5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon packaging is excellent! And works as advertised.
Published 24 months ago by Steve Durham

5 stars for the drive. It does get hot, but it does the job nicely.

Published 14 months ago by nerdyguy1618

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful who you buy it from -- no manufacturer's warranty!, July 3, 2013
nerdyguy1618 (Long Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
5 stars for the drive. It does get hot, but it does the job nicely.

However, be careful who you buy it from. The product description says 5 year warranty. I bought mine from AeonMicro, and when I tried to register it with Seagate, I was informed that there was no warranty from Seagate, because the drive was sold as part of a unit. Now I notice Aeon writes, under condition, "1 year warranty". But it's not a Seagate warranty. Other sellers do the same thing. One seller advertised a five year warranty, and I contacted them to check on it. They looked up one of the drives they had for sale, and it only had four years left of the warranty.

Amazon should not let sellers sell drives as "new" if they don't have the manufacturer's warranty.

If you want what is advertised: a 5-year warranty from Seagate, you'll pay more, but I would say it's worth it. I have returned a drive to Seagate under warranty before, and they have excellent customer service.

I don't know if you get the full warranty when you buy from amazon. I'll check and report back if I get a response...

3.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding product delivered unusable, September 13, 2012
I chose this item because of its reliability, speed and storage capacity. Unfortunately, the item did not work from the initial installation. Seagate offers software for testing and troubleshooting their products and with every test performed it failed. It arrived truly bare in that it wasn't even shipped in an electrostatic protective bag, which Seagate suggested might be part of the problem. They also said this was the first Constellation drive they could ever recall having been defective when brand new. Thankfully, Constellation drives carry the longest warranty in the industry and since I had owned this less than one month they agreed to take it back and send me a new one immediately. Their great customer service somewhat compensates for having a brand new drive doa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon packaging is excellent! And works as advertised., September 6, 2012
This review is from: Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB 7200RPM 6 Gb/s SATA 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000NM0011 (Personal Computers)
Works great in my Netgear ReadyNAS Pro 2. Although the drive is labeled as OEM, it shipped in Amazon packaging that was probably better than retail, with the black plastic spacer things. I've bought dozens of OEM hard drives from other vendors, notoriously that egg place, and usually OEM's are just thrown in some bubble wrap. I am converted and will now only buy my OEM drives from Amazon from now on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and Fairly Quiet, but be sure of what you want to do with it, and take note of a noticeable downside., February 23, 2013
I admit I should have done a bit more digging on this drive before buying it and installing it but the initial points were pretty good selling points all on their own:

-Extra long warranty (5 years I think?)
-Enterprise Grade reliability
-6 Gb/s and 64mb cache drive memory

All in all, those are some solid points that point to a very reliable choice for back up purposes, which is what I wanted for a backup drive. After nearly losing a big chunk of my digital data with some external USB 2.0 WD drives, I decided to spend a few more bits and see what an "Enterprise Grade" backup drive is capable of.

What I've found is that this is a solid choice for using it as a backup drive but it has some noticeable caveats, particularly if you've become "spoiled" like me using SSDs and WD 10k RPM Raptor drives over the years.

-Noise - While this drive is nowhere near as noisy as those Raptors (I kinda see why they took that name given the "gnashing" sound they like make) it is pretty noticeable, even with the silencer screws I have installed.

-Speed - This is perhaps the biggest black mark against this drive. I get the impression that this thing was meant to be put into a dedicated raid setup or NAS rack and kept on it's own channel always turned on and not part of a desktop itself. Once again, I fault myself for not digging into it more before I bought it, but it bears noting. This drive WILL slow down your computer, particularly if your primary drives are SSDs or 10k rpm drives, even if it's on its own SATA Channel.

There is a notable lag time when accessing or "spooling up" the drive if you haven't accessed it earlier in your session, bootup definitely takes longer than before when I had it installed. Now I'm not sure if this is a fault of the drive with some out of date firmware, or something else with my Sata Controllers, but I can definitely see a slowdown. It's not massive, but it's certainly noticeable after just having SSDs in my computer for the last year or so.

In spite of that, data performance is solid across the board. I was able to offload data fairly quickly when I actually put it to the task of moving large chunks of data and the extra cache memory definitely eliminated slowdowns I usually associate with large file transfers from a USB drive when I was copying my video collection from my dying external to this drive.

Ultimately, saying this as a home user using the drive as a single-drive-internal backup solution, I don't think it's worth the money unless you have the coin to spend on multiple drives for a raid or NAS setup. It performs well enough as a solo drive, but if you have SSDs in your rig, you'll experience enough of a slow-down to be noticeable in day-to-day operations.

3.0 out of 5 stars No manufacturer warranty, July 23, 2013
Jon Daley (Hillsboro, NH, USA) - See all my reviews
I called Seagate when I received the drives, because I've had issues in the past with warranties not being what they claimed to be, and in this case, these are "oem drives", which from Seagate's perspective, means they were sold to someone for the express purpose of being sold as part of a system, and thus no warranty allowed from Seagate.

As these drives are not sold as part of a system, and weren't purchased directly from Seagate (Seagate wouldn't tell me the vendor name, but verified that it wasn't this vendor), it makes wonder where these drives came from, and what their lifespan will be.

The seller said they would honor the warranty themselves. I bought 10 drives, so I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of the 5 year warranty via the seller. And we'll see how that goes, though unfortunately for you, that will be far too late (hopefully... I hope I don't have to take advantage of the warranty soon...) to make a difference for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, Dependable, Great for Backups, February 14, 2013
John K. (Gaylord, MI) - See all my reviews
Arrived quickly, packaged well. Recognized by BIOS & Win7x64, installed with no problems.

Transferred my System image files and file backups to this drive, then verified the transfer. Fast and quiet, it never skipped a beat throughout the process, and temp remained around 95 degrees F. Running continuously shouldn't be a problem.

This drive will serve as my 2nd backup in case of emergency, looks like it will come through when I need it. Speed is fine, noise level is only a tad higher than my Caviar HD. Could easily serve as a primary drive, if that's your intent.

Reliability was my main concern here, and it looks like this unit makes the cut. A little more expensive then some, but I figure with moderate usage this drive will last a long time. I'd have no problem setting up a RAID-1 array with a couple of these drives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hard drive but watch out for sellers selling DELL, June 21, 2013
***** BUYER BEWARE *****

This is a great product but I bought this thinking I was getting the real deal - instead it showed up with a DELL label on it!

This means a ONE year warranty through the company that you buy it from on Amazon INSTEAD OF a FIVE year warranty through Seagate!!!

My response to the sellers: if you're not selling the same product as the one listed - list it as something else! In my book a Dell hard drive is NOT the same as a generic Seagate hard drive - you're not getting the same thing.

I strongly recommend you look at the "condition" comments on each seller before making a purchase on this

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, a reliable buy., December 2, 2012
I've had this product for about 3 months now. Don't regret the purchase for a second, and how can I? It works perfectly as advertised. I do not use it as a boot-drive. I instead use a 120GB SSD OCZ Vertex 4. Since the SSD is so small in size, I actually change my profile's/user account's folders to re-direct to the 1TB Seagate, and it works perfectly fine as a data storage drive with quick transfer rates. It houses my masses of junk and some video games I dont use on my other SSD (I have another 120GB SSD, Kingston HyperX which houses load-instense video games such as Skyrim, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES!)

So again, I'd highly recommend this product, and maybe even an SSD to aid in your boot, whether you throw your whole OS on it, or you use intel rapidstart (which reserves a small portion of an SSD to boot quicker if your OS is not on the SSD).

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy with Caution! May be USED!, October 16, 2013
Solid 3Gb/s performance from a USED drive. My last 6 drives ordered under this item number (multiple vendors) have been well used (average 6,000 hrs each); with all being returned.
While the performance and reliability of Seagate Constellation drives is excellent, I just don't like being mislead; (e.g.used 3 Gb/s drives instead of the advertised new 6 Gb/s drives). So much for bargain shopping. My advice is to contact the vendor prior to ordering to determine what type of stock is on hand, or just order NEW from Amazon for $30-35 more (see listing for ES.3 drives).

4.0 out of 5 stars Running in an Ubuntu/Plex home media server, April 12, 2013
During some home renovation/spring cleaning, I was reminded of a previous gaming rig that was collecting dust. I had been toying with the idea of a media server and thought this would be a good low-cost starting point for one.

After a ton of research I decided that Ubuntu and Plex would serve this purpose nicely - and with a an E8400 dual core processor, 8GB ram, etc...I wouldn't have to purchase anything...or so I thought.

I was fascinated by the open-source options. Coupled with the formerly-mothballed equipment that was more than up to the task, I became obsessed with making this an inexpensive build - and hoped for zero cost. I quickly found out but was loathe admitting that many of us DIY'ers want to create a media server for our homes yet fall prey to neglecting the topic of hard drives. Of course, one thinks about space requirements and drive speed, however I read countless warnings that enterprise level drives should be considered over their commercial counterparts.

I had two 250GB drives in the machine that were RAID0 for performance since it was formerly for gaming only. They had served me well so I decided to do some testing and keep them in the media server, at least for a time as I knew I needed much more space long-term.

The result of hammering a media server for 24/7 for a couple of weeks saw one of these drives fail. Perhaps it was coincidence, but to me it was proof enough that commercial drives are simply not up to being hammered 24 hours a day.

I replaced both drives with one Constellation ES 2TB partitioned currently for boot/OS and user media. To date, it is performing flawlessly and streaming movies and music to Roku devices, Kindles, and PCs around the home.

Since the drive has only been active for over a month, I kept my review to 4 stars - However if this Constellation enterprise drive stands up to the abuse, I plan on purchasing at least another in 4TB size as our media storage needs grow.

Rate and Discover Movies