5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know about SEO...
Published on June 8, 2011 by Finn

2.0 out of 5 stars For total beginners only.
Being quite an adept of the an hour a day collection (I also read PPC and Affiliate Program Management), this book was such a deception. It remains superficial during the entire 300 pages.
As a profesional of the industry, I believed I could strengthen my global knowledge, or maybe fill some gaps..the truth is I lost 3 hours of my time and 20$.
As soon as it...
Published on May 17, 2012 by Tomatico

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know about SEO..., June 8, 2011
Finn (Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Search Engine Optimization (SEO): An Hour a Day (Paperback)
As an seo consultant this book has played a HUGE role in helping me acquire the knowledge of seo i have today. I was a virtual seo newbie when i got this, my job requirements as an internet and ecommerce manager had been changed to include seo techniques and practices and i was more than a little worried that my ignorance of the subject would be found out, but by the time i'd read this twice i practically felt like i'd been involved in seo for years (yes, the transition was that smooth).

Here are my thoughts on this book.

Search engine optimization: an hour a day is a great read for anyone who wants to know all about SEO. It's a well structured book that takes you by the hand, one step at a time, and leads you through everything from the basic fundamentals to the most advanced SEO techniques used by seasoned professionals. It's incredibly detailed, maybe too detailed, from the fundamentals of keyword and website analysis to paid advertising, so much that at times it seems it's a little more information than you can handle all at once(especially for an seo newbie).

I've read reviews that said it was too wordy but i think the book was meant to be taken a little at time, especially by newbies, not just rushed and digested in a single reading. You need to practice the techniques a little at a time to really grasp the importance of each. The fact that the book uses scenarios from real businesses as examples for readers to follow helps to give people who are unfamiliar with the whole SEO concept a clearer picture of what the authors are talking about.

The text and language of the book is easy enough to understand. The tools and resources mentioned throughout the book and especially at the end are very useful for anyone who's interested in keeping up to date with the ever changing rules of seo.

Another invaluable resource that really makes me feel this book is worth it's weight in gold is the third part which outlines a detailed 3 month seo plan to get your website to the top of the search engines for your chosen keywprds. Believe me it works! I know because i use it all the time for many of my clients. If you want to get your website to the top of the search engine rankings, "Search engine optimization: an hour a day" is all you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a primer and a reference to go back to, November 29, 2006
I've worked on SEO for numerous web sites with our company [...] over the course of the past few years. Since I started doing this, I haven't found a book that was so well written and easy to follow for those becoming acquainted with this progressively sophisticated topic, while retaining value as a reference you can go back to as a consultant or an end user wanting to tackle specific aspects of Search Engine Optimization.

"Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day" reminded me of the excellent book "Search Engine Visibility" written by Shari Thurow back in 2002, with the benefit that this one was edited in 2006, so it is more current than the classic SEO reference by Thurow in that respect. As someone who has worked on SEO and reviewed almost all the books on the topic, I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth your time and money, August 9, 2006
I run my family's manufacturing business in Illinois and am not an SEO professional. I am, however, very interested in growing our business through web marketing (SEO and SEM). That makes me, I believe, exactly the sort of reader the authors intended to reach with their book.

SEO: An Hour A Day is well organized, consistent in thought and style and filled with great information. In some cases they confirmed information I had read elsewhere (which can be very helpful in itself) ... and in other cases taught me new things I did not know. The authors do a great job of making the subject fun and interesting. My sincere belief is that any business owner (large or small) who is interested in growing their business using the power of the internet should read this book. In fact, this is a great first book to pick up because it starts at the beginning and builds from there. It is also a great starter because the authors are gracious enough to direct you to additional sources they consider to be authoritative.

As an added bonus, I went to the authors' website and asked a question ... and received a great personal reply the next day. It is obvious to me the authors not only know their subject and have a real interest in it, but also enjoy sharing that knowledge with others.

Long story short: You would be wise to spend the time and money on the book ... I think you will find it is worth the investment.

Aaron

P.S. The only reason I gave the book 4 of 5 stars and not 5 of 5 is I am reluctant to give anything a perfect score. I never received any perfects in school and now I'm taking it out on them ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Primer for SEO, November 21, 2006
I've been an Amazon.com customer for years and this is my first review. This is a great SEO book and is worth every cent. It is easy to follow, not too techy and has a lot of valuable information for the do it yourself SEOer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning The Black Art of SEO, September 18, 2011
As said by other reviewers on this page, SEO: An Hour A Day is a must have.

I first heard about SEO last year. After having had my own site for my art, for many years, I was pressed into action to build a new site for a new family business. Thats when I started hearing about a lot of new jargon and things that made my poor little artist's head ache. I had all sorts of strange people emailing and phoning me offering to sell me services to improve my SEO? What's that? I though they meant that they could make me the CEO. It was then that I was then told that SEO is some kind of black art so I knew then that I had to find out more.

I agree that if your are completely new to web development and business some of the buzz words, marketing and technical speak can seem a bit foreign, but coming from a world where art speak prevails, I have managed to wade through these to get to the practical instructions. As an old colleague said to me years ago: "if fine art printmaking was easy everybody would be doing it". I would say that the same is true with a new subject such as SEO, making this book a great guide in deciphering the black art.

Not only does SEO: An Hour A Day explain how to use keywords and meta descriptions, it also encourages the use of better copy, therefore making your website (and the web in general) a more interesting and user friendly place to visit.

Stephen Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great book!, September 9, 2008
Search Engine Optimization is a complicated process made so by the fact that Google, the number one search engine, has successfully kept its algorithms a deep, dark secret and continues to do so.

The book is divided into three parts: 1) Foundation, 2) Strategy and 3) Your SEO Plan. Foundation stresses the need to thoroughly understand what you want your website to do for you. Some people want to promote their businesses; but a surprising number just want to provide reliable information or publicize a provocative blog. Once you know what you want, you can start thinking about how to tailor your approach to SEO to meet those goals. Several downloadable worksheets are referred to, and the explanations on how to use them and how they are interrelated are clear and logical.

Many who read this book will be optimizing their own websites; but for those who are fortunate enough to have colleagues on whom they can draw, a number of suggestions for how to obtain their willing assistance are offered. There also is a 50-page chapter devoted to a four week plan on how to get ready to implement your SEO Plan.

The Plan itself covers three months and includes a systematic method for accomplishing the most important optimization tasks in the first instance, and then establishing the habit of checking them regularly thereafter.

At the rate of one hour per day, the average reader should be able to implement the entire program in four months, which is the intent of the book. Those who are more experienced at SEO may be able to complete the program in less time. Four months may seem like a long time, but as I said at the beginning, it is complicated. There is much to remember; and because the Internet doesn't stand still, neither can the SEO process. Although there were a couple of URLs that no longer worked, the authors responded promptly to my e-mail asking for their assistance after I pointed this out to them.

On a final note, I need to say that I couldn't disagree more with the reviewer who thought the book was "poorly organized." Quite to the contrary, it is well organized and well-thought out. I warmly commend it to all who want to increase their Web presence.

Bruce Hoag, PhD
Co-author Managing Value-based Organizations: It's Not What You Think (New Horizons in Management Series)
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Open, Grounded Explanation of SEO, April 16, 2012
Really liked this book. It was written so even a non-programming novice can grasp the concepts of SEO. I especially liked the approach: to keep quality content the number one focus, and not write specifically to SEO.. and the explanation on why that is a better approach. The search engines are a constantly changing dynamic, and this book does a great job explaining why, and what direction they are moving in, as well as tips, guides and tools on how to maximize search engines finding your own site.

2.0 out of 5 stars For total beginners only., May 17, 2012
As soon as it gets interesting, it just skips the details missing the good points.
A good part of the linkbuilding strategy presented here is also outdated since google last update penguin.
The exageratetly educational tone made me feel totally stupid and make one idea occupy an entire page.
I really don't understand why it gets such a good feedback.
I think PPC's book of the same collection by David Szetela will give you more insight on keyword strategy and will at last be more useful for SEO even if it's not its purpose.
I would say it may be interesting for a shopkeeper who wants to go online for the first time and knows absolutely nothing about SEO.
Any other case, save your 20$ for dinner and go get real SEO fact on search engine land for example

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific piecemeal approach to a really dry topic, June 25, 2006
What could be more tedious than SEO? This book makes the process a lot less awful, however, and I'm really happy with its digestible morsels -- the "hour a day" approach has allowed me to take some positive, effective steps that normally, I would have just dismissed. The information is not outdated (as books of this type sometimes are) and the language is free of annoying acronyms and geeky jargon. I'm halfway through the book and am thrilled with it. I've been able to take some really helpful steps toward optimizing my place in search engine results at last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight-forward and easy-to-use, July 7, 2006
Having worked with one of the authors on a project with a mutual client, I was anxious to read this book - would it be as easy to follow and as insightful as working with them directly? The answer is a resounding YES! It is like having 24/7 access to an expert in the field... without the embarassment of asking seemingly silly questions with equally obvious answers.

While anyone working in web design and production these days will probably agree that SEO is an ever-changing monster we all must court, and one we never fully enjoy even for brief flirtations, this book and its simple, straight-forward guidelines, suggestions and advice will help beginners and experts alike remember, understand, and maybe even appreciate the finer points of what it takes to help your business and web sites make an impact on the web.

For those of us who can not afford SEO seminars (even 30 minute ones), and who are up to the challenge of wrestling with such dry subject matter (as SEO can be), this book is a great way to learn what it takes to make your business and your web sites stand out above the rest.

Search Engine Optimization (SEO): An Hour a Day
Search Engine Optimization (SEO): An Hour a Day by Gradiva Couzin (Paperback - January 11, 2011)
$29.99 $20.83