Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on March 26, 2013
I'm a professional website developer, and have been in this business since 1999. I've always found doing search engine optimization to be distasteful, mostly because of the old black-hat practices of trying to trick search engines into giving one's website better placement in search engine results pages ("SERPS") than it really deserves. I've studied SEO for several years, and have read all sorts of books and articles about SEO that are excessively technical and ultimately useless. I've invested in high-end SEO software to harvest and analyze all sorts of metrics, and found that it's barely worthwhile. The entire practice of trying to game Google's algorithms and cheat one's way to the top of SERPS placement is constantly changing and is a losing game. The best case scenario, where one's website gets top placement using these schemes for a while, almost always ends in the site getting severely penalized by Google once Google catches on to the fact that it's been tricked.

This book offers a simple reality check and sets forth a practical, clear method that anyone can use to make his or her website worthy of an excellent SERPS placement. This book is an essential first step in anyone's SEO campaign. Whether you're a website developer or a business that owns and manages a website, the knowledge simply and clearly outlined in this book is essential before you even shop for an SEO consultant, since in my expert opinion 95% or more of the entire SEO industry is comprised of unsavory tricksters and scam artists. This book can help its reader cut through all the loads of crap out there and either approach SEO as a DIY craft or hire competent, white-hat SEO service providers who can help make a website more truly worthy of excellent SERPS placement by improving the quality and usefulness of the site's content and creating truly useful inbound links to the site from relevant industry peers.

I still don't specialize in SEO, per se, although I do include all the basic SEO-friendly structure and tools in every website I create. When my clients ask me what to do to improve their SERPS placement, or ask me for a referral to an SEO specialist, I invariably send them a link to this book. The modest price of this book can easily save you thousands of dollars or even more that could be lost to scam artists or incompetent SEO services. Most of the actual work in SEO is best done by the business that owns the website, and is not technical at all in terms of website development. Good SEO methods are more akin to traditional marketing and networking than to any arcane coding or secret black website development art, and this book shows the way, a way that anyone with enough dedication can follow.

Doing effective search engine optimization is still generally a lot of work, but it's dangerous to even talk to anyone seriously about it without at least getting familiar with the basic knowledge contained in this book.
on July 4, 2013
Ironically, the first thing the author points out is that this book is NOT for dummies. In the first few pages, he actually says that you need to be able to write html code to use the book!
Well, I bought the book so that I could learn how to write the simple code required to optimize a site for search engines. I wanted to learn how to create tags, not read endlessly about what they can do (if you learn html from the HTML for Dummies book that he promotes).The text is terrifically long-winded too, as if he was being paid by the word. He repeats everything in slightly different phrasing, without delivering much hard info. The book could have given us a brief lesson in html and still been about a quarter as long as it is. To take time out from my business marketing for this was extremely disappointing, and quite annoying.
on December 5, 2012
SEO, I can hardly type that without falling asleep.

That said, this books (which I've read by now, but not tried to implement it's recommendations) seems full of solid advice, logically presented so that you can understand the rationale behind it.

Sources, techniques, sites are referenced throughout that should provide the beginner and probably even someone who's been doing SEO related tasks for awhile a goodly amount of resources.

The author also includes examples of "case studies" that's he's run into in the past that show perspective on trying to get a site to perform well on the web.

For the price, readable and well worth it.
on October 27, 2012
I tried different SEO books but really did not understand as much as I did with this book, written by Peter Kent. A must have book if you are a newbie and want to learn the SEO trade. Great book.
on February 10, 2013
This book is well-written, easy to follow, and leads you through the twists and turns of a mysterious subject in a very friendly manner. I know so much more than I used to know. And I even know much of what I don't know. But now I know how to find that out.
on March 31, 2015
This is a terrific guide to SEO! It has a direct, easy to read, occassionally funny style that presents the reader with essential info and without loading the pages with a lot of useless fluff as so many books do. It covers a lot of ground including marketing and other related topics. There might be better and more technical books on the subject, but this one beats the living daylights out of "Epic Content Marketing" & "Guerilla PR Wired" combined without breaking a sweat for helping webmasters get their sites noticed.

I'm glad I didn't let my previous experience with a LOUSY "Idiot's Guide" book related to small business or e-commerce didn't prevent me from reading this. Where the other book was loaded with useless fluff, this one delivered far more than expected based on it’s title. Combine this with “E-commerce: Get it Right”, and “Get Rich Click!”, and you’ll know pretty much everything you need to about running a successful e-store.
on May 6, 2015
The book was definitely informative. My purpose for reading the book was to familiarize myself with SEO so that I could have a somewhat competent conversation with a SEO company if I choose to use one for my business or to be able to perform some of the simpler tasks myself. This book definitely accomplished this and then some. I would recommend it.
on June 27, 2014
I know this sounds silly, but this book that is 'dummed' down, is still way over my head. Those of us old enough never to have gotten any computer in school are at a disadvantage.
on December 21, 2013
1) the book is waaaay too long. he 'teases' you along to another chapter and another chapter - INSTEAD: cover the ENTIRE topic in one place....one time! 2) the book could have been 1/4 the length (so it wasted my time) 3) his graphics are so 'grey' colored that they won't even show up on kindle and they are almost impossible to see in print as well. DO NOT ORDER THIS BOOK ON KINDLE. The 'pages' he 'shows' for examples are so lightly colored you can't see them . 4) I ordered the print version in order to be able to 'see' the layouts and samples (so bought it twice ! ugh !) I knew nothing about SEO before. It does give some basics,but he could do it quicker, more upfront, and concise. It was 'wading through crap' in this book and I am still upset ! Took too long and too much repetition in a later chapter - yeah, got THAT ALREADY don't tell me again and then FINALLY at the very end 5) you get FREE SITES - including Google themselves where you can get this information for free (and probably more clearly than this DUMMY DID. buying this book is for dummies.........grrrrrrrrr !!!
on January 10, 2013
Do I need to say more? It's an easy read and worth the money. If you need to improve your search engine ratings, read this and you may save a few thousand dollars.