Oh yeah and if anyone is considering the 6TB there's several major differences from previous 4TB Seagate's I own:

#1 runs about 6C hotter i.e. 37C at load vs 31C for 4TB drive.

Published 5 months ago by Dave Angel

1.0 out of 5 stars Problematic since day 1!
I purchased 15 of these drives in both the OEM and boxed retail version when they first came out and they were not cheap at that time. All 15 failed within the first year due to the now well-known firmware problem that Seagate had released in the drives. It seems that after they were power cycled about 100 times they just died.

Seagate has a good warranty...
Published on December 26, 2011 by JJCEO

1.0 out of 5 stars Problematic since day 1!, December 26, 2011

Seagate has a good warranty program and they would exchange them for free. That still doesn't pay for all of your time, labor, troubleshooting, lost data, and shipping cost to return them to have them replaced. Sadly when you would return a drive that may be only a few months old they would return a refurbished drive with new firmware. You have no idea how many hours this drive was used or how much life is left in it. Out of 15 returned drives 8 have failed a second time and some even a third from bad sectors on the disk surface. More time, labor, troubleshooting, and costs down the drain again.

I even got returned units that were refurbished and they failed right out of the box. The last returns I sent back for the third time I told them I did not want any more refurbished drives sent to me and they agreed.

Seagate has been supportive to me but what a lot of work. For a computer GEEK I cannot think of a worse problem than continuous failures and loss of data from a top reputation company like Seagate. They have forced me to become an expert at testing drives before they are installed and before I return them. The testing software "SeaTools" and I have become old friends.

I still buy Seagate drives and the newer models work fine. I still test them all before installation.

4.0 out of 5 stars May not fit your drive bay if it required use of middle mounting holes, July 8, 2014

#1 runs about 6C hotter i.e. 37C at load vs 31C for 4TB drive.

#2 missing holes in the middle of drive for mounting so may be a problem for some. Apparently they add an extra platter to hit 6TB so that's why they had to get rid of middle holes since there was no space left for them and probably why it runs hotter too.

#3 makes more noise than older drive most likely due to extra platters. I have it running in an external dock until I replace one of the drives in my 4 bay Seagate NAS and I can definitely hear it making noise especially when it first starts up or starts working hard. Not as noticeable on older 2 and 4TB drives.

#4 Performance wise this is probably the fastest mechanical drive I've used in a long time!
200MB/s which is way faster than the typical 120MB/s and even faster than some SSD drives!
See the picture I posted. The slowest speed of this this drive around 167MB/s is the fastest speed for the older 4TB as you can see.

Oh yeah it comes un-formatted so expect to wait a while to do a full format to make sure there were no bad sectors from the start took around 10 hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars quiet, fast, reliable, August 19, 2006
I have two of these drives, one for video editing, one for a server. I've been completely satisfied with them; they were easy to install and their performance has been excellent. The SATA cables are a huge improvement over the old ATA ribbon cables, both for ease of installation and for improved airflow inside the computers. Windows recognizes SATA drives without a problem.

The disk comes with a CD that includes installation software (not needed, for me at least) and Seagate's BounceBack Express backup software.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Capacity, High Performance, High reliability, March 11, 2008
The first thing to be mentioned, is that no one can rightfully complain about not having 1TB of storage, every drive, for the longest time is rated raw. When I formatted mine to NTFS it was 931.5GB, about 20GB more than I even expected.

The second thing to understand, is every drive model, from every manufacturer, has a pretty standard, and somewhat high, DOA (here I am considering DOA as literally dead on arrival, and 1 week and under) rate. If you receive a DOA, rate the replacement, or the service you received. If you get two DOA's, or get a replacement that is DOA; complain freely.

I have my drive (I have the exact drive, except I purchased it OEM) inside a Nexstar 3 enclosure (capable of recognizing all 1TB) via esata (you can use USB 2.0 with this enclosure as well). The esata run into my Asus G2S-B2 via a Rosewill Expresscard32 2-port esata expansion. In short, the performance I received, will reflect SATAII internal performance Identically.

The first thing to do, if your sata controller can handle auto-negotiation, is to remove the tiny gray jumper entirely, this will increase your burst performance.

Seq. Write - 70 MB/s Seq. Read - 105 MB/s Buffered Write - 59 MB/s Buffered Read - 62 MB/s Random Reading - 54 MB/s This drive is faster than the kin Seagate inside my laptop as the main disk. For those of you who can't use it internally or through esata, you will not see this kind of performance, the theoretical throughput of USB 2.0 is almost half the seq. read.

These tests are run through PC Wizard 2008, important, with the jumper installed. I didn't wish to assume people know what it is and know if their sata controller can use it removed. The performance is slightly better, but nothing substantial, without the jumper (it effectively dubs the drive down to sata 1).

I've basically torture tested this drive since I received it almost a month ago, it is perfect. Generally, I've found, drives fail sooner than later; this drive will most likely serve me for quite some time.

I recommend this drive over any other, if the performance is not higher (Hitachi's are snoozfest), then the fail rate is much much lower (Samsung's new 1TB is notoriously bad, unacceptably high fail rate). etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good while it works, May 30, 2008
Head crash at nine months. Hard drive had four fans to keep it cool, so was operating just above room temperature. Zero shocks to the drive (unless they occurred in shipping before I got it, of course). I wonder if these are designed based on Maxtor mechanisms (some of which were prone to heads breaking off due to a design flaw). Either way, my trust in Seagate drives just went way down....

It sounded like low frequency hum and high frequency whine as the head etched a groove in the media. By the time the dd to clone the drive to a spare was finished, the drive was completely unreadable (including the parts that I'd already read).

Edited 9/25/2011: I just lost the drive that Seagate sent to replace that one, also to a (mechanical) head crash. I wish I knew when I wrote this review so I could say how long it lasted, but at this point, I can safely conclude that this drive series is *seriously* mechanically flawed. Seagate, recall this piece of junk.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but loud, May 21, 2007
This drive works great and was very easy to install. I was a little disappointed with how loud it is when accessing data - it can compete with my iTunes music late at night. I have a feeling that most of the larger capacity drives will have these noise issues though. I still recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars No longer a 5 year warranty item, August 30, 2012
I would rate this item 4 stars. However, one reason I purchased this hard drive was because of its 5 year warranty.

When it arrived, the box said one year warranty. Checking with Seagate verified it was one year.

I also purchased this item from the local Bestbuy for $75. Their computers said it was a 5 year warranty also. Upon checking with the Seagate warranty verification website, it would not take the PN that was on the hard drive. The box it came in had a different PN and that one was acceptable to Seagate. So, if you buy this hard drive, keep the PN on the box just in case your hard drive goes out within the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HD for an awesome price, December 12, 2007
After my WD My Book crashed with all my major files, I wanted to get a good harddrive that was reliable, fast, large capacity, quiet, and did I say reliable? I read many reviews on this Seagate 500GB Barracuda model, and decided to go with it. After getting 2 duds (OEM HD's) from another "eggcelent" online store, I basically gave up on it. I tried a 3rd time, and got it from here... and could not be happier with my choice. For the extra $10, I got a brand new, sealed haddrive with the full 5 year warranty. The harddrive itself is excellent and quite small. The SATA is super fast compared to ATA. Not only does it transfer my files in a flash, but the noise is whisper quiet. I read some reviews that this particular model is quite noisy when it writes, but I think those are just bad models, because mine is barely noticeable even when I'm transferring Gigs worth of data. I partitioned my drive in 2 parts, and have not had any problems with it thus far. If you're looking for a large storage HD with a small price, I highly recommend you go with this one.

I haven't shopped much on Amazon before, but I was blown away by their service. Free super saving, which stated it would arrive in 9-15 days or something, delivered to my door in 2! I am very satisfied with the product and the service.

PS. I don't work for Amazon nor am I trying to suck up to them... I was just really impressed with their speedy service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comes with SATA & power cables, mounting screws!, April 9, 2013
I bought this thinking it was just a barebones 4TB harddrive...to my surprise (and joy) it had packaged in with the HDD a SATA cable and a power cable, and even mounting screws! I'm really impressed with this drive, it's so affordable considering how intricate the build quality is, and the fact that it's 4TB. To be honest, this is the first product I've bought from Seagate in ~10yrs (for a while there I was using external HDD's from Western Digital, but I wanted to make a change, and thus far I'm glad that I did).

This drive is built using four individual disks that each have a 1TB capacity thus having a total of 4TB of space, and you'd expect it to potentially make a bit of noise, but NOPE -> its rather quite. I'm also really surprised by how cool this thing runs; I copied over 1.5TB of data and it never got all that hot, I'd say it def runs cooler than my other 2 internal HDDs.

Pros:
+ Comes packaged with a SATA cable, power cable, and mounting screws.
+ After copying over 1.5TB of data in one session it wasn't even that hot, in fact, it runs cooler than my other two internal drives (probably due to the 5,900RPM but I'm still impressed).
+ Impressively quite considering the fact that it's built with four disks & four actuator arms.
+ Affordable price considering the huge capacity.
+ External examination of the build quality is impressive.

Cons:
- 2yr warranty is OK, but not amazing.
- Slightly heavier due to being such a BOSS!

Overall this drive is a must own if you're looking to backup your data. ...I wish I had bought two of them because I'm so impressed with it, I would've given the second one away as a gift! I strongly recommend this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars HIGH FAILURE RATE WITH THIS DRIVE!, May 24, 2013
Bought 5 of these drive over the last year. They run fine for 1 or 2 months and then they die. Run Seagate diagnostics and no 2 are alike. I have seen the smart, short and long tests all fail. I always bought Seagate hard drives and have had good luck with them. Their drives always seem to run for many years with no problems. I was a faithful customer of Seagate for the last 20 years. Recently, I think Seagate is not longer a top notch manufacturer of fine hard drives and they are only running on their name like so many other companies have done in the past. Seagate has a severe quality problem.

This drive that I bought last December was only running for one month and then without notice just died. I would always keep one drive on hand just in case. I will no longer buy Seagate hard drives. I could have bought a SSD hard drive with the money that I have wasted on these drives.

Updated 06-27-2013: Had this drive installed for 2 months, everything working fine and then all of a sudden drive is not seen in Windows 7 nor is it recognized by the motherboard's bios. Finally installed the new Western Digital 500 Gig hard drive and computer works like it should. From now on, I will only buy Western Digital Hard Drives. I am sorry to say that Seagate has a major quality problem with their hard drives. Also, went to Seagate's website to get authorization to send back the last 2 hard drives recently purchased and kept getting an error saying it is not a good serial number and would kick me out of the return process. Who is Seagate trying to kid or scam, customers now today are more educated and expect more honesty then this. Total unhappy with Seagate!