Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seasons
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 22, 2010
"Seasons" is a richly complex, abundant gathering of artistic word and imagery pairings evocative of several cycles of seasons. At first paging through the 180 page book is a trifle confusing, because the seasons keep repeating in their cycles. Then all is explained in the end by the author/artist's note to the reader: "Blexbolex got lost for a while in the pages of his books. He has needed two summers, an autumn, a winter, a spring, several storms and a lot of sunshine to rediscover the seasons for himself." The beautiful book experience that emerges is a true taste of the intense variety of the four seasons. The vintage color prints are both evocative and starkly modern; they freshen our minds to receive impressions of life anew. "Seasons" is an inter-generational treat ready to be shared between parents and children, teachers and students, or just savored alone.
on June 8, 2010
Reading SEASONS feels like finding a cherished book from childhood that has miraculously turned up. The nostalgia it inspires might have something to do with the delicious color palette (1970s Kodachrome? Pedro Almodovar circa All About My Mother?) or the surprising heft in the hand (was this how "big" books felt when we were smaller?). Blexbolex's irresistible silkscreen illustrations have the retro charm of old Childcraft Encyclopedia sets and those alphabet books you dimly remember from kindergarten, but as you turn the pages (and you can't stop turning the pages), you become drawn deeper into layers of meaning. The opening pages introduce the seasons across two-page spreads and then the free-association begins--a word and its accompanying image often paired with another on the opposing page. The connections can be logical (LEAF / CATERPILLAR), visually analogous (FIREFLIES / SHOOTING STAR), sonic (BOCCE / ITCHY), even perplexingly oblique (DAY-TO-DAY / TORNADO). This is what I love about SEASONS and why I'm inclined to shelve it with my poetry books: the reader's invited to be a creative participant, to make her own connections and to daydream. I've taught poetry in New York City elementary schools for almost ten years, and I look forward to sharing this new treasure with my students. Any given page could trigger an association, a memory, a poem. And as we witness the current wave of book digitization, SEASONS is a gorgeous argument for the distinct, sensory pleasures of the book as an object-in-our-hands. Young or old, you'll want this book within arm's reach.
on February 1, 2011
As the mother of a toddler, our bookshelves are crammed with stories of turkeys who can't put their clothes on correctly, big red dogs, baby animals, what it means to be a good helper, etc. This book is a nice change of pace from the usual toddler fare. Some disagree and find the book unrelatable, which makes sense because this book is art. Works of art generally have their admirers and detractors. In our family, we are admirers. This book greatly interests my 1.5 year old because of its big, bold colors and shapes. She does not understand some of the more advanced concepts illustrated. But I enjoy the challenge as a parent to talk through some of the more complicated images, if she finds them interesting on some level. It is a fun exercise for both of us, I think--and gets us out of the "puppy/kitty" box. I would compare this book to Charley Harper's ABC book--not for everyone, but certainly worthy of a try if you like the idea of exposing your child to different types of illustration. (And challenging yourself to make art relatable to a developing mind.)
This is one of those strange, abstract books that captivated my daughter's attention. Honestly, we loved the pictures! The illustrations are bold, vivid, and beautiful, capturing the scenes and senses of the four seasons. Some of the words are initially jarring to read and appear not to make any sense in the context of the four seasons, e.g. the word "accident" with a car shown crashed into a tree; the word "memento" with a deer shown mounted on the wall (a hunting trophy?); a blanket with the caption "left behind", and quite a few more. However, each picture does elicit a response, and sets one thinking which in the end is the true value of this book.

I do think this book might be a bit too abstract for very young children (under five), but then again, there's no real harm in just getting them to see the pictures as they are vivid illustrations that will stimulate their senses. My daughter enjoyed reading out each word to me and spent time perusing each picture. This book resulted in both of us having an animated discussion about the four seasons and the activities associated with spring, summer, fall, and winter.
on April 18, 2014
We have been checking Blexbolex's work out from our local library for a few years. I am so happy to make this our own.

The book arrives shrink-wrapped without a dust cover. Nice.

The design of each page is simple, imaginative and richly filled with meaning and dimension. Some books are meant to tell a story, others to entertain but this is a book made as a place to discuss, teach and explore together. Our 5 and 3 year old become entranced in the images as we ask questions, enhance their understandings of our natural world and we sit, awe struck as their tiny minds produce rich, wise answers regarding the art and what it represents.

BUY IT!
on February 18, 2011
This book is just lovely and gorgeous. Not only easy on the eyes, it's a masterpiece of simplicity of shape and color, and especially overprints. So glad that I stumbled across this book on a blog and took the plunge. Each page thoughtfully arranged and beautiful.
on October 18, 2014
I started reading Blex Bolex's Seasons (and his other book People) to my toddler when he was 17 months old. He loved looking at the images and repeated all of the words after I read them out loud. He also pointed out letters from the alphabet as we read each page. He is now 21 months old and asks for Seasons and People on a daily basis. He has the pages memorized and reads this book to me!

My son attends a baby Spanish class and I am now trying to teach him to speak Spanish so I am also using this book to ask him what the Spanish word is for each of the English words on every page. His father speaks French so he does the same thing with French words.

This is a beautiful book and it has been an invaluable learning tool for my baby. There are many multi-syllable words that my toddler has added to his vocabulary quite easily thanks to this book.
on August 14, 2011
I first saw this book at our local library and then purchased it as a gift for a friend. The illustrations are so wonderfully conceived, and I love that so many of the words are a bit out of the ordinary for this type of book. It creates nice conversations and makes you appreciate the nuances of the English language. Which is saying something, considering this book was originally done in French.
on March 3, 2013
SO if you want to encourage appreciation of art from a young age- go for Blexbolex books. Bought for my nieces and they enjoy the illustrations, my sister loves them. The only problem is that it is a long book- single words per page- but once you start my middle niece wants to read the whole thing. Not much of a problem considering that we read to our kids to encourage a love of reading.
on December 14, 2010
This book is simply beautiful. I ordered one for a baby gift and one for myself because it's just as much fun for adults to sit and look at it as it is for kids. The simplicity and peaceful imagery capture so many wonderful moments of each season.