Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1001P-PU17-WT 10.1-Inch White Netbook (Up to 11 Hours of Battery Life)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on July 13, 2010
I am a big fan of the ASUS EEE-PC 1000 models. I had a 1000HA that I used every day and enjoyed. It was durable and resilient to my usage. This new thing is inferior, though. (1) The keys don't feel as good to the touch. (2) The touchpad buttons are on a single bar, meaning it doesn't have a separate button for left and right, which I find kind of annoying. (3) The Windows 7 Starter is cumbersome and not intuitive, so I've now gone back to an older ACER with Win XP, which is still the best windows I've seen.

(4) THIS WAS THE BIG PROBLEM: I upgraded to a 2GB memory card, perfectly consistent with ASUS specifications, and then whenever I plugged in the AC Adaptor while the laptop was already turned on, the laptop would crash. Happened every time I plugged in the adaptor, when it was already on. I had read one review with the same problem and the fix was to get a higher GHz memory upgrade, but that's what I used and it still had the problem. I called ASUS and they said they would research a solution, even though they must have heard this from other customers already. Anyway, they never got back to me about it. I didn't like being lied to by ASUS and I can't believe they would sell it without being able to upgrade the RAM, especially when that laptop really needs the memory upgrade to effectively stream video. I returned it.

Bottom line, you'd be better off with the (older) EEE 1000 series, in my opinion.
on October 7, 2010
Product was received promptly and packed very well. Netbook looked great and initially I was happy with it once I turned it on. However, once the initial buzz wore off, I noticed the battery life was horrible. I charged it fully before operating but it still didn't seem to hold a charge for more than a couple of hours not the 11 indicated. Add anti-virus software and it becomes an incredibly slow machine. I added Norton and was having flashbacks to dial-up days. For surfing web, it was klunky and slow. Also, the screen height is very small. If you are going to use this for web surfing, you better have incredible eyesight. Overall I was not pleased with the product and am in process of returning. I did, however, buy a full-size laptop to replace it. My opinion, if you are looking for something with the performance of a desktop, don't even consider this unit.
on April 24, 2011
I thought I would be safe ordering a product that comes with a 1-year warranty. I rarely have problems anyway. When this netbook started giving me bluescreen errors and spontaneously shutting down, only a month after I bought it, I contacted ASUS. They talked me through a system restore over the phone. The problem continued. My next call initiated an RMA (return order) and I spent $20 to ship the item back to them for repair. It came back very quickly, but continued to have the same problem. Another call and another RMA resulted in a 2nd return. Upon receiving the repaired machine again, it still was not fixed. I then called ASUS and demanded a new netbook to replace this one. They told me that the warranty is for repair only, not replacement, but I could send it to them for repair ... for a 3rd time!!!! I then reminded them that THEY HAVE NOT REPAIRED IT, therefore they are not honoring their warrranty. After much haggling, the representative managed to send me a postage-paid receipt to mail it back to them free of charge. Or course, my first trip to FedEx wasted 45 minutes when the associate couldn't understand how to enter the info in the computer. I then had to go across town to another FedEx location to drop off the package for sending. Meanwhile, I've gotten 2 automated calls from FedEx claiming that ASUS has sent me a package and it is being held a a local facility. I got excited, thinking that ASUS finally figured out how to do business and decided to just send me a new machine. But when I got to FedEx, they claimed there is no package for me!!! I can't count the number of hours I've spent trying to resolve this issue, and the postage spent; but most frustrating is the amount of time I've been without a working laptop. Save yourself the trouble and don't buy from ASUS. I hope they're reading this review (the first product review I've ever written). Maybe they'll change their business practices.
on November 29, 2012
I bought this laptop October 2010, It stopped working on a travelling trip in July 2012(only a few months after warranty expired). I carried it by a technician,in short there was a problem with the motherboard that wasn't worth the effort & time to fix. Asus should have offered an optional 2 year warranty. If I had known this would have happened, I would have bought another computer with better warranty terms and online reviews.
on October 26, 2010
Used the computer twice, after which it would only boot to a blank screen with a blinking cursor. Booting from the recovery partition messed it up even more as now it says there is no operating system. The recovery partition is gone now too, the victim of a terribly engineered seppuku, I suspect.

I know the harddrive works because it actually booted the recovery partition in the first place as well as the lightweight OS.

But here's the thing; in the box, there is no support software. No DVD with the recovery software on it, no links on the website to make a recovery USB stick. Nothing.

If this PC breaks, it's just broken. It's terrible.
on December 13, 2010
I bought this netbook in April of this year. I knew right away it was defective. As soon as i turned it on it crashed. My husband who is a computer programmer said that that doesn't mean it is defective. So I used it for a few days only downloading itunes and Firefox. It continued to crash. I upgraded to the full Windows thinking that would help. nope, still crashing.

So I called customer service who said that i must have downloaded something bad. The gave me instructions to re-boot the whole system (so i had to transfer my itunes etc). They guy could not explain to me how that would help. So I did it. Nothing, still crashed everytime i used the computer. All I was doing was using the internet and itunes. It was supposed to be our travel netbook for our daughter to watch movies on the plane and my media stuff--since my other laptop is old.

Finally, I got my husband to call and they tried to get him to re-install the whole shabang again but luckily he knows the lingo and we sent it back. Of course i have to pay shipping. They replaced the hard drive. I was so turned off by the whole thing I rarely used it. It seemed better but now it crashes whenever I use it. In am going to have to send it again and pay more shipping. I wish they would just give me a new one already.

otherwise, the laptop is ok. The mouse is really sensitive and the cursor is constantly bouncing around and changing the size of the screen or switching screens. The screen gets tons of fingerprints and it hard to clean. And 11 hours--what a joke. When i first got it, it lasted for hours but now I only get about 3-4 hours out of it and less if I am watching movies--not factoring in all the restarting after it crashes.

I just wish they would fix it already. sorry for the typos
on November 14, 2010
I have just received my computer and the battery life is around 5h30 hours not 11 as announced. I bought it believing that the computer had 11 hours battery life time as announced but it is a lie to attract people to buy it. Don't do the same as I did.
on May 4, 2010
During the first year of ownership, two AC Adaptor cords for my 1005HA Netbook have broken. The first time I waited five weeks for the warranty replacement because they were out of stock. The replacement cord stopped working April 15, 2010, and I am still waiting for the replacement. So far in 2010, I have not been able to use my netbook for a total of two months. I am very angry and frustrated at the lack of quality of the ASUS AC adaptor. Please don't buy any ASUS products unless you want a lot of stress and frustration.