Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Color: Green|Size: Large|Change
Price:$125.00 - $100,000.00

on September 21, 2009
I ran this bag through the ringer and back. I've certainly used it in just some casual everyday traveling situations but this bag has been dropped, banged, smashed, drowned, and then some. It has survived white water rapids, torrential down pours, dry basting heats, gail force winds, and it's true test, airport baggage terminals. It has never missed a beat. I seriously cannot think of a bag that can withstand so much harshness and still keep everything inside safe and secure. I would say that if it did become damaged that i would certainly buy another one, but i honestly think this bag will out last me. [...]. I dare you to try and wear this bag out !!!!
on November 1, 2010
I've owned this bag for 1 year and have put it through every imaginable test short of holding it under water.

Pros
1) Above all, it hasn't let in a drop of water and that alone makes it worth the money.
2) The tubular and sturdy design creates an excellent weight distribution that sits comfortably on my shoulders.
3) The waist strap that's easily rolled up and tucked away makes day to day use easier.
4) It doesn't have much in the way of external pocket space but I've been amazed at how much I manage to fit in the small bag.
5) "Ladder" on the front is a great place for attaching flashing rear lights (when on a bike) and other loose items
6) The roll top and single piece design allow you to pack in groceries and leave it open to prevent smashing items together (as would be necessary with a zipper design)

Cons
1) Shallow front pocket
2) When packed full, retrieving items at the bottom of the pack can turn into a deep sea diving adventure

Overall
A definite A+
on May 24, 2011
I have always liked and trusted Seal Line products. I own a couple of their other dry bags and even after years of extreme abuse, they have always kept my gear nice and dry. Their excellent choice of materials and quality construction is head and shoulders above the rest, in my opinion, and it seems the Urban Backpack is no different.

First off, I bought a Large Size pack and was amazed at how roomy it is. This pack has more cubic inches of room than my soft frame camping backpack. I could see how my solo tent and sleeping bag, with all of my other gear could fit in there, nicely. The other great feature about this pack is how comfortable it is to wear. With so many ways to adjust the different straps and the well padded back, you are sure to create the perfect fit. To me, this is so important when you want a pack that you will use everyday or when you anticipate carrying it for long periods of time. The bottom is augmented with an extra tough material so you can set the pack down on rocks without worrying too much about abrasion or tearing. There is even a removable insert inside that protects your back from getting poked by whatever you are carrying. The Urban Backpack has a nice balance and tends to sit upright when empty, making packing a snap. The materials are top quality, and there are even some reflector tape areas on the back, for when you use this pack when riding a bike.

I primarily bought this pack for carrying my camera gear and keeping it dry and dust free, but find myself using it all the time. So far, I am not disappointed in the least. If you are wondering why you should spend over $100.00 on a pack, consider how versatile and roomy these packs really are and how they will protect your gear from water, sand and dust. Any adventurer will agree that keeping your clothing and other gear clean and dry gear is worth any price.
on August 22, 2010
I purchased this bag specifically for a trip to Europe, but also use it as a messenger bag in New York. I love how it shrinks or grows depending on how much stuff you put inside, and that I fit everything for 3 weeks abroad (shoes, weeks worth of clothes, video and still cameras, computer, various electronics, papers and books) inside. It has proved to be completely rain-proof, though I have not tested its water-tightness by dropping it in water. I also purchased the organizer, which is pretty much necessary for anyone carrying papers, pens, coins or other small things that can get lost in the bottom of the bag. It works well, but should have been included.

I will say that when stuffed to the brim, a lot of tension is placed on the shoulder straps, which are the weakest part of the bag's construction. The straps themselves and their connection to the bag have held up fine, but three stitched sections on the shoulder cushion have become separated from the strap that holds it to the bag.

I have gotten many compliments on the bag (mostly, "wow, that is a COOL bag") and it is extremely convenient. I recommend it to anyone who bikes in all-weather situations, or is traveling abroad and don't want to be immediately recognized as a backpacking tourist with a giant internal frame camping pack.
on May 1, 2009
Having a fully waterproof pack for your gear can't be fully appreciated until you find yourself in a downpour without one. Seal Line/Cascade Designs recently redesigned the suspension and improved the comfort of the top straps, and this pack carries much more comfortably compared to its first generation predecessors. The only downer is that the points at which the webbing attaches to the vinyl pack aren't especially reinforced, allowing for some seam fraying over heavy use, possibly leading to strap failure. I've only ever seen it happen once though, under admittedly harsh and perhaps unrealistic circumstances.
on July 27, 2014
Appears to be well made with the tough 600 denier, with light-medium weight straps and top clip. The interior also appears to be sealed nicely, ergo waterproof.

Problem is, as you may notice there are no buckles at the top lip to tighten down the rolls to make sure the bag is waterproof. In addition, the clip only has three fixed positions/lengths, with no ability to cinch it down tightly as a means to make the rolls waterproof capable.

In the end I plan to return this bag and instead get another Seal Line bag with a buckle lip (and for $60 cheaper). Notice the bag title: "Urban" Backpack---I think this bag is more of a strictly style choice than functional one. So my recommendation is that if you want a truly waterproof bag I'd look to a different Seal Line (unless you're just really in love with the look of this bag).
on April 20, 2016
This is bar none the best bag I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of bags—six have come and gone in the time I've had this one. I got it in 2010 and not one piece of it has broken, failed, or even worn to the point of looking bad. That's frankly incredible, because I've taken this thing everywhere: planes, trains, and automobiles; into forests, jungles, and snow; up mountains and down to the beach. It's survived typhoons, snowstorms, boulders, and baggage handlers, and I still use it daily for getting groceries and holding essentials while I'm on my bike. It's designed for cycling, so it's no surprise that it really shines as a bike bag: it's aerodynamic, well-ventilated, and doesn't move around. It also has the obligatory reflective accents and loops for attaching blinkers. Best of all, it's just big enough to hold my helmet (Bern Unlimited Brentwood Summer Helmet with Flip Visor, Matte Black, Large/X-Large).

It doesn't look comfortable, but it distributes weight so well that you can wear it for hours without pain or fatigue. The small size is plenty big for daily life (the large looks pretty absurd unless you're a bike messenger), and holds enough clothes and gear for a weekend trip. I love the grey color. If you care what others think—let's be honest, we all do, no matter what we may tell ourselves—this bag is a compliment magnet. Supermarket cashiers have admired its ability to swallow up a whole basket's worth of oddly shaped groceries, and random dudes have approached me on the street, in stores, and at airports to ask about it.

The only con is that there's no internal organization: it's just one big tubular sack, and finding and retrieving things can be a tragicomic struggle when the bag is fully packed. But what's the human experience itself if not a tragicomic struggle? You'll get over it.

If you've read this far, just get one—you'll be glad you did.
on September 7, 2015
I love my bag so much, everyone says I look like a ninja with it. Totally water proof, and it's a little bigger than you prob think. Also if you're a big person, as in muscular shoulders and back, I would recommend looking towards something else it gets. Bit annoying when I wear many layers. The straps could be a lot better. For all you regular non-bulky people, it's great.
on July 4, 2013
I use this for rainy days when I am walking to work and everything stays bone dry. I took one star off as the green coloring as come off and bled through my rain coat onto the white walking shirt that I wear going into work. This was the correct size for me, the large was huge.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2011
Waterproof, rugged & manly backpack; a head-turner at the beach & in the train. It doubles as a king-size travel pillow at the train & at the beach. Both the straps & the neoprene handle were able to support the +20lbs. load of beach gear to the Jersey Shore train commute this weekend. The backpack straps were comfortable to use. It has a sternum & waist straps which are both important features I look for whenever I shop for backpacks. For a large 37-liter bag, I wish that the waist strap was a little more bigger but in fairness it held the bag in place even after a quick jog to catch the train. The back foam cushion helped padded it against my spine making it easy to lug my gear. Easy to dust off the sand from the bag. Very tempted to toss the bag into the water to test it's waterproof feature. lol! I'll save that for next time.

To me this is a 3.5 star rated product but Amazon doesn't allow half-star rating. I would've given an additional full star except for these nuances I noticed while using it this weekend at the beach:

- No inner pockets/compartments. Have to buy the organizer separately.
- It's one big compartment with a black lining so it's very difficult to look for items in the bag even under the bright sun at the beach. Every time you dig through the bag you would need to re-organize everything just to close it back again properly.
- The almost useless front pouch could only fit documents & small thin items. The material has no give. But that's the price I guess of having the backpack made of waterproof material.
- Always have to push the air out of this roll-top backpack just to be able to close it properly when it's packed. Wish there was a way just to be able to let the air out without compromising it's waterproof properties.

I'm planning to order the Sealline modular attachments for this bag to make it more useful & practical. For the price of this bag, it should've come included already. This single compartment backpack is not exactly as cheap as a Jansport daypack.
review image