5.0 out of 5 stars Great Portable HD
I was not going to write a review for this product initially. However, I received an email from Amazon advertising this product, along with the other GoFlex drives from Seagate and I saw that this component received a one star rating. After reading the one-star rating, I can tell you all emphatically that the rating is NOT deserved.

First off, the initial...
Published on June 30, 2010 by Ian Monteilh

3.0 out of 5 stars Very small and stylish drive
This drive works great with my pc desktop and my new 2010 macbook pro with no need to mess around with format, it just works right out of the box with the included software.

Published on July 5, 2010 by Phantom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Portable HD, June 30, 2010

First off, the initial customer review information about the dock station is inaccurate, way inaccurate. The HD comes with a dock station (with its own wiring) AND a separate portable connection cable, which truly makes it portable since you can have it set to connect to multiple pcs without breaking down a dockstation connection.

Second the USB 2.0 connection is false since both the dock station and connection cable attach to a pc via USB. Now, neither of the connection cables connect to the HD itself via USB, but thats becuz its connects using SATA type connections you would see on the back of an internal hard drive.

The installation software is built into the HD, so when you connect for the first time to a pc, it prompts you to install the drivers. The software is very easy to manage and pretty much begs you back up your files, although escaping that prompt is so easy, its almost amusing.

The best part of the HD is that its not bulky in the least. I am a lifetime Seagate supporter due to my undying love for Maxtor and the fact that Seagate bought them and for a long while, I have been shopping for portable external drives to use with my hp netbook. This HD is the smallest (although in fairness, its not ipod small) I've seen and fits comfortably in my carrying case.

I cant say that this protable HD is the end-all device becuz honestly, I wont ever compare it to anything else other than what eventually becomes its successor in my household. But, I can say that I am uber happy with this purchase and unless youre an eternal hater of the brand or youre looking for something with the device that you already know it doesnt have when you buy it, you will be happy with your purchase as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall good, a little disappointing, August 7, 2010
The drive is wonderfully compact and very sharp-looking. I read many reviews before I purchased the drive, so I pretty much got what I expected. I bought the GoFlex Pro that comes with the external docking unit. When I'm home the drive is sitting in the docking unit and takes up very little room. The biggest disappointment was the absolutely horrible backup software provided. I recommend not installing it. I installed it (despite the warning from others) and I finallly uninstalled it after a week of frustrations with it. The software has very few user-definable options and all of the various pop-up messages are very annoying. I was relieved to get it off the drive and off my desktop machine. Backup speed is about what you would expect for USB 2.0. I was hoping it would be a bit faster since it is a 7200 RPM drive, but it takes about an hour to backup 100 GB using the USB 2.0 interface (both the external docking unit and the default supplied cable are USB 2.0). I put a 2-port add-in USB 3.0 controller in my desktop machine and plugged both USB plugs from the docking unit (that's another disappointment ... it takes 2 USB slots for the external docking unit.) Using the USB 2.0 docking station with the USB 3.0 controller allows me to copy/backup 100 GB in about 40 minutes instead of 1 hour, so about a 33% decrease in time. I think the next thing I'm going to do is purchase a four port USB 3.0 hub and plug it into one of the 2 slots on the host controller card, and purchase the optional USB 3.0 GoFlex interface cable and just ditch the external docking unit. As far as my backup, I'm using the latest version of Norton Ghost and it's set to do an incremental backup once a day ... and that works beautifully.

If I were going to do this all over again, here are the things I would do differently:

1) Save money by not purchasing the PRO version because the docking unit is USB 2.0. Maybe they will have a 3.0 version before long.
2) DEFINITELY NOT install the supplied backup software. If you don't have other backup software, just do a regular copy using your operating system's copy capabilities from one drive to another ... or get a decent backup package such as Norton or even freeware
3) I would purchase the USB 3.0 cable (of course, you need a 3.0 host controller to take full advantage of the speed benefit.) You can plug the USB 2.0 cable from the external docking unit or the supplied default USB 2.0 cable but it won't be able to take full advantage of the speed benefit of USB 3.0

Overall, I'm happy with the drive and would recommend the purchase to anybody, but with the above tips.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very small and stylish drive, July 5, 2010

I use this drive as a synced drive ot take my documents, music, and movies on the road with me. I take my macbook with me and the integration between the 2 different computers is seamless. I even have it set up as a shared network drive at home when attached to the pc and my macbook can access the files over the network which is pretty cool.

The main reason I got this drive over some others out there is because it boasts of mac and pc functionality without having to reformat, which it does, and it also has the option to upgrade to firewire and USB 3.0 which I know I'll want. Like the last reviewer said, the first reviewer is inaccurate. This drive comes with the dock and the portable usb adapter. With the adapter attached it looks like one piece which I like. The USB 2.0 could be faster in my opinion. If you transfer directly it seems to take longer than some of the other desktop drives I've used but I guess that's the trade off with such a highly portable drive. Seems to transfer faster on my mac than my pc. Hoping to get USB 3.0 on my desktop and see what that does in the future.

If you use it as a synced drive to backup files or take them on the go then you hardly notice the software running in the background. It seems to pick the right moments to sync and doesn't interfere with other tasks. It has a lot of software included but I chose to only use the sync application on my pc and did not install the rest and only let it install the drivers on my mac and no software. Pretty simple to do and the drive didn't put up a fuss when I deselected some of the other included software.

Overall very happy about the size, style, and functionality of the drive and would get it again.

I knocked one star off for no APO shipping option. I had to get this from tigerdirect which has absolutely no problem shipping small electronics to APO's unlike amazon.

** UPDATE ** Now 3 star
The memeo software started to become a huge pain. I take back what I said about it picking the right moments. Seemed to start running all the time for no reason. Also, it was taking up twice as much space on the drive than it needed. I had 180GB of stuff in the folder it was set to back up but only showed approx 140GB remaining on a 500GB drive (so 180GB was taking up 360... really annoying). I reformatted and tried again several times and every time it took twice as much space on the drive as needed. My mac and any other computer registered the same amount of storage left as well. So I've abandoned the continuous backup and am just going to do it once a month now manually. For that purpose it works fine and still is seamless between my mac and pc which is more than you can say of a lot of drives. However, another gripe, read write speeds are no where near advertised. Seems that the USB hard drive manufacturers need to rethink their marketing strategy. They advertise the theoretical max of the technology, USB 2.0, 3.0, eSATA... etc. However, the drive speeds, software limitations all limited that to a fraction of the theoretical max. The pro model gives you about a 1 min 0 sec transfer (to the hard drive) of a 1 GB file vs the non-pro of about 1 min 8 sec. I wouldn't call that 40% faster, would you? and neither is no where near 480 mb/s. I wouldn't and did not expect that but I can see a lot of consumers, like my parents generation, being taken in by false claims like that. Pretty dishonest if you ask me.

3.0 out of 5 stars PC & MAC Users Beware, July 22, 2010
The Seagate Drive itself is sleek. The docking station and the USB cords are easy to use--it really is plug and play. I purchased this product to be able to move large files between a PC and my Imac G5. Despite the fact that my Mac meets all the system requirements, the Drive, when first formatted for NTFS Windows, does not appear on the Mac desktop when plugged into the USB port--it won't mount. The problem is the Paragon NTFS software included with the Seagate. It's supposed to allow OSX to read Windows formatted file partitions. In fact, the manual that comes with the Paragon NTFS software (which is included on the Seagate drive) says: " Complete support of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, and 10.6 Snow Leopard." And it also says, "PowerPC G5 has not yet been tested for compatibility, but our driver is most likely to work flawlessly on it." Obviously both of these are untrue. I spent three weeks working with the Paragon support people in order for them to finally tell me that the G5 is not supported. In the end, they could not support Tiger 10.4.11, and the Paragaon NTFS software does not work flawlessly on a G5.

This drive would have no difficulty working only on my PC--as a backup Drive or as a portable drive between PCs. And, probably, it would work well just on my Mac--I have not tried to format it as a backup drive for my Mac, although I suspect the included software would work fine. And it may work fine moving between a PC and OSX Leopard or Snow Leopard. The Paragon NTFS software simply does not work on an Imac G5. If you are a G5 user and intend to work between a PC and Mac, you'll have to purchase additional software to allow your Mac to read the NTFS formatted drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful about the part number - bare drives also exist, July 14, 2010
Maybe Amazon had a warehouse mix-up for the one star review person's order. Note that the STAD500400 is a bare drive without the dock or USB 2.0 cable, from what I can figure out about the product, while the STAD500100 comes with the dock and USB 2.0 cable. Same for the 750GB. STAD750400 is the bare drive. STAD750100 is the drive plus dock and cable.

Last I looked the Seagate website for the product was only listing the bare drive model number, the 400s. Only the distributors listed the model numbers with the dock and cable, the 100's. I guess things are moving so fast with the product that things are still a bit mixed up on the marketing end. :)

As proof of that do a Google search for STAD500400, the bare 500GB drive. One vendor (who also sells on Amazon Marketplace) currently (I just did the search before typing this) has a product description that correctly includes the words "drive only", since its a bare drive, but then shows a picture of the drive sitting in the dock. :)

The one-star poster is probably right in that some ordering part-number caution is advised.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT 7200 RPM Portable drive, August 17, 2010
KOZ "Apple Fan" (Jackson, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I bought this to back up a Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit computer I use for my business and found it to work awesome. I also purchased the eSATA cable to go with this drive and it works just as well. It's almost impossible to find a 7200 RPM External portable hard drive on the market these days. This drive has so many options to be able to use on all your digital files, like the networking hook-up and the TV hook-up. Most drives of this sizes only have a USB 2.0 hook up and can really only be used for back-up, NOT this one. I will end up buying another one of these drives since they are SWEET.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok drive...so far, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro 750 GB USB 2.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive STAD750100 (Personal Computers)
I just got the drive today, so this is my first day impressions.

1) The dock it comes with needs to be plugged into two (2) usb ports. I have never seen this, nor do I understand it, maybe it needs more power? I read somewhere the second one is just for the lights, but I dont feel that justifies taking 2 usb ports up on your computer when the standalone adapter is just a single USB. Not too annoying but odd.

2) It looks nice, simple, small.

3) Performance for me was in the neighborhood of 7-10 MB/s on small files and 20-35MB/s (caped out) for large movies.

Now this I feel for a 7200 RPM drive is a bit slow. My reasoning? Check out the below reviews.

BusinessWeek: Say the 500gb version is top notch on its speed tests compared to other drive.
[...]

TomsHardwareGuide: If falls in almost last on all its write tests and pretty close to average read tests.
[...]

Now who do I trust more, BusinessWeek or Toms Hardware...hmmmm

So my conclusion is this drive is ok, its write speeds for what ever reason are slow, but since I am using this as NTFS formated on a Mac, it could be the NTFS driver(which is third party as macs cant write to NTFS) or it could be USB 2.0 bottleneck.

I plan to get the Network storage for this drive and hope the drive gets faster.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick and small, but...not so fast, August 30, 2010
I bought this after returning the non-Pro version thinking that a 7200rpm drive would be faster. Well, I am on day 3 (work day) of my initial backup of close to 50gb and it's still not done. Granted they tell you up front that the initial back-up will take the longest, but I didn't expect it to be this long. I'm hoping that future syncs will be quicker.

Saying this though, I do like the drive; and once I got used to the backup software, it's ok too. Be careful not to use the online backup if you have more than 1gb, otherwise you will be buying storage. I inadvertently hit online backup and now I can't get rid of the alert that tells me I am out of room.

I love the dock as well. I leave it on my desk at work and just plug this lil puppy in and it does it's thing. What I don't like is the connector. Sure, the drive is USB, however the connector is very proprietary and bigger than I would like it to be.

Would I buy this again? Sure. In the end though, I don't trust any of these devices and end up backing up my backups.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Portable Hard Drive, September 3, 2010
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro 500 GB is the perfect portable hard drive for those of us who like the plug and play method of saving important documents and other files. It works very well with Windows 7 as well as Windows XP and once it is installed, you can just forget about it. If you do have any problems, Seagate gives free and friendly tech support for the first 30 days. (Drive must be registered) I am very pleased with this product, I have backed up three PC's and it easily moves from one to another using separate back up plans for each one. For the piece of mind it gives, it is well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped my transition from PC to MAC, December 30, 2010
I've had PC's forever but have recently switched to MAC. I've also used Seagate/Maxtor products for the past 15 years (love them already) so this was naturally the first place for me to start. This product allowed me to use my PC & MAC (specific setting - note that these settings do not let you use the Memeo backup software) while using this same Ext. HDD. I unplug it from my PC and plug it right into my MAC without having to reformat and can use all the same files. (NOTE: Other manufacturers (not necessarily all of them but the ones I have seen) will say their hard drives are MAC & PC compatible but you'll find it's an "either or" scenario. You won't be able to switch back and forth without reformatting.) The Seagate really works great...seamless. Seagate Customer Svc was excellent as well. They helped me get it set up to use as I needed between my computers. Then when I was finished with all the transfers I wanted to do, I called them back and they helped me reset/reformat the HDD so that it is now set on only MAC format. Now I can use the MAC backup (Time Machine) or Seagate backup (Memeo) to automatically do all my backups...now I don't have to worry about anything. Highly recommend this product. Also, very compact!!

Last note: You have 30 days Courtesy Cust. Svc. from purchase, so make sure you take advantage of that on what you need. After that, they will charge you per service.

Hope it helps!