and re-assemble the device approximately 7 times as I tried to figure out what the hell was wrong. If I had had the info on the taping of the contacts, it wouldve taken me just over an hour from start to finish, and that includes a LOT of cleanup of broken glass shards, because my orig digitizer was completely and totally shattered like nobodys business, so removing it was a bit brutal.

My biggest words of advice to anyone attempting this -

1.) make sure you have the proper tools. This is not a 'grab a screwdriver and use your fingernails' kind of deal. Although I had them - this one came WITH the tools as advertised - very helpful, and while the suction cups were worthless at removing my old screen because it was completely shattered, they were of some help removing the new glass when I need to disassemble it over and over. Point of note - the best tool I used here for this was a larger suction cup mount from a GPS window mount I took out of my car for the job. Worked VERY well.

2.) Do NOT heat up the adhesive to really activate it with your heatgun/blow dryer (I used the latter) until you have completely verified that the screen is working to avoid drama if you need to pull it back apart for further taping or tweeking.

I the end, it was definetly worth it. Repair cost of $20-$30 vs new ipad or paying the local shop $150. Hope this helps someone out there - good luck.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2014
Verified Purchase
I love this screen, and the very cool supply of tools that come with it! Everything you need except the heat gun! Word of advice though... prior to using the SlyPro tool (the long black pry tool), I would suggest wrapping the middle handle part in a few layers of black electrical tap! You WILL NEED THE CUSHIONING! It is a very sharp tool lol. I have my own set of precision tools for phone repairs, but I really liked the tools included in this set!

On another side note:
VERY IMPORTANT - disconnect the battery prior to disconnecting the LCDD and Digitizer. Otherwise, you run a very liekly risk of blowing the fuse on the motherboard!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
Everything I needed to replace my screen was there! A little advice for future screen fixers is to make sure you straighten out any dents on the corners if you have any. I had a dent which caused the screen to not sit right and by pressing the corner of the screen to make it fit, it caused the screen to crack again. I had to reorder another screen which was not costly considering I have all the tools already. But the screen did crack very easily. Other than that, a great tool set!
on September 5, 2013
Verified Purchase
The description and picture indicate "Includes tool Kit and Adhesive".
This was not the case for me. The Digitizer did arrive in a timely manner and was as pictured with IC Chip & Home Button.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
My daughter dropped her iPad mini and broke the screen. It still worked fine, but was cracked. I ordered this replacement and according to the directions, went here to get instructions on how to install it: http://how2fixvideo.com/apple. That video was worthless and left out many important details and the digitizer screen I received looked different than the screen in the video. I got the screen replaced, got the display re-installed, then according to the directions, tested prior to removing the adhesives and screen protectors. Well, the screen seemed to work fine, I could swipe, type, navigate around, etc, so I then removed all the adhesive protectors and screen protectors and mounted the screen. Like I said, the video showed a different part than I received, and ribbon cable seems too long on the part I have, so when it is folded over under the screen, it keeps popping up the adhesive where the ribbon cable is bent over under the screen. I cleaned the iPad very well with Goof Off to remove any old adhesive, and the iPad was very clean. Then, there was NO mention in the video about moving the magnets from the old screen to the new one. I found this by watching other videos on how to replace the screen. Once I finally got it in place and stuck down, I powered up the device, and the screen was glitching like crazy. The digitizer didn't work, or would work intermittently. Of course the product isn't returnable once you it fully installed, so I'm out $35, and still don't have a functional device. The screen is very flimsy too. I tried to remove it to check the ribbon connector, and it split into 4 pieces with almost no pressure applied. It is a very low quality part.
on October 3, 2014
The screen seems fairly weak and low quality however I did manage to get it installed. The tools that arrived were ok quality, but the large blue tool had been melted at one of the edges and was entirely useless due to the defect. We had a shattered digitizer I taped up and the suction cups were useless for pulling up on the screen. Even if the screen was in tact the suction cups don't seem like they could manage to hold on to anything. The only actual useful tools were the "SlyPry" and the screwdriver.

After removing the old digitizer and hooking up the new one, upon the first inspection everything seemed to work ok so I removed the adhesive protection and pressed the digitizer in. As soon as I powered it up I started getting "phantom touches" making the iPad basically unusable. After researching online I discovered some sellers/manufacturers don't put a guard on the digitizer to prevent it from contacting the frame, this is one of those sellers. I removed the digitizer added a barrier at the bottom of the digitizer and placed it back in resolving the issue of "phantom touches". In that fix however at some point the digitizer got a hairline crack about a third of the way down on the right hand side so the top two icons on the right side are now inaccessible.

I'm aware of the no returns once the adhesive has been applied so I didn't bother trying to contact the seller, but between the useless tools and flimsy product I wish I had spent a little extra and purchased something with a better rating and potentially better quality.
on July 29, 2014
Verified Purchase
Adhesive not strong enough! Installed it and after a few hours the screen fell off and shattered!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2014
Verified Purchase
The only reason I took off a star was because it arrived 2 days later than the Eta but the seller was in communications with me the entire time. Otherwise, the product is great. Easy to install watching Youtube and works perfectly. Tools were all good and the part comes with the adhesive already attached to the back of the screen just remove the plastic over each strip. Took me about 40 minutes and I have never done it before.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations