Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

on November 6, 2012
The cord barely stays in the device. This makes it so I can't watch movies or shows from it because even the slightest movement will offset the cord's positioning and unplug the hard drive. Seagate makes some models with big fat USB cords (called Go Flex or something, I think), buy one of those. This is seriously so disappointing. What a waste of $100
on February 15, 2013
BUYER BEWARE!!!!! You get what you pay for.

I bought this drive because it was $100. It was a huge mistake. After using it for 2 months it died. I took it back to computer repair facility and they said it has a mechanical failure. Called Seagate. They will replace the device for free because it is under warranty, but if I want to save files they charge an arm and a leg for the data recovery. They want $45 to diagnose the problem at which time they will provide me with a quotation. The only commitment they would make is that it would cost between $600 and $1800. I am sending it to an independent repair facility because I refuse to reward Seagate with additional revenue to remedy an issue caused by their faulty product.

This is not an isolated incident. You can see other reviews here for the same issue. You should also note that Seagate has begun to sell another more expensive external hard drive with "free data recovery". That is direct acknoweldgement of their own reliability problems.

If you most buy this, be sure to back up your files to a second external device as well. Otherwise, this little piece of garbage can end up costing you $100's of dollars.
on August 27, 2012
This little piece of metal is a life saver! A great external hard drive, and very easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone looking to back up their files, especially those who want to go back and forth between Macs and PCs.
on November 1, 2012
This portable HD worked flawlessly with my early 2011 MacBook Pro. My MBP internal HD was getting full due to my iTunes account and I needed an external drive to off load 435GB. So I purchased the Seagate drive based on reviews and my own experience with Seagate drives. I find Seagate drives to be high quality and reliable. With a 1TB drive I off loaded my iTunes to this external drive with the assistance of Apple Technical Support. Having a 2TB Time Machine and the MBP hard drive containing my iTunes, Apple Support was critical and extremely important to erase iTunes from both drives properly. I used the FireWire adaptor from my GoFlex drive, which worked perfectly, to transfer this large account. I have been using this drive dedicated to my iTunes account and has worked perfectly. I also have this drive backed up to my Time Machine. The only real concern about having my iTunes on this portable drive is losing it or stolen. You also must have this drive connected to the computer to access iTunes. I find this to be a minor issue. This is a great drive and highly recommend it.
on October 3, 2012
I have just received this awesome Backup Plus Seagate hard drive, and immediately connected it to my MacBook with Firewire800 cable.
I had to connect the AC adapter, because the Firewire 800 connection was not providing enough power for the device to power on, as I have experienced with previous external HD storage. After powering on the drive, I had to submit to a device registration, and then I partitioned with DiskUtil into 3 1Tb partitions.
I am now in my second hour of TimeMachine backing up my 150Gb data at a terrible speed. It is doing the speed that I would expect from USB 2.0. My previous Firewire800 device from LaCie could do 150Gb in under 1 hour, with no AC adapter. Hour 2, about 50% complete.
The device is heavy, and reliance on the AC adapter is not expected.
Surely, there is a better option.
Thanks for listening.Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (STCA3000101)
on December 9, 2012
I already owned a Seagate GoFlex 500GB and have been very satisfied with it. I purchased this second one at a higher storage capacity as a secondary safety net. It came bundled with software, but I didn't need any of that, as my purpose was only to save what I keep on my actual computer and other external HD. So I partitioned it and stored the 300GB worth of photos and files I wanted to secure and it worked wonderfully, as expected.

If I had to complain about anything, it would be the very short USB cable that seems to come with all Seagate HDs. I have a very "busy" desk and an iMac which houses its plugs behind its screen. It would be much more comfortable for me if the drive could extend farther away, but that's not a big enough problem to give this drive less than 5 stars.
on November 1, 2012
This drive works and looks fine to me, but its case parts are assembled weird. For example the small cover with white light is attached using glue and can be detached very easily leaving case with a hole...

But since for me the main thing is reliability - I am okay with it. The main thing is HDD which works perfect.
on August 18, 2012
Now I am aware that you pay an unnecessary premium to have it pre-formated for mac, because you can format it yourself on really any drive, but I went ahead and paid a few dollars more for this one because I thought it came with a firewire 800 cable. It didn't. I don't know why I thought it did, but I thought I saw a graphic that showed the other ones coming with a USB 3.0 cord, which wouldn't benefit me and my 2010 MBP, and the mac ones coming with a firewire 800. It's my fault I guess, but the USB 2.0 cable this one comes with is really, really quite slow. It took about 4 hours to backup 200 gigs, which I had time for, but was annoying. I then backed up another 24 gigs, which took about 25 mins. It's nice looking, and small, and I cannot believe you can get an entire TB for this cheap in a portable. If I could do it again, I would just get the regular one for a little cheaper, although it has a black label instead of a silver one which I think doesn't look as nice as the silver, but how much does that really matter. I chose seagate because I bought a 320 gb portable about 4 years ago and it's still going strong after quite a heavy amount of abuse. Really impressed, so I'm entrusting my data to them again because so far they've done right by me. Bottom line, it's cheap, massive, brand name, and it works, albeit a tad slow for my setup.
on December 30, 2012
This is the perfect storage device to back up everything that is on my computer. It's definitely worth the five stars!
on March 12, 2014
I really want to give this product more stars, because when it worked, it worked great... After about a year of use, the connection is constantly lost. I always properly eject the drive and it's always been stored safely in my bag with the cord removed and neatly wound, but regardless of my attempt at good care, it can't maintain a connection with my comp. Literally the tiniest bump or vibration on my desk causes it to pop up and say "your disk drive was not ejected correctly". If I get something downloading on it I have to leave my comp along on the desk to successfully complete the transfer.

I remember reading a bit about this when purchasing the drive and should have taken those comments more seriously... I'd look elsewhere for a good external HD.