4.0 out of 5 stars 4TB Sleek, Fast, & Easy
Published on September 23, 2011 by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Works in Windows Explorer after Converting to GPT
Published on December 23, 2011 by Chuck

4.0 out of 5 stars 4TB Sleek, Fast, & Easy, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 4 TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive STAC4000100 (Personal Computers)
I purchased the 4TB Seagate GoFlex Desk external drive with the intent of consolidating all my media files onto a single central drive. Straight out of the box, impressions were good. The newer generation drive offers a sleeker high gloss alternative to the previous Seagate Desk models. The drive comes equipped with a USB 3.0 base dock, which features five white LEDs on the front to illustrate power as well as indicate the capacity used on the drive in 25% increments. In addition, it also comes with the AC power adapter and a 4 foot USB 3.0 cord, which is significantly more convenient than the 1 1/2 foot cords that were supplied with my 1TB Seagate GoFlex Ultra Portable Drives.

Right out of the box I plugged in to my Windows 7 laptop, had the drivers automatically installed, and was off and running in about 30 seconds. Simple enough. Actual available space on the drive (due to conversion) is about 3.63 TB, which was an expected reduction.. but is worth noting for those who aren't aware there will be less memory actually available than what is advertised.

An initial letdown was the noise. The drive emits a low frequency hum when powered, as well as airflow noise from the vent holes on the top of the enclosure. Overall, the sound is somewhat noticeable, but not loud. Nothing I'd really complain about.. I think I'm just spoiled by my virtually silent USB powered portable drives. Also, one thing you don't want to do is tilt this thing on its side or move it around haphazardly while transferring data - you'll get a kind of faint and unnerving buzz-saw sound if you tilt it at an angle or jostle it roughly. Best to leave it stationary or keep it straight up and down when moving the drive while it's running.. learned that the hard way.

I did run diagnostics to determine the read/write speed of the drive, but since I only have a USB 2.0 motherboard in my laptop, my personal results are not at all accurate to the true capabilities of this drive. However, I have read reviews of users with USB 3.0 technology benchmarking the drive at approximately 190MB/s read and 160MB/s write speeds. When I gain access to a USB 3.0 PC, I'll run the tests and update with personal results.

Additional details from the diagnostic show the GoFlex Desk houses a SATA III 6Gbps 7200RPM 3.5" hard drive with 5 platters (800GB each). Temperature is around 47°C on idle startup. After 8 hours of running transfer, temperature maxed at 55°C. Pretty happy with the drive thus far - will update with any encountered problems over the next few weeks.

UPDATE June 15, 2012 - I've owned this drive for over 9 months now with virtually no problems to speak of. The drive is always running with excessive daily use for the past nine months. No data corruption or failed transfers have occurred thus far. After filling the drive to capacity with various media, playback has been flawlessly smooth, especially when viewing full 1080p BluRay rips. Unfortunately, I've knocked it over hard a handful of times (it's inevitable), but no apparent damage has been done whatsoever.

Overall, it appears Seagate has surprisingly released a solid and reliable 4TB drive on their first attempt. I was wary at first to spend the $220 to essentially beta test a new product, but now I'm happy that I did, as I look forward to purchasing more. I've noticed these have been generally out of stock this year, most likely due to the aftermath of the flood fiasco in Thailand, but it appears they will be readily available again here in the latter half of this year. I intend to purchase a couple more, strip out the drives, and drop them in a NAS enclosure.

Also, please note the respective 190MB/S & 160MB/S read write speeds stated above are theoretical peak benchmark speeds, not taking into account bottlenecking and real world transfer. You should expect to get about half these speeds on a consistent basis. About ~95MB/S Read ~85MB/S Write using USB 3.0 . Will update again if the drive ever dies or encounters problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive with One Understandable Flaw, November 22, 2011
Because of some early negative reviews from Amazon users, and what I'm pretty sure is a computer rendering of the product instead of a photograph, I was initially a little reluctant about this drive. But I've had a lot of very good experiences with Seagate, so I bought it. I'm glad I did.

The build quality is nice. The enclosure is actually really slick. I do prefer the look of a thin, USB powered, 2.5" external, but in the world of 3.5" drives this is total design win.

It performs about as expected, if not better. I'm currently still using USB 2.0, but the initial burst on this thing is crazy high, and it (very) gradually slows down to my typical transfer rate. This is more true with a single large file than many small files. But its overall performance has me really excited about installing a USB 3.0 card in my system.

The Bad? Well, I bought this to be a media drive, and it "sleeps" after a relatively short period of inactivity. I want my media to be accessible all the time without waiting for the disc to fire up. Starting and stopping the drive as often as I need it to could be annoying. After changing some system settings and installing some software from the Seagate website, I disabled its auto-sleep. Now everything works as it should.

However, if you're using this disc as a back up drive, the disc sleeping is actually a very good thing. It will conserve energy and likely prolong the life of your drive. So for those people, this is a 5 star product.

If I could give it 4.5 stars, I would. It performs well, looks great, stays quiet and reasonably cool. There's just that one correctable hiccup that will only upset some users.

Definitely recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works in Windows Explorer after Converting to GPT, December 23, 2011
This drive uses 4KB sectors due to it being over 2TB. 512 bytes has been the standard. Long story short, Windows doesn't like the way the drive is formatted. Windows recognizes it and can view files on the drive, but USB transfers, especially large ones, using Windows Explorer hang partway through and never complete. Transfers seemed to be working fine if I used the software included with the drive, but I did not want something running in the background constantly. I just wanted more storage space to copy files onto manually.

If you want to use this with Windows Explorer, you'll need to convert the drive to GPT (GUID Partition Table). The Seagate software did not recognize the drive after I did this, but I was fine with that.

In windows 7, you can convert your drive by going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Find the correct drive, delete all volumes on that drive. Right click on the drive and select "Convert to GPT." Then, create a new partition.

The drive itself now seems to be working perfectly. Seagate should at the very least provide instructions on how to get this to work in Windows. They could have also provided a small utility to convert the drive. I should have not had to spend nearly as long as I did trying to figure out what was wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to format it to work on my iMac, October 12, 2011
Out of the box, this drive comes formatted for windows. I had to format it using disk utility on my Mac (which took about 5 minutes). Contrary to other reviews posted, this is not a big deal. It works with Mac OS X just fine. I could not find any written literature either on the box or in the instructions stating the speed of the drive. After running diagnostic tests, this drive appears to be spinning at 7200 rpm and has 64 mb cache consistent with other reviews. The drive uses 5 platters, 800 gb each. It runs quietly and has a great sleek design. The price is great too. When I bought mine, I paid $220 ($55/terabyte) for it. In the past week, the price dropped to $198 (less than $50/terabyte!! I would highly recommend this drive to anyone looking for a large capacity backup storage drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good.., December 9, 2011
I have the 3TB drive. It works with my Mac and PC. Not sure what problem other Mac users are having with this. Funny thing is the drive worked with my Mac, but didn't work with my PC. Continue reading to know what the problem was.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro which only has USB 2.0 ports. My PC also only has USB 2.0 ports. I don't use this drive for automatic backups. I only use it to store files.

The problem I had was that my PC wouldn't detect the drive, but my Mac would. So after 4 hours I figured out the problem. You have to connect the USB cable to the PC before you power the drive. So connect the USB first and then connect the power to the drive. If you power the drive before connecting to the PC, the drive doesn't detect a USB connection and just turns off (or goes to sleep). I tried this with 2 PCs and it was the same. Not sure how the Mac was able to wake up the drive.

After I got it working with my PC, I installed the Seagate utility and turned OFF the sleep option. I think this should fix the problem with some of the Mac users using this drive for Time Machine backups. I turned sleep mode off because I was going to do a full format and didn't want anything to happen.

VERY IMPORTANT: This applies to all hardrives. When you first buy a HDD you should do a FULL FORMAT or do CHECKDISK to scan for bad sectors. When you do a quick format it formats the drive in like 5 seconds, but it only deletes the files and sets up the file system. When you do a FULL FORMAT it will delete the files and do a surface test to make sure there are no bad sectors in the drive. You can also do CHECKDISK with the SURFACE SCAN option if you don't want to format your drive. If you find bad sectors then you can return the drive and get a new one. But if you do QUICK FORMAT you may not know there are bad sectors until it is too late to return it or it is out of warranty. You only need to do this once. After you have done it you can do quick format later on if you need to re-format the drive. I'm surprised no one here has mentioned doing a full format or doing a checkdisk.

WARNING: Doing a full format or checkdisk will take a LONG time. This 3TB over USB 2.0 took about 36 hours! If you have USB 3.0 it will be much faster. Also FireWire or direct SATA connection will be faster. But still it will take several hours to do it. It takes time but it is worth it.

I've had this drive for 1 week now. I own many Western Digital drives and another Seagate drive. I haven't had a problem with any.

Remember, whenever you get a new drive do a FULL FORMAT or CHECKDISK to make sure there are no bad sectors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not just a problem for Macs - Windows 7 also doesn't work, December 17, 2011
Bruce B. Janz (Casselberry, FL United States) - See all my reviews
If the intention is to use this drive as a backup for a Windows 7 machine, you will be disappointed. You won't be able to create a system image or backup using Windows 7, because the sector size is too large. Western Digital has a fix for their large drives, but Seagate doesn't. Error code is 0x8078002A. Seagate's solution is to change the file table to GUID, which is compatible with Windows 7 and Vista, but not XP. All this should be made clearer by the manufacturer, since this is a common use of these large drives.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with 64 bit Windows 7 "System Image" or File Explorer, October 20, 2011
The reason I bought was to backup the image of my boot drive (64 bit Windows 7). However, those utilities hang up because they use NTFS 512 byte logical sector and this device only supports 4K byte physical/logical sectors. It doesn't even emulate 512 byte sector (512e) which is supported by Microsoft. I tried to format it with Windows 7 tools, but despite apparent success, it always hangs up the Windows after about 5 minutes -- very frustrating. Both Seagate and Microsoft don't appear to come up with any agreement. For Windows 7, I don't recommend it unless you plan to backup with the integrated "Seagate Dashboard" software. Works fine with LINUX without hangups, even Windows 7 32 bit notebook machine was fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great internal drive!, November 25, 2011
Inside is a Seagate Barracuda XT 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST33000651AS. I bought this and ripped it apart for the internal drive. Save a couple hundred dollars!Seagate Barracuda XT 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST33000651AS

1.0 out of 5 stars Drive becomes unacessable after 2 months, February 27, 2012
After 2 months I bought this drive, I have to hold the usb cable at certain angle at the drive connector in order for the computer to access the drive. I was able to get 80% of the data out before the connection got worse and now it's completely unacessable. I emailed seagate regarding data recovery and they informed that data recovery is not covered under the warranty with this particular drive. I feel like being trapped.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly ventilated - runs way too hot, January 20, 2012
The drive is mostly sealed up in its plastic case, with only small ventilation slots. So - and this will no doubt come as a stunner to the responsible Seagate engineers - it gets HOT.

Mounted in the vertical position shown, on a hard desktop, at 25 deg C ambient (77 deg F) the drive's SMART temperature is reported as 63 deg C under use.

The Seagate knowledgebase says that even their newest drives should not be allowed to exceed 60 deg C (50 deg C for older drives!). This, again, is a maxiumum - not what you are supposed to do for best lifetime, data reliability etc etc. For that the drive should obviously be at or below 50 deg C.

So as designed the drive will under normal circumstances operate beyond its ratings, which probably voids the warranty as well. The vent holes should be at least three times bigger, and there should be some on the side of the enclosure that is not protecting bare electronics.

How a company can build such an amazing piece of technology and then screw up the plastic box it comes in is beyond me.

Rate and Discover Movies