Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seagate GoFlex Desk Thunderbolt Adapter (STAE122)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

I have been waiting for this type of device for quite some time. Here are the main reasons you should consider buying this:

1. Most Macs have only ONE Thunderbolt port, so if you use that port for an external monitor... you NEED this, to connect both at the same time.

2. If you like to record video from Firewire to external drives, you'll discover that in order to do this, you have to use either Thunderbolt or USB for the external drive. USB is too slow, and you are tying up your FireWire port with your camera... so you have no other choice but to use a Thunderbolt drive.... like this one, or the portable version, which costs a bit less, but has no daisy chain support.

3. I also have the 2.5 inch version of this, but since it's bus powered, there is no daisy chain support... so you can't have two drives, or as I mentioned above, an external monitor.

4. This is a big one... Just like the 2.5 inch version, this adapter works with ANY SATA DRIVE. So, you can use ANY off-the-shelf drive and make it Thunderbolt compatible. I have tested this with Samsung, WD, Hitachi, Patriot Warp SSD and of course Seagate drives and they work perfectly... and the performance is just about as fast as my internal drive. The ability to use SSD drives is a great option for those looking to do disk intensive tasks such as video editing. As far as I know, there are no mainstream dedicated Thunderbolt SSD drives on the market. This makes it possible. Just pick up something like an OCZ Vertex. Ironically, the one drive I could not use was the Seagate GoFlex portable drives, because they are in a plastic case that intentionally doesn't fit. In my case, that's not an issue, because I have all 3 portable adapters (Thunderbolt, USB 3.0, FireWire 800).

5. Price. Yes, $189 is a bit expensive for an adapter, considering that the FireWire 800 and USB 3.0 adapters are under $50, but dedicated Thunderbolt drives are expensive and they are not expandable. So, if you like to organize your data by project onto multiple drives, this is the best way to do it. You just keep the adapter on your desk swap out inexpensive drives whenever you want.
on July 30, 2012
Been through two of these. Tried it with a MacBook Air Mid-2011 and a Retina MacBook Pro. Tried it with Mac OS X Lion and Mountain Lion. In every case, with both computers, with both instances of the Thunderbolt Adapter, the computer freezes hard after about a minute. Must hard reboot to get control back. Apple support says "Talk to Seagate". Seagate support says "Talk to Apple." I give up. Both have been returned. I would love to hear from someone that has seen this problem and knows of a workaround or fix. At this point, I cannot recommend this product as neither Apple nor Seagate will support it.
1010 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2012
THis is the FASTEST external drive I have ever used! I stream video and music at home and it usually hangs several times during playback. Not anymore. THis is EXPENSIVE, but Faster than Hectors pup grabbing a cheese sandwich off the kitchen counter, (This means FAST) DId I mention that it's expensive! It is AND the cable cost's about 1/3 the price of the adapter itself. All together the adapter and cable cost was almost twice the price of my new 3 Terabyte Seagate drive itself. Did I mention that it's FAST? I am glad I got the one with the extra connector built in so I can daisy chain it (when I get my Back Pension) and get another 50 dollar 1meter cable. It's like 70 something for a 3 meter one. Did I mention that you can daisy chain these things to a Monitor, Hard Drive or anything else that has the "Thunderbolt connector? All in all it's SCREAMING FAST! I wish the price weren't so dear, but there ya go. It IS made for a MAC ya know and they are worse that SONY USED to be back in the olden days with their proprietary hardware. If you have enough money to buy a network server then I say But one of these external drives for your MAC. Why not, it's only Money.
on July 23, 2012
As this unit is not available in Australia it took a long time to source the Thunderbolt adapter. In order to get the best out of my 27" iMac i5, I decided some time ago to get a Thunderbolt HD, but found the cost of the Thunderbolt drives available to be far to expensive for me. After receiving the adapter from amazon and the purchase of the Thunderbolt cable I also decided to invest in a SSD. The combination of the Thunderbolt adapter plus the SSD gave me performance I could only describe as awesome. Im using the SSD and the adapter as a external startup drive, my internal drive is used for my data. I have had no issues at all. I'm a very "happy chappy" thanks to the Seagate Thunderbolt adapter combined with the SSD. Now, if the SSD manufacturers could hurry up and reduce the cost and increase the size so that everything can be contained on the SSD, I would be as happy as a "pig in poo". I have several SATA drives without enclosures, so they can now perform as Thunderbolt drives just by swapping with the adapter. The adapter works fine with "Time Machine" and also with my "Personal Backup" cloning software. The adapter works equally well with 3.5 and 2.5 drives without enclosures.
on November 13, 2012
This adapter works great with a bare drive to build your own Thunderbolt drive. I am using a Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM drive. SuperDuper, Time Machine, and a data partition all work fine. I used the cardboard shipping box for the drive to add some bracing between the drive and the GoFlex adapter so the drive remains stable. I haven't noticed any overheating. If you power on your Mac or reboot with the drive attached you can also see the temperature of the drive reported. I have a MacBook Air and frequently disconnect, and upon reconnection the temperature is no longer reported (very minor nit and not something I've even looked in to, it isn't important to me). If you want a cheap, flexible, high capacity Thunderbolt drive this is a great way to go about building it.
on October 21, 2012
Again - I LOVE THIS. Moving video around (I'm talking huge huge files) that would otherwise be maddening is beyond bearable... this item impressed me so much I went ahead and bought another one as I had known they were coming up and had been buying the Seagate Go Flex Desktop Drives 3TB for the past few years... mainly at Costco for around $125-$145... they all work great with this (some had to be reformatted unfortunately... I'll write more on my second review as far as nuances.)
on June 24, 2012
Got base and a 3T hard drive for my backups and media files. Love the speed, as fast as internal drives.
on June 19, 2012
This adapter works perfectly well on my Seagate 4TB external hard drive. I have realized an 80% increase in transfer speed over Firewire 800 with this adapter connected to my 2012 17" Macbook Pro laptop. I'm very pleased and would recommend this combination to everyone.
on May 15, 2014
I bought the GoFlex to attach regular 3.5" hard drives, but because it's made for Seagate's own drives, an ordinary drive is somewhat unstable and has recently developed a slight crack in the male jack from it's awkward wobbly mounting. My solution to relieve pressure and make it easier to attach other drives was to buy this $5 extension cable and it works great.

on December 31, 2013
This thunderbolt adapter did not perform very well. it was slower than USB 3.0 and was sometimes slower than USB 2.0 when you're copying large files or a directory with a lot of smaller files. The three devices I ordered were all returned for a refund. Promised thunderbolt speeds are not there yet. Be very very careful with any thunderbolt promise.