VINE VOICEon September 27, 2013
Size Name: 2TBVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using an SSD as a boot drive on my Windows desktop so I can speak from experience when I say that this drive doesn't really come close to it when it comes to speed. Both are much faster than a standard drive, so the difference is only a matter of seconds, though. And the solid state drive cost nearly as much as this drive but has a fraction of the storage, only enough to hold my operating system and a few of my most frequently used programs. Everything else has to run off a second drive. This drive doesn't cost all that much more than a standard drive for the same storage, and still offers a nice boost in speed.

It works differently than a boot drive, as the computer does not recognize the solid state memory as a second drive, so you don't select which programs or files run off the drive. It only has 8GBs of solid state memory, so it couldn't even hold the operating system. Instead, the drive decides which files to store on the SSD, based on which of them are used most frequently. For that reason, the performance of the drive improves over time, as the drive learns and optimizes how it uses the limited solid state memory.

So far, I'm pleased with the drive. I really haven't noticed any differences between this one and disk based drives I've used, other than an increase in speed. It doesn't complicate things at all - the computer sees it as just another single drive. Having 2TB is nice, as I don't have to worry about space, even with a large collection of HD movies and games stored. Installing it wasn't any more difficult than other drives I've used either. If speed is your top priority, than there is no substitute for an SSD right now, but this is a nice compromise between speed and storage size at a decent price, if you're not worried about your computer taking a few more seconds to boot up.

I've included a short video so you can actually see my PC doing a complete restart. It's pretty fast, but the SSD was even faster.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2013
Size Name: 1TB
Have a mid 2011 iMac with a 3Gbps SATA -500 GB that was running out of space. Plus was getting colored wheels more often inspite of 12GB RAM. SSD at 1TB was half the price of the iMAC which made no sense and the smaller capacity SSD's were ruled out- so this is where the Seagate SSHD 1TB comes in with the right value. The drive is pretty fast and I'm into this for a week only, hence the 4 stars. Amazon's shipping was fast, though the box was not the original Seagate one. Seems like some packaging cost was reduced. Performance wise, the machine feels like a new iMAC straight out of an Apple Store!. Getting this into an iMAC is harder than changing out an MBP HDD and also much harder than a desktop PC. But all said, it is quite doable. Here are the steps- I won't go into too much detail to keep things simple, just follow the links. There may be some differences depending on your iMAC model from 2011, but expect the basic steps to be more or less the same.
Step 1)
Move new SSHD into a USB enclosure. Use clonezilla ([...] to do a disk to disk back up.

Step 2)
As a clone, the new SSHD disk is partitioned exactly like the old disk- which means 500GB is left out- Use Disk Utility to expand the SSHD into 1TB.

Step 3)
Follow this Youtube link to see how to add a new disk to the iMac. You will need the suction for the glass( I used 2 old car GPS holder suction cups to do the job) and Torx T8 drivers ( Home Depot or Lowes). You need to stop at the part where the display and cables come off fully- everything that follows is not required if you are simply swapping out your current disk with a new SSHD
[...]

Step 4)
In the top- middle section you will find the HDD attached with 2 screws. Take off those screws and the 2 cables that connect the HDD. At the bottom, you will find 2 screws sticking out -these are used to hold the HDD to the frame- Use the Torx driver to take them off. Put them back on into the new SSHD. Plug the cables into the new SSHD and put the 2 screws back on

Step 5)
Reverse all the steps, starting with each of the cable connectors as showed in the video. Once everything is back on, power up the iMAC

Step 6)
Depending on your model, you may run into an issue, where the thermal sensor for the HDD may not be detected- this results in the fan running off course and eventually going for full speed ( normal is 1100 rpm- full - 6000 rpm+). This is loud enough and if left running may meltdown the HDD fan. This problem could be fixed with Apple's SMC reset procedure ([...] Use SMC fan control freeware to check fan speeds ([...]

Step 7)
After following Apple's process, if you still observe high fan speeds buy the HDD Fan control app to fix the problem ( there is a 1 hr fully functioning demo, so that you can see it working ([...] At $35 it is a bit pricey but worth it- set it to startup at login, and set it to start in every user's login and you are good to go.

That's it. Seagate drives are generally good and I think this guy will last. I have a momentus 750G SSHD running on the MBP for the last 1 year with no issues. Anyways no more colored wheels spinning and that makes a huge difference

Nov 13th- Update
-------------------------------------------
- Well over a month now- Drive runs well and is quiet -raising my 4 to 5 stars
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 5, 2013
Size Name: 2TBVerified Purchase
I purchased this drive after having great experience with the Momentus XT 500GB (first-gen) notebook SSHD over the last two years. The drive made a great improvement in boot, hibernation and application performance in my Lenovo Thinkpad X120e when an SSD at 500GB capacity would have cost nearly 10x as much as the 500GB SSHD in 2011. I decided to "preorder" this drive over a month ago and it arrived exactly when Amazon promised (late September.)

Upon opening the drive, it looks like a normal hard drive. I mounted it below my original drive that would eventually be pulled, and temporarily plugged it in to the SATA and power cable that my DVD-ROM drive was connected too. I decided to load Seagate's free data migration software (Acronis) which is used by many other OEM's such as Intel for their SSD's. Acronis software has always worked great for me in the past as isn't based on Linux (it appears to be Windows PE) like many "cheaper" migration tools that are often unable to copy Windows GPT partitions or hidden recovery partitions. Acronis data migration in my experience also supports most USB 3.0 and eSATA controllers if you are using an external means to migrate data (such as in a laptop.) I tested it's compatibility with my Texas Instruments USB 3.0 controller and my Marvell eSATA controller and both detected properly, enabling faster copying than over USB 2.0 in a laptop. In short, Seagate's migration software is excellent.

The migration of 1TB data took about 2.5 hours using internal SATA 3Gbps. After it was finished, I disconnected the old drive, connected the SSHD, and plugged my my optical drive back in.

Windows booted and everything looked fine. Performance wasn't much faster at first, but over the course of a few days there have been noticeable improvements booting Windows, loading iTunes and Chrome, and especially switching user accounts. The performance isn't dramatic, but it's there. Windows 7 performance index went from 5.9 to 7.4. This is an Intel x58 motherboard with a 3Gbps (SATA 2.0, 300MB/sec) controller. Newer systems may have a higher rating, but from what I've read, the single 8GB NAND chip on the Seagate SSHD's is only 2-channel so it's limited to around 190MB/sec. The goal is to offer improved random access performance like an SSD, which it does.

Regarding the "product review" I've been running the drive exactly one week pretty heavily with no issues, so at least my model doesn't appear to be defective. Packaging for shipment was excellent; it arrived in a real hard drive carrier with plastic cradles at each end. SMART diagnostics tools has found no problems. Drive had 2 spin ups and 1 hours of use (all presumably factory final testing.)

Hope this review helps with your decision. It's unfortunate they don't make a 3TB and 4TB model.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2013
Size Name: 4TBVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my first Hybrid HD. I already use one SSD HD for my Windows install and another one for my main gaming disk so I am familiar with the speeds it delivers at the expense of storage space. So it seems that an Hybrid option would be ideal to get higher transfer speeds while being able to store large amounts of data..
If I am correct, the hybrid is a normal Hard drive coupled with an fairly large SSD interface.
Does it deliver? I would definitely say so.
I have just installed it a little more than one hour ago and I after formatting it with two partitions, I have started copying about 385 GB of data onto it. It has taken roughly one hour do finish it. It is extremely silent. My case is currently opened and I do not hear any disc noise whatsoever.

My file manager reported the following speeds:
- Max: 186 MB/s
- Average: 146 MB/s

My previous Seagate 4TB HD was giving me some average speeds of 104MB/s when I tested it.

Interestingly, I did not get nowhere as good results when writing onto my second partition on this disk.
Here are the speeds I obtained with the same file manager:
- Max: 131 MB/s
- Average: 95 MB/s

I also had twice the bad experience to lose the drive completely while transferring files onto it. Windows did recognize it again after rebooting. The issue has not occurred since but it worries me. I will increase my rating if it does perform well after at least one week but for the moment, the slow speed on the second partition and the sudden stops are not warranting more than two stars.

Edit 12/10/13.
As of now, the drive has not failed me again. However, when I did run it with HD Tune to check its speeds, it came out as being slower as the non hybrid drive from the same manufacturer (same 4TB size). Because the speeds are still acceptable and because it did not fail, I will increase it to 3 stars.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2013
Size Name: 2TBVerified Purchase
I wanted this specifically for it's hybrid speed, having had one on my laptop for a couple of years.

This drive is fast! Really happy with the improved performance from the stock 2011 iMac drive.

Is you install it in an iMac, you will have to buy an app to control the fan speed though, as this doesn't connect to the built in iMac fan sensors. The app is called HDD Fan Control
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 20, 2014
Size Name: 2TBVerified Purchase
Yes, another case of less than 4 months of very light use.

Meticulous installation. Weeks of reinstalling project libraries, photos, and software... flushed down the SSD drive. I am extremely disappointed in Seagate, a company with which I have had excellent experiences in the past. Any savings you may get by purchasing on of these are not worth risk (on your time and data). I presume it is a bad batch of drives, BUT I do not know if I will use Seagate to replace, unless they can tell me something very reassuring about why this will not happen again during the warranty replacement.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Andrew,

We apologize for the problem with your Desktop 2 TB Solid State Hybrid drive and have created a case in our records based on your Amazon name that shows your review and our response. Please get in touch with us by phone so we can help determine the root cause and available resolution to the problem. If from the US or Canada, our contact number for support is 800-732-4283.

Best Regards,
Seagate Support
on January 20, 2014
Size Name: 2TBVerified Purchase
it takes a couple time for it to kick in but my game load times have significantly decreased, anyone who has played battlefield 4 will know it takes minuets to load in game now it takes just a few sec.

much happy

───▐▀▒▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▀
──▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀
on September 30, 2014
Size Name: 1TBVerified Purchase
My system is a five-year old desktop, running Windows 7, that was a budget high-flyer when I got it. The Gigabyte motherboard doesn't even mention AHCI, for example. I thought my experience of installing might help others.

I installed the drive without a hitch, although I had to get a 4-pin to SATA power adapter (3 bucks) to connect it. The existing drive, a Seagate 7200 500 GByte drive was still going strong with no errors, so I kept that for backup. I cloned the current drive using Seagate's free DiskWizard and transferred the operating system and all installed software to the new drive. Worked like a dream! In Bios, I set the system to boot from the new drive and restarted. Again, no problems, Windows 7 even automatically renamed the new boot drive to C for me. Three or four programs were slightly hardwired to the old disk and wouldn't run immediately. One required using the install disk to repair the installation, the others just wanted me to manually edit the shortcut parameters - no problem. However, the drive seemed less spry than another hybrid I have on my laptop - booting took about half the time it did on the old drive, but things like coming out of Sleep seemed about the same as before. I read around and it seems I could try setting the SATA mode to ahci by editing the Registry. However, my motherboard hasn't heard of ahci, but it does have SATA enhanced setting that looked promising. Time to ask Seagate for their view. They were decidedly unhelpful - anything to do with the motherboard was not their province and they ignored my query about editing the registry. In the end by trial and error, lots of speed tests, and not a few Blue Screens of Death, I came upon the following procedure for Windows 7 - please, if you don't understand what I'm saying don't do it!

1) using regedit change the registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start - set to 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci\Start - set to 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide\Start - set to 3

2) restart the PC and enter BIOS to find the entry controlling SATA mode
It may be set to IDE, if so set it to AHCI
If your motherboard doesn't mention AHCI, set the mode to the most advanced looking option, note down what it is currently set to so that if anything goes wrong you can make it work again. On my Gigabyte motherboard, I set the SATA mode to ENHANCED.

3) Save BIOS and let it carry on booting.

This makes my hybrid drive race along! It might take a couple of seconds longer to boot (my system loads an extra drive controller), but coming out of Sleep, for example, is now instant. Another thing I should mention is that my chipset is quite old and allegedly doesn't support ahci - but it works! So, Seagate's claim that all you have to do is install the drive is not quite true. You can tweak an old system to perform like a new one!
on October 18, 2013
Size Name: 1TBVerified Purchase
I purchased this SSHD to replace an old Barracuda HDD in a Vista Home Premium HP PC to extend its useful life. Using Seagate's Disk Wizard was a breeze. However, I noticed that it would not do Windows Updates. After much searching, I found that I needed to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver version 10.8.0.1003 (the most recent one that supports Vista). This fixed the Windows Update issue. There is also a useful Microsoft Hotfix KB2553708 to improve Vista's compatibility with Advanced Format Disks.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
VINE VOICEon December 12, 2014
Size Name: 4TBVerified Purchase
I have good experience with Seagate products, but this one was a shock. I almost put the drive aside, considering installing it some time later after the busy holiday season. I am glad I didn't. I cloned the drive boot it up and was happy to see this new, fast, and spacious drive working, dreaming that I would be able to store a great deal of the videos I shoot.

The next day, I found the screen frozen. Tried a cold boot, and the system told me that there is no bootable drive. Tried many ways, checked the BIOS, nothing works. Replaced with my old drive, left it there as the second drive, boot it up, the second drive is no way to find. After various methods of diagnosis and attempts to resurrect it unsuccessfully, I had to declare it RIP. Sad!

I don't enjoy repacking it and sending it back. A waste of my precious time!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear M633,

We apologize for the problem with your Desktop 4 TB Solid State Hybrid drive and have created a case in our records based on your Amazon name that shows your review and our response. Please get in touch with us by phone so we can help find an available resolution to the problem. If from the US or Canada, our contact number for support is 800-732-4283.

Best Regards,