Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sea's Gift Korean Seaweed Snack (Kim Nori), Roasted & Sea Salted, 0.17-Ounce Bags (Pack of 24)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 20, 2009
At age 62 looking to increase my iodine intake to support thyroid health, I ordered these Nori snacks based on other reviews. Once delivered, the first bite was the hardest---I don't have a problem with fish oil or cod liver oil, but Nori is seaweed (yuck or so I thought). My surprise. I love these low carbohydrate salty-sesame-y little crips so much I now have them sent on the automatic shipment plan at quite a savings especially with Prime shipping.

And this Sea's Gift brand with just the kim, sea salt, and sesame oil is the best tasting of all the brands I have subsequently bought and then did a side-by-side taste test. All of the other brands bought locally at the Korean grocery store had been processed with corn oil, a no-no for me. And I am now eating seaweed soup and seaweed salad (from the local Korean grocery) that are delicious--all because of the introduction to this product.

That first bite, though, is the hardest. So glad I did it.
22 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2011
I'm a Korean student studying in the U.S. currently. I just don't know why the product has been titled as "snack": "Gim(=Kim)", toasted with sesame oil and salt, is one of the most common side dishes for us, and it goes very well with steamed (short) rice. You may have this as a snack with your beer, but I don't think it is a kind of "authentic" way of eating "Gim". If you got disppointed with this item, I'm sorry: but every kind of seaweeds is very good for health, with much iodine, iron, protein, and other vitamins. I have introduced so many kinds of Korean side dishes to my American friends, and "Gim"'s got the best responses by far. I hope that every ethnic food can be taken in its own "right" way of eating, and that people here can enjoy them without prejudice, as well. :)

p.s. "Nori" is a Japanese word for this seaweed, but Japanese "Nori" is different from Korean "Gim" in its taste, texture, way of toasting (or, processing for sale), although both use the same kind of raw material of the seaweed.
88 comments| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2008
People think I'm crazy, but my kids (4 and 6) absolutely love these things and beg me to buy them. A health nutt girlfriend of mine got them hooked on these things. Every time we walk into the local store that carries them, the kids go running down the aisle to the clip type display and start yanking these things off and tossing them in the basket. I usually buy 12 at a time and they don't last.

The only real downside for me is that the kids will fight over them if there's only one left. They will choose these over ANY other snack such as cookies, fruit, crackers, etc.

Yes the packaging seems a little extreme, but since the strips are frail, it's probably necessary for some situations. My kids take them to school in backpacks and lunch boxes and never have a problem with them being crushed.

My only concern here is the price. Amazon charges very nearly double what I pay for individual packs at a local health food chain store.
44 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2011
I ordered these based on the ingredient list as posted. Turns out they have canola oil which I try not to eat. The taste is fine but really disappointed this wasn't disclosed in the online ingredient listing. I would not have ordered them otherwise.
on August 23, 2007
The product was exactly what I expected it to be--tasty, crispy, salty, toasted seaweed that can be eaten like potato chips (with or without rice). Unfortunately each package contains only one sheet of seaweed cut into strips. The strips are layered in a plastic tray and wrapped inside of an aluminum type package. I find this to be overkill. The upside is that it is handy for people on the go.
on November 15, 2009
The SEA GIFT KOREAN ROASTED & SEA SALTED SEAWEED SNACKS are a wonderful treat if you like snacks with good flavor.

I like well-seasoned foods and even though these have a nice salted flavor, I would have preferred a saltier taste. But these seaweed sheets have just the right amount of flavor for most people.

If you don't know what seaweed snacks are they are sheets of dehydrated seaweed that's been roasted and seasoned with salt or soy sauce, and can be eaten either with rice or alone. They're thin like paper and slightly different from the type of seaweed that's used for wrapping sushi, which is not seasoned.

Each seaweed rectangular sheet measures about 3.25" x 2.25" and comes in 11 sheets per package. There are 24 packs in each order so that's plenty for making rice balls or adding to other dishes or just eating alone.

I agree with another reviewer who stated that there was a lot of packaging for such a small amount in each pack, but I've tried other dried "nori" seaweed snacks and once you open the container, you have a set amount of time to eat all the seaweed or it will get hard and stick together. Perhaps that's why these are packaged individually in sheets of 11.

Anyway, I really like these seaweed snacks and will be ordering more!
88 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2010
These seaweeds taste OK. Made in Korea, they taste comparable to the Japanese ones. But the quality control seems non-existent. We order a box, and have gone through half of it now. Just half of the box, one packet was already moist upon opening, meaning the seal had been compromised. Another packet was just empty. I mean EMPTY. No seaweed. Not even a grain of salt. Just a clear plastic holder was inside the wrapping. This is seriously screwed up.

If you live in a large metropolitan area, you can easily find some seaweed snack with better quality control and better prices at any East Asian grocery.
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2008
These are just pure seaweed and salt, with no MSG or sugar. The body craves whatever nutrients are in this, because my entire family including little kids with fussy palates LOVES these. We fight over each little green sheet. I so hoped we could have ordered these in quantity from Amazon and would have done so if the price had even been the SAME as the healthy grocery store's. But alas, they cost $0.75 at the store, so we will still have to go and buy whatever they have on their shelves. Too bad!
on March 29, 2013
These may seem expensive until you realize what you pay for candy machine junk! (.69 versus $1 or more!)

As a breast cancer survivor I have become aware that Asians living outside the US have 1/5 the incidence of breast cancer that we do. This is suspected because they eat sea vegetables such as sea weed which contain iodine. There appears to be a correlation between insufficient iodine and breast cancer.
It is safe and delicious to eat a pack of this product. Pills often contain twice the iodine needed which creates other problems!
on March 19, 2013
Many years ago, my brother and his Korean girlfriend introduced me to roasted seaweed. It used to be an occasional snack for me since it was rare that I had a chance to visit the Asian grocers in my area.

Fast forward to the present day and I have been trying like crazy to stick to my low-carb diet (which I had lost 60 pound the first time back in 2006) so I Google searched salty snacks I can eat while on the diet. Roasted seaweed was mentioned on a site and I immediately grew nostalgic and logged into Amazon to research some good brands.

Between the low price and amazingly good reviews, I decided to take my chances with a 24-pack of Sea's Gift Korean Seaweed Snack (Roasted & Sea Salted flavor).

The shipment just got here and the first thing I did was tear open the boxes (outer shipping box and inner product box), took a package out, opened it and started chomping away. Here are my observations:

Packaging: Compact enough to throw into a purse or backpack for a snack on-the-go.

Size of Seaweed Sheets: Nicely cut into uniform rectangles about the size of my palm.

Texture: The seaweed is nicely roasted so it's very crunchy. Each sheet is also paper thin which makes the crunch that much better.

Taste: There is just enough salt to give it a good flavor without being overbearing. There is not the strong fishy taste that some reviewers claim but there is the taste of the sea which to me is slightly fishy but not a turn off at all. Most people eat fish (tuna, salmon, bass, catfish, ect) so I'm not sure why some people are turned off by any hint of fish flavor unless they hate fish altogether.

Overall: I am extremely pleased with all aspects of Sea's Gift from the packaging to the taste. I will be buying this product regularly!