Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on June 30, 2010
I was not going to write a review for this product initially. However, I received an email from Amazon advertising this product, along with the other GoFlex drives from Seagate and I saw that this component received a one star rating. After reading the one-star rating, I can tell you all emphatically that the rating is NOT deserved.

First off, the initial customer review information about the dock station is inaccurate, way inaccurate. The HD comes with a dock station (with its own wiring) AND a separate portable connection cable, which truly makes it portable since you can have it set to connect to multiple pcs without breaking down a dockstation connection.

Second the USB 2.0 connection is false since both the dock station and connection cable attach to a pc via USB. Now, neither of the connection cables connect to the HD itself via USB, but thats becuz its connects using SATA type connections you would see on the back of an internal hard drive.

The installation software is built into the HD, so when you connect for the first time to a pc, it prompts you to install the drivers. The software is very easy to manage and pretty much begs you back up your files, although escaping that prompt is so easy, its almost amusing.

The best part of the HD is that its not bulky in the least. I am a lifetime Seagate supporter due to my undying love for Maxtor and the fact that Seagate bought them and for a long while, I have been shopping for portable external drives to use with my hp netbook. This HD is the smallest (although in fairness, its not ipod small) I've seen and fits comfortably in my carrying case.

I cant say that this protable HD is the end-all device becuz honestly, I wont ever compare it to anything else other than what eventually becomes its successor in my household. But, I can say that I am uber happy with this purchase and unless youre an eternal hater of the brand or youre looking for something with the device that you already know it doesnt have when you buy it, you will be happy with your purchase as well.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 15, 2010
Maybe Amazon had a warehouse mix-up for the one star review person's order. Note that the STAD500400 is a bare drive without the dock or USB 2.0 cable, from what I can figure out about the product, while the STAD500100 comes with the dock and USB 2.0 cable. Same for the 750GB. STAD750400 is the bare drive. STAD750100 is the drive plus dock and cable.

Last I looked the Seagate website for the product was only listing the bare drive model number, the 400s. Only the distributors listed the model numbers with the dock and cable, the 100's. I guess things are moving so fast with the product that things are still a bit mixed up on the marketing end. :)

As proof of that do a Google search for STAD500400, the bare 500GB drive. One vendor (who also sells on Amazon Marketplace) currently (I just did the search before typing this) has a product description that correctly includes the words "drive only", since its a bare drive, but then shows a picture of the drive sitting in the dock. :)

The one-star poster is probably right in that some ordering part-number caution is advised.
on August 17, 2010
I bought this to back up a Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit computer I use for my business and found it to work awesome. I also purchased the eSATA cable to go with this drive and it works just as well. It's almost impossible to find a 7200 RPM External portable hard drive on the market these days. This drive has so many options to be able to use on all your digital files, like the networking hook-up and the TV hook-up. Most drives of this sizes only have a USB 2.0 hook up and can really only be used for back-up, NOT this one. I will end up buying another one of these drives since they are SWEET.
on December 30, 2010
I've had PC's forever but have recently switched to MAC. I've also used Seagate/Maxtor products for the past 15 years (love them already) so this was naturally the first place for me to start. This product allowed me to use my PC & MAC (specific setting - note that these settings do not let you use the Memeo backup software) while using this same Ext. HDD. I unplug it from my PC and plug it right into my MAC without having to reformat and can use all the same files. (NOTE: Other manufacturers (not necessarily all of them but the ones I have seen) will say their hard drives are MAC & PC compatible but you'll find it's an "either or" scenario. You won't be able to switch back and forth without reformatting.) The Seagate really works great...seamless. Seagate Customer Svc was excellent as well. They helped me get it set up to use as I needed between my computers. Then when I was finished with all the transfers I wanted to do, I called them back and they helped me reset/reformat the HDD so that it is now set on only MAC format. Now I can use the MAC backup (Time Machine) or Seagate backup (Memeo) to automatically do all my backups...now I don't have to worry about anything. Highly recommend this product. Also, very compact!!

Last note: You have 30 days Courtesy Cust. Svc. from purchase, so make sure you take advantage of that on what you need. After that, they will charge you per service.

Hope it helps!
Tom
on February 26, 2011
I purchased the GoFlex Pro so that I could back up the documents, music and photos from my personal laptop. I was looking for a product that was easy to use and easy to store; this external hard drive has proved perfect for the task.

When you first plug in the device, it prompts you through a series of windows to install the software. The program is contained on the hard drive itself, so there's no risk of misplacing installation disks. It's easy to backup your entire hard drive, and a fairly quick process as well. While the GoFlex is running, its lights are on. Once the backup is complete, a summary will pop up, telling you how many files were backed up (or which files failed).

This product is intuitive and fast- definitely better than other external hard drives I've used. Its profile is also quite sleek, making it easy to store or transport. The GoFlex Pro is easy enough for your grandma to use, and slick enough for a tech geek to enjoy.
on December 30, 2010
Fast HDD. In my opinion, this is the best hard drive you can by for your money. It has a 32 MB Cache with 7200 rpm spindle speed...FAST! It does NOT have a power supply so it is extremely portable. I could not find a comparable hard drive. I would have liked to found a 64 MB Cache external but as of right now you have to build your own with an enclosure. I think the only HDD with 64 MB cache is 3.5", so it is gonna be a bigger drive as well.

Definitely get the E-Sata adapter cable and or the USB 3.0 adapter cable. E-sata is so fast!!! I havent tried the USB 3.0 yet but I am sure it faster since it is rated faster than E-sata.

This came with a USB 2.0 dock as well as a USB 2.0 portable adapter cable so you can stow it easily while on the go.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2010
I did a LOT of research before buying this external hard drive (cNet, Amazon.com, etc.). The majority of people raved about this. So far it's been working great. While researching reviews, I noticed that the majority of people did NOT recommend Western Digital external hard drives. I have (had) one before I bought this one. Thank goodness I bought the Seagate and backed up the WD, because sure enough, the WD failed about 2 weeks later. Maybe it was jealous?
on April 26, 2011
This Seagate hard-rive STAD750100 is really cool and worth the money. I bought a 750 GB hard-drive for 105$ and satisfied with the product.

Here are the some features which I found to be good.

1. The hard drive is small and comes with an intelligent dock (that you can leave on your desk) and has another USB 2.0 cable which is pretty cool as well.
2. Both the dock and cable can be upgraded to 3.0, without the need to buy 2.0 dock and cable. Some retailers do offer this option (not available on Amazon though).
3. The MEMEO premium back-up software is good (in my opinion). The first time when I backed up 27 GB of data, it took me approximately 3 hours (was very unsatisfied). Thought of giving it a try by using few more days. And it has been a pleasure, the software automatically detects the file and backs up in seconds. Don'y know why it took so long for the first time.
4. The dock and the 2.0 cable has a light button to indicate that its connected (although trivial, still useful).

Thanks a Seagate!
on March 24, 2011
I use the GoFlex to work on the same files at two different locations. Tax return files get synced so I always have the latest version with me.
I felt a bit ripped off to learn that the sync software was only a trial version, but after the 30-day free period I had found a discount code for another $10 off (thank you retailmenot DOT com). The device does not come with a case or a wallet, but I found something that fits.
The thing functions like a very high capacity USB drive, but the best thing IMO is how well the Memeo Sync software works. I had previously used MicroSoft Briefcase on a thumb drive. That was WRETCHED the way it would lock up and crash.
on February 13, 2011
Incredible portable drive !!!

The perfect portable drive for anyone. I just want to buy other 2 in the near future especially when Seagate offers the 1 TB and 2 TB models.

Very recommended.

Too Fast. To Quiet. Normal temperature. Self-powered. Options for USB 2, USB 3, Firewire 800 and e-SATA. Pocket size.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations