4.0 out of 5 stars Painful Process. Wonderful Result
Published 10 months ago by kq

Published 11 months ago by Josh Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars Painful Process. Wonderful Result, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Seagate Rescue - 2 Year Data Recovery Plan for External Hard Drives (Personal Computers)
I bought this service for my brand new seagate go-flex, after a month of use I get the click of death. -__- but i remembered I bought this plan to recover my data and drive. I made my claim back in the beginning of November; and ever since it has been a nightmare trying to get any straight answers. it took over month for them to send me a mailing address, because all the reps wanted to pass the buck and tell me someone else would email it to me. I finally just asked for the manager and explained to her my situation, she assured it would be taken care of that same day and she would email me either way to make sure I was satisfied. (head of data recovery I hope you read this). Three silent day pass by before I decide to conatct them again. At this point im furious at the lack of professionalism shown by this company, for a service I paid my good money for. This time I simply asked for a refund and the agent tells me he'll personally email me the address while im on the phone with him. I finally get the prepaid mailing sticker and try to send it; unfortunately I do not live near a ups, so i pay for it out of pocket because I couldn't afford to wait on the data any longer. I sent them an email about this and to this day, i haven't received response. The tracking number showed that they received my drive on December 2nd..

The plan stated it took about 2-3 days to recover data. I decide to call them two weeks later, and ask for a status update, the female rep told me she couldn't find any record of my claim. I almost lost it on that call, I calmly asked for someone higher, and I end up speaking to the same manager who said she would "take care of it" from calls prior. She stated 2-3 weeks is normal and to just wait. Since that day, I have been and still am waiting...

I like seagate products but this experience was a travesty of service.
I will NEVER do business with another seagate "service" AGAIN
I still do like their hdd's , I must of received a lemon this time.

*made an effort to not use any names here/ for no matter how bad the service was no-one deserves such public shaming.

UPDATE!

I received the drive today, and was very shocked. The data recovery was flawless, files that I thought I'd never see again were restored. Also everything was put back into the correct folder, not just one file with a bunch of random data. Overall this was worth the wait, probably because I had important data on it. only if they hadn't lied to me repeatedly. O well

Would I no do it again?? yes/no depending on what I lost

3.0 out of 5 stars They seem to have serious issues with actually fulfilling on orders, December 12, 2013
Josh Parker (Orange, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I've bought 2 of these (3 year) on two different orders in the past month. I have received nothing from them, no emails, and have not be able to get a hold of anyone via phone. I fingered maybe the first order was backed up over from the black Friday weekend, but when even the second order a week later also went unfulfilled over a week and a half later, something isn't right.

Will try to contact them for another couple days then file claims with Amazon on both orders.

Update:
Seagate Service Plans responded. They claim they had sent the confirmation through email via Amazon, though nothing was received and I have never had an instanced where gmail has filtered any email from Amazon. On thing they should just put in the listing is that you can go directly to here (serviceplans.seagate.com/amazon), put in your Amazon order number, and register the service plan. It shouldn't take having to contact them to get that info.
Raising review to 2.5 stars since they did end up delivery the product, but the hassle and their apparently difficulty with just sending email through Amazon as part of the product does not inspire much confidence.

4.0 out of 5 stars CAREFUL WHEN BUYING THIS, August 5, 2014
I purchased the 3 year rescue and replace plan for my G-drive and I thought hey, why not you never know. Three months in and my drive gives out! I patted myself on the back for having this rescue plan. BUT after four more months of phone calls and seagate voiding my plan, I am upset. Oops sorry, turns out we don't cover your drive!
I don't know why amazon offers this plan at all. Seagate will NOT replace your drive if it isn't seagate or similar to seagate.

WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME

UPDATE:
Seagate has contacted me and told me that Amazon's system glitched which is why this plan was offered to nonseagate drive users. They told I will probably get a refund for my product. Hopefully, I do. Until then I will keep my review at one star.

UPDATE:
Seagate refunded me my drive and my rescue and replace plan. I am pleased that they did this since I was expecting the worst after my previous experiences. THANK YOU SEAGATE

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, April 8, 2014
I'm an independent film producer, who randomly had to pick up a spare harddrive before a very arduous shoot in the wicked cold this January/February brought to the Midwest. For whatever random reason, I decided to purchase this Rescue & Replace plan - to this day I'm still not sure what made me spend the extra money, as in my entire life I've never had a drive fail. Well, after s*** storm after s*** storm, we finished shooting the project. A few weeks into the edit process, a strange power surge fried several of our drives, including our archive drives - we lost everything that we had shot and spent much money on. Luckily, I had this plan; Seagate was super eager to help and when I offered to pay for a 'Rush Job', they assured me that it wouldn't be necessary and recovered the drive with nearly 4TB of film magazine footage in less than 10 days of the receive date.

I am still waiting for the new drive in the mail, but recovery was "100% successful" and I am eager to get back to work.
Will update this once I know the data has been 100% successfully recovered and in my hands.
So far so good Seagate!

4.0 out of 5 stars REGISTER THE PLAN!, May 12, 2014
Amy Bennett (San Ysidro, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
My Seagate 4.0 external was accidentally dropped and is unreadable...I had a nice chat with the lady from the Data Recovery Service, which is NOT Seagate. It is an outside company. Please note...YOU HAVE TO REGISTER the plan. I didn't do that when I bought the plan back in December 2013. She was very nice and let me register, but I almost had a heart attack. After we registered the plan, she went through some basic questions. She said it would take 4-5 business days for me to get an email with the information on how to ship the hard drive. I told her to put a rush on that, because I need to get it out the door before Wednesday morning. We will see how the next steps go. REMEMBER TO REGISTER THE PLAN!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust this company., August 7, 2014
Three months after I buy this added protection Seagate contacts me and says, "Sorry, our bad, we don't want to cover that product. We'll send you money back." Pretty sure this is not legal and I would not bought this product without added coverage. I've been bunt too many times by external hard drives. They fail all the time and you need protection and back ups.
This is not cool.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: HGST Drives Not covered, April 11, 2014
I purchased 4 Laptop HGST drives and none of them are covered. 3 drives out of 4 failed and this plan excludes those specific models, even though Amazon sells them bundled with the drive sales.

UTTERLY FALSE! DO NOT PURCHASE with HGST drives.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is more of a case of I "HOPE" I like it..., June 30, 2014
I bought a new drive to use as a Time Machine backup for my MacBook Pro and saw this plan for sale with it. What you're supposed to supply for the registration of this plan is *NOT* the sales number for the drive, but the sales number for the plan. TOTALLY unclear. And Seagate customer service did not read my help request. I explicitly requested an email response and for them NOT to telephone me... yes, they called. Fortunately this was one time I was in a meeting and had forgotten and left my phone on my desk so that it didn't disturb anyone. Now let's hope that if I ever need the drive rescued and/or replaced, they can do a better job of dealing with that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seagate: AWFUL, August 18, 2014
Noah Fence (the moon & antarctica) - See all my reviews
Once upon a time in 2007 a Seagate hard drive I owned failed while I was transferring some files to my new (at the time) MacBook. The drive would spin up and was recognized as a storage device by OS X, but the data which was previously accessible no longer was. Of course this occurred while I was in the process of moving and didn't have access to my Windows PC; if I had, I would have been able to verify whether it was a drive failure or an easily correctible corruption. In the end I decided to send the drive to Seagate for "diagnosis." It was a bad move.

After a few days of having the drive, I received a call from a Seagate "representative" who proceeded to inundate me with technobabble about what was "wrong" with my drive, and was unwilling or unable to answer any of my specific technical questions. It was apparent the Seagate "representative" actually didn't know anything about computer hardware or what was wrong with my specific drive, and was simply reading from a prompt designed to bully / frustrate me into submission, including refusing to return the drive to me. In the end I paid in the neighborhood of $700 for data recovery and a replacement hard drive. Shame on Seagate for blackmailing customers with their own data.

But please, don't just consider my very biased opinion. Look up the reviews for the most popular "Barracuda" Seagate hard drives and read about their dishonest binning and advertising practices. Or just read the slews of 1 star reviews. Or, hit up Google for the drive failure rate data released by Backblaze.

If I only save one innocent from becoming a victim of Seagate with this rant, I've done my good deed for the day!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy to have this!, June 15, 2014
I've had other brands crash taking all my backed up data with it. This data recovery makes me feel a lot better about things. I'm glad to have it just in case there is a problem!