Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Is the Seagate 3 TB external HD compatible with the iMac and the Snow Leopard operating system?
asked by Susanne Karlak on August 2, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
Works just fine for me on Mac OS X Mountain Lion. I reformatted the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Time Machine works as expected.
Jonathan answered on November 27, 2012
Comment | 13 of 13 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No. It has a firmware bug that will cause it to unmount without warning and only remount with a power cycle. You can reformat it for OS/X, sure. And it will work while it is awake. But you're better off going with another manufacturer for OS/X as Seagate does not support OS/X properly.
Rob answered on October 11, 2012
Comments (2) | 17 of 20 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I haven't tried this one personally, but other reviews have stated that it works. Generally, with drives like this, you have to open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility on your mac, then re-format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). From there, it should just work, even with Time Machine.
ddragon answered on August 2, 2012
Comment | 10 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm using 2 of these drives on my brand new iMac as my iTunes library and a full backup of the library. Have had no issues and we have several apple tv's we are feeding 1080p videos to with them.
V. Watson answered on March 6, 2013
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
3TB works fine for Time Machine under 10.6.8. I bought two and swap drives periodically for back up safety.
MacMark answered on January 21, 2013
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Working flawlessly attached to our Time Capsule backing up an iMac and 2 MacBook Pros. We simply reformatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), connected it to our Time Capsule, and selected it as the back-up disk through Time Machine. That simple. Very happy with this external drive in our Mac-only ecosystem.
Boston Fan answered on March 8, 2013
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It works fine for me too. I have tried it directly and thru my network(hard drive connected to my router.) It's quite fast so most of the time I copy my files directly to the network drive and then pull it into my Macbook to watch or edit it.
Bluesky answered on December 22, 2012
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
i will quote Seagate support: It will work on Mac after reformatting it but it is not recommended. We have Mac products such as: ow.ly/tDY3A
Alan Kucheck answered on February 15, 2014
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product