5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product
Published on January 11, 2012 by Kevin

3.0 out of 5 stars First bad Seasonic
The Pros:(kind of)
Priced great and 7 year warranty.
I've never had a single problem with Seasonic.

Published 11 months ago by retired toolmaker

3.0 out of 5 stars First bad Seasonic, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Seasonic X-850(SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply (Personal Computers)
The Pros:(kind of)
Priced great and 7 year warranty.
I've never had a single problem with Seasonic.

But... this thing is small in comparison to my other Seasonics. Not impressed at all with overall feel but visually gives me the fan on top with the Seasonic label facing out and not upside-down, which is what I was after. In hindsight, I thought I should have just reordered another 750W but they, too, are now built the same as this model, after looking here, as well as the Egg place. Bring the quality sleeved cables back, Seasonic.

The Cons:
I've never had a single problem with Seasonic till now. (Amazon is promptly sending me a next day replacement of the same SS-850, so I'll try again.) The 24 pin pulled 2 wires from their crimping with the slightest of flex. As a retired machinist, I checked the length of the stripped ends and only measured about .100 (about 3/32"). Seems like very little surface area to crimp onto, but maybe that is all that is needed. Still the connection didn't hold on one of the 24 pins; btw it is the only one that has 2 wires going to one crimp. I absolutely love my Seasonic SS-1250XM X-Series ATX PC power supply and 2 Seasonic SS-750KM3's previously purchased, but these ribbon cables just don't feel the same quality as before. One of the 750W was sleeved cables (nicely done) and the 1250W came nicely sleeved, not ribbon cabled, and just feel more quality-like as opposed to the newer ribbon ones. Also the one Seasonic 750W that shipped with ribbon cables still feels far superior to this 850W. Perhaps they are 'farming' out their parts, as well as their once stellar reputation. As any parent would say, "They just don't make 'em like they used to".

Will follow up with the replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, January 11, 2012
This is a high quality power supply. Everything about it is top notch. Just about every power cable you could think of is included to connect it to your motherboard, graphics cards, and drives, etc. I installed it in a new build without any problems. I did have to buy an additional extenstion cable for the motherboard power as I mounted the power supply at the bottom of an ATX case and the motherboard power connector was near the very top of the case. Delivered very quickly. I would buy this product and brand again without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet, May 31, 2013
I've been building computers since the 80's. One thing that has always aggravated me about desktops has been the noise. I've overclocked for years, and thus have had to deal with a bit more fan noise to cool my CPUs, case and PSU. This is my first Seasonic power supply. First things first, it was packaged well in a cardboard box, but on opening it the PSU and cables came in a sewn cloth case, looked like velvet. Packaging does not make a good product, so I installed the Seasonic in a i7 build with 2 ssds, 3 HHDs 2 opticals, a GTX 660 with 2 fans. I can hardly hear it running. It's quieter than my laptop. It's only been running for a few days so I can't make any reviews for longevity, but for quiet operation it's the quietest PSU I've ever used, and certainly the build quality is the best of anything I've seen in all the years I've been building! Good job Seasonic! it's great to see a company take pride in their products!

5.0 out of 5 stars So quiet!, March 18, 2014
This thing runs a 290x and i7 oc'd just fine. It's completely silent and cannot be heard over any of my other case fans, Cougars and Noctuas. Being modular it makes for a very clean case, and the flat cables are easy to stuff between the case and side panel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on 850w of power ss-850km3, February 21, 2014
I'd replaced two thermaltake psu's in the past that just quit. Finally replaced them with a 650w antec (antec are rebranded seasonic) and never had a issue since. So for my new build, I purchased this PSU. Plenty of power for my build:
i4770k 16gb - ASUS maximus VI heero
GTX780
4x SCSI3 HDD's
1x SATA
2x optical

The gold rated efficiency claim I tend to view more as marketing since psu mfg's police themselves, besides, efficiency ratings only matter for over 80% utilization. I don't expect to be taxing the psu that hard all the time (the one 2star review, I don't think 850w is enough for his kit). For me, the quality of the power is what counts. I use a psu tester always before plugging it onto my mb. This unit was solid spot on for all voltages except one plug was 11.9v. Within spec, but there's enough connectors that I can not use that and have plenty to spare. If I add so much hardware I'm actually using all the connections on the psu, I should be buying a bigger psu.

It's very quiet. I have mine on normal mode, I don't see a need to go to fanless mode.

It's fully modular and comes with a nice sleeved mb power cable, and plenty of black power cords for most anyone. The mb and cpu power cables are long enough to route through a thermaltake A71 full tower with slack to spare connected to a ASUS maximusVI hero full size atx board. Quality of power, ease of installation, and number of connectors are all excellent.

A bonus is the bags for the cables that it comes with, and the bag the psu is packaged in. Rather than a rats nest of unused cables, you can keep your spare parts organized, the velvet bag will be stuffed with extra cables in my parts box.

The only con would be, for me, is that it is a single rail psu. Single rail psu's mean you don't have to balance the load on the psu, but I'm used to that. Since most psu's now are all single rail, I'll have to grin and bear it.

I've been around the block the last 20 years building and supporting machines for a living, electronics fail, fact of life. In my experience though, if it passes burn in, I expect this unit to be as rock solid as any seasonic psu. It's smaller, lighter, made in china, but what isn't nowadays. The one good thing is that seasonics have always been made in china, so I'm pretty confident they know how to make a power supply. Any unexpected failures down the road and I'll update this, but if I need another power supply for another build, I'll be buying a seasonic again.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality product, October 24, 2013
I've been using it for 4-5 months with no negative issues. Radeon 7970, 3 HDs, optical drive. It had plenty of clearly labeled cables, runs very quietly, and has performed like a champ. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, so far, August 25, 2013
Bought this to power my gaming rig in a BitFenix Prodigy case. It was one of the smallest 850w power supplies I could find, which is important for me trying since I was trying to jam it into the mini-ITX case. Plus it's a great brand: Seasonic and 80+ gold rated.
Well, the supply fits in the case (barely) and runs like a charm. It's quiet and has no problem with the system, which was previously overtaxing/crashing using my 600w ThermalTake. I like the modular design and build quality. Overall, I am extremely impressed with the unit. I would recommend this in a heartbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great power supply, March 8, 2013
Seasonic is well known for quality and reliability. Purchased 7 months ago after reading several great reviews. The power supply lived up to all of my expectations. Wish it cost less but still a great design and performance for the money. The Hybrid silent Fan Control is awesome! Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome PSU, January 20, 2012
I built a new rig and used my old power supply (big mistake) which was an ultra x3 1000w. I was getting random shut downs under load but usually only while playing video games or doing something graphically intensive. For a bit, I thought it was my video card (EVGA 560ti SC) going bad on me but quickly realized after consulting the experts over at EVGA (great phone support by the way) that more than likely my PSU was to blame. I was so sick and tired of having my new computer shut down on me, I immediately bought a Seasonic power supply. From reading many reviews and publications they are supposed to be completely rock solid.

I installed my new PSU and I have zero problems. This bad boy is almost dead silent, I don't think the PSU fan has ever cut on under load. I don't even think I am giving this thing a challenge. Great PSU, great performance, zero problems and super efficient. I love it! Thanks Amazon and thanks Seasonic!

2.0 out of 5 stars Died within 5 months, October 1, 2013
Was working great for the first 5 months, then it suddenly cut off while playing a game. My system should not be too much for it at all. Tried jump starting it and it turns on for a second each time, but then cuts off. RMAing now and hoping the next one does better.

AMD 1090T