Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 15, 2013
that I would have wanted any recording of his music. I can't say that this recording was that exceptional other than it was available! I played it so many times that it resonates with me throughout the day. After repeated listenings I realized his lyrics are so poignant and still on the mark. It's a miracle that he has finally resurfaced.
on April 19, 2014
I bought this after watching the movie. It's a little dated production wise. I recall a bit of the era. Like when I bought Let It Be and wondered, "What the hell?" I was 10. Still adding instrumental background is a little weird in this day and age when we celebrate the raw power of the voice and guitar. But it hardly matters. The songs are powerful. The lyrics amazing. And this guy's story is tremendous. Watch the film. I listened to the entire thing driving around in my weathered 74 Super Beetle. Both windows rolled down. It was perfect.
on September 24, 2014
I grabbed this after seeing the movie. It is a solid set. He's a fine performer and I'm with the movie writer in wondering how he can be such a hit elsewhere and barely known in the U.S.

I find a couple of the songs not quite up to the high level of most, but I listen to this regularly.
on September 23, 2012
The only reason to purchase this CD, and not the two CDs it's culled from, is if you only want a greatest-hits collection. On that basis, it's okay. They could have put more songs on it, and I personally would have switched some songs to make it more balanced between the two albums (it's tilted towards the songs off of "Cold Fact") but, hey, you can't go wrong with the purchase of any Rodriguez album.

The reason I got it was because I didn't have the three extra tracks included on the Light In The Attic CD of "Coming From Reality." As the CD in question was (hopefully temporarily) out-of-print, I got this instead, which also includes the three, post-"Coming From Reality," songs.

The tracks are well-paced. The booklet contains some great, and probably rare, photos of Rodriguez.

The bottom line is, if you're just becoming interested in this singer/songwriter, this is as good of a place to start as any. Any fan of folk-rock, or of such early '70s singer-songwriters as Carole King, James Taylor or Paul Simon will probably instantly fall in love with Rodriguez. Yet, due to his subject matter, his songs will appeal to fans of Lou Reed as well.

Hopefully the next Rodriguez album will be of all-new material.
on August 10, 2012
Nearly everyone goes on and on about how Dylan-esque Sixto is, but this simplifies things a bit. To me, he's more like the artists INFLUENCED BY Dylan, not Dylan himself--Country Joe McDonald, Arthur Lee and, more than anybody else I've ever heard, Tom Rapp of Pearls Before Swine. In fact, I think he does the Tom Rapp style better than Tom Rapp (who can sometimes, to my ears, be a little annoying).

I'm originally from the Detroit area and can't believe I never heard of Rodriguez until press from the documentary came out. I mean, how was I aware of the most esoteric nonsense and yet hadn't heard "Cold Fact"??? Another instance of the strange magic, or reverse magic, of the music industry.
on March 15, 2016
It's a shame this guy never achieved the fame he so rightly deserved because these songs are excellent! I've played this cd about four times and the songs really say something; it really takes me back in time to when I was growing up back in the sixties and seventies, as they reflect the times so well: an era I'll never experience again. I sincerely hope that he'll continue to write, for I'd really like to hear what he has to say about this decade.
on April 6, 2014
What an extraordinary man. No matter what happened in his life, he accepted it with zen-like enlightenment. As I listened and re-listened to the words of his songs, there really is a lot of the pain of the 1970's in them. However, I found the music haunting and coming back over and over again, interrupting my thoughts.
on November 19, 2014
Saw the movie about Rodriguez on a plane ride. Here is an individual almost lost to history but whose songs in South Africa were important to so many. He was thought dead, his songs legendary. Somehow he was found, came back to South Africa for a tour and has slipped back to relative obscurity in the USA. Had to have his album. It is a good listen.
on March 1, 2013
In the 1990's, living in my native Michigan, I discovered the music of Nick Drake on a public radio show, and soon had all his records. As a fan of British folk rock, Bert Jansch, etc since 1970, I couldn't believe such a secret had been kept by the music industry for so many years. Now here comes a man from my own state, another poetic genius kept under the rock of the industry until now. The music I've been discovering recently is as good or better than the music I knew back then. God bless Rodriguez. I'm so glad he found recognition before it was too late. Bonus stars, if that were possible. Get it.
on February 21, 2014
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful - as is the man. It's always a triumph when the underdog finally gets a chance to shine - and better yet knowing that Rodriguez will be able to enjoy a few years of adulation from younger fans. Better still if he can get some of those big back paychecks he's due!