Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sean Kingston
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 7, 2007
17 year old Sean Kingston (Kisean Anderson) is rather cute, he doesn't look like the average singer. A bit heavy, but showing his charm by always smiling. He's from Florida but his family is Jamaican and it's said that his uncle is Buju Bunton, Kingston himself uses both American and Jamaican accent. On his debut album he hooks up with producer Jonathan Rotem that produces most of the album. The sound is a mix between reagge, hip hop, doo woop and dancehall. Rotem uses alot of samples, on the superhit "Beautiful Girls", currently at #1 he samples Ben E King's "Stand By Me" but he uses the sample better then most people that sampled it in the past. Kingston sings about beautiful girls but he'll get suicidal when it's over. Particulally the use of the word "suicidal" for "very sad" is hard not to notice. "Me Love" that samples Zeppelin's "D'yer Mak'er" is another great summer smash while "I Can Feel It" samples Phil Collins "In The Air" but with less catchyness. On "There's Nothing" we'll find Paula DaAnda appearing, as one of very few guest appearences here. It's actually the sample-heavy commercial feel good songs that works best where Kingston uses his Jamaican accent and show his incredible charm. The more hardcore Hip Hopish songs where he sings in American-English are not as fun, Like the song "Drummer Boy" or "Kingston" or the annoying "I Ain't Got No Short" but thankfully those songs are in minority. There are 13 songs and a bonus remix of "Colours". What makes this album fun is the hybrid of feel good sound and catchy wordplay on lyrics. It may not be original but compared to simular artists, Kingston is here to have fun and not to get respect and as catchy as the music is, it's hard not to like it. Question is, if anyone will remember him in 2 years?.
55 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2014
At first, I didn't get into Sean Kingston in summer 2007 because I thought he wasn't really going anywhere. If I can tell an artist won't be here in 2 or 3 years, I won't get into them.

But Sean Kingston was iller than expected. He took some tropical music and made a niche for himself. There aren't really too many people like him in the game, and this is about as close as I get to reggaeton right now.

His music is vibrant, hooky, and filled with exuberant lyrics. I don't want to say listen to this while you're on vacation, but it will most likely set the mood.

1) Intro- no rating

2) Kingston- This is kind of an intro track. It sounds like you're in danger. I've never listened to the full cd before, and I don't like the pace of this song. 2 out of 5

3) Take You There- The third single. I like the pace of this song much better. I always say artists are at their best when they're singing, but it's the whole truth. When they make hooky music, the cd is 5 star. You can definitely kick back to this song. One of the best on the whole cd. 5 out of 5

4) Me Love- The second single. Here's a summery single for you. You can sip rum and feel the sand between your toes here. If Sean keeps this up, it's a 5 star cd. It is virtually flawless. Nice and hooky. 5 out of 5

5) Beautiful Girls- The first single. I remember this song from summer 2007. I couldn't escape this hook, or Me Love. All three of these songs are hits, and I recommend basking in the sunshine when listening to them. They can make you lose depression if you're having it. Give these three songs a try if you are new to Sean Kingston. 5 out of 5

6) Dry Your Eyes- Here is a smooth album cut. Those are when the song's not a single, but is as good or better. It's not a summer hit, but it's still pretty catchy, and Sean doesn't lose his step. He is trying to give you different moods. 5 out of 5

7) Got No Shorty- I think this is kind of a jive track. The beat is kind of simple. Try this song out if you are in a zealous mood. When everything is going good for you, this will be a smash. I think this could have been a B side single. 5 out of 5

8) There's Nothin'- The fourth single. Sometimes this happens. An artist will have bomb stead singles, but when it comes to other songs on the cd, they kind of, well, tank. So far this looks like that. If Sean would have kept the pace of songs 3, 4 and 5, it would be 5 star. This song is a hit, and it's pretty catchy. It's a first or second listen. Summer hit. 5 out of 5

9) I Can Feel It- This song has been way past overdone. Sean knows what he's doing however. It's a night time song, which provides different vibes. Like the original song, it's a song that sounds like being on the move. 5 out of 5

10) Drummer Boy- Here's a gritty track. It's basically mean mug music. I think Sean needs to drop this completely and do summer music like he's supposed to. 50 Cent can pull this off but I think this is off kilter. 2 out of 5

11) Your Sister- Here's a better song. I was kinda wondering if Sean could make good album cuts. It's pretty hooky. Forbidden fruit is the topic, and surely you've had someone that was just that to you. If more songs are like this, it could be a 5 star. 5 out of 5

12) That Ain't Right- Well here is a more serious track. At least it sounds that way. I don't really like the vibe of this song. It sounds like an "I want money, I don't have time for you" song. If you don't have to relate to a song to like it, you'll enjoy it. 5 out of 5

13) Change- I think it's the most left field song on the cd. Bone Thugs has covered this before. Sean Kingston sounds like Akon also. I'm not feeling this. 2 out of 5

This album is hard to put a finger on. I really wanted an album full of tracks like #3, 4 and 5. But Sean had to show the different moods. He is at his best when he does summery tropical songs.

Most of the time they are pretty hooky as well. The summery songs are Take You There, Me Love, Beautiful Girls, Your Sister, There's Nothin' and Got No Shorty.

Got No Shorty is a very different kind of song. You will probably hate the first time you listen to it, but if you like to party and are feeling wasted and this song comes on, I think you'll dig it. Most of the cd is party music.

Pros:Tracks 3-5. Your Sister.There's Nothin. That Ain't Right and Dry Your Eyes are moody.

Cons:The mean mug music doesn't work that well and bogs down the cd.

Great Music to Play While: Hanging With Friends
on April 30, 2013
Some of my favorite music is 70's or classical but I appreciate a wide range. I liked the Beautiful Girls track the most. Sean Kingston seems like a sweet boy but this album makes him sound like he thinks of himself as a tough guy. I felt like a lot of the lyrics just were not -him-. I especially didn't like the self-promotion of the first 2 tracks. It felt awkward and made me like him less.
I did really like the reggae sound that some of the songs had.
on May 3, 2014
I bought this at a discount. I never seemed interested in his music when it first was released but I was pleased at this album. It has a little more maturity and grit to than what the lead single "Beautiful Girls"
on June 20, 2009
Sean Kingston has a unique sound on this CD. Almost all of the songs are good. It is upbeat but not too wild. I really enjoy this CD.
on August 5, 2007
You know, when I first heard the "Beautiful Girls" song, I thought it was catchy... cool song. Then I saw Kingston on the Today show and I thought "cool, maybe this kid will be then next Prince Buster." Kid had a band, a double bass, and all the players were to the nines...

Man, was I wrong. I've listened to most of this album. I know a lot of people have pointed out that "Beautiful Girls" is a rip from "Stand by Me", and they're right... but the song's good enough that I can overlook that. The rest of the album though... Rip off...
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2008
When I first heard "Beautiful Girls" on the radio, I was like, "Who is this butchering Ben E. King's `Stand by Me'?" Then I saw the video, and after I looked at Sean Kingston, I asked, "What's Kenan Thompson doing singing?" All jokes aside, Sean's self-titled album is, well, okay.

I hate to admit it, but "Beautiful Girls" actually grew on me (although I don't understand why MTV blocked out "suicidal" yet they had no problem playing "I had to shoot him dead" from Maroon 5's "Wake Up Call"). Anyway, "Me Love" is pretty interesting too. But when you listen to the album as a whole and especially when you hear Sean talking, you'll realize he's trying to pull a Shaggy: only PRETENDING to have a Jamaican accent (although to his credit, he did spend much of his preteen years living in Jamaica).

But back to the album. There are a lot of missteps on here, like the annoying "Got No Shorty" and the confusing (and aptly titled) "That Ain't Right". "I Can Feel It" lazily borrows Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight", and you would get slapped silly if you ever sang "Your Sister" to a girl; speaking of hard-to-relate-to songs, "Take You There" talks about touring his girl around violent neighborhoods. And Paula DeAnda outshines Sean on "There's Nothin".

There are also a couple of songs that don't go anywhere: "Drummer Boy" and the obligatory we-are-the-world song, "Change". And the final track, "Colors" (a revamped version of an independent track Sean did), is an incoherent mess of a song featuring Kardinal Offishall and Vybz Kartel. You have no business buying Sean Kingston's album if you're over the age of eighteen, so if anything, only buy it as a birthday present for your little sister.

Anthony Rupert
on June 9, 2009
he is one of my favorite singers i bought this cd and ive been putting it on the computer and listening to it over and over it is so good. he is awesome i cant wait for his new cd to come out in august!
on August 22, 2013
For me being part West Indies, i find that Sean Kingston has a great vibe when it comes to his music. Makes the Caribbean people a proud race. Keep it up.
on September 2, 2011
I can't even listen to Kingston's other songs beacuse this is truley the best JR Rothem sick beats make this one a keeper