Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50

Format: Blu-rayChange

After watching "Seal Team Six," I was a bit surprised to see the diversity in reactions to this well-intentioned teleplay. I didn't really expect to see glowing five star reviews, but nor did I anticipate the vitriol with which others would respond to this piece. Maybe it helps to know what you're getting into when approaching the DVD/Blu-ray release of "Seal Team Six." This is NOT the eagerly anticipated and critically lauded (and soon to be Oscar winning) film "Zero Dark Thirty" by Kathryn Bigelow. (Even that film, though, has its detractors despite unanimous critical acclaim). Instead, this straightforward docudrama was produced and aired by the National Geographic Channel. In no way does this constitute a definitive treatment of a difficult subject. It just boils down the main events of a rigorous manhunt into a earnest summary. It is a surface presentation of complicated events and judged on those terms, it works just fine.

This little film is loaded with TV friendly faces that you might recognize. Among the cast are Kathleen Robertson, Cam Gigandet, Anson Mount, Freddy Rodriguez, and Xzibit. The movie attempts to introduce the Navy SEALs responsible for this life changing raid. Much of the screenplay shows them interacting within their squad, but this footage is interspersed with confessional type sit-downs where each member of the cast gets a bit more personal with what they were thinking as the mission progressed. With Robertson, we see some of the behind-the-scenes moments that initiated the raid. Again, this is all presented in a documentary style that suits the lower budget of the project well.

If you have an interest in this topic (and who doesn't really?), "Seal Team Six" presents an entertaining enough overview. For its constraints and limitations, it is a nicely assembled film. My hesitation stems from the fact that there is a slight difference between watching something for free (or renting it cheaply) as opposed to purchasing it for your collection. Now that I have "Seal Team Six" on Blu-ray and have viewed it once, I'm not sure that it had the power or impact that will make me pull it out for a second look. I just wanted to weigh in with a more conservative perspective. If you anticipate that this treatment is the last word as an in-depth analysis of the subject, you might not be satisfied. Ultimately, for me, it didn't present much in the way of new information. But I did like the actors and the film's confessional documentary feel. KGHarris, 1/13.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
By Jim Clark, publisher, Lee County Courier, Tupelo, Mississippi

White House officials will not "confirm or deny" if Seal Team Six got it right or not.
There are a couple things we know they got wrong. None of the compound's children wandered outside as the Black Hawk's arrived on the scene like they did in the movie. Also Osama Bin Laden was shot in the head when he ducked his head out the doorway to see what was going on.
I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty, a film also about this successful Seal mission. But I suspect it's the better of the two knowing the actors involved and what some critics, I respect, have said.
But Seal Team Six is worth a watch while waiting for the other to arrive on DVD.
There's little doubt that this mission was what every Navy Seal has been trained for and more than willing to participate in.
The film mixes actors with real characters via news footage in a documentary style thriller. The CIA think they have located Bin Laden but clearly most operations can't be carried out on a hunch. The President does have to also weigh an unannounced attack on Pakistani soil.
I liked the peak inside of how Navy Seals lived and trained. At one point there is conflict between two of the Seals, basically because an older member of the unit, has been passed over, and made to answer to a younger unit commander. But regardless, of petty circumstance the men know they must show no show no sign of division as they carry out an impressive attack, which lasts less than 38 minutes.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2014
This is supposed to be based on a true story yet this movie follows a plot line that is slightly worse than what I did for my high school Spanish class video. Ok, ok, so they have a terrible plot and script to work with, maybe the actors can pull it out? Nope. Wrong. They're acting is even worse than the shoddy script-job. Like if you were to imagine hiring D-level actors (at best), dressing them up in cool military gear, handing them their lines while a stop watch counts down from 25 seconds, then snatching the lines away and saying ACTION! That would be an improvement to what I saw in this movie. That would actually be better.

So this movie follows SEAL team 6. Which for those of you who don't know, is like the Super team of Navy SEALS. Like they're really hardcore. Yet this movie makes them look like a bunch of 16 year old's fresh out of bootcamp with no concept of the word 'professionals.' In the beginning, they have a mountain pass scene where they're transporting these terrorist insurgents on foot and all of a sudden they take fire and don't know what to do and basically sit there.....kind of shooting back. Bad guys get killed, fights over. Then these 'normal afghans' show up out of nowhere and one of the Navy Seals gets the bright idea to run up to them to check em, even though the fight was over, he really didn't need to, and they could have just left. Surprise its a terrorist and she blows up her vest killing them both.

Like I said, 16 year olds out of bootcamp. Except even they would have probably made out better than these 'Seals.' BUT! This plot device gives the out-of-work writers that were hired for this not-movie (it wasn't even in theaters) a chance to sow bitterness and anger between the characters now. Which they try to do. Miserably. As even a 3 year old could predict, the (super skinny, 17 year old) leader of team 6 is not himself anymore after the terrible, totally avoidable female suicide bomber atrocity. He starts losing his edge and the other members see it. Typical "do you have a problem with me!?" allegation occurs, followed by even more cliche "yeah, I think you're weak. I think I make a better team leader than you. I think so, and [dead suicide vest seal guy] would have thought so too!"

Lame little hissy fit half mma/ jiu-jitsu fight occurs which is then broken up by the GENERAL! Uh oh! we're in trouble now. And the rest of the movie including killing Bin Laden is a blur because all I could think while watching this is Zero Dark Thirty did it SO MUCH BETTER.

Okay. I'll confess. The only reason I bought this was because I saw a scene on youtube where the only cool actor in this movie (mr. I should be the seal team captain) sees a super cute girl on base and basically charms the hell out of her with him being a badass navy seal and I wanted to see that scene in the movie. Imagine my shock when its not even in there! They cut it out! I paid $6 for nothing! Actually that's not true, I do listen to the soundtrack all the time because its really good. Its like a cross between inception and.... something.. good. But yeah please don't buy this movie. The hot girl scene is not even in there. I warned you.
on November 12, 2013
Political movie not even ab seal team 6
Democratic movie. Hated it. Trying to make obama look good. Looking for a good seal movie act of valor is 10x better. And lone survivir looks good out in jan 10
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2013
Bought this for my husband, everyone thought it was so great. My husband calls it an "Obama lover's soap opera".
on April 24, 2013
This movie left you feeling like this event was a non-event. Lack of character development. With the release of Zero Dark Thirty, it is very apparent this movie was a misfire.
on March 29, 2013
If the people making what was supposed to be an historical movie, the least a professional organization would do is just a little research. Otherwise you get the typical Holywood humbug, which in this case, we got. Beyond the obvious problems that have been alluded to here, some issues are glaring, at least to those of us who have served. A writer elsewhere pointed out that one does not refer to SEAL team members as "soldiers". That's a sin. Obviously another team member would not use that term to reference a fellow SAILOR, or OPERATOR. Also, SEALs are not part of a "squadron", which, as the other writer pointed out, is a British, primarily an SAS, term. SEALs are members of boat teams. Also, as picky as it may seem, when the LT Cmdr, or "Skipper" of the team, was wearing his Navy blues, he wore his jump wings below his "BUDweiser", or Trident. SEALS wear their Navy/Marine gold jump wings below their ribbons. There were also a number of other tactical problems, but too many to mention here, not the least of which, as others have mentioned, was way too much Obama/politics and not enough of the real part of the story of actually getting bin Laden. Suffice it to say that the acting, with the script and direction they had to work with, was fair.
on March 3, 2013
John Wayne move over! This is a nice shoot-em-up. Holds good until the end. Let down the gaurd on the egress(where most people get killed), where the thoughts of home must be forced back, because you must look for that one idiot, hideing in a closet, in a hay-stack, or in the latrine/drainage ditch. Other than that, it was a feel-good movie.
on September 22, 2013
The movie has three problems.

1) Inaccuracy: I've read and researched a lot about this event. Unfortunately too much of the movie just doesn't stack up. There are sources of information, even days after the event, that contradict what is shown on screen. For instance that the president played golf that day while they were executing the operation. Or that the helicopters used were secret stealth helicopters. They also don't go into any of the things we found out after such as the controversy of never showing Osama's body. Or that America left the doctor in Pakistan out to dry, for which he was subsequently jailed and tortured. Or that the seal team all died in a mysterious helicopter crash a year later.

2) The Politics: It starts off with clips that prop up Obama and edit clips out of context to make fun of Romney and other Republicans. I found that off putting from the start. Look, getting Osama was a good thing for America. Many people contributed that are both Democrat and Republican, both in Obama's Administration and during the previous one. This story is one for all Americans. So to re-write history to prop up Obama was bad enough, but to then to take it further political with denigrating views of Republicans sort of infused a certain feeling of propaganda. It certainly wasn't as blatant as the typical Michael Bay film, but it was unwelcome for something that is more of a documentary look at the event that America takes seriously.

3) The Experience: The acting was well done, certainly better than that of a movie I love, Act of Valor. So I give credit to the actors and the director. However, the execution of the story just didn't do it for me. I can't take too much away from the movie since it is supposed to be the retelling of an actual event. Events don't package up all nice and neat like a 2 hour movie does. And I don't want them to stretch or malign the truth any more than they already did. But in the end, it just felt like it was so-so.

I would recommend Act of Valor or even Black Hawk Down over this movie. I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty yet but anticipate it. I would only recommend this movie to fans of those three movies but not to the average movie goer. I think there are plenty of other movies that are more entertaining and plenty of other military style movies that are more accurate.
on January 31, 2013
I don't have many words to describe how horrible it is. The way this film was done was horribly off from some of the aspects that we know and what has been released. Maybe I'm just more critical being ex-military and an enthusiast. For being low budget I guess it's passable and gets to the point, but there are parts in here that makes you wonder why they put that part it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse