4.0 out of 5 stars I am very happy with my purchase
I am very happy with my purchase:

-- perfect for backing up personal data (MS Office files, pictures, music files, video files etc) from my personal use laptop
Published on December 8, 2007 by aakay

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad product.........but...
Published on November 1, 2007 by Laura L

4.0 out of 5 stars I am very happy with my purchase, December 8, 2007
This review is from: Seagate FreeAgent Go 80 GB USB External Hard Drive ST900803FGA1E1-RK (Personal Computers)
I am very happy with my purchase:

-- have not had any problems with power requirements for running the hard drive (it comes with a two USB wire - both of which need to be plugged into my laptop -- i have a Dell Inspiron E1405 purchased in 2006)
-- speed of backup is pretty good for my needs (earlier today, I backed up 6 GB of data in 3-5 minutes)
-- its lightweight and small.

5.0 out of 5 stars No serious problems & as cheap as a much smaller thumb drive, February 10, 2008
Clamdigger (Pahoa, Hawai'i USA) - See all my reviews
I think this gadget has gotten less favorable user reviews here than it deserves.

Mine came to me as a "closeout" special, so the fact that I paid only 40% or so of the "list price" started me off on the right foot... True, on a per-gig basis you can actually do even better with other Seagate drives... but this one's 80 Gb worked out perfectly for what I wanted to do with it, which was to transfer *reasonable* sized file sets back and forth between home and work. I value the device's wallet-sized case, its lack of a separate wall socket transformer to carry around too, and its extreme ease of use... far more than additional capacity I wouldn't really use. My little 80 gig drive doesn't even get especially warm in operation; can the bigger, faster, more power hungry outboard drives say the same?

Negatives? Well, the drive uses two USB sockets instead of one - one is for power alone and the other supplies both power and data. I try to plug each into a completely separate USB channel, but since I'm not really sure that the USB power supplies in my PCs are also split, I'm not sure that tying up two USB sockets really accomplishes anything. On my old G4 Mac at home, one of my original, otherwise unused USB 1.1 sockets works nicely for the power only source while the drive's data/power plug goes into my USB 2.0 PCI-card upgrade for the highest possible data throughput - and that works great. At work, on a PC, I have to tie up both USB 2.0 sockets at the front of my machine... but so far that hasn't been a real inconvenience.

The Seagate drive comes formatted for Windows and all of its software - about 125 Mb, which Seagate sends on drive itself - is for Windows 2K and up only. I never used any of it - just backed it up to a CD-ROM in case I need it later. The formating stayed, however: Windows at work reads and writes as you'd expect, and under Mac OSX at home (10.4.11 at least) I've had no problems reading the Windows stuff. If you want to write from a Mac, however, either extra software (for the Mac, not the Seagate) is required, or you need to reformat the whole drive - which makes it unusable to Windows. You can't blame the drive for that, though!

Anyway, bottom line: this storage device works. If you need 10 times the capacity of today's biggest 8 Gb thumb drives for about half what those same 8 Gb thumbs presently cost, this is a good solution.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad product.........but..., November 1, 2007
I was happy with the transfer of files to the drive. My problem arises when it was time to disconnect the device. You have to disconnect it safely, which ok fine, I understand and have no problem doing...but when I did this, it says "the device 'generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later". I checked the website for help. And followed their directions to shut it down to disconnect. Didn't work, same error. I called tech support. Which was attentive yes and provided a REASON as to why it wasn't letting me disconnect...that most likely my anti-virus was constantly scanning it and therefore was 'in use'.. so to avoid this I'd have to take the drive off my anti-virus ability to scan it.... which...I woudlnt think is too safe. THe tech said as long as its not vibrating or spinning its safe to just unplug. This makes me wary as there are no other indications from the device or my computer to let me know its OKAY to disconnect. I'd prefer the device to have a shut down and off button.... if they can't do that then give us a differnt type of visual (different color with the light) when its ok to disconnect it. I find this a bit disappointing with the product. Tech support was helpful, but very 'tunnel visioned' in hearing what

1.0 out of 5 stars Died on second use, March 18, 2008
alrtx (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
It was very easy to set up and wrote my 40gigs of backup in maybe 30 minutes (my computer is older). Unfortunately I can't comment on its use after that since the second time I hooked it up, it wouldn't work. The light flashes for a few, then dies and the drive isn't recognized. It was also easy to get through to customer support (the troubleshooter on the website directed me to do this). The company wants me to MAIL it back (with my entire hard drive on there) to them and frankly I am furious right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy, January 7, 2008
When I got it home I saw the stupid DUAL USB cable, by that I mean mini USB on the end that connects to the Hard Drive and 2 full sized USB connectors on the other end of the cable that apparently both have to be plugged in for the drive to show up on my iBook G4.

When only the thicker Diameter USB cable is plugged in the drive glowed Orange (thats not just colored plastic) and it "chirped" until I plugged in the second smaller diameter USB cable. The drive did not mount until I unplugged both cables and reseated them then it showed up on the desktop like I expected.

Opening the drive folder I saw tons of pre-installed crap that I assume would normally be installed from a disc fortunately a quick format to DOS got rid of that. DOS format because I intend to use this drive with my Xbox 360 for Video and Music.

After copying a single 175 meg test video file which went very quickly I plugged the drive into my 360. I used only the "Fatter" USB cable and it came up right away on my Xbox and acted as expected.

I did try using an alternate mini USB to normal USB cable that shipped with my Canon Cameras and aside from the drive lighting up and chirping it did not mount.

My only negatives about the drive thus far would be:
No on off for the glowing Orange Bar on the side of the drive.
Both USB cables have to be used to access the drive on a computer.
Angled enclosure means none of the standard iPod or pocket drives cases fit very comfortably.

Overall for $53 bucks I'm thrilled with the results and in the future I might try extracting the drive from it's Seagate shell to snap into a Dual USB/Firewire enclosure to over-come the minor negatives listed above.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, October 4, 2007
I recently got this because I have to work with a Desktop in my home office and a laptop on the road. I'd hate to be caught without the documentation I need. This serves 2 purposes. It makes my data portable and it makes it more secure. The drive is password protected and when I turn the pc off I can lock this up in a drawer. The software it comes with and the add-ons work great. This has worked out really well for me. Note: It uses 2 USB ports. I ended up buying the Micro Innovation PCMCIA 4 Port USB adaptor for $36.00 from Amazon because I needed the extra ports on my laptop. That works great too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you have an adequate power source, February 3, 2008
After several years of searching, I've finally acquired a genuinely portable (not much bigger than my wallet), reasonably large-capacity USB external hard drive for my laptop. I already have a 250GB FreeAgent external HD for my new main system (purchased in August) which has given good service, so when I had the opportunity to buy a FreeAgent Go at a good price, I took it. I haven't used it that much so far, but overall I'm satisfied. The drive connects very easily to the USB ports on my Thinkpad T30 and my main system, almost as easily as a flash drive, and has, at 80GB, forty times the capacity of my biggest flash drive.

The downside is that the FreeAgent Go has no power source (read: AC adapter), so you need to power the unit through your desktop or laptop system. In my case, this raised a wrinkle because my Thinkpad T30 has no integrated USB 2.0, only USB 1.1, so that plugging the drive into the laptop's existing USB ports will cause the drive to run at USB 1.1 speed - which is to say, painfully slowly. I had to buy a USB 2.0 PC Card with power adapter in order to be able to properly use the FreeAgent Go.

Moral: make sure you have adequate power for this drive - or any external HD or other device you intend to add on to your laptop kit - and you're good to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars No documentation..., December 28, 2007
Drive is not the 'no brainer' storage drive I thought it would be. My fault, probably. BUT there is absolutely NO real installation manual to help or troubleshoot with. I was lead to believe it would work as easy as a usb thumb drive, so far not the case. Ceedo software may be my problem?? I too have the disconnect error problem. Annoying authorization popup issues with VISTA. All I wanted to do was store years of pictures safely. BTW the help forum at Seagate website was mostly a list of problems... not many solutions. I emailed tech support... so far no reply. Maybe I'm generous in giving 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, May 19, 2011
This product might not be selling any more, but it's great. It's reliable, light and small, plug and play. Everything you would want in an external disk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product for the price paid, May 18, 2008
H. SINGH (Columbia, MD) - See all my reviews
I bought this couple of weeks ago, and I have liked it so far. It hasn't given me any problem. The use and downloading files in the hard drive was easy. Overall, a good product and I recommend it.

ARRAY(0xa9e14c9c)