5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
I vaguely recall having watched Sea Hunt as a very small boy. My main recollection of that experience is the show's haunting theme music, which evoked both adventure and danger.

For the next fifty years, I never saw another episode and completely forgot about the show.

About three years ago I started watching Sea Hunt on This TV and quickly got...
Published 21 months ago by Flynt

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but obviously low-budget show
I remember enjoying Sea Hunt as a child. However, I realized by noting the dates the series was produced that the viewings I remember were after it had completed its run and was in syndication. I remember watching it in the afternoons during summer school vacations.

Ivan Tors, just like Irwin Allen(Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) was fond of using stock...
Published 17 months ago by Occasional Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)

About three years ago I started watching Sea Hunt on This TV and quickly got hooked on it. Since it was on at about 5 a.m. I recorded it for later viewing. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to archive those recordings until after the broadcasts stopped (6-2013 update: they have since started up again). I tried watching the first season episodes on Hulu but I didn't enjoy that experience.

Imagine how thrilled I was when I discovered that Amazon was selling studio-authorized Sea Hunt DVD's! I purchased all four seasons immediately.

I have held off writing a review until after viewing all 39 episodes of Season One.

Packaging: There are two DVD cases inside the box, labeled Volume 1 and Volume 2. Volume 1 contains three DVD's, and Volume 2 contains two. The DVD's are labeled Disc 1 through 5. Disc 1 contains seven episodes, the other four contain eight each, for a total of 39 episodes.

Video quality: I am using a Magnavox ZV427MG9 DVD Recorder and VCR connected via component video (Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr) to a Vizio E320VP LCD HDTV (32", 16:9 AR, 720P/1080i, 1366 x 768 resolution). Using component video produces a partial-screen, undistorted image. If I use the HDMI ports the picture is full-screen but is stretched horizontally, and no amount of fiddling with the aspect ratio setting on either the player or the TV will correct it. Perhaps this is normal for a DVD transfer of an old TV show when viewed on an HDTV. The back of the box says "4X3 1.33 full frame."

The video quality is outstanding. The picture is sharp. Very sharp. Almost high-definition sharp. You can count every hair on Lloyd Bridges' head, and see every scratch and ding on his air tanks. There is a beautiful range of tones from black to white. The sunlit outdoor scenes, both above and below water, seem to glow. I often find myself pausing the playback to admire the beauty of the picture. Another TV show from that same period--Perry Mason (or at least the butchered syndicated version being broadcast by ME TV)--looks like a murky, muddy mess in comparison. I used to wish that Sea Hunt was in color, but now I'm not so sure color would be an improvement. (To get an idea of what a color version of Sea Hunt would look like, watch Flipper, currently being shown on Antenna TV.) The people who watched Sea Hunt when it was originally broadcast had no idea what they were missing.

I compared the picture quality of these DVD's to the Sea Hunt recordings I had made from This TV broadcasts. Surprisingly, there wasn't much of a difference. The DVD's were a little sharper, but that's it.

Sound quality: Typical late-1950's mono, low-fidelity TV sound. There's not much that TGG could do here, given the limitations of the source material.

My Disc 4 contained the same error that other reviewers have mentioned, namely that episode 3, which should be "The Hero," is instead a repeat of episode 1, "Pressure Suit." I emailed Michelle Weiman at TGG (michelle@thegargroup.com) and she said they will send me a corrected Disc 4 at the address I provided.

It's a shame there are no interviews of Beau or Jeff Bridges, or stunt divers Zale Parry and Courtney Brown.

As for the show itself, the plots are simple, the characters few, the action almost non-stop. It's an entertaining--and unique--show, with scuba diving, underwater knife fights (cut his air hose, Mike!), boats, airplanes, helicopters, the occasional fake submarine, and attractive women (for example, the stunningly beautiful Jan Harrison) rocking swimsuits and wetsuits. Has any other TV show ever shown a pistol being fired underwater?

Lloyd Bridges carries the show. Mid-forties, six feet tall, lean but muscular, with a full, thick head of hair and rugged features, Bridges was perfect for the role of Mike Nelson and he attacks it with gusto.

If you're a Sea Hunt fan, this is a must-have. As Mike Nelson would say, "If you like Sea Hunt, then why don't you get these DVD's, huh?"

3-11-13 update: I received the replacement Disc 4 today, two weeks after I contacted TGG. It was shipped on March 6 via UPS Ground. It looks identical to the original defective Disc 4. Episode 3 has been corrected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality season sets, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
I had written a frustrated review when the SEA HUNT seasons were delayed. But, now that they are here, wow! Really lovely transfers. Pay no attention to the "one disc" notice, there are five in each set. It is certainly well worth the money. I just that hope they expand their line and give us more classic television.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good old time entertainment, October 30, 2012
baker (Six miles from Disneyland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
This show was popular when it aired, and I can see why. It is really great that they released this so it is available at last. The set comes in a box with two dvd cases. In one the dvds are stacked on a single spindle, and the other separate holders. The picture quality and sound are fine. A nice thing about this show is a lot of episodes, with about 40 per season. I say about, because one episode was missing, and the one with Larry Hagman at that. They fixed it though, and replaced the disc. All seasons available, and affordable, is another plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars SEA HUNT SEASON 1 DISC 4, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
Apparently there was an issue with DISC 4 of the SEA HUNT SEASON 1 in which there was a duplicate episode, however, TGG Direct has responded very well to this issue and will send a replacement disc. The reply we received from: michelle@thegarrgroup.com is as follows:

"Thank you for your email. TGG Direct is aware of the duplicated episodes on Disc 4 of the SEA HUNT COMPLETE SEASON 1 package and are currently in the process of resolving this issue. A replacement disc will be sent to you at the address you provided below.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,
Michelle Weiman"

So, I'm OK with errors so long as the company is willing to correct the issue. This is a great series and the quality is FABULOUS!!!!!!!! THANK YOU TGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer nostalgia, June 20, 2013
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
This is what it is all about, it is great that so much of the early 50`s/60`s TV is now available. Quality of the print is mint in lovely black and white. Us of a certain age love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sea Hunt Released At Last, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
I must say that I was hesitant to purchase the four seasons of this series, given the modest price. Imagine my surprise when I found that the quality of the prints were excellent. They were far better than other tv collections I have purchased at higher prices. I look forward to purchasing additional tv series sets from this company if they are of similar quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product and great nostalgia, June 21, 2013
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
"Sea Hunt" was an iconic show from the early days of TV. While most viewers today are used to SCUBA diving, helicopters, cool boats, and tense rescues, TV and movie plots hadn't been so overloaded with those elements at the time. In "Sea Hunt" these adventure elements were mostly new and unusual elements in the show, and I certainly can't remember much in the way of TV before "Sea Hunt", or even in films, that featured SCUBA diving.

Of course, "Sea Hunt" came from a simpler time, and the episodes are 30 minutes in length. That means that the writers had to keep the plots basic and on target, without a lot of room for subtlety. In most of the shows that involve any mystery, you'll most often see the solution coming right away. So in these "Sea Hunt" episodes, you'll find some plots that are simplistic, but there are also some that are as rich as anything you'll find in today's shows.

The science of diving as presented in Sea Hunt informed its viewers pretty well about the dangers and details of SCUBA diving, but it did twist some things for dramatic effect at times. Still, shows like Sea Hunt and the Jacques Cousteau documentaries gave me (and a host of others) a life long interest in the sea.

This was Lloyd Bridges' signature show. No matter what else he did, he was always remembered as Mike Nelson in Sea Hunt, similar to the way Tom Selleck will always be identified with Magnum PI. And he was believable and solid in the role, his dialogue and voice-overs always sounding calm, authoritative, and sensible.

This DVD presentation is more than acceptable. It does show some grain and minor film damage on our widescreen set, but overall I feel safe in saying that it looks better than it did on TVs of its era. On all of these older shows, make sure you set the TV to display them in 4:3 ratio. They'll look much more crisp that way, and won't look stretched.

Whether you're a mature viewer like me who was a fan of the series as a younger adult or kid, or a younger viewer with an interest in these classics of early TV, I can heartily recommend this product both in content and quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars SEA HUNT is a WINNER! A MUST HAVE DVD COLLECTION!, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
Hi: I ABsolutely Recommend this TV Series DVD Collection, This First Season DVD Set is FAB, High Quality, Detailed, Clear .. A MUST HAVE ... Gotta Buy them All! The Stories Hold up & of course Lloyd Bridges is Great! This TV Series is as good as the day it first aired back in the 1950's.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last Sea Hunt,the way it was meant to be seen!, June 4, 2013
Robert Badgley (St Thomas,Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
Sea Hunt the television series,originally ran for four seasons starting in 1958.Detailed minded folks will notice that two of the eps on the first disc are pilots;one dated for 1956 and the other for 1957,contrary to the popular notion there was only one.ZIV obviously had shopped this series around and got no takers for a couple of years,so decided to do it itself in the syndication market and it succeeded beyond anyone's expectations.I remember the series being cancelled,and couldn't figure out how such a show that was so popular could be dropped.It was only in later years when I found out it was the dwindling syndication market that was the culprit,as the three big networks really started to dominate the airwaves and minimize the syndicated market.
If you haven`t seen this show,it is remarkable it got traction at all.Consider the problems associated with photographing actors underwater,or their stunt doubles.Not only getting a camera down there,but finding the right clear conditions,the weather to worry about,a believable script week after week,trying to act in a believable manner(exaggerated but believable gestures)while so buoyant( no easy task)and one cannot just yell `cut,it`s a rap`,can they? Then there was their lead actor,who would have to have at least some working knowledge of scuba equipment and diving in order for the audience to truly ``buy it``.Somehow Ivan Tors and his production company managed to over come all these obstacles and more.
Lloyd Bridges had a prolific career in films from the mid 30s onwards as a supporting player and even though he had been blacklisted in the early 50s by the McCarthy crowd,it didn`t last long.He was trained in diving by Zale Parry and Courtney Brown in /56 after being awarded the lead in the show.Brown would become his stunt double,but by series end Bridges was doing a majority of his own work underwater.Bridges was very fit and he,importantly,looked and acted like a pro around the water.He handled his equipment like he had been at it for years.One can truly say no one,or show,was a better spokesman for the sport of skin diving,before or since,than Lloyd Bridges and Sea Hunt.Bridges` affable personality really sold this show,like no other.His glances into the camera made you feel he was talking just to you,and you alone.
Every ep started out with the credits and Lloyd suiting up,then there was about a minute prologue to set the tone of things to come.Then came two acts of melodrama,and finally the end where Lloyd would talk directly into the camera and say to us to join him next week for another``exciting adventure`` of Sea Hunt,or other similar phrase.One line was especially poignant and always added to the authenticity of the show.He would say that scuba diving was great for young and old ``but it can be dangerous,so know your sport well and don`t take any chances``.Safety was a recurring theme in all the eps of Sea Hunt.Bridges`character was an ex Navy frogman and his expertise was widely known and respected.In the show he would always caution other characters about safety,and he himself would rarely if ever take a chance.Have I mentioned the music? From the opening to closing credits,and every minute in between,the show was filled with the most compelling music.All intended to enhance the various moods presented in the dramas and,as a result,our own viewing experience and reactions.
Besides Mr.Bridges,I have seen a young Larry Hagman,Leonard Nimoy and a VERY young Jeff Bridges in these shows,so far.As you watch,many of the same cast keep reappearing as different characters throughout.The shows are filled with vets of the screen and other supporting actors from TV of the 50s and 60s.Many shots were used repeatedly and one shot I recall in particular didn't match.It was an ep about a killer whale.They used stock footage showing it on the water from a distance,but for close ups they first used a shark,then a pilot whale.Hey,this was just the first season and they didn`t have endless pockets of money to use;they had to be thrifty.
Now to the DVDs themselves.The DVD cases(there are two,volumes one and two),are housed in what I can only describe as a solid topped cardboard box.You lift the lid to get access to the cases,like you would lift the lid to a box of chocolates.I have never seen DVDs housed this way.The first DVD keepcase has three DVDs pancaked one on top of the other.This was a concern to me and I have since put two in one double holding snapcase as a precautionary measure..But I must say none of the discs exhibited any scuffs or scratches.The second volume has two discs,one in a plastic movable holder and one in a solid holder built into the case.The picture? Well,I must say this is a revelation.In case you didn`t know,MGM are the folks that have held Sea Hunt in their archives all these years.The prints they have supplied to TGG are absolutely tremendous.They are clear and crisp,generally,and many look liked they were filmed yesterday.My grainy B&W set in /58 never gave this good a picture!
In conclusion,if you`re a Sea Hunt fan THIS is the set to own.Accept no imitations. A wildly popular TV show in its day,LLoyd Bridges/Sea Hunt is finally back after a long absence and in better shape than ever.Kudos to TGG for bringing it home for us,in their original form.4 1/2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underwater Adventure, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Sea Hunt Complete Season One (DVD)
I always liked this series as a kid, if for no other reason than it has been reran since time began and was so different. I always loved the music in it, and I recall when I was going to school so many times in much younger days, seeing the closing credits as I was going off to school. You just wanted to hop onboard with Mike and leave the school scene. Such a marvelous closing to the show, a boat going off into the sunset.

That was primarily where my affections rated with the show, but something came over me. It's called dvd. It's still in reruns over here as I speak, but then I recalled how modern tv cuts into playing time, so I couldn't resist for the cheap price, plus it sounded like everybody thought the picture was real good.

You know one thing that's so good about these old shows, if you're fortunate as I am and hadn't seen them much in the past 20 plus years, you forget all the plots and it's like new tv all over again, and so much better than the new stuff for the most part!

Having said all of that, what really got me about this show having watched season one over again on this dvd set, is that this show had a lot better plots than I remembered. I may like this show twice as much as I did as a kid, and part of that is because I can concentrate on it without commercial interruption. It also helped that a lot of my viewing was in some fairly dimly lit situations, so even the room didn't distract me. Here I am in my fifties, and this show had me on the edge of my seat at times, even though I knew Mike would pull through since there were 3 more seasons.

Well I backed up what I have written here and went ahead and ordered the next three seasons. And to think you're getting so many episodes per year too. It's really hard to beat the price and you get so much for it. It's also nice to get into this series with a completely different viewpoint than as a child. Oh, BTW, Mike Nelson is a big time safety freak, so when he gets smart with somebody I like to guess whether he will get a fat lip for it. Just too much fun!

Sea Hunt Complete Season One
Sea Hunt Complete Season One by Sea Hunt (DVD - 2013)
$24.98 $10.93