1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on the story; incomplete, March 30, 2012
This review is from: Sea Wolf (TV Mini-series 2009) - (Lobo do Mar) [Import] (DVD)
I didn't expect that a movie version could possibly do justice to what is essentially a philosophical/allegorical story. But as I loved this book after recently reading it (finally, at the age of 33) I really wanted to see how the characters and story would be portrayed. Certainly, much of the real philosophical bent to the story is absent here; it simply doesn't translate to the screen. But for someone who enjoyed the book and liked the characters, it will please, I think. I enjoyed Sebastian Koch's portrayal of Wolf Larson especially. He was perfect, all the way down to his Norwegian accent and the wolfish leer in his eyes. In the interests of time, the debates between Van Wyden and Larson that are so key to the narrative of the book are mostly missing, and Van Wyden gives in and comes around much too quickly. But again, I didn't expect it would be tackled extensively. Neve Campbell is beautiful as Maude (does she ever age?!) and the supporting cast are all convincing. The odd addition of the subplot involving Larson's brother, "Death", is strange at first, though it makes some sense.

Sea Wolf (TV Mini-series 2009) - (Lobo do Mar) [Import]