Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Capacity: 1TB|Style Name: 8GB NAND|Change

UPDATE: April 16 2016:

Amazon Listing CLAIMS the drive has a 5 Year Warranty, BUT Seagate SAYS the drive IS OEM: NO WARRANTY!!! CHECK YOUR DRIVE AT THE SEAGATE WEB SITE: Google "Seagate Warranty Check".

Here is the salient part from my Seagate warranty check results:
"The product you identified was sold as a system component. Please contact your place of purchase for service. Seagate sells many drives to direct OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customers. These products are usually configured for the OEMs only, as components for their systems. You must contact your place of purchase for any warranty support on these drives."

With the disappointing results when checking this drive's warranty status on the Seagate web site I'm downing my review to 2 stars. This is like Deja Vu all over with the last one! Once again the product listing is stating a multi-year manufacturer warranty. There is even a link to a PDF of the Seagate warranty document. Instead I got a OEM drive with NO WARRANTY. Beware and check!!

The drive performs very well and better than its predecessor. That's why it gets downed 2 stars instead of 1.

I did a couple more tests using CrystalDiskMark and just copying a 11GB folder of updates and "stuff" from my SSD to this drive. I'm putting a screen capture of the benchmark (pretty consistent results over 5 runs) which seems to reflect mostly the mechanical drive performance and a couple of screen captures showing representative copy to/from of that 11GB folder which probably represents the SSD portion coming into play. I hope this will give a fair picture of performance on a kind of drive that is hard to accurately measure. Like I say above, the drive itself performs very well.

Selling a OEM drive when stating there is a 5 year manufacturer warranty is just wrong. If you don't care about warranty this is an excellent performing drive and may be considered 5 stars.

UPDATE: New Model Mar 24, 2016:
This product listing has changed many times since my original review in 2013 when I got my 8GB NAND 1TB model. My original take of woe and redemption is after this section about the new 32GB NAND model I've just gotten.

The 32GB NAND model performs noticeably better than the 8GB model. As of this update the product listing explicitly says this model comes with a 5 year warranty. (per new update: NOT TRUE)

With larger operating system and application footprints the larger 32GB NAND (aka SSD) portion of this hybrid drive can hold 4 times as much of frequently accessed files. Usually the OS and frequently used applications. I am not a gamer, but I would expect that favorite games will be noticeably faster to load with this drive's larger NAND. There can be a larger perceived performance boost, but that is sensitive to how the drive is used. I think it's best suited for a boot drive.

It takes a while to get to the best performance point. The drive learns what to keep in NAND as the computer is used. This drive uses a small SSD portion and smart firmware to give this inexpensive drive some of the performance benefits of a SSD costing 3X as much. That said, it's not an SSD and does not uniformly improve access speed. Just things used frequently.

The 32GB NAND model appears well worth the (as of this review) $20 premium over the 8GB NAND model. It's certainly worth it to me.

As always, verify your drive's warranty status on the Seagate site before the Amazon 30 return window is over if warranty matters to you. (NOTE: ACCORDING TO SEAGATE THE ONE I RECEIVED IS OEM AND HAS NO WARRANTY THOUGH THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION SAYS IT HAS A 5 YEAR WARRANTY: BEWARE: See newer update above)

The OLD original review and updates about the 8GB NAND model is below:

Note that the product listing now indicates this is an OEM drive. This was NOT the case when I wrote this review. I did not think I'd purchased an OEM drive at that time.

The most important parts are the updates at the end explaining the current 5 star rating. My eventual outcome became positive although it took several months. This highlights how much warranty matters because things sometimes will go wrong..

My negative warranty experience was shared by others which can be seen in the many comments.

After the warranty issues were finally resolved the replacement drive has performed well. Now this hybrid drive has been retired when the computer was converted to another use and a SSD was installed. This is discussed in my final update on this review.

I hope the review, updates and comments are helpful to potential Seagate purchasers.

For the whole story, read on...

************* Original Review ***************

I am writing this review because I see this listing does not provide either warranty or retail/OEM status. Why does this matter? Read on...

I bought a previous model (Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST750LX003). I found out rather rudely that Seagate does not honor the warranty on OEM drives. The drive was only 4 months old. The Amazon listing for that drive did not say it was an OEM drive. That listing mentioned the Seagate 3 year warranty.

In the 4 months it worked the drive made booting and certain common tasks very quick. If it was on the SSD part of the drive it was quick like a SSD. If not it performed like a conventional hard drive. I was very pleased until it failed.

The drive failed after 4 months with no warning. It just stopped working. Smart testing indicated no problems but Seagate tools said it was dead. When I called Seagate for warranty support they said it was an OEM drive and the seller was responsible for the warranty on drives with OEM serial numbers. How could I have known?

My fast little hybrid drive was suddenly just a very small "brick."

After Seagate told me the drive was OEM and "tough", I called Amazon and their customer service was GREAT. Even though I was outside the 30 day return window and Seagate should have honored their warranty. Note: WD honors their warranties in my experience, OEM or not.

I see this 1TB ST1000LM014 listing does not specify a warranty or whether the drive is retail or OEM. After posting this review will warranty specifics may get clarified? I hope so: it matters.

FYI: Seagate provides a MANUFACTURER warranty of 3 year according to their product data sheet. Just search the seagate site for the model number: ST1000LM014.

Seagate has stated to me directly that they will not honor the warranty if you happen to have a drive with an OEM serial number.

Update June 20, 2013:

When I tried to get a warranty support for my Amazon bought Seagate hybrid drive in Feb. 2013, the drive was rejected *both* on-line and via phone support. Seagate said they would not honor the warranty because the drive purchased on Amazon had a OEM serial nunber. The drive listing on Amazon at that time and the Seagate information on their web site both cited a 3 year warranty for the drive without mention of "except if it's an OEM drive".

After reading a comment on this review I am happy to report I learned that Jack had validated the warranty on a Seagate OEM hybrid drive at the Seagate site. I went there and retried the warranty check for my failed hybrid drive one more time. This time the warranty validated and the drive was accepted for free replacement.

I hope this review may have helped Seagate change and decide to stand behind their drive's warranty whether sold as bare (OEM style) or retail.

I'm changing my rating from 1 to 3 stars. Kudos to Seagate: they are now backing up their product.

Update August 20, 2013:

I was called today by Bryce Stoops of the Seagate Corporate Escalations Team. We had a good conversation and he clarified Seagate's OEM Policy and how it is supposed to work. He also explained why my Feb 2013 warranty claim was refused. Read on...

Bryce explained to me that OEM drives are only sold to systems integrators who have entered into an agreement to back the drive warranty themselves or through their channel. The intent is that when a pre-configured system is purchased from a vendor like Lenovo or Dell or other integrator the "system" is warrantied by the integrator along with all the components. He said Seagate does not sell OEM drives via Amazon. According to Bryce OEM drives turn up mostly on eBay or auction sites but rarely on Amazon.

From our conversation it seems that because a drive is sold as a "bare drive" that does not make it an OEM drive. So if a drive is sold by Amazon a purchaser can have high confidence it's NOT an OEM drive.

With respect to my experience where my purchased from Amazon drive was refused warranty replacement, he said there was a one character difference in the serial numbers from my February 2013 failed warranty attempt and the successful attempt in June. This is believable even though it was checked by two people using Seagate tools at my business in February. This sort of thing can happen quite honestly and understandably at either end of the phone.

I'm removing the Aug. 6 update as the comment that triggered it stands on its own. The rest remains for continuity.

It seems very positive that Seagate reached out to try to assure customer satisfaction after reading my initial review. As a result of our extended conversation I'm upgrading my review to 5 stars.

Update October 17, 2014
Unless I install the drive in another system this will probably be my last update on this drive review.

I recently retired my Seagate Hybrid drive. The replacement drive has performed very well in the year and a half since the warranty issues were resolved.

The computer where it was installed is no longer my primary laptop and is getting another role. To support that I've replaced the Hybrid drive with a SanDisk Ultra II SSD.

The Seagate Hybrid did a great job of giving the perception of SSD speed with my laptop's mix of applications and usage patterns. For common web browsing and office using folks. If you do a few things a lot this drive will shine in performance and value.

At a $85 price point as of today it remains a compelling value proposition for 1TB in a 2.5in form factor.

I hope you might have found this helpful.
review image review image
9292 comments|791 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2013
I am extremely pleased with this drive and would highly recommend it as an upgrade on a Macbook Pro. It is much faster than the stock 500 GB drive that came in late 2012 MacBook Pro. Now I have a fast 1 TB machine. All 999.8 GB are available as one drive.

I used the step by step instructions that I found at [...] to change out the hardware in less that 15 minutes.

After a discussion concerning the software restore with the apple guru at my local apple store, I used his advice by starting the macbook pro with the new drive by holding down the option key. (Rather than using an OS X Recovery Disk - the apple guru said apple no long supports that product, even though i found it on apple's support website???) I then had to log onto my wifi network. It took about 10 minutes to download the next menu to my computer over the internet. At that point I had to 1st delete the files on the new hard drive and at the time, select the "extended journal" option. This took 5 or so minutes. Then I used Time Machine to restore about 450 GB from a USB 3.0 connected external hard drive. That took about 5 hours.

I've been running the new drive for 2 days now with no problems. The only thing that did't restore was the product key in my Mac version of Microsoft Office. I reinstalled the key and all works fine. I run Windows 7 through Parallels. Windows and all of my Windows programs run fine. I did not have to reinstall product key numbers in my Windows versions of Lightroom and Photoshop.
3434 comments|275 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
இ Fuzzy Wuzzy's Summary:
ѾѾѾѾ Recommended with warm fuzzies.

փ Positives:

փ This 5400-RPM drive that utilizes 8-GB SSD smart-caching is a great upgrade to replace an existing 5400-RPM or PlayStation drive, as long as you frequently access applications and data files repeatedly.
փ This 5400-RPM drive can perform almost as fast as many 7200-RPM drives, but it still cannot match SSD drive speeds.
փ This drive runs very quietly and can just barely be heard most of the time.
փ The 1-TB drive has a standard 9.5mm size suitable for most laptops, while the 500-GB version of this drive is 7.0mm size and may be a better fit for ultrabooks and thin laptops.
փ This drive has a 3-year limited warranty.

ჯ Negatives:

ჯ Unlike some previous Seagate Momentus XT drives that combine flash memory caching with a 7200-RPM drive, this drive spins at 5400-RPM.
ჯ In order to provide a robust speed boost that improves all usage scenarios, the SSD caching really needs to be increased to at least 24-GB or 32-GB in size, especially if you frequently work with graphics/photo/video/multimedia files.
ჯ Even though it uses a 5400-RPM hard drive, this Seagate SSHD consumes almost as much energy as some regular 7200-RPM hard drives, or about 40% to 80% more energy than some of the better energy-efficient 5400-RPM mobile hard drives on the market.
ჯ While this drive does noticeably improve the boot time during a cold boot, the speed-up when waking up from hibernation mode is only slightly quicker.
ჯ Both with performance and price, this drive may not be better than buying a 1-TB 7200-RPM drive.

This solid state hybrid drive combines 8-GB of MLC (Multi-Level Cell) NAND flash memory with a conventional 1-TB 5400-RPM hard drive that has 64-MB of DRAM read/write buffer cache. The flash memory's firmware provides intelligent smart-caching so that recently or frequently used files are stored in the faster flash memory instead of needing to always access the slower spinning hard drive, and the firmware learns and tries to predict which files you will need to access.

This concept of bypassing the hard drive to speed up throughput has been around for more than 30 years now. During the early 1980s, Microsoft and other software vendors offered a "VDISK" application that could allocate a block of RAM memory for use as a virtual disk drive. The operating system would then just treat this virtual disk drive as if it was another hard drive, albeit an extremely fast hard drive. So even with the Microsoft MS-DOS 2.0 operating system than ran on the original IBM PC (which is prehistoric stone age compared to Windows and OS X :-) , you could read and write data to a device that was 50 to 70 times faster than a 7200-RPM hard drive and 15 to 20 times faster than an SSD drive. The main disadvantage with the original "VDISK" applications was that if the computer lost power or was turned off, all the RAM disk contents would instantly disappear. While RAM disk functionality is no longer in Windows, RAM disk software is still offered by some software companies, it can still provide a speed boost when combined with either regular hard drives or SSD drives, and the modern RAM disk software can write the RAM contents as a disk image on the hard drive, either at regular intervals or during shutdown, to prevent accidental data loss if your computer suddenly loses power. If your computer has plenty of memory that remains unused by applications, you can allocate some of that free memory to a RAM disk to speed up disk-intensive activities such as HD video editing, databases, and compilation of source code during software development. A company called Dataram makes an excellent "RAMDisk" software. Their freeware version lets you create a RAM disk up to 4 GB in size, while their commercial version lets you create a virtual disk that is larger than 4 GB.

If your computer has a conventional hard drive along with either an SSD drive or mSATA SSD card, Intel has two software applications that can considerably speed up how fast the computer wakes up from hibernation mode and can speed up hard disk performance by smart-caching recently and frequently used files. Intel's "Rapid Start Technology" can be used to allocate a hidden partition on an SSD drive to write out the entire contents of system memory when the computer goes into hibernation mode. When the computer wakes up from hibernation mode, it can be ready to use far quicker than if hibernation mode had written the contents of 16 GB of system memory to a regular hard drive. Intel's "Smart Response Technology" software lets the user configure a part of an SSD to be used as a smart cache, so the SSD's fast-cache partition sits in between system memory and the regular hard drive to provide SSD-like performance. And unlike RAM disk software, this SRT does not require a separate drive letter identifier and there is no extra latency in having to save the RAM contents as a disk image since SSD drives use non-volatile NAND flash memory.

This Seagate hybrid solid state hard drive uses the same smart-caching approach as combining Intel's "Smart Response Technology" with both a regular hard drive and a SSD drive. The critical performance-altering difference, however, is that this Seagate drive only has an 8-GB SSD cache, whereas with Intel's SRT, you can configure it to allocate more caching space on the SSD, which helps in situations where you often work with large files.

This SSHD is the successor to Seagate's previous second-generation Momentus XT hybrid hard drives, which also use flash memory caching, and Seagate advertises that this drive "boots and performs like an SSD". Seagate created the industry's first solid state hybrid hard drive in 2007 with their Momentus PSD. But their Momentus PSD only used 128 MB or 256 MB of onboard NAND flash caching, which was too small to create much of a speed boost. Their initial release of Momentus XT SSHDs substantially increased the NAND flash cache to 4 GB, which was further increased to 8 GB on their last versions of Momentus XT drives. But some of Seagate's previous Momentus XT hybrid drive models combined a 7200-RPM drive with the 8-GB of flash memory, whereas this third-generation SSHD spins at a slower 5400-RPM speed. Both with Seagate's previous 7200-RPM Momentus XT drives and this drive, I saw about a 20% to 30% speed boost when cold-booting my Windows 7 PC from a previous full shutdown. During the first few shutdowns after initially installing this drive as the system/boot drive, the boot times were not quicker, but then it seems that this hybrid drive's firmware "learned" which system files to cache for noticeably faster booting. But I saw only a slightly quicker response when going into and coming out of hibernation mode. This hard drive's SSD smart-caching cannot speed up the time that it takes to come out of hibernation mode because the computer's entire memory contents must be written to disk during hibernation and this hard drive's smart-caching logic cannot adapt to the memory dump onto a disk image during hibernation; for this to work, the computer would need to have less than 8-GB of memory to write its memory contents into the 8-GB of SSHD cache anyway. Depending upon what software applications I am running, the smart-caching may or may not offer a noticeable performance boost.

The 9.5mm size of the 1-TB internal drive will fit most laptops. Some SSD drives have a 7.0mm size that may not fit the drive bracket or connector of some laptops. Note that the 1-TB version of this SSHD hard drive, with a model number of "ST1000LM014", has a 9.5mm thickness, while the 500-GB version, with a model number of "ST500LM000", is a thinner 7.0mm size. So the 9.5mm-thick 1-TB drive may be a better size fit for your laptop, while the 7.0mm-thick 500-GB drive may be a better fit for an ultrabook or thin laptop. Some laptops and devices, such as Sony PlayStations, can use either a 9.5mm or 7.0mm hard drive.

While some Seagate drives include a "Quick Start Guide", this drive does not include any guide manual. If you have installed an internal laptop drive before, this drive easily installs without issues or the need to install any special drivers. Depending upon where you are going to install this internal hard drive, you may need a small No.1 Phillips screwdriver, a T6 Torx screwdriver (for a MacBook), or other screwdriver. If you work on computer hardware, it is always handy to have No. 1, 0, 00, and 000 screwdrivers in your electronics toolbox.

When tested using the "HD Tune" hard drive performance benchmarking tool, I get a minimum/maximum/average sequential read speed of 46/116/85 MB/s and an average sequential write speed of 81 MB/s. These are pretty good speeds for a 5400-RPM internal laptop drive, but there is obviously no sign that the 8-GB of flash memory is working here during the sequential read test. An SSD drive can exceed 400 MB/s on sequential reads. However, in random read access, I measured as high as 146 MB/s on 1-MB random reads. Although this is still far slower than an SSD drive, and Seagate Barracuda, Western Digital VelociRaptor, and Hitachi Deskstar drives are faster, this is as fast as many 7200-RPM laptop drives. These test results do show that this Seagate SSHD is better at random read/writes, whereas you get less performance and less use of its 8-GB SSD cache if you are frequently performing sequential reads/writes of large video/movie/multimedia files. During initial reads of files, this hard drive performs just like an average 5400-RPM drive. The SSHD does not read from the 8-GB SSD cache unless you are repeatedly accessing the same files.

If you are already using 7200-RPM drives, this is not a faster upgrade. This drive could have been faster than regular 7200-RPM drives if it also used a 7200-RPM drive like Seagate's previous Momentus XT hybrid drives, instead of using a 5400-RPM drive. But if your laptop has regular 5400-RPM drives, this makes a great upgrade. Just don't expect SSD-level performance :-) If you can afford to buy a SSD drive for use as the system/boot drive, that is the fastest and best option. A dedicated SSD drive is also the best option if you need to edit very large HD videos since the speed-up due to the SSD smart-caching of this Seagate hybrid drive is much better suited for smaller system files, application files, and smaller data files that are frequently used. The 8-GB of flash caching is too small for users who frequently hop around reading and writing large multimedia files. Earlier this year, X-Bit Labs reported that Seagate will stop production of 7200-RPM laptop hard drives by the end of 2013 to focus just on these SSHD drives along with 5400-RPM drives for the laptop market. Other companies such as Western Digital and Hitachi continue to offer 7200-RPM laptop drives. Part of Seagate's marketing decision may also be due to the price of SSD drives steadily becoming lower and lower; i.e. Seagate is assuming that customers will either spend more for the faster SSD drives or spend less for these enhanced 5400-RPM SSHD drives. But I would have preferred that Seagate stop production of 5400-RPM drives to focus on 7200-RPM SSHD drives. Unless these 5400-RPM SSHD drives have their price lowered, the 7200-RPM conventional 2.5-inch hard drives from Western Digital and Hitachi currently offer performance that is just as good as this Seagate SSHD at prices that are 25% to 40% cheaper.

While this drive is better than a regular 5400-RPM drive, it is less competitive than other 1-TB 7200-RPM internal laptop drives both in terms of pricing and performance. Both the sequential and random access performance could have been improved if this drive included a larger SSD cache than 8 GB. At a minimum, the hard drive really needs at least 24 GB or 32 GB of SSD caching built into this drive. I have a 16-GB laptop that uses Intel's "Rapid Start Technology" combined with a 32-GB mSATA SSD card and two 1-TB 5400-RPM hard drives, and it only takes three or four seconds to fully wake up from hibernation mode, reading the 16-GB system memory image that was written to the mSATA SSD card and loading it back into system memory. Using this Seagate SSHD as my system/boot drive on another laptop, it still takes quite a bit longer to become fully operational when waking up from hibernation mode. On one of my laptops that is equipped with two 1-TB 5400-RPM conventional hard drives and the 32-GB mSATA SSD card, when I edit large photo/graphics/video files, sometimes repeatedly opening and closing numerous files throughout the week, those files often get cached onto the 32-GB mSATA SSD card by Intel's "Smart Response Technology" software that is installed on this laptop. And then when I reopen a large 11-GB HD video file to edit it again on the following day, I am pleasantly surprised and reminded of the SSD caching because the HD video file gets loaded extremely fast by the application into memory. If I hop back and forth editing photos and videos on another laptop where I have installed this Seagate SSHD as my system/boot drive, this caching rarely happens on the SSHD's 8-GB SSD cache.

Even though it uses a 5400-RPM hard drive, this Seagate SSHD uses more power than most 5400-RPM hard drives. This Seagate SSHD drive uses 0.9 watts of power while it is idling and 2.7 watts while reading/writing. By comparison, some of the latest 5400-RPM hard drives in 500-GB and 1-TB sizes use about 0.6 to 0.7 watts while idling and 1.4 to 1.7 watts while reading/writing. So perhaps the SSD caching and the need for the smart-caching firmware to constantly track whether data can be read from the SSD or has to be retrieved from the hard disk adds an additional 1-watt of power usage overhead during reads/writes compared to a regular 5400-RPM drive. With respect to how hot it runs, its heat feels more like a 5400-RPM drive than a 7200-RPM drive; i.e. staying fair cool under moderate usage and getting warm under heavy usage. But this SSHD drive uses almost as much energy as some regular 7200-RPM hard drives, or about 40% to 80% more energy than some of the better energy-efficient 5400-RPM laptop hard drives on the market. With this SSHD installed in my laptop, I noticed that its battery life was reduced compared to the previous 5400-RPM hard drive that it replaced; usually I get at least 6 hours of battery power and now I get between 4 and 5 hours running on battery. Because of this, I ended up moving this Seagate SSHD from my laptop to my PlayStation where it serves as a far better performance and disk space upgrade.

This Seagate SSHD is currently priced on Amazon about 25% to 40% more than a regular 1-TB 5400-RPM or 7200-RPM hard drive. Some great 1-TB drives, at both 5400-RPM and 7200-RPM speeds, are currently priced around $75 to $80 at the time of this review's writing; 5400-RPM runs cooler and lasts longer on battery, while 7200-RPM runs hotter and eats up more battery juice while being about 15% to 20% faster than some of the best 5400-RPM drives. I really wish that Seagate retained the 7200-RPM design that they used in last year's Momentus XT hybrid drive models. If this SSHD used a 7200-RPM drive combined with at least 24-GB or 32-GB of SSD caching, Seagate would have a really winning combination, it would justify a higher price of this SSHD drive, and I would then give it an unequivocal 5-star rating, instead of rating it 4 stars. But with its current design, price, performance, and power usage, it may not be better than using a regular 7200-RPM drive. The more frequently you access the same files every day, the more you will utilize the built-in SSD cache and realize a performance boost. The more that you access a variety of large files, reading and writing new files throughout the week (which, for my needs, means HD video editing), the less benefit you will get from the SSD cache and a 7200-RPM drive will provide better performance.

So it really depends upon what you are using this SSHD drive for, and what is important to you. If you want speed and performance while working with large graphics/photo/video/multimedia files, an SSD drive is the best (and most expensive) choice, and a 7200-RPM drive is the second best choice. 7200-RPM drives used to cost more than 5400-RPM drives, but the price difference between most 7200-RPM and 5400-RPM drives has now become negligible.

If you are looking for a 1-TB laptop drive that will serve as the system/boot drive of a laptop and you are not using the hard drive to also view or edit lots of graphics/photos/videos, instead just using the drive for office/software/email/Internet work, then this Seagate SSHD is a great choice. If you replace an existing 5400-RPM system/boot drive with this 5400-RPM SSHD drive, you will notice a livelier faster system response with common computer functions since you would get SSD read speeds while repeatedly accessing the same files and applications. Studies have shown that the typical office worker reads about 19 GB of data during a 5-day work week, with about half of that data being unique reads and the other half being duplicate reads of the same files. For example, if you frequently go back and forth between using Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel, or if you are a software developer who goes back and forth between editing, debugging, and testing code, you will notice a quicker zippier response from your laptop when using this SSD-caching 5400-RPM drive compared to using a regular 5400-RPM hard drive. This SSHD is also an excellent upgrade for a PlayStation because PlayStations access the same software and game files quite frequently, thus allowing the drive to frequently read from the SSD cache, resulting in faster start times, load times, and response times.

However, if you are a graphic designer or photo/video editing software user, or if you frequently access photo/video/multimedia files or a variety of other large files either for work or entertainment, the 8-GB of NAND flash caching is too small to provide much of a speed boost when compared to a 7200-RPM or SSD drive. People tend to access a particular multimedia file - such as a JPEG/RAW photo file, HD video, or Adobe graphics file - less frequently than specific application program files and document files. You may access a multimedia file just once, either to view or edit it, and then not access it again until later on. In these one-use situations, these multimedia files will not be cached onto the SSD, but will need to be read from the 5400-RPM hard drive, and a 7200-RPM would be faster in reading and writing these large files, both because the files may not be already cached onto the 8-GB SSD and because, even if you repeatedly read in the same set of multimedia files every day, trying to cache numerous large multimedia files could quickly overflow the 8-GB flash cache. In this case, you should shop for 1-TB 7200-RPM drives, which are currently about $20 to $40 cheaper than this Seagate drive.

If speed is less important to you than maximizing the number of hours that you can run on battery power, and SSD drives are out of your budget, some of the most energy-efficient 5400-RPM drives use 30% to 80% less energy than either this SSHD drive or 7200-RPM drives. SSD drives are the best storage solution for speed, size, weight, energy use and battery life, heat generation, and resistance to both mechanical and thermal damage. But if you need 512-GB or 1-TB capacity, SSDs are really expensive (for now... ;-)

If you do replace your main system drive, you can either use cloning software such as "Acronis True Image" to mirror all your system files and applications back onto the new drive, or you can perform a fresh OS install and reinstall all applications that you were using. Seagate also has a "DiscWizard" tool on their Web site that you can download to help guide you with creating and partitioning the drive, and transferring data. The advantage of cloning your system files and applications is that it is much faster to put everything back onto the new drive. The advantage of performing fresh installs of the OS and applications is that it can often declutter your files and free up hundreds of megabytes of space (which is like totally cleaning out a basement that has accumulated years of stuff).

This drive is rated at a very quiet 22 dBA sound level when idle, and 24 dBA when the drive is seeking/reading/writing. With the drive installed inside my laptop, I can only barely hear the drive's operation in a quiet room when my ears are about one feet away from the drives' location inside the laptop and the drives are actively reading/writing. When the laptop is idle, I do not hear the drives at all. And even if this hard drive is actively seeking/reading/writing, its tiny sound is often masked by my laptop's fan noise with the fan running at its slowest speed. This product has a 3-year limited warranty, which is good, but not great since some hard drives have a 5-year warranty. There was a time not too long ago when all hard drives had a 5-year warranty as a de facto standard.

Also note that there are currently two versions of this 1-GB SSHD hard drive: the Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014 and the Seagate Superspeed Laptop 1TB SSHD Solid State Hybrid Drive STBD1000400. The "STBD1000400" model, what Seagate refers to as their "kit" version, has the standard retail box packaging and includes a warranty booklet. The "ST1000LM014" model has basic bare-drive packaging. But the hard drive is identical with both of these model numbers. Despite Seagate's confusing model numbering and advertising that mentions extra parts being included in the STBD1000400, there are no extra hardware parts included in the STBD1000400 kit. The STBD1000400 kit just has a nicer cardboard box and a printed warranty booklet, and you may discard the box after installing the hard drive anyway; that is the only difference between both model numbers. I usually interpret a hardware "kit" to mean that it also includes mounting screws or some kind of mounting bracket, but the STBD1000400's "kit" just means that its box looks better sitting on a store shelf. If you are considering between both of these models, just get whichever version is cheaper. At the time of this review's writing, the "ST1000LM014" model was about $15 cheaper than the "STBD1000400" model; but prices can change day by day on Amazon. I have seen the ST1000LM014's price range between $95 and $130 on Amazon, while the STBD1000400's price has fluctuated between $115 and $130; again, you get the exact same hard drive in both models.

I rely both on my own research and the opinions of others to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope that this review helped you to be a wise shopper! :)
5656 comments|575 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2015
Excellent SSHD! Had 3 months no problems! Loading speed is faster than regular HDD! Recieved before expected date! Used on PS4!!!
review image
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2013
I felt compelled to write a review specifically for how this drive performs as a replacement for the 500GB 5400RPM drive that comes stock in the Playstation 4. I'll explain why this is the best drive for what I feel are the three main points to consider: Storage space, speed, and price.

*Storage space - 500GB will not be enough space for this system in the long-run. The operating system and other mandatory installs take up just under 100GB of space on your drive. Games are now running at full 1080p resolution as well, which makes the game sizes enormous. Most games will take up between 20-50GB. Assuming you are left with about 400GB of usable space after the OS, that will allow approximately 20 games to be installed on your drive if the games are on the SMALL side. The actual amount of games you will be able to fit may be significantly less, as games like Killzone: Shadow Fall are about 40GB. The solution to this issue may be to uninstall games as your drive fills up, but this is inconvenient and you may want to play those games again. As hard drive technology evolves over the coming years, I could see a 2TB hybrid drive being a tempting purchase for myself.

*Speed - There is a LOT of misinformation in the reviews on the performance of this drive. Seagate advertises "SSD-like performance". This is simply not true. Solid state drives are drastically faster than both traditional hard disk drives and hybrid drives like this one. This hybrid drive can get close to solid-state speeds when it comes to certain tasks, thanks to Seagate's adaptive memory technology. Seagate's Adaptive Memory technology essentially allows the drive to "remember" tasks that are frequently performed, store the information for those tasks in the solid-state cache, and give impressive speeds for those tasks. Most often, these speed boosts will be noticeable in booting up your system, shutting down your system, installing software, and launching applications. I also have to say that the speed boost for these is much more apparent on a PC. For the actions I've just mentioned, you will see an improvement in performance if you were to do an A/B test with the stock drive, but it will not be mind-blowing like having a fully solid-state drive installed on a Windows 8 computer. While playing games on the PS4 with this hybrid drive installed, loading times may be decreased slightly, but again this will not be mind-blowing.

*Price - With what I've just explained in the speed portion of my review, you may be asking why I'd even bother recommending this drive as a replacement, let alone the BEST replacement for a PS4. The reason is price. No, the speed boost compared to a traditional HDD will not blow you away when used in a Playstation 4. Even if it isn't huge, the speed boost is definitely there, and the cost of this drive is comparable to traditional non-hybrid drives. A 1TB SSD will cost you around $600 at the moment. This makes this a no-brainer. In my opinion, given the size of "next-gen" game installs, it is completely necessary to upgrade to a 1TB drive (or larger in the future). With all things considered, as of the time this review is written, installing this in a PS4 just makes the most sense.
22 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2014
I purchased both a HGST 1TB 7200rpm "standard" drive as well as this 1TB hybrid. I timed Windows 7 startup using each drive to two points. (1) I automatically start windows task manager (so the 1st measured time is when that window displays). But at that point there are still many startup activities continuing. (2) The last consistent startup activity I see is a window showing an external mouse is being used (instead of the labtop's touchpad). When that window is displayed the windows startup seems complete--so that is my 2nd measured time. I have an older Dell Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz machine. Reported times are in min:sec.

I rebooted on the Seagate five times -- to allow the hybrid to "do its thing" and move data around.

To Task Mgr : to "mouse" message

1:24 : 2:47
1:06 : 2:20
0:59 : 2:19
0:59 : 2:16

So on my system the "optimized" hybrid performed only slightly better (during startup) than the 7200rpm drive.
77 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2013
So far this drive is working great in the PS4. It took no more than 5 minutes start to finish to install it in the PS4. You do need to have the latest software update from Sony on a usb stick (v1.5 at the time of this writing) after you replace the drive.
33 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2013
Just installed this into my new Playstation 4 and it works wonders. The OS boots up much faster now and the games load quick as well especially in-game, worth every penny.

Here's how to install it: [...]
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2014
I bought one of these many months ago to replace the internal drive in my MacBook Pro 17 inch i7. I noticed an immediate and significant speed up in all operations. I have since upgraded to Yosemite, and it's still running as smooth as can be. It is very quiet.

I bought another one to use with my Seagate Thunderbolt adapter for backing up my internal drive as a full clone. It has been functioning exactly as it should.

Under heavy use, my left palm rest might get a bit warm, but never uncomfortably so. The fans don't run any more than they used to with the stock drive, or the Western Digital 640 GB or 750 GB drives that successively replaced it. So far, this is my favorite hard drive ever.
review image
VINE VOICEon February 13, 2014
I was recently looking to upgrade my PS4 hard drive to 1 TB...while 500 GB was good enough to tide me over, I quickly realized that it wasn't going to last me too long with the typical backlog that I've had on my PS3 (it's only a matter of time).

So, I came across this drive...I was intrigued by the hybrid approach to SSD. For a typical PS4 game, the hybrid aspect should theoretically be enough to cover most applications before something else needs to be loaded in. I followed the instructions on Sony's website to change out and replace the hard drive (here, to save you time digging - MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR SAVED GAMES IF YOU NEED TO AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING THE LATEST FIRMWARE VIA USB FLASH DRIVE: [inexplicably, Amazon has removed a link to Sony's official website - just google "replace ps4 hard drive" and look for the US playstation support page and follow the instructions]). The only bummer, of course, is you have to go through the whole setup process but it seemed to go faster this time around.

At startup, the drive is noticeably (not dramatically) faster, but I'd say by a few seconds. That said, I've also noticed a couple of seconds shaved off on some game startups and getting back into the same game after pausing for whatever reason seems to be snappier too.

True, you can save yourself $30-$40 by going with a standard SATA drive, but I'm enjoying this drive nonetheless and I imagine that the solid state aspect of this hard drive aspect will be a little less wear and tear mechanically in the long run. That and the price isn't too bad. Highly recommended!

Until SSDs start hitting sizes/prices of conventional mechanical drives, this is a great low-cost alternative for now and works GREAT in a PS4. If you're not interested in this drive, keep in mind that you do need a 9.5-m/2.5-inch drive and, to date, I believe that 1 TB is the largest drive that you can find in that size option.

[Edit 2/15/14]
I'm loving this drive more and more. After having put my PS4 in standby twice, I was taken by surprise by the seemingly near-instantaneous firing up of the PS4 when it's turned on now. Having the mode cached in SSD makes it that much faster than a standard drive to wake the PS4 up. I'm also finding load times from checkpoints in-game to be faster as well. Top marks!