Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: Audio CDChange

on November 20, 2002
Many have called her a conniving opportunist. Some call her a phony or a no-talent hack. But as Grace Slick once said, "We ain't missin' nothing witty from the critics/Who can't get up and do it/so they write about the ones who do anything!" Yoko Ono remains true to her own unique vision and artisic direction. True, her music is not for everyone, it's for people who get it.
This was Yoko's way of dealing when John was murdered. Rather than writing a bunch of songs about "Oh my poor husband, I miss you so," she went straight for the heart. The cover shot depicts John's still-bloody glasses for God's sakes! That was a shocker. The songs themselves, like much of Yoko's work, are counterphobic attacks on sadness, anger, and isolation, rather than moody lyrics that dwell on the above emotions. "No No No" opens with gunshot sounds and closes with a keyboard part that sounds like a siren...presumably an ambulance siren? "She Gets Down on Her Knees" is probably the best song she's ever written and I love the way she words it: "She gets down on her knees to throw up life/'Cause that's the only way she has it good...she's a main-liner who never took the main line." "Toyboat" is breathtaking. I love "Goodbye Sadness," where her voice breaks with emotion at one point. Gives me chills, man. And the album closes with a prayer to the "Mother of the Universe."
My favorite song wasn't even part of the original album release. It's the home demo version of "I Don't Know Why." It was recorded at home in the Dakota building on December 9, 1980, the day after John's death. It's so simple and so beautiful in it's own way. She expresses herself perfectly.
Say what you want, but Yoko is an artist. This is how an artist deals. S/he purges themselves through their art. That's what Yoko did with "Season of Glass." And I'm happy she did.
on August 27, 2002
Recorded after the death of John Lennon, Yoko Ono's "Season Of Glass" is probably among the 10 best albums of all time. For an artist as unique and widely criticized as Ono, her music certainly does not reflect all the negative vibes she has received from the world. "Season" is a deeply personal, heartfelt album. In "Goodbye Sadness," Yoko says just that. ("Goodbye sadness/I don't need you anymore") It's a beautiful track. "Mindweaver" has a haunting opening with Yoko on the phone with a mysterious caller, and the track itself is amazing. "Even When You're Far Away," one of my personal favorites, and "Nobody Sees Me Like You Do" are gorgeous love songs. "No, No, No" is an exruciatingly desperate song featuring gunshots, and "She Gets Down On Her Knees" is superb. The quiet but luminous "Toyboat" brings tears to my eyes with every listen, Yoko's voice at her most beautiful and most peaceful. The brilliant "Walking On Thin Ice" is a bonus track, as is an a capella version of "I Don't Know Why." "Season Of Glass" is nothing short of a masterpiece. Ono is a talented woman who will go down in history as one of the most influential artists of our time.
on March 28, 2004
I recall very clearly the day John was killed. I had been a Yoko fan from day one (a very rare being)- however besides the world's loss I also knew it was something horrific for her (I had also worked in the Dakota so it was a bit personal). When Yoko released "Walking On Thin Ice" and I read that they were mixing that the night of his murder I was chilled. That is a rock and roll masterpiece. The album, "Season Of Glass" was highly anticipated - the cover alone was almost a japanese haiku. The material within is still to this day remarkable for it's depth, power and relativity to not only the tragedy of John's murder but life itself. Yoko never sang as touchingly - granted - she usually shrieked. However here she is angry, hurt, pained, resigned and reflective. The power of "No, No, No,", the sorrow of "I Don't Know Why" and the utter beauty and thought behind "Goodbye Sadness" are outstanding. This is an overlooked masterpiece by an overlooked artist who happened to be married to one of the most famous and talented musician's in history. Linda McCartney? Rest in peace, but honey - she couldn't create music like this in a lifetime. Yoko's eulogy is apt for all.
on February 16, 1999
On December 8 1980, the shot that was heard around the world was fired, taking the life of John Lennon. As the world mourned the loss of their 'working class hero', Yoko Ono did what most people in the same situation would do; she threw herself into her work. The result: Season of Glass, probably one of Yoko's most famous pieces. Although alot of the songs were written prior to this recording, the album as a whole was a mind-numbing depiction of the tragedy of that December night.
For the most part, the album features Yoko at her most emotionally revealling. Songs dealing with the loss of her husband helped us to deal with our own loss. The opening track "Goodbye Sadness" (also the first single) starts us off into a reflective look at the life and the love of John & Yoko, soon we are to take a look at the world as Yoko now saw it ("Dogtown"). By the middle of the album (or side two if you have the original LP or cassette), Yoko takes a no-punches held, head-on attack on those who had wished ill thoughts on the couple ("I Don't Know Why"), even forcing the world to deal with her pain by depicting the gunshots which killed Lennon (the album's second single "No, No, No"). Then eventually returning to a more "at peace" closing prayer ("Mother of the Universe"). The emotional roller-coaster ride may have been more than most of us could have handled in our own lives.
Emotion aside, some of Yoko's stronger work appears on this album. The Haunting "Even When You're Far Away", the eerie rocker "She Gets Down On Her Knees", the busy confusion of "No, No, No", the sentimental melancholy of "Nobody Sees Me Like You Do" (later to become a minor hit for country singer Roseanne Cash), and the optimistic "Goodbye Sadness" which would later be the Grand Finale of her musical 'New York Rock'.
The cd re-release features Yoko's biggest hit to date, "Walking On Thin Ice", the song which was recorded the night of December 8, also included is a home demo of "I Don't Know Why".
on December 8, 2000
I had bought Double Fantasy, and being the first time I had listened to Yoko, I was suprised how good her music was. The play on songs between her and John complimented each other. This album puts Yoko standing on her own. Although she has released solo albums before, John had always been there behind the scenes. I was suprised how in one song she can have a haunting melody and in another thundering guitars of pain and rage. From trying to move forward with Goodbye Sadness to No, No, No and She gets down on Her Knees to Toyboat she has put full frontal pain and rage and grief to the listener. She may not be at the top of the charts, but she is just as talented musically and lyrically than most artists of today. If you buy only one album of Yoko's, this is the one.
on July 11, 1999
John's death was a death in the family to all of us who have loved and followed John and Yoko since the late 60's. The only light to follow this tragedy was the "Season Of Glass" LP. I thought she had outshined John on "SomeTime In New York City", and was every bit an equal on "Double Fantasy" and "Milk And Honey". But "Season Of Glass" dwarfed everything in the past. The LP cover was a punch in the stomach. It was suppose to be. It was relevant and to the point. The LP cover represented its contents perfectly. No double-talk. And now the CD release with "Walking On Thin Ice" makes it the most complete CD collection I own. I waited ten years for this collection to come out on CD. "I Don't Know Why" and "She Gets Down On Her Knees" both rock and scorch your soul. "Goodbye Sadness" is only second to her "Your Hands" powerhouse love ballad. "Dogtown" and "No, No No" are raw and to the point. I love the imagery of "Toyboat". And "Nobody Sees Me Like You Do" is so tender. Yoko's next two albums didn't have the cutting edge power as "Season Of Glass". Some great singles: "Dream Love", "Hell In Paradise" and "In Cape Clear" are sure hits. Her "Rising" CD is right behind "Season Of Glass". If you want to hear the beat of your soul, play "Revelations" a couple of hundred times. Brilliant! Sometimes Yoko's voice and music is difficult to listen to, but then sometimes life is too difficult. Yoko is intellectual and tender beyond what most listeners are tuned into. She pushes you over the edge. Right into the arms of your hungry and naked self. She remains as relevant, if not more so, than the Beatles, all these years later. John and Yoko were the only two people who made any sense to a young man in the late sixties and early seventies. Today, as an adult, Yoko continues to please and prick my mind. She has given so much to America, my generation and the world. Thank you Yoko.
on September 25, 2009
I still have the vinyl version of this album. With the 45 rpm single version of Walking on Thin Ice. I ran across this album (dating myself) on my Amazon recomendations. I stopped to read the other reviews. The ones rated 4 & 5 stars I have little to add. I, too, was a Yoko fan before she became "the woman who broke up the Beatles." I owned her book Grapefruit, and actually remember one of her exercises from the book (paraphrasing): Pretend you are a child playing hide and seek. Pretend no one is looking for you.

I own "Two Virgins". I actually like her singing. I hear her influence in the B52s (as did John.) On December 8, 1980 I was watching Monday Night Football. My friend Lisa and I used to bet, successfully, on football games. I heard, of all people, Howard Cosell announce that John Lennon had been shot. I was devastated. I don't remember who won the game that night, whether I won money or had to pay the bookie. The world stopped.

One afternoon, in the 1970's, I was walking in Central Park, walking from East Side to West, near the carousel. Coming up the same path, West to East, was John & Yoko. It was a brisk Fall day. Heading towards dusk. Like everyone in my generation, the Beatles changed my life. I remember palpatations and thinking, "Do I ask for an autograph? Or do I do what a native New Yorker should do - respect their space?" I decided the latter. I'm sure my face gave my thoughts away because as John & Yoko neared they slowed down, waiting for the inevitable pen and paper. I pulled up alongside them. "Hi, John; hi, Yoko," smiled and kept walking. They both smiled and said "Hi." We kept walking. New Yorkers all. I will always remember their smiles.

Inside my vinyl album is a greyed letter to Yoko. Expressing my grief, my sympathy to a woman who'd just lost her husband, lost the father of her son, the man who'd just returned to his career with "Double Fantasy". It is a personal, heartfelt letter I never sent. Instead this album said everything and more on the subject of loss. I just put the letter inside the record jacket.

This is a evocative collection of songs, poetry, about dealing with loss and anger and grief and love. Walking on Thin Ice is a brilliant song, right on the cutting edge of the punk revolution sitting on the high wire of new wave and disco. It was revolutionary, and had it come just a little earlier could've done for Yoko what "Broken English" did for Marianne Faithfull. Her break through moment. This album was the breakout work John felt was finally her moment. Instead, tragedy.

Ignore the one star reviews. By now you know Yoko's eclectic style. You either like it or you don't. I think the oddest, and most ridiculous, comments are the ones suggesting she doesn't have a right to include gun shots, doesn't have the right to put her husband's glasses on the cover. It reminds me of the comment Pete Townshend has made about the losses of Jimi, Janis, and Keith: "They may be YOUR rock stars. But they were my FRIENDS." Those glasses belonged to her murdered husband. She has the right to do whatever she wants with them, and sing whatever she wants to sing.

John & Yoko courted in public. Married in public. Had to put up with the entire world commenting on their relationship. Their ups & downs were public. That Yoko would choose to document her very private feelings in this public arena is an extension of that invasion of privacy that they put up with for years. Her effort is nothing less than courageous and brave. That she did so in such a touching, heart breaking, effective manner is art.

Like the service she requested in John's memory, worldwide, 10 minutes of silence, it's quiet and powerful. I initially didn't want to go to that memorial in Central Park. At the last minute I jumped on the subway and just made it as "Imagine" was ending, and the silence began. I remember hearing the news copters above the park. In the middle of New York City, no noise. Peace and tears. This album opens up a floodgate of memories for me. Sad, but fond.

If you have an open mind, know what it's like to lose someone you love, or have a will to survive, give this album it's due. Every day I'm still glad I never asked for that autograph. It's a New York thing.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2000
i wouldn't have gotten thru 1981 if it weren't for this LP. Thank You Yoko. this numbered CD is incredible. the last track was recorded by Yoko on Dec 9,1980 at home on a cassette player. what can i say? do yourself a favor and buy this CD. don't like the music, buy it just for the mindblowing cover. if you're not moved, you have no heart.
on September 6, 2000
The death of John hurt me so much,I even bought this alum by Yoko Ono.When the first number, "Goodbye Sadness"came on,I was shocked to hear how good Yoko could sing.Its a great song,produced by Phil Spector.I'm glad "Walking on Thin Ice" is included on this new version.John was killed coming home from the studio while working on this record.Its a great Disco cut,and the highest charted single from Yoko."NO,NO,NO"with the gun shots,shows what risk Yoko's willing to take.Everyone was talking about this song.Its the only way Yoko could get on with her life,through her work.I have to admit,I'm not into this type of music,and I never bought another Yoko Ono album,but "Season of Glass" is one of her best recordings.Also,alot of John's songs,like "Imagine" was Yoko's idea,but wasn't given song writing credit.
on April 10, 2005
Don't write this off as another one of "those" albums. This is a really great album. There is very minimal shrieking and the lyrics are very heartfelt. It's painful to listen to at times because Yoko conveys the universal emotions that everyone feels after a serious loss so well in all of her songs. Rather than trivializing John's death by screaming and shrieking about it (this is not Plastic Ono Band 2), she managed to pull herself together and make a really great record. Minus one star because her voice begins to grate after awhile and not all the songs are winners, but as a whole this is pretty damn good. And the cover photo is worth the price of the whole album by itself. Pretty powerful stuff.