Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seagate 500GB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST500DM002)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on February 16, 2012
Update - After one year of usage, this drive is still working fine, it runs faster than my older hard drive and it has remained speedy after one year of heavy usage. The noise is just fine, and it hasn't had any hiccups or errors in the year that I've been using it. Much better reliability than the western digital hard drive it replaced (so far).
____

I received and installed this drive yesterday and so far it works great. Not as fast as an SSD but still respectable boot up. A bit louder than my other 5400rpm drives but that's to be expected. A word of caution, if you use HD Tune Pro to examine the SMART readings of the drive it will give you a very high value for Raw Error Rate. This is misleading, Seagate uses 42 bits to store this value and HD tune pro reads only the bottom 32 bits which is actually the number of total seeks. To get the correct value I suggest using HD Sentinel or the Seatune utility available from Seagate's website support. The Seatune utility is supposed to work on non Seagate drives as well.

Reliability of the drive so far has been good (4 months of use) with no errors, still works fast - twice as fast as my other regular hard drives (which are older). The noise level is ok.
VINE VOICEon April 6, 2012
I am extremely happy with the 2TB drive. I avoided the 3TB drive because there are some reports about special modes used beyond 2TB that aren't as compatible as 2TB. So for me, even though 3TB can be only a little more, I preferred to rest assured with worry free compatibility of 2TB. For a fresh install of Windows, the BIOS (on my Intel DZ68BC motherboard) and Windows 7 64-bit OEM setup disk had no problem detecting, formatting, and using the drive. The drive is very fast being SATA III (6G/s) with a large 64MB cache. Of course it isn't SSD, but for large files like videos, it has been stellar for me. It is quiet enough that I never hear it unless I listen closely, doesn't heat up my case (according to the motherboard that monitors the case and reports via software), doesn't seem to eat up power in how I use it, and very fast. I do a lot of HD video storage, editing, and copying from my HD camcorder and it flies for me.

Now it isn't SSD. It still has moving parts, rotating platters, and is affected by seek times. But it superbly suited for storing and accessing large files like HD video, music, etc, that are contiguous blocks on the disk that it can just start reading fast without seeking. I recommend an SSD (like the Intel 510 Series 120 GB SSD that I love even more than this HDD for operating system files and documents. With SSD, the computer boots fast, opens apps very fast (IE, FireFox, & MS WOrd are nearly instant), and opens documents very fast. But 120 GB is limited. So I use this 2TB HDD as a very fast large file storage for video, pictures, music, and archiving stuff. I think this HDD is a great compliment to my SSD.

The drive is OEM, and it really doesn't come with anything but the drive itself, no cables, no power adapters, no screws, or software. But you really should have everything you need already. Any Sata cable should do (all should be the same). When purchased from and shipped by Amazon, it seems very well protected. I didn't have any worries. I wouldn't worry about the bad Vine review reports about broken drives from shipping which I suspect got shipments from a different facility that didn't know what they were doing with computer parts. I can attest I purchased from Amazon and am happy with the packaging from Amazon.
44 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2012
I purchased the 3 TB version of this drive to add to an unRAID server (used as a home server used to store multi-media files). The drive failed to format and then also failed the SeaTools short test. We've watched the warrantee on Seagate Barracuda drives drop from five years to three years to one year. It appears that Seagate doesn't believe its own advertised <1%/year failure rate. Seagate quality control is definitely on the decline...
66 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2012
May be just my bad luck, but hard drive arrived with totally inadequate packaging. Simple small carboard box, with one plastic stablizer at the top and bottom, within the box. No bubble wrap, no styrofoam peanuts, not even a crumpled up newspaper to protect it in shipping.

Box crinkled up - obviously crushed and shocked during transit. Not surprising that the drive was totally dead. Makes a beeping noise that seagate drives are known for when they have crashed and are dead. Have to Refund.

I'm a huge Amazon fan for all else, but this experience sure shakes my confidence regarding packaging -- I'll have to buy from a standard computer retailer from now on. LOTS of wasted time trying to troubleshoot this killed drive.
review image review image
44 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2014
THE BAD #1

I bought 8 3TB drives on 9/11/2012 for a RAID 6 system using an Areca ARC-1882IX-12 controller. I've had 5 die - 3/25/14 (18.5 months), 6/27/14 (21.5 months), 8/9/14 (23 months), 8/30/14 (23.5 months), and 8/31/14 (23.5 months). I'm writing this review on 9/1/14, so I expect more failures with the remaining drives.

Since this item is sold as a 'bare' drive, it comes with a limited warranty. The Seagate warranty website has said each of my drives was out of warranty when they died, so the warranty is something less than 18 months.

I've tried running SeaTools for DOS (the recommended way to do a deep repair of a drive). The tool has reported an unrecoverable error for each drive, so no luck there.

THE BAD #2

You never know what drive you are going to get when you order one of these. I've replaced each of the 5 drives that have failed with a new drive, so I've bought 13 of these in total (so far). I now have a mix of 1CH166 (CC27), 1ER166 (CC43), and 9YN166 (CC4H) models. A RAID purest will tell you that all your drives should be identical, so I wish I could ensure I was getting a specific model number and firmware, but this is how Seagate rolls. Read niels' "POWER OF ONE or WEAKNESS OF 0.67" review for more info on this.

THE GOOD

The drives are cheap and quite fast when they work. I would be really nervous to use one of these without having it in a fault tolerant system such as RAID 1/5/6/etc. Fortunately for me, my Areca RAID controller has been flawless at handling the mixed drive versions and rebuilding of the failed drives when needed.

I hear of similar issues with other drives as well, so I'm not ready to completely jump ship to a different brand since I currently have 8 working drives and a healthy RAID system. However, if you are reading this and thinking of buying several drives, you might want to investigate other brands to ensure you get off to a good start.
review image
on March 3, 2012
Exactly 2 weeks, one out of two drives is dead.

details:
bought 2 drives and a DS212j and tested them by creating a JBOD (yeah, I know the risk, just testing).
the NAS rests on the floor, dust free, vibration free, in air conditioning environment.
no stress testing, just listening music and accessing documents/photos through mapped network drive for about one hour every day.
Temperature of HDD 2 is always several degree higher than HDD 1's, e.g, 37 vs. 34 degree C.
HDD 2 is crashed this morning without any warning. Its S.M.A.R.T. status is Abnormal and the volume/data is lost.
22 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2012
Giving this guy 5 stars out of the box. Should it not last or develop problems I will edit the stars and the review. For now I am a VERY HAPPY camper. I got this installed on 4/25/12 based on another users review (here on Amazon) that said this drive worked in his late 2009 iMac. Happy to report the same experience. If you have done any research on the problem with these late model iMacs it is that Apple installed a temp sensor that connects to the drive as well as the power and SATA cable so you have 3 cables to disconnect and reconnect on the drive. If you have a Seagate drive you have to replace with a Seagate drive or the fans will spin out of control as there is no temp feedback. Disassembly and installation took me about an hour since this was my first time. I could do it again in 30 min if I had to do it again. Not really that hard if you have any experience doing things like this. Just make sure you have the suction cups and a decent set of Torx screwdrivers. There are videos on youtube an good detailed pics on ifixit.com as well. I went from a 1TB drive to a 2TB drive so nice to have twice the amount of storage. Apple will only install the same size drive if you take it to them for this repair. They will charge you $285 for the drive, $49 for the install and another $99 to transfer your data to the new computer if you can't do it yourself. My drive had a sticker on the sealed wrapper that said it was made in China. Perhaps the ones that failed quickly or were DOA were made in Thailand and suffered from flood damage (like many other drives). Time will tell. I will back this guy up as soon as I get everything updated and all apps working again from the data transfer that took most of last night to finish. If you don't have a Seagate drive you have to purchase a Western Digital drive. To find which drive you have go to "About this Mac" and click on "more info" then Serial-ATA. You will see the model number installed. Google that number to find out exactly which drive you have.
44 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2012
I purchased 6 of these to use in a 4 drive RAID setup (four working, two extras) for dependable backup. Within a week two drives failed me - both reported bad sectors across the drives. Within two more weeks, two other drives have failed also with bad sectors. The other two are still working, but I can't depend on them to backup my data.

If you need to keep your data around, I can't recommend these drives.
77 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 18, 2015
I've purchased at least 10 of these over the last 2 years, and I thought it was just me having major problems with these drives. I currently have 2 pending RMA (already returned 2 others). Apparently not: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/203478-backblaze-pulls-3tb-seagate-ssds-from-service-details-post-mortem-failure-rates
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear David,

We apologize for the problems with your Desktop 3TB drives and would like to talk with you in more detail by phone to determine the root cause and available resolution. If the drives have not yet been returned, we would like the chance to receive the items back for additional testing. We have created a support case based upon your Amazon name and review. To contact us by phone, please use the following link:

For additional contact options outside our phone business hours, please use the following link:

Best Regards,
Seagate Support
on January 13, 2012
I decided to buy two of these after Christmas to setup a server--something I have always wanted since running ethernet through my house. The Amazon experience was great because both drives arrived quickly along with the Synology NAS device that I ordered. I installed them and formatted them overnight along with error checking in the NAS. Everything looked good for about 24 hours and then drive 1 failed. I know it was actually the drive because I've had the unhappy experience of hearing hard drives "click" their failure in the past.

So, I am one for two--a 50% failure rate of these drives from my experience, but the one remaining drive is only a couple of days old, so we'll see if it reaches a 100% failure before the month is up.

I kept the working drive, but think I'll go back to western digital for my hard disk needs. Amazon was out of stock, so I couldn't simply exchange for a working model. This is the first time I have ever had to return something to Amazon. So far the experience is good, but all I've done is print the shipping label and take it to the UPS store. Hopefully they will credit my card quickly.

UPDATE (Feb 2, 2012)--The working drive appears to be OK, so I'll increase from one star to two. It is also playing nicely with the WD companion I purchased and installed next to it in my NAS device (which rebuilt the array overnight with no issues). If it continues to work long-term, I may eventually upgrade the drive to three stars. The Amazon return experience was amazing--I've never gone through it before, but it was easier than I ever imagined.
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse