3,459 Reviews
 (2,077)

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good.
I've dealt almost exclusively with WD for the last 10 years....I had a string of bad luck with Seagate before that, and had sworn off of them. Well, times have changed, and I'm willing to see if Seagate has improved over the years. Post-flood WD seems to be sticking to the absurd prices after other makers are slowly going back down to reasonable prices. And I have to say...
Published on April 17, 2012 by Skullywag

2,160 of 2,398 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars POWER OF ONE or WEAKNESS OF 0.67 - how to avoid getting the bad drive version...
UPDATE January 2014:

Thanks to information from many useful comments, a short update:

1) The problem is still the same as it was. Both 2TB drives are still being sold with the same model number. Due to changes in serial nunbers, depth of the drive housing's indentation has now become the best way to distinquish the drives (see user images - bottom...
Published 23 months ago by niels

1.0 out of 5 stars Not dependable, July 2, 2012
I purchased 6 of these to use in a 4 drive RAID setup (four working, two extras) for dependable backup. Within a week two drives failed me - both reported bad sectors across the drives. Within two more weeks, two other drives have failed also with bad sectors. The other two are still working, but I can't depend on them to backup my data.

If you need to keep your data around, I can't recommend these drives.

3.0 out of 5 stars 1 - 2 -3 - 4 TB?, September 18, 2013
This reviews are a waist of time. I got here because I was interested in a 4TB Seagate drive but the reviews coming from the 4TB drive contain mostly reviews for 1 - 2 - and some 3 TB drives. Why can you not assign the reviews properly to fit to the corresponding drive? Different Seagate drives - different reviews - right?
I have seen this issue with other products as well - it needs to be fixed as it might be misleading some potential customers.
Sincerely

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect in 27" 2009 late model iMac!, April 26, 2012
ibglowin (Lost Almost, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001 (Personal Computers)
Giving this guy 5 stars out of the box. Should it not last or develop problems I will edit the stars and the review. For now I am a VERY HAPPY camper. I got this installed on 4/25/12 based on another users review (here on Amazon) that said this drive worked in his late 2009 iMac. Happy to report the same experience. If you have done any research on the problem with these late model iMacs it is that Apple installed a temp sensor that connects to the drive as well as the power and SATA cable so you have 3 cables to disconnect and reconnect on the drive. If you have a Seagate drive you have to replace with a Seagate drive or the fans will spin out of control as there is no temp feedback. Disassembly and installation took me about an hour since this was my first time. I could do it again in 30 min if I had to do it again. Not really that hard if you have any experience doing things like this. Just make sure you have the suction cups and a decent set of Torx screwdrivers. There are videos on youtube an good detailed pics on ifixit.com as well. I went from a 1TB drive to a 2TB drive so nice to have twice the amount of storage. Apple will only install the same size drive if you take it to them for this repair. They will charge you $285 for the drive, $49 for the install and another $99 to transfer your data to the new computer if you can't do it yourself. My drive had a sticker on the sealed wrapper that said it was made in China. Perhaps the ones that failed quickly or were DOA were made in Thailand and suffered from flood damage (like many other drives). Time will tell. I will back this guy up as soon as I get everything updated and all apps working again from the data transfer that took most of last night to finish. If you don't have a Seagate drive you have to purchase a Western Digital drive. To find which drive you have go to "About this Mac" and click on "more info" then Serial-ATA. You will see the model number installed. Google that number to find out exactly which drive you have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty Period May Not Be the Advertised 2 Years, March 27, 2014
This drive failed without any warning on March 26, 2014--the dreaded clicks. Amazon showed I bought the product on September 3, 2012 and the product page stipulates a limited 2-year warranty, so I decided to get a warranty replacement. However, Seagate's warranty check stated that my warranty ran out on September 29, 2013. Upon calling Seagate's customer service, I was informed that this product only has a 1-year warranty. I am currently contesting this based on the clearly visible information on Seagate's product page that this product has a 2-year warranty. I trust Seagate will take appropriate action to remedy this inconsistency in their warranty validation database, but if not, I wish to warn Amazon users here that the warranty period listed for this product (and perhaps others) is incorrect.

Update 1: After sending documentation about the stated warranty period, Seagate agreed to update their warranty database for my particular case. (Although, scanning through more recent reviews, at least two other users already had this problem, so I don't know why the remedy wasn't global for this product line--one wonders if Seagate hopes most customers won't bother with contesting the warranty period). The response to the documentation was quick, which I appreciated. However, although they said the fix will propagate in 4hrs such that the RMA can be generated, it's been 9hrs and the validation tool still says my HDD is out of warranty. I'll leave another update once this makes progress.

Update 2: Twitter customer support is the way to go. I contacted @AskSeagate overnight, and once they woke up they sorted out my problem in relatively short order with appropriate ETAs for fix. Still think this HDD is not what it's made out to be (and the warranty info isn't fixed as far as I can tell) but added one more star for efficient customer service once you reach the right channels.

Update 3: Unfortunately, the HDD did not get shipped out within the period advertised (chose advance replacement). Downgraded to 1 star.

Update 4: The replacement HDD was dead on arrival (clicking already). Would downgrade to 0 stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work in Late 2009 Apple iMac without any problems, April 17, 2012
I was looking for a hard drive to replace the failing hard drive in my Late 2009 27" iMac. I read lots of guides online about the high spinning fan issue due to the thermal connection not being functional because it wasn't flashed by Apple. I was going to install an external thermal sensor like on the older models but I tried plugging it directly into the hard drive and it worked as normal. So I'm really happy I found this hard drive... but make sure you have a Seagate drive initially. If you have a Western Digital drive initially installed, you have to find a Western Digital hard drive that fits.

Replace the hard drive, plug everything in. Format the drive using disk utility to Mac OS Format, then restore from time machine backup. Not too bad. Works as OEM.

I'm just happy to have found a direct replacement hard drive, so Im sharing this info with the internet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something's not right..., March 9, 2012
So, I bought one of these, and thought the world of it- I was getting ~100Mbs plus on transfers with it, so I bought a second one. When I put them in a mirrored array, my performance dropped to about 30Mbs, and I spent the better part of a day wondering what was happening until I split the disks and found that the first one was still getting 100Mbs+, but the newer one was getting 30.
I reformatted both (full) and tried again, with the same results. Then I downloaded the seagate test suite and ran a short test on the slow one- it failed immediately with error code 606060e0.
I update the firmware and tried again- same result. I selected "fix all" on the seagate tool; it failed.
So I RMA'd it.

After RMAing it, I tested the first drive I had that ran at higher speeds- it failed! I couldn't cancel my order for the third drive soon enough, and it just got here. I threw it in my dock, ran the test, and it failed, too! I'm getting the same transfer speeds out of #3 as #1...

So, I have three of these things all failing seagate's tests, but two out of three seem just fine. I don't know if I am 0-3 in hard drives or something is wrong with seagate's test suite...?

For a 100-150Mbs drive, these are great, but it makes me unhappy that I'm 0-3 or the test suite is bad.

UPDATE:
I used a boot CD and ran the utilities from it (previously used windows version). All three disks passed...
I'm a little stumped, frankly. I think I'm just going to send the slow one back, and hope that the windows-based test suite is wrong... I have to admit, were I to do it over, I think I would get WD hard drives instead. It seems like every time I get WD Black, I'm amazed by the quality, and every time I don't, I regret it. They cost 50% more for a reason, I guess.

These drives would get another star if I felt I could totally rely on them; the two "good" drives are really fast- I was getting sustained transfers at 175 Mbs, and Truecrypt formatted and encrypted at ~140MBs (yes, that was a capital 'B'!) in a windows mirror array. If I'm 2 for 3, that's about standard for hard drives now-adays, so it would be 4 stars if I knew the windows tests were just wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived Non-Functional, Excellent Seagate Customer Service, Terrible Warranty, November 28, 2011
Jeff Chambers (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this drive under Amazon's "Amazon Vine" program where they ship customers consumer products for free in exchange for a review. The device arrived via US Postal non-functional, and I was unable to return the drive to Amazon or exchange it through Seagate. This review documented my experience, but admittedly, isn't a review about a functional drive. If you're still interested, read on...

Amazon shipped the bare drive (in a static bag only) via USPS using a plain manila envelope. There was absolutely no padding in the envelope. I removed the drive from the envelop and plugged it into my Startech eSATA USB to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station for Dual 2.5 or 3.5-Inch HDD SATADOCK22UE. Once powered up, the drive made a series of loud clicking sounds, and then spun down. After some quick troubleshooting, I determined that the drive was broken. The product warranty printed on the drive's label says it's covered up to 350 G's. I can't imagine that USPS subjected the drive to this level of torment during shipping. I immediately went to Seagate's site to open a warranty ticket. They had a slick online RMA tool, but it was unable to process the defunct drive's serial number. The site quickly routed me to Seagate's warranty number at 1-800-SEAGATE. I called the number and received a message that support was closed (during lunch hours). I called back at 1pm CT; selected option 3 for "Warranty Repairs" and was quickly greeted by a friendly customer service rep. It took 30 seconds from dialing the phone to talking to a live human being - practically unprecedented in today's America. The service rep was located in the U.S., and was extremely smart and professional. Because the drive was sent to me from Amazon Vine to review, Amazon doesn't process returns nor would Seagate provide a warranty on CDUs (Consumer Demonstration Units). I explained to Seagate that I would be writing a review on the drive, but they were unable to replace it.

Naturally, my review isn't glowing. The proprietary date code printed on the drive's cover was 12076. A quick search on Google returned [...] which deciphered the date code as August 18th, 2011 - so the drive was essentially brand new, but likely built and shipped to the U.S. before the Thai flooding. The drive I received was manufactured in China.

Overall I'd give Seagate (+1) star for friendly customer service, (-1) star for not replacing the brand new drive, and (-1) star for the drive's condition (but as I indicated earlier, the problem might have resulted from shipping it bare in a manila envelope).

Would I purchase this drive? Yes. I'm a huge fan of Western Digital but Seagate has been releasing great products since the mid-2000's. I reviewed the Seagate Barracuda XT 2000 GB 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Bare Drive - ST32000641AS in February 2010 and found it to be an excellent drive with solid performance and quiet operation - the drive is still functioning today in one of our NAS servers. We also use the Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220 2-Bay 4 TB (2 x 2 TB) Network Attached Storage ST340005LSA10G-RK, which is an exceptional NAS that consumes very little electricity.

A case can be made that without actually using a functioning version of the drive, I can't give it one star; but with the drive arriving non-functional, and Seagate not honoring a warranty on a drive that was manufactured two months earlier, how would you rate it? Had Seagate replaced the drive, I would have omitted the drive's original non-functional condition from my final review.

2.0 out of 5 stars These are a quick failure (literally), January 13, 2012
J. Hanzlik (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
I decided to buy two of these after Christmas to setup a server--something I have always wanted since running ethernet through my house. The Amazon experience was great because both drives arrived quickly along with the Synology NAS device that I ordered. I installed them and formatted them overnight along with error checking in the NAS. Everything looked good for about 24 hours and then drive 1 failed. I know it was actually the drive because I've had the unhappy experience of hearing hard drives "click" their failure in the past.

So, I am one for two--a 50% failure rate of these drives from my experience, but the one remaining drive is only a couple of days old, so we'll see if it reaches a 100% failure before the month is up.

I kept the working drive, but think I'll go back to western digital for my hard disk needs. Amazon was out of stock, so I couldn't simply exchange for a working model. This is the first time I have ever had to return something to Amazon. So far the experience is good, but all I've done is print the shipping label and take it to the UPS store. Hopefully they will credit my card quickly.

UPDATE (Feb 2, 2012)--The working drive appears to be OK, so I'll increase from one star to two. It is also playing nicely with the WD companion I purchased and installed next to it in my NAS device (which rebuilt the array overnight with no issues). If it continues to work long-term, I may eventually upgrade the drive to three stars. The Amazon return experience was amazing--I've never gone through it before, but it was easier than I ever imagined.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Terabytes On A Single Drive, April 23, 2013
Jon Kreisler (New York City, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To clarify, since Amazon is grouping several models together, I am reviewing the 4 TB model.
Apparently there are several problems with the 3 TB model, but the 4 TB model does not seem to be suffering from those issues.
At this point in time, I believe, 4 TB is the largest size, single HDD available. (In a couple of months, maybe something bigger will be available.) The drive has just four platters.
The 4 TB model has a slower spindle speed than its smaller, brethren models (5900 RPM vs. 7200 RPM.) Still this drive is no slacker, it seems pretty speedy. I was able to copy 102 GB in about 24 minutes (as a single 4TB volume.)
Whether you can use a disk this large depends on your operating system and its drivers. I use Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and it has no problems handling the disk.
You do have 4 TB to work with, but whether you choose to use it all as one big volume or partition it into 2 or more slices is up to you. I did discover, however, with a large partition size (3 TB or 4 TB) the cluster size (allocation block size) was 8K, as opposed to 4K for smaller partitions (2 TB or less.) What that means; whenever you write data to the drive, you get 8192 bytes at a time. Even if the only contents of a file is "Hi Mom", you still get 8192 bytes to hold it. That can amount to a lot of wasted space. Of course, if you are dealing with very large file sizes, this may not be a concern for you.
So far, I have had no problems with this drive. How it holds up over time remains to be seen. I have had good luck with Seagate ST drives in the past, so I'm not too concerned. I do take copious backups, so data loss is not an issue.
Having 4 TB of data storage available in a single drive can be a good thing if you are limited to just one or a couple of drives, but, on the flip-side, you can lose up to 4 TB of data if the drive fails. Make sure you have adequate backups!
Overall, I would recommend the Seagate 4TB SATA HDD. It seems solidly built and it performs well.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Compatible with IMAC 27" 2009 - Works GREAT!, July 23, 2012
100% Compatible with IMAC 27" 2009 - Works GREAT! After reading on the internet how to replace the drive in my imac 27" 2009 then reading on other sites about the thermal heat sensor wire could be a problem on certain drives... I was hesitant on if the Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda drive (newest version) would work or not. Then I read the reviews here, someone else had already tried this drive in their imac 27" 2009 and confirmed it worked. I was relieved to know before buying that this drive indeed worked with my system and I purchased it.

I purchased the 2TB and it is very quiet in my imac 27" 2009. I don't even hear it running. Heat sensor is working and everything is fine. It's running very smoothly. The plugs in the imac all fit exactly into the drive sockets, no need to worry about how it will all go back together. Just follow the directions from ifixit website to the T and it's pretty easy to do yourself. I can't paste links here but search Google for "ifixit replace hard drive imac 27" 2009" and the first link is the directions. Why pay Apple to do it for $275 and only get 1TB when you can do yourself and get 2TB for a little over $100. Also just to let you know you don't need to buy suction cups to take the glass off. The glass is just held in place with a magnet and can simply be taken off by just slipping your finger nail or credit card in the top corner edges and lift. Hope this helps