Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on September 15, 2012
Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBX1000100

I'm giving it only 3 stars just because of the size, it's BIGGER than described
Bought the "Case Logic Portable EVA Hard Drive Case QHDC-101 - Gray" that amazon suggested as "Frequently Bought Together" but it just doesn't fit!!! >:(

If the hard drive were the size stated it would fit perfectly

Wrong measures stated here
4.8 x 3.2 x 0.6 inches

Correct measures
5 x 3.5 x 0.78 inches

Other than that, it works perfectly
on September 20, 2012
This hard drive only lasted about 30 days and crashed. I lost all my data and now can't return for full purchase price. Very disapointing product and customer service.
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2012
why don't hd manufacturers understand that we don't want your awful bloatware preinstalled on our shiny new hard drives. make it downloadable with an in-box voucher or something but STOP SHOVING IT DOWN OUR THROATS. it SUCKS and NOT EVERYBODY WANTS IT. so no 5 stars for you! if you don't want it, cancel all attempted install prompts, open up the drive when it pops up in the finder/windows explorer, and DELETE!

with that bit of nastiness out of the way, this is a perfectly fine external drive. it works quietly for now, but that may change some with age. from my very unscientific gut sense, it's write speeds are comparable to my 1tb wd my passport. i will say the drive does not feel as solid as my passport. maybe it's because it's not packed quite as tightly as the passport (the passport is slightly smaller). a minor quibble to say the least. it won't be moving a whole lot as it's a backup to a backup so it doesn't have to be built like a tank.

other than the nonsense software which i will have none of, it's been a perfectly capable drive thus far.
on September 8, 2012
I have a desktop external drive by seagate and had zero problems from it, so I naturally went with another seagate product and this one had fairly good reviews.

When I opened the box and took out the drive, the first thing I noticed was the external case seemed loose and made a "clicking" sound near the USB port. With that much play in the case, I didn't see the drive holding up to being a portable drive to carry around. With seagate only offering a 1 year warranty, I was afraid to take my chances with the devise since they seemed to not have much faith in it as well.

I returned the drive and ordered a western digital my passport which seems to be a sturdier devise.
on August 2, 2012
I have a 300GB seagate portable drive tat is very good, so I thought I could stick with this brand name especially since the product is rather well rated. However, it turned out to be very disappointing and problematic.

Upon connecting to my laptop (ASUS U36 running Win7, using a USB3.0 port), the 'installing device driver' notification appeared on the taskbar and shortly after prompted me that there were errors with the installation. Nonetheless, the drive did show up in 'my computer' after some time, and I ignored the error.

However, when attempting to backup some data onto the drive, the copying process would go until about 1/4 way, and then stop. This happened 7 out of 8 attempts. The single time that it succeeded was when I transferred a single small folder with about 6MB of files. The rest of the attempts just stopped responding, with the progress bar stuck at '35 mins remaining' or something similar. This was for just about 3GB of files being copied or less. To make matters worse, the stalled transfer was almost impossible to cancel (via dialog box, task manager, even trying to kill the process took forever), and in the meantime the whole computer would slow to a crawl and become almost unresponsive, even hanging once (had to do a manual reset).

Perhaps I was unfortunate and received a defective piece, but I was expecting better for a Seagate product. Extremely annoying waste of time trying to make it work too. I'm gonna try to return the item and probably go for another model, perhaps the Western Digital Passport instead. Very horrible experience and very disappointed with Seagate now.
11 comment8 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on September 27, 2013
I used it lightly and for only the last six months. It failed. There was a time many years ago when the Seagate brand meant quality and reliability. It was a test to buy this. I had read mixed reviews but enough were positive to make me curious if standards had improved. Businesses change. It is difficult to maintain first rate standards. Seagate is a different company today offering a cheaply made line of drives for little money. You simply get what you pay for. All drives fail eventually but this one's half of one year's occasional use is evidence of disappointing performance problems and unreliability. My previous portable Seagate drive lasted just over two years. I will spare you a rant.

Update 11/08/13

It appears Seagate makes an effort to reach all of us at Amazon who have not been happy with our drives. I was offered a substantial discount on data recovery. Initially I thought that was primarily an alternate, additional means of company revenue generation. However, what struck me about the various people I spoke to in technical problem solving, data recovery and customer service was a sincere attempt to analyze, trouble shoot, determine what the problem was, including if in fact it really was fatal damage, the likely cause of drive failure and customer resolution. Smart, polite, helpful people right here in the US. Ultimately, I was treated very well. I did not opt for the recovery but received a replacement under warranty. I found everyone to be professional and well informed. What was also unusual these days was how much they appeared to care about customer satisfaction. What I do not know of course is the relative failure rate of this company's portable drives compared with those of the competition. But I do know that this company has invested in its personnel to address problems as they arise and work with customers. In an age of mass produced drives sold on low profit margins in a market where comparative price primarily drives the industry, that kind of customer commitment is well worth making note of. Frankly, I did not think it still existed. It makes Seagate distinct. It matters to me. Thank you Seagate in general and Tony, Jamie, Rory and Robert in particular.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear John,

We noticed your review and wanted to apologize for the problems experienced with your Expansion Portable drive.

We would like to talk with you, by phone preferably, to determine the root cause and available resolution to the problem. We have created a case based on your Amazon name that shows your review and our response. If from the US or Canada, our contact number for technical support is 800-732-4283. If outside of the US or Canada, please try us here under Technical Support (choose your region):

Best Regards,
Seagate Support
on September 13, 2012
good item except for the picture on amazon's picture looks nice but as soon as you receive your hard drive you will be confused looking at a total differernt product design but the model number matches but it looks ugly and huge
on October 30, 2013
..just sayin. I don't know whats wrong with it... when I plug it in, the blue light turns on, but it doesn't show up on my computer anywhere. Booo, all that saved information lost!
on February 1, 2014
Something I've learned over the past decade or two of buying hard drives is you have to take reviews with a grain of salt. When it comes to HDDs they typically work and work for a very long time, they only last a month or so, or are DOA. Unfortunately this is also a product people are quicker to write a poor review than a good one, because in reality failure rates are very small.

I'm a Seagate fan. I've been using Seagate for a long time and I've never had an issue with a drive. I have a 6 year old 250 GB external Seagate drive that spins 24/7 and has zero issues. Numerous desktop drives that are even older and have zero issues. I recently bought Seagate's new to the market SSD and it's fantastic as well. I've had this 1TB expansion drive a couple years now for backup and it's never let me down.

I can't give this hard drive 5 starts because of the terrible USB 3 Micro B connector. This is unfortunate because it's the USB 3.0 standard and not really in Seagate's control. It really is a terrible connector, it constantly loses connection and comes out way to easily. Sometimes even the slightest of bumps and the drive will disconnect.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2012
This was a great product for a wonderful price. Easy as pie to install. Would recommend this extra memory to anyone that needs additional and/or back up drive.