5.0 out of 5 stars Sir Richard's Wonderful Philosophy
Published on January 2, 2007 by Steven K. Gold

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, read "Losing My Virginity" instead.
Published on December 25, 2006 by Benny Blanco

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, read "Losing My Virginity" instead., December 25, 2006
This review is from: Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life (Quick Reads) (Paperback)
I started with Branson's first book, "Losing My Virginity", and was absolutely hooked. That book is compelling, insightful, exciting, inspirational, and well-written. "Screw it, Let's Do It" on the other hand, is none of those things, and feels like a cheap re-hashing of "Losing My Virginity", but without any of the real substance. The writing is poor (leading me to wonder if Branson had a lot of help in writing "Losing My Virginity") and he rushes through anecdotes that he explains in detail in "Losing My Virginity". The whole book feels very cursory and surface-deep, and doesn't do justice to Branson's incredible persona. Don't waste your time, get "Losing My Virginity" instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sir Richard's Wonderful Philosophy, January 2, 2007
Richard Branson made his fortune because he's a shrewd business person, and also because he's been lucky at times. He's successful, however, because of his personality and attitude -- his personal philosophy -- and that's what this book is about. There is nothing earth shattering in his philosophy, except perhaps that it takes an extraordinary person to truly live up to it.

I don't think that Branson was looking to make money on the book, but rather to share some ideas that, for good reason, he truly believes in. He's not one to overcomplicate things, and in this case shorter is better. He keeps it simple because to him it is simple. As other reviewers have noted, it's a small book and it can be read in one sitting. It seems like it was dictated and indeed could benefit from some editing, but perhaps that's what makes the book real and is part of its charm. If you're looking for more then buy his book "Losing My Virginity" which contains some details about his various ventures. Otherwise, Screw It, it's a good read so just buy the book.

Steven K. Gold
Author, Entrepreneur's Notebook: Practical Advice for Starting a New Business Venture

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book, July 11, 2006
Definitely one of the more useful motivational books I've read. Sir Richard talks about having fun, being bold, challenging yourself, standing on your own feet, valuing the family and doing good.

Without being preachy, Sir Richard pulls out stories from his life to illustrate some of his beliefs, principles and practices. Not having read his other books, I'm quite astounded by some of his life experiences, especially his harrowing escapes from a faulty flying machine and his role in Iraq where he helped secure the release of British hostages.

Short, sweet and simple, it's an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL !, April 22, 2008
I have read hundreds of business biographies, how-to-do and business books. This is one of the best and I recommend it, because it inspired me like no other business book. The most interesting suggestions are:
- Have fun, work hard and money will come.
- When it's not fun, move on.
- Be bold, aim high.
- Try new things, always try.
- Challenge yourself.
- Money is for making things happen.
- Always think what you can do to help.
My preferite is:"Live life to the full". I recommend this book to every busines student, worker and manager, to reconnect their humanity with their business role.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous! But you should buy and read his others, March 30, 2008
I read the author's "Losing My Virginity" in 2005, rated it a five star with the title "Entertaining, fun, motivatonal, inspiring, simply irresistable!" In fact, I described it as the best biography in my Listmania List. Though I did know this one is just a short update to that, I couldnt help but read it, and still found it very fascinating. Upon writing this review, I just found that there is an 256 page Expanded Edition which is double the size of this. I strongly recommend any potential reader to buy either "Losing My Virginity" or the "Expanded Edition" (which explains the four star here). You will thank me for that.

p.s. Below please find some of my favorite passages for your reference.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with that first step. If you look ahead to th end, and all the weary miles between, with all the dangers you might face, you might never take that first step. And whatever it is you want to achieve in life, if you dont make the effort, you wont reach your goal. So take that first step. There will be many challenges. You might get knocked back - but in the end, you will make it. Good luck!

As soon as something stops being fun, I think it's time to move on. Life is too short to be unhappy. Waking up stressed and miserable is not a good way to live. pg 22

If you do still have to work for a boss at a job you dont like, as almost everyone does at some point, dont moan about it. Have a positive outlook on life and just get on with it. Work hard and earn your pay. Enjoy the people you come into contact with through your job. And if you are still unhappy, make it instead your goal to divide your private life from your work life. Have fun in your own time, you will feel happier and you'll enjoy your life and your job more. pg 26

I take risks, but they are calculated risks. I weigh up the odds in everything I do. pg 28

I believe in myself (and God, for Narci). I believe in the hands that work, in the brains that think, and in the hearts that love. pg 57

What's money for, anyway? It's to make things happen. pg 75

Japanese businessmen taught me how important it was to always keep eyes and ears open and to be polite. They say that you never know who might hear or see you. People talk. Gossip has a habit of getting back to those you gossip about. pg 81

Respect is about how to treat everyone, not just those you want to impress. pg 83

Bill Gates said his staff could spend two hours gazing into space as long as their minds were working. pg 92

5.0 out of 5 stars Branson condensed!, November 2, 2006
Amazon Customer (Lago Vista, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Screw It, Let's Do It is a great, quick read.

I bought this book at my departing airport on a recent trip abroad, and it was a great read on the plane.

The chapters are all fairly short and Branson moves through his life from early childhood to business mogul at a rapid pace. He does a good job illustrating his business lessons through his own experiences.

His lessons are fairly simple: know what you want, work hard at it, don't give up until you get it... all stuff that we claim to already know, but so seldom apply to our own lives.

The most important point that I took from the book is the notion that his success is available to anybody who is willing to put in the same amount of work as he clearly did.

After this book I was hooked on Branson and needed to know more. So I bought his earlier book Losing My Virginity, which is a far more detailed story of his life.

This man is just amazing! I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars screw it lets do it, November 9, 2006
This is a great book explaining all the high points of Richard Bransons Life. If you're planning on getting a biography of Richard Branson I would recommend reading that first. I read this book before I read "Losing My Virginity" and it really dulled the suspense. It was like a movie preview that showed too much of the movie, leaving no room for anything unexpected. After reading a detailed biography of Richard Branson you can better understand his mentality and point of view as explained in this book. Overall this book is amazing and very inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book on Ideas and Taking Risks!, November 16, 2007
This book is a great, easy to read, follow up to Richard Branson's previous book on his life. This book is short, but full of great stories that will motivate you to come up with creative ideas and take risks in both business and life. Richard Branson never lets anything stop him. In fact, it seems that when the odds are against him or someone says "it won't work", he really is at his best. He proves that it can work!! This book has really motivated me. Richard Branson is a great story teller and his life story is very inspiring!! Get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book resonates with you, January 4, 2009
I have recommended this book time and time again. He's such an interesting man, through out the book I have learned not only how to just grab life by its collar but how to raise children to inspire them to succeed one day. All of us wonder "how was he raised to achieve what he has achieve" in this and his other books he tells you exactly what it takes to be a go getter....you will reach for this book time and time again

Marzena Kmiecik
Creative Director / Owner of Pixelfanatix.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Life's learnings from a great entrepreneur, July 28, 2007
For people strapped for time, the book is 106 pages and a quick read with all the teaching's from a great entrepreneur. There are 9 chapters and each chapter can be read in short chunks of time. In each chapter, Mr. Branson takes a theme like "Live the Moment", "Challenge Yourself" etc. and provides concrete real life examples of what they mean to him and the importance.

The synopsis of his book can be captured in the epilogue on page 103:

Make a difference
Stand on your feet
Be Loyal
Live life to the full.

I would encourage that you read the book once and capture what is important to you.

Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life (Quick Reads)
Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life (Quick Reads) by Richard Branson (Paperback - May 16, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01