5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive for a PS3!
I used this drive for my PS3. Very simple to install, the PS3 asked to format my new drive, and after the format, I had 500 gigabytes of space. My old drive was only an 80 gig.
Published on June 13, 2010 by Jeffrey Christlieb

3.0 out of 5 stars no problems yet
I found some videos showing the replacement procedure, and that worked fine, it fit fine, the laptop booted up fine the windows install worked fine

the packaging was unusual but worked fine to keep the harddrive secure while in storage/shipping but I could not find ANY info in box from manufacturer... nothing to register is there a warranty? Would have thought...
Published 18 months ago by hardsell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive for a PS3!, June 13, 2010
Jeffrey Christlieb (Highlands Ranch, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate Momentus 5400 500GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s 8MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal NB Hard Drive ST9500325AS-Bare Drive (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded PS3, April 14, 2009
I upgraded my PS3 hard drive with this 500 gb. The process was very simple and the product works great. The shipping and delivery were quick. I have no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars 160 GB PS3 upgrade to 500 GB, February 20, 2010
I recently purchased this Seagate Momentus 500 GB to upgade my 160 GB PS3. I got the product earlier then scheduled from Amazon, which is always a good thing. I installed it the sameday, the installation was simple, if you did your homework on upgrading the PS3 HDD. After installing the new 500 GB HDD I turned on the PS3 and it sounds very quiet. I recommend the product for anyone who wants a little more breathing room in their PS3, its a perfect fit and works Great !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice PS3 upgrade, October 6, 2009
I was looking foward to upgrade my PS3 hard drive (80G) and I found that the 500G drives were getting popular,the two choices I found were the Seagate Momentus and the Western Digital Scorpio Blue. The WD is a bit cheaper, and was the one with the most reviews, but I heard the Seagate is more reliable (3 yrs warranty for the WD VS 5 yrs for the Seagate). So I chose my destiny and bought the Seagate. This is the first time I buy a hard drive and install it myself, but the process is fairly simple and quick, I just had to follow the instructions I found on the web (back up your save files, power off, remove the cover, the blue screw, pull out the old drive, remove the 4 screws from the drive frame, and install the new one in reverse order).

The problem was wen I tried to power up, the PS3 didn't recognize the new drive, and instructed me to insert a flash drive with the sistem files. So I downloaded them from the Playstation website and saved them on to the flash drive (in the ps3 folder I created, according to the printed instructions that came with the ps3 unit) and voila!, the hard drive could be formatted, and I begun to recover my files I backed up.

Several reviews mention that this model is incompatible with the ps3, perhaps it is because the people who wrote them encountered the same problem as I, and didn't have the ps3 sistem files ready in the flash unit. I don't know if this problem occurs with the WD drive, but I think is not much trouble at all to fix it. A word of advice I found at the web is that the drive you choose has to operate at 5400 RPM, because there are faster (and more expensive) drives that use 7200 RPM, like the Seagate Barracuda or the WD Scorpio black, but it is rumored that they could be not compatible with the ps3, this could be wrong though.

I have not found problems so far (installed it on oct 04), loading time is very fast, it is quiet, and most of all, BIG space, no more worries!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., June 26, 2009
I expected this drive to work, of course, but I did not expect it to be so quiet. It has been my experience that Seagate drives are the most robust and dependable, but the reliability has typically come at the expense of noise levels higher than that of comparable drives. As an owner of the 500GB WD Blue 2.5" drive (which is quieter than a whisper) I didn't expect this drive to be as quiet but I decided to give it a shot anyway because I needed one in a pinch and couldn't get another WD model on such short notice. To my surprise, this drive is just as quiet as the WD model. Seagate has apparently made great strides in this department. It is my understanding that the WD model consumes slightly less energy than this drive does, but we are not talking about a large difference and I do trust Seagate reliability more than WD at the end of the day. So, in summation this seems to be a great 500GB 2.5" drive. If something changes down the road I will return and amend my review as I always do when new information arises.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VALUE!, November 17, 2010
No problems yet. If using with a ps3, you have to format it to FAT32 (it comes unformatted anyway). The factory ps3 hard drives are seagates too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for replacing PS3 hard drive!, March 7, 2011
So i usually never write reviews but i just wanted to let you guys know that it works perfectly for the Fat 80GB PS3. Idk if it works with the new slimmer ps3, im assuming it should but i upgraded my 80GB PS3 to a 500GB PS3. Now i have soo much space and its running just fine with no over heating issues. I got this for the ps3 instead of the 7200 Seagate 500GB hard drive because ive read a lot of reviews before buying this and a lot of them were saying that there might be compatiblity issues if you buy a 7200 RPM harddrive because the ps3 comes with a 5400 RPM. I also read that, with video proof, that even with a 7200RPM hard drive that there isnt any significant (notiticable) difference between having a 7200 RPM harddrive vs a 5400 RPM harddrive in your ps3. So you're better off using this to replace your PS3 hard drive. I know its only around $10 more for the 7200 RPM one but me personally, i rather not have compatibility problems in the future or risk having my ps3 overheat. (But one thing i noticed was that during downloading the ps3's fan turns on faster and louder, maybe thats how it always is and maybe i didn't notice that with my old hard drive because i barely did any downloading due to lack of space, but yeah thats something i noticed. It can kind of being annoying with it background downloading in a dorm room while your trying to sleep, but like i said idk if that is normal with the ps3 because i never did much downloading due to my lack of space on my previous 80GB harddrive)

Replacing the hard drive is really easy and took me about 5 minutes(without counting the back up time using the PS3's backup utility), there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how to do it, and how to back up your PS3 data to an external hard drive(which has to be formatted in FAT32) so checkout YouTube for instructional videos on how to replace your PS3 hard drive and back up and restore everything. Those videos really help if you are new at this.

I replaced the hard drive a month ago and it works just fine. I didn't need to put an expensive hard drive in the PS3 because i also read that the PS3 might limit the speed of the hard drives past 5400RPM to stop over heating issues. Idk how this hard drive works for a laptop(because i use two 500GB seagate momentous xt hybrid hard drives for my laptop) but for replacing a PS3 hard drive this should do just fine. Its a fairly cheap,effective way to replace your PS3 hard drive and i suggest using Seagate hard drives over other drives due to my experience with their reliability and less likeliness to fail compared to other hard drives.

Hope this helps :)

UPDATE: Its been 4 months since i have bought this and i have downloaded over 250+GB of data from the playstation store and else where onto my PS3 with this harddrive i have upgraded and its work perfectly, without any problems. I have left my PS3 on for hours at a time,even over night,for background downloading with this harddrive installed in it and it hasnt caused any problems. The downloads even seem to be downloading a little faster than they used to on my old 80GB factory installed harddrive that came with my PS3 when i bought it. I expect this to last the life of my PS3 and longer.
I would definitely recommend this harddrive for anyone looking to upgrade their PS3 harddrive to a bigger one. Only if Sony sold their PS3s with 500GB harddrives, we wont have to spend money to upgrade them lol but oh well

5.0 out of 5 stars upgraded my PS3, so much better, December 2, 2012
I would definitely recommend this to anyone thinking of upgrading their PS3

I had a 60gb HD in my original ps3, and had to start deleting stuff in order to install/play new games. This solved all my problems, and was so easy to swap out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another happy purchase from Amazingon, July 7, 2012
I haven't had a bad experience ordering through Amazon. Here again I received what I ordered in the condition I expected and in the time frame that was promised. I ordered this to repair my daughters computer after a hard drive crash and everything went as planned. I enjoy shopping with Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HDD to upgrade my PS3, June 21, 2012
Purchased this solely to upgraded my PS3 hard drive from the 80gb it came with to 500gb with this Seagate Momentus. As with all hard drives (internal/external), you'll never get the FULL amount of space as sold, so I actually got approx 450 some odd GB's, as opposed to the full 500. Just be aware that this is true for all hard drives.

Installation was a breeze to swap out the drives and now I have much more space to save games, demo's & DLC. Make sure to get this drive (the 5400rpm) and NOT the 7200, as there have been some reports of compatibility issues with the PS and/or the drive over-heating. This 5400rpm one works perfectly. I only trust Seagate and Western Digital for hard drives, and once again, Seagate hasn't disappointed me.

Rate and Discover Movies