5.0 out of 5 stars Fast expansive drive
Seagate makes the best drives, and this one served it's purpose. It holds all my data and keeps it secure. I love the S.M.A.R.T drive feature that lets you know if your drive is going to fail. A great addition to any computer.
Published 15 months ago by Amazonian

1.0 out of 5 stars Seagate has gone downhill
Published 19 months ago by M. Yoder

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast expansive drive, June 26, 2013
This review is from: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DL003 (Personal Computers)

1.0 out of 5 stars Seagate has gone downhill, February 27, 2013
M. Yoder "Brian" (Newport Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I used to only buy Seagate drives, and at the time most came with 5 year warranty, the best in the biz. But now most are 3 year warranty, and I have had multiple drives fail shortly after the 3 year mark. They will not work out any kind of replacement or discount once past the warranty, so I am essentially out $150 plus for "top of the line" drives. Based on my recent experience I am now using a competitor (Toshiba), hoping they are better. So far their drives are quieter, and performance in line with Seagate. The ONLY thing I still like about Seagate is their utilities for testing drives that have errors and have failed. But I would much rather have a drive that doesn't fail, and not need to use that software. So I guess their priorities are in the wrong place.

2.0 out of 5 stars Died just outside of warranty period, January 29, 2014
I used this in my desktop for just over 2 years before it died. Fortunately, I set up RAID1 a couple of months ago. The current warranty is 3 years but I guess it was just 2 when I bought it. It was a good drive when it worked but it should have worked for a few more years..

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost Data after 1 month of use, February 17, 2013
I purchased mine on 12/14/2011 form a large retailer to store and back up files. Once I got it installed and formatted and loaded files it worked well for a month. I travel a lot and might only use this machine a few days a month. Next time I booted up it would lock up but after several tries I could boot and run and access files. But had trouble getting to all files and did not remove them until to late and now the drives locks up the system anytime it is connected and the files are lost and can not access them. It now set in a drawer waiting until Seagate admits a problem and comes up with a repair.

Might want to use a different brand for large storage.

Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars Own 4 and they've been working great for a while now., February 5, 2013
I have 4 of these in a FreeNAS box, they have been running 24/7 for over a year with the occasional power off for maintenance when I moved. Couldn't be happier and I'm actually surprised by the amount of negative reviews. Crazy thing is I bought these locally on sale for $69 each before the flood in Thailand. Looks like prices are still not back to normal...

1.0 out of 5 stars 100% failure within 12 months, February 4, 2013
I purchased 3 of these green drives for a home NAS to use RAID 5. The first two failed within 6 months and the 3rd one went yesterday. I purchased in March 2012. Seagate charges for advanced replacement. I have NEVER had a hard drive fail before so for these all to fail within 12 months, I was very let down by the company. The only positive note is that I can say the return process was painless even though it did cost like $15 to do the replacement.

Find something of better quality like WDC or Hitachi. I cheaped out with these and in the end, it bit me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lastest 4 months, January 14, 2013
Billy Joe Sammy Jim (Columbia, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This HDD worked fine out of the box. Seagate tried to cheat me on the warranty, so please make sure you check that while you still have the box / receipt.

It worked great for about 4 months and then disappeared. Seems they have a similar firmware issue to the 7200.11 series. Seagate insists this isn't so, but data recovery firms tell me otherwise. I saved money on this drive, but it's going to cost me in the end. I'd suggest you try a manufacturer that knows how to write firmware and will correct their obvious errors.

1.0 out of 5 stars sadly, garbage. How Seagate has fallen!, January 3, 2013
My first drive was a 20 meg Seagate drive which cost more than this one. Sadly, I bought one less than six months ago, and it failed with less than 3100 hours on it (from SMART).

But what prompted me to write the review was the fact that the warranty-*REPLACEMENT* drive is also junk. The original was manufactured in China, the replacement (refurbished) in Korea. Interestingly the refurbished drive shows 0 hours in SMART, so evidently they are able to reset the counters.

So, replacement drive is failing after less than 48 hours. "The device, \Device\Harddisk2\D, has a bad block."

Caveat emptor. This was supposed to be a RAID-1 companion to a WD drive:
amazon dot com/RE4-Enterprise-Hard-Drive-WD2003FYYS/dp/B002XW44QY

I am extremely impressed w/ the WD drive. I'm currently doing a robocopy of 1.5 T of data, and the WD is significantly faster than the Seagate (plus, the WD doesn't lock up & throw a bunch of errors). chkdsk on the wd was an order of magnitude faster than the equivalent Seagate drive.

Over on newegg, I see similar complaints about Seagate's plummet, esp. wrt their "rebranding" of Samsung. If you're about to purchase a Samsung drive assuming you'll get the same quality, beware, since Seagate bought them out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even a Year and it went bad on me, October 26, 2012
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DL003.
I bought this HD Brand NEW right here from Amazon, I've rarely used it...Not even a Year yet and it went bad on me...it started to make a funny sound...I called Seagate they told me to get all my files out of this HD (good and free service) but that doesn't help, it's good for 3 years warranty, so I sent it back to Seagate...now I'm waiting to get a Refurbished one back, (not a NEW one) and they told me if this one goes bad too it's not their falt they will not replace it again...I should have bought some other brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Drives If They Work Out Of The Box, October 24, 2012
Let's be honest, there are not a lot of things to review when it comes to an internal hard drive. The main things are if they work and if are stable. I ordered four of these for a NAS device (the Synology DiskStation 4-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS411J (White) if you're interested) and one of the drives was dead on arrival. Amazon replaced it quickly and the system has been running for 10 months with no drive problems what so ever. The speeds I'm getting are exactly what would be expected with the NAS device running in RAID 5. I'm getting about 30MB/s writing to the drive and 60MB/s reading from it which is more than fast enough to stream HD content.

I'll update this review if any of the other drives go bad, but as of now all the tests show perfectly working drives. I'd definitely recommend these drives.

Rate and Discover Movies