Season of the Witch
Format: DVDChange
Price:$6.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 16, 2011
Format: DVD
The best reason for seeing Season of the Witch is partnership between Behmen (Nicholas Cage) and Felson (Ron Perlman). Spoilers follow. Both are crusaders and the film opens with a snapshot of their various battles with a running bet they have that the one who kills the least of the ungodly enemy will buy drinks. This good humored slaughter goes on until one day while laying siege to a town Behmen kills a woman and wants nothing further to do with fighting. Behmen and Felson are outcasts because they have broken their vows to server the church. As they journey home they find that a plague has decimated the country and at the first city they come to the reason for the plague is a girl (Claire Foy) who is said to be a witch. Behmen and Felson are recognized and asked to accompany the witch to a distant monastery for trail, which they do after spending a night in a dungeon. Christopher Lee has a small part as Cardinal D'Ambroise although he is unrecognizable (being a victim of the plague) except for his voice. The journey to see justice occupies the rest of the film as the travelers, led by a merchant who traffics in fake relics (Stephen Graham).

The production is very good with the filth and squalor of the 14th century well represented. The costumes were thoughtfully designed and the special effects are very effective and the makeup used for plague victims was very effective. Nicolas Cage turns in a good but not overly convincing performance; Ron Perlman is easier to see in the role of a crusader. Stephen Campbell Moore (from the Bank Job) does a convincing job playing the priest Debelzag who is determined to see the witch gets her trial. The film has some suspenseful movements, such as when the witch calls up wolves to attack her escort. However, much of the film, such as when the wagon with the imprisoned witch has to cross a crumbling wooden bridge, is predictable. The film is worth seeing if you like B movies and are in the mood.
Format: DVD
The movie starts out in 1235 AD as 3 women accused of witchcraft are hung and drowned. The priest wants the bodies pulled up from the water so he can perform a ritual on them so they can't return from the dead. As always, resurrected witches have more power than when they were alive. This was all done to show you the ritual book. We jump ahead to 1332 AD with the savoy Nickolas Cage and Ron Perlman fighting in the crusades. After 7 years of rape, killing, pillage and plunder in the name of God's only son, Cage decides this is wrong and calls it quits. Cage and Perlman leave the crusades. Through a series of events, they agree to escort a girl accused of witchcraft, to a group of monks 6 days travel away, so they can judge her. They believe she caused the plague. They get as a guide a man who sold fake church artifacts.

Weird things happen along the way as we suspect the girl really is a witch. The Cardinal had a very distinguished voice, which can be no one other than Christopher Lee, whose career has gone down hill since he was locked away in a Tower. The special effects were good, but the plot lacked. The ending of the story was all wrong and should have related more to the initial 1235 A.D. scene. The guide, who was a colorful character was severely under utilized. They could of had a few stories about how he forged artifacts, or how many of the same church relic he sold. They did not. Kid friendly film in that there is no nudity, sex, or f-bombs.
on January 16, 2011
Verified Purchase
Just got back from seeing this movie in the movie theater. The critical reviews for the movie were bad, however I like true `B' movies, so I went in with an open mind.

The Story

I felt the story was very good, and it had a few twists and turns, nothing huge but if you allowed yourself to buy in to the world of the movie, they present some good ethical dilemmas that the characters have to deal with. Unlike many sword and sandal movies here you are never completely comfortable with who you are supposed to root for or what the correct moral viewpoint is. In the end, they explain things with a nice little twist that sets you up for a second viewing of the film.

Production Values

Honestly, the look of the film and the locations are top shelf. The much maligned CGI works serviceably throughout the film until the end, where it does fall short in presenting the malice and impact of the final villain. I enjoyed the look of the beginning of the film and the crusades, and the dark muddy look of Europe upon the characters return. The locations in the middle of the movie are magnificent and epic, sweepingly filmed with very good cinematography.

Music

The music it terrific and raises the entire level of the production. The music is epic, exciting, and some of the better I have heard.

Acting

The acting is good, there are a few awkward exchanged here and there but overall everyone does a fine job. The standout performance is that of the actress playing the imprisoned witch, her performance is layered, complex, malevolent, innocent, evil, honest, creepy, blameless, and any other acronym you want.

The Good

The opening is serviceable but I especially liked the battle montage that introduces the main characters. The movie moves along at a good pace. The bridge scene is as good as anything you will see in any adventure movie, it is the highlight action set piece in my opinion, and the setup before it and chase after it are great. This is the highlight of the film.

The Bad

As I mentioned there are a few awkward acting moments, and even though the end of the movie really goes for it, the CGI and voice acting for the final Villain show-down don't deliver as well as a $40M production should.
VINE VOICEon April 30, 2011
Format: Blu-ray
As anyone who knows me is well aware, I'm a self-professed masochist; if there's an opportunity for me to experience something excruciating, I jump at it (keep that in mind, ladies). Obviously, when I saw that Season of the Witch had an abysmal 4% on Rotten Tomatoes, I simply couldn't resist. I quickly found out, however, that I was sort of in the minority on this one (who knew?!)--after petitioning all of my friends, only one was intrepid enough to brave the theaters with me. We planned the trip for early Friday morning, our mounting excitement making Thursday's sleep an ephemeral affair. I awoke that day to an act of God. In his infinite wisdom, he had bestowed upon me a migraine most malicious in an effort to prevent one of his flock from the even greater pain of watching Nicolas Cage play a disillusioned Knight in a fantasy movie.

But I am not a God-fearing man, and so, despite the advice of my friends, despite the admonitions of the critics, despite the wind and the cold and the rain, despite even the divine hand of God himself, I rose from the beanbag chair that was my bed and journeyed forth toward almost certain disappointment. After all, if The Last Airbender, a memory better left forgotten, had received a 7%, what hope did Season of the Witch have? I met Dphil, the intrepid friend, at the gates and handed my ticket to the clerk, who, with his snarling remarks, unkempt hair, and bared teeth, could have (save for the two missing heads) passed for the guardian Cerberus. My companion and I took our seats and surveyed the scene. I have to be honest with you here. It's a little disconcerting when the only other people in the theater are an old man by himself, a huge lady in a squeaky wheelchair being led by a group of friends, and someone who probably rides the short bus and kept babbling and mumbling incoherently. I mean no offense. It was simply an odd crowd.

Season of the Witch is set in England during the Crusadin' times. After a quick intro that proves witches to be all too real, we get a montage of battles in which the knights Behmen (Nicolas Cage) and Felson (Ron Perlman) kill many non-innocents, then finally, after ten years, kill some innocents. Ten years before the first undeserved death? Very impressive. Disillusioned, Behmen and Felson desert the army only to end up in a town ravaged by the plague, which is apparently caused by a hot young vixen who's got this sexy witch vibe goin' on. Setup complete, our two warrior heroes join forces with an elderly knight and the priest Debelzaq (Stephen Campbell Moore), ready to transport the sorceress. At this point, my buddy turns to me and says, "I can't believe they don't have a rogue in their party!" Seconds later, Nicolas Cage goes, "We need a guide!" and of course the only person who can guide them is the lock-picking ne'er-do-well swindler, Hagamar (Stephen Graham). Dungeons and Dragons team assembled, they set out for an ancient monastery, for only there can the monks cast out the witch and end the plague.

One of the better aspects of Season of the Witch is the way it keeps you guessing. It utilizes the tried-and-true "Is she a witch or isn't she" method to keep the audience interested, though I don't understand why the characters never thought to simply compare the girl's weight to that of a duck. Anyway, partway through, it simply tells you the answer. I've tried to craft this review in a similar style. Is Season of the Witch good, or is it not? I guess I've probably been leaning a little too obviously toward the "not" side, but the movie has a surprisingly good twist, and so do I. Season of the Witch was actually good! Maybe it was just because anything was better than the pain of a migraine, maybe it was because I was delirious from lack of sleep, or maybe it's because I just can't resist Nicolas Cage's entertainingly unemotional acting, but I enjoyed the hell out of this movie (like how those monks exorcised the hell out of that girl! Get it?).

Sure, it was a little bit predictable in parts, but that just made it more surprising when it caught me off guard. Yes, there was the obligatory bridge-crossing scene, with boards cracking and plummeting below the characters' feet as ropes twisted and frayed, but it was reasonably well done, and, more importantly, it wasn't there just for the sake of unnecessary suspense--the girl saves one of the characters from falling to his death, casting further doubt on her motivations. Yes, witch girl ostensibly summons a bunch of wolves to kill our heroes, but you find out later that there was more at play than you'd ever imagined. The fight scenes were pretty entertaining, I was constantly creeped out by how I was both creeped out by and attracted to the main girl, and unlike stupid The Last Airbender, the movie was surprisingly well paced. Plus, the final battle was pretty awesome. I mean seriously, what's cooler than fighting a horde of cloaked, plague-ridden, undead monks who have boils all over their faces and battle with fearsome hooks in a room that's on fire and filled with shelves of scrolls that go flying whenever someone's thrown into them? All this while a priest epically incants an unnerving Latin ritual in the background, hoping to slay the giant winged demon that seeks to end all human life.

I honestly don't see how this movie got so many negative reviews. The dialogue was a little campy, especially the lines delivered by Hagamar, like "This damn fog is like a veil before my eyes," or directly after, "I can't see my hand in front of my face." As cliché as some of it might have been, Season of the Witch had enough new ideas that, when coupled with a hot girl, some twists and scares, and a general sense of fun, it ended up being well worth the price of a matinee ticket.

Don't just take my word for it, though. I have proof that this was a "great" film. You see, I was so totally engaged that I didn't even notice that, by the end of the film, everyone else had walked out! If that's not hard evidence, I don't know what is. The credits rolled and I looked around, extremely pleased that I'd decided to see such a fine film, only to find that there was literally no one in the theater. Had they ever even been there? How could I not hear someone get creakily wheeled out of the room? How could I not notice the babbling babbler leave the theater? Where did the old man go?! I was sure a witch had cursed me. Like I said, it must have been a damn good movie! I'd been looking forward to being able to tear this film apart, but I walked out of the theater perplexed: How was I supposed to write an entertaining review now? Just then, Dphil turned to me, and, as if he could see into my soul, said, "Russ, you're just going to have to use nuance." And, as you, the reader, are my witness, this is a review so nuanced that it knows no equal. I braved the wrath of God and more to bring it to you and returned from my quest unharmed (which, for a masochist, is rather disappointing). Someday, I hope to craft a movie of my own with as much nuance and subtlety as Season of the Witch, but until then, I must simply award it:

3.5/5 Stars

Honestly, the worst thing about this movie was the way the sound kept cutting in and out. Perhaps it was another attempt by God to intervene, but I brazenly ignored him, sitting through what seemed like the worst dubbing ever because, darn it, I paid good money for this!

Check out more reviews at thenickelscreen on wordpress!
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2010
Rating: PG

Overview:

This is a movie of epic proportions, think - Lord of Rings, and you will begin to grasp the magnitude of this film in terms of its wide panoramic shots with rugged snow covered mountains with sheer cliffs. The music score is exceptional as well and there are a lot of tense moments as two heroic crusaders take a witch to a distant destination to have her demons expelled.

Background:

The story is derived from the the period of the dark ages, with particular focus on the Black Plague. This would set the film to be in the 1300s. A prelude is given in the year 1235 AD at the City of Villach, here three women convicted of witchcraft are put to death.

Story:

It starts off where 2 crusaders (Nicolas Cage and Ron Perlman) return to their home in Europe after long years of religious wars. These wars started at the Gulf of Edremit 1332, different scenes of battle are shown in 1334, 1337, 1339, and ending in 1344 at Smyrna. Knight Behmen (Cage) is now battle weary and questions his faith because of the harsh battles that he had to endure, as well as the fact that he is now reduced to slaughtering women and children.

However, upon their return, their country is reeling under the hands of another enemy, a deadly plague. Fingers are pointed to a young woman that is believed to be the black witch. However, instead of immediately burning her at the stake, as was common in medieval times, she must be taken to a distant monastery on the edge of nowhere. Knight Beham is now commanded by the moribund Cardinal to deliver a suspected witch to the abbey at this distant location. Here it is believed that monks will have the capability of delivering the young woman of her demons and then in effect releasing the land from the curse of the plague that has gripped it.

This is a suspenceful movie that has a lot of action and tension. Throughout the film you will find yourself wondering if this girl is truly a witch or just a scapegoat to blame. In the end the knights will have to face an evil beyond human comprehension. The final action sequences are quite intense, and reminded me of the old computer game called Heretic.
review image review image
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon February 2, 2011

3.5/5 Stars

Check out more reviews at thenickelscreen on wordpress!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2011
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
In truth, I watched Season of the Witch to see the rising Irish star Robert Sheehan in a role unlike his previous roles. I'm not a big fan of Ron Perlman and lately, Nicholas Cage has disappointed me. But this film was good for the type film that it is. I'm not sure why some of the other reviewers are putting the film down as it's way better than many similar movies. It's doubtful that the creators of this film had expectations of winning Best Film at the Oscars, but they have definitely entertained those of us who wanted to watch a film with witches and demons, heroes, priests and altar boys. Costumes were great, cinematography was awesome at times and the actors did a good job with the characters they were given to portray. I did not like the makeup and give the art department a thumbs down for that.... but, I gave the film 5 stars because it was a couple hours worth of solid entertainment which I enjoyed, AND, I got the opportunity to see another side of Robert Sheehan,an actor who is an outstanding performer in comedy and drama.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2011
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
So, the movie begins with a few witches being hung and drowned. ne comes back to life and kills the priest who is performing an exorcism of the bodies. Flash forward (i guuss) to Nic Cage and Ron Perlman (how many sci-fi flicks does this make it for him so far?) as knights fighting in god's army against various infidels in various places. Nic Cage ends up killing an unarmed woman, at which point, he and his best friend (Perlman), desert the army and begin trekking...somewhere (nothing specific is mentioned there). They enter a town in order to purchase supplies and find that it has been stricken by the plague. The master of the stable where they have their horses and their stuff (no inn apparently) sees the crest on the pommel of Cage's sword, and putting two aadtwo together, reports to the local authorities that he and Perlman are deserters. They are arrested after a brief battle and put in a cell next to the alleged witch in the story. After bit of defiance,they end up agreeing to help escort the imprisoned witch to a monastery to face trial. What ensues is their journey to the monastery, where they face a few adverse moments and a couple of deaths. There is no question by the time they get there that the chick is in fact a witch.....or is she? Minor plot twist at the end with a touch of the Golden Child mixed in. 'nuff said about that.

Perlman is as always....Perlman...fun, charismatic, sci-fi legend.
Cage is...well...Cage....a bit of bad acting mixed in with some great moments, fairly well representative of his entire career...a few moments of greatness mixed in with quite a few bad choices and wooden lines. Not a bad role for him overall though.

Although my review is pretty tongue in cheek, it was still actually a fun movie with some cool scenes. However, the cheese factor has me giving it 3 1/2 stars...but since that isnt an option here, i give it four since it was fun.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
The movie centers around two Christin Cursaders /Knights (Cage and Perlman) who are called upon by the church to deliver a young girl accused of being a witch to to a distant abby. All in the hope that the monks at the abby can determine her guilt or innoncence; and save the world from the plague in the process; the girl is thought to be the cause of the plague.

The two Knightts are joined on their journey by another Knight who lost his daughter to the plague, a priest, an alter boy, and a crocked mechant who acts as their guide. On their journey to the abby, they face numerous perils; all while learning more about the innocence or guilt of the accused witch.

There are a couple of great twist at the end, and enough action throughout to keep you engaged. Cage and Perlman, in my opinion, are never really believable in period pieces....it's their accents...or lack there off, that distracts from the character. I actually think the minior characters are the ones that make this movie a 4 star...some decent acting among this bunch.

For those concerned about violence...well, the film does have quite a bit of violence....however, its not very gory. I think its ok for 13 year olds and older; and the film does contain some religious themes, but is far from preachy.

Acting: Pearlman & Cage "B"
Acting: Remaining cast "A"
Story: "B"
Special Effects/Cinematography: "B"

Its worth renting...good flick if you're sitting at home on Saturday night.....
on June 2, 2011
Format: Blu-ray
I completely enjoyed this movie. It was one of the few scary movies I have seen that was not so heavy handed that it turned into a comedy.

Yes it was dark. It is during medival times with its ugly crusades and deathly plagues. Yet the filming is also beautiful. It is a horror movie with class. I do not want to give spoilers so I won't tell what the actual horror is or who survives.

I would fit it in between Chronicles of Riddick and Robin Hood with a tad more fantasy. If you like fantasy on the dark side that doesn't end with everyone dead, you might like this. I certainly did.