5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Sony Vaio VGN N250E
Published on January 15, 2011 by K. Biswas

1.0 out of 5 stars 750GB drive failed within two weeks
Before I get into specifics, this caution - note the date and model on this (and other) Seagate internal hard drive reviews. Amazon lumps together drives of differing technology, size, and generation into one review pile. Look for the reviews that actually apply to the drive you're considering.

Even though I read multiple reviews warning that this 750GB drive...
Published on December 27, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars 750GB drive failed within two weeks, December 27, 2011
This review is from: Seagate Momentus 7200 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 16 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive ST9750420AS (Personal Computers)

Even though I read multiple reviews warning that this 750GB drive is prone to failure, I'm an optimist so I bought one anyway. About two weeks later, my computer crashed with a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) which turned out to be due to a bad sector that had developed in a critical system file. I ran a repair, got the machine working again, and two days later got another BSOD from more newly-developed bad sectors. The drive's built-in SMART diagnostic system is now predicting imminent drive failure. Given the number of people who have had similar experiences with this Seagate 750GB internal laptop product, one that has not been on the market that long, Seagate should stop selling it until they fix the problem.

If you're even more optimistic than I am and buy this drive anyway, be aware of another problem (albeit fixable) that nobody will tell you about in advance. This 750GB drive uses a new 4k sector size. Seagate advertises that they have built-in code that should make the sector size transparent to your system. While it seems to be true that the drive doesn't require you to install special software to accommodate its sector size, nevertheless your machine may require that you install an updated version of Intel's Matrix Storage Manager before the drive will function properly. You will get errors that don't tell you that this is the problem. I had to figure it out for myself by web searches, and if I had not had been computer literate I would never have gotten the drive working in the first place.

Note that all this feedback only applies to the 750GB drive. Drives of capacity up to 500 GB use a "standard" sector size and don't have identical issues. I have owned the 500GB drive in this same line for a long time with no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Sony Vaio VGN N250E, January 15, 2011
K. Biswas (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I needed a hard disk for my Sony Vaio laptop as I was getting cyclic redundancy check failures. I wanted a 1 TB hard disk (after all, I am spending the bucks, why not go for the trophy capacity) - but soon realized after some research that all 1 TB 2.5" hard disks in the market now are little thicker (taller) than most laptops have space for. Unless yours is a new laptop that can take a 12.5 mm thick hard disk, you have to stick to the standard 9.5 thick ones - which means you cannot get 1 TB, at least now. I am sure 6 months down the line, WD or Seagate or Samsung's gonna come up with a regular sized 1 TB disk. Anyway, I downgraded my capacity wish to 750 GB, and after some research, zeroed in on this one - reading some good favorable reviews on newegg and tigerdirect. I went with Amazon because of Amazon's great return policy (it is a hard disk to be shipped on a truck after all). Fit perfectly. Lots of space now, don't know what to do with it actually! Unless this one dies on me before its average life expectancy is over, I am going to stick to this 5 star review!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in a mid-2009 MacBook Pro, when jumpered for 1.5Gb/s, November 18, 2012
Dave (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
I originally bought a Western Digital WD Scorpio Black 750 GB SATA 3 GB/s 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Internal Bulk/OEM 2.5-Inch Mobile Hard Drive for use in my mid-2009 15-inch MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,4). It had a major problem which I believe is due to a defect in the design of this version of the MacBook Pro. I replaced the Scorpio with a Seagate Momentus with comparable specs, and it has been working great.

The Seagate drives have an important feature which the Western Digital drives do not: a jumper which allows you to limit the speed of the SATA link to 1.5Gb/s. This turned out to be critical for me, since my version of the MacBook Pro apparently has problems with 3Gb/s drives. Lowering the transfer speed to 1.5Gb/s fixes everything. I'm probably reducing the performance of the drive slightly, but that's irrelevant, since the Scorpio at 3Gb/s was unusable to due the SATA link constantly resetting, each time freezing my computer for 30 seconds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in the PS3., June 27, 2012
Got this 720 GB HDD as an expansion hard drive for my Playstation 3 (fat model) and its been working great (installed for three weeks now.) No compatibility problems with upgrading from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm. When I run the PS3 for hours I can hear the fan going louder to cool the system, but no overheating problems so far. Completely recommend it if you want a cheap upgrade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, December 11, 2010
I used this HDD on my MacBook Pro instead of the original one. I expected it to be much faster as it's 7200RPM. But that's not the case.
Speed is ok while accessing data files, but it still takes some time when launching "heavy" applications.

My only problem now is trying to launch BootCamp on vmware Fusion (Win Vista on BootCamp runs great on its own). I still need to get that issue fixed!

I didn't notice any noise from the drive as I read in some reviews, so I believe it's quite enough for whoever works in the night when there's silence surrounding him like I do.

Great product and recommended for whoever is looking to expand his MBP's HDD.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Most Effective Ways to Boost Your Laptop's Speed, August 2, 2009
If you own a laptop that is not operating up to your wishes, and you've already loaded up with RAM and defragmentated the hard drive, chances are that the performance deficit you are experiencing is simply the limitations of a 5400rpm drive, undoubtedly the type that came with your system. An easy (and now, inexpensive) way to significantly boost the speed of the system is simply to replace your 5400rpm drive with a faster, 7200rpm model. This used to be an expensive proposition, but now has become exceptionally affordable.

This particular Seagate model is especially good for upgrading an existing laptop for a number of reasons. First, as mentioned above, this is a 7200rpm drive, which all by itself offers a significant performance boost over the standard 5400rpm versions used in most all stock laptops. Second, the drive is a SATA 3.0Gb model, which means that the theoretical upper threshold for data transfer is exceptionally high (although in real life these values are almost never achieved). In addition, this particular model employs native command queuing, a hardware based performance feature which is not found on all such drives.

At about $60, this is one of the most effective and inexpensive ways to boost a laptop's overall performance. Don't expect miracles, but depending on the drive you are replacing, you may see quite a change in system responsiveness, particularly in disk intensive operations. The easiest way to perform the change is to use a disk imaging program to save a "snapshot" of the entire disk, remove the old disk , install the new drive, and then copy the saved image back to the new drive. Good luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars Two disks failed in short order., September 11, 2011
I purchased one of these to replace my laptop hard disk. Everything was working fine for about 5 days, and then the disk failed - badly. There were many failed sectors which could not be remapped, and eventually the disk couldn't be read at all.

Amazon set up an exchange for me I got a second disk. This process was really quite nice because they shipped me the replacement disk before receiving the failed one, and they shipped it next day (the original shipping method I had selected).

The replacement disk lasted for 5 days also before failing. At this point I gave up on the seagate momentus, and returned it for good. It is possible, but unlikely, that I just happened to get two bad disks in a row. I would suggest looking to another drive for your storage needs for the time being.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed drive after 1 month, all replacements have failed as well, January 14, 2010
Purchased the drive brand new for my Dell laptop. Within one month the drive began "clicking" intermittently, each time causing my machine to completely lock up and freeze while it happened. At first I thought the problem would go away, but it progressively got worse and worse until I finally had to return the drive.

RMA is not free - you need to either pay for them to mail you a box and a shipping label, or pack it yourself. Next to impossible to pack yourself - they have extremely strict requirements about the amount and type of foam required, which can't be purchased at shipping stores. In other words, you are forced to pay Seagate for a replacement drive.

Received a new replacement and within 2-3 weeks the new drive started having the same issue. Returned that one as well and received a green label "refurbished" drive. The refurbished drive was constantly clicking right out of the box - I was shipped a defective drive. "Refurbished" basically means they tried to find the problem someone else had, couldn't, and shipped that problem drive out to me.

I'm not impressed. Not only am I out the cost of the drive, I'm also out the amount I spent for the "advanced replacement" process.

Like many of you, I read the reviews on Amazon and figured that maybe all of the bad reviews were because of the number of drives Seagate sells and only the bad people complaining. Boy was I wrong - these drives are complete lemons. Beware - don't make the same mistake I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate Momentus 7200 500 in PS3, September 29, 2012
This hard drive is working fine in my PS3, no problems at all. It is a pain if your going to transfer over all of your files. Need an external hard drive formatted to Fat 32, if you have a large amount of files like I did (130G) Windows will not format the entire drive. I used EaseUS Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition (free), just make sure download the latest PSN update (on a Fat 32 device, I used a USB stick)you will need this when you reboot your PS3 with the new drive in. It will take several hours to backup to the external drive and several more to transfer to the new hard drive (well worth it if you have a slower internet connection like mine). If your a Playstation Plus member your going to need a bigger hard drive with all of the free games that are coming out on PSN and the load times are a little better compared to 5400 RPM. There are plenty of guides on the internet so you can follow step by step if you need to. One note, make sure you sync all of your trophy data to the PSN before backing up your PS3.

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT BUY SEAGATE HARD DRIVES!!!!!, December 4, 2009
I bought this drive a few months ago and about a week after installed it started to make a noise that sounds like a bunch of marbles are loose inside my MacMini. It also makes beeping noises here and there...The noises are starting to become more prevalent so I went to Seagates site to have it swapped out...they want to charge me 19.99 in order to send me out one first so that way there isn't any down time...What a crock!...I wouldn't recommend getting this drive or any Seagate product...They obviously know they have problem with their drives because they are charging you 19.99 to have it replaced in a timely fashion..Should have bought a HITACHI!!!!

Rate and Discover Movies