Sebago Men's Brattle Oxford
Price:$42.00 - $149.95

on March 15, 2012
I read the reviews and STILL ordered my normal size, which is 11.5. I could easily have ordered an 11. YMMV of course.

This is a really nice shoe. I wear with jeans, khakis, etc. I guess you could dress it up a bit; for my taste it would not fit with a suit; a business casual outfit...blazer, khakis, maybe a casual tie...absolutely yes.

The shoe is interesting in that the toe and heel area are buffed and more shiny, while the rest of the shoe is more matte-looking. It isn't exactly what I expected, but it really is pretty nice.

In sum, I like the shoe and would order it again.
on August 7, 2012
Three things drew me to this shoe: price, design, and Vibram soles. It looked to be the perfect shoe for rainy days to give my leather soled shoe stable a break.

I bought two colors (dark brown and smokey brown) as a business casual / casual Friday / weekend/weeknight crossover, and ended up returning them both for a few reasons.

#1) Fit. They do run large, about a half size by my measure. I usually wear 10.5-11 and I'm between the 10 and 10.5 on these. I also have wide feet and while they aren't the narrowest shoes, this also isn't the softest leather so I don't expect them to stretch throughout the day and accommodate the boats I have on the end of my legs. Neither of these things are really a con, because they aren't offered in widths and I wouldn't expect designer shoe leather for the price.

#2) Color. The dark brown pair had significantly darker toes than is shown in the picture. I initially ordered two pairs of this color for sizing and both pairs had nearly black toes. I'm okay with a little toe accent, but I don't want a pair of two-tone shoes. I sent them back and ordered the smokey brown ones, thinking I could polish them a bit darker since they didn't appear to have buffed toes. Well, they don't have buffed toes. Instead, they are made of a waxed leather and appear dusty and shiny like cheap leather (after the white wax dust is wiped off).

I was hoping to get a well made shoe with durable Vibram sole for a steal. I think I was hoping for a little too much. However, there are several very positive things about these shoes and I would recommend them to someone who either doesn't mind the dark buffed toes (dark brown or British tan) or isn't looking for a geniune leather look (smokey brown color).

#1) The Vibram soles exceeded my expectations. Walked around my house I had excellent grip without the clodhopper feel of most rubber soles.
#2) The leather on the dark brown pair had a great grain to it, and although it wasn't smooth like top-end leather dress shoes, it definitely has some character to it and will take mink oil and polish well.
#3) The light colored wood heel is well-made and is a good contrast to the dark-ish leather. This could look strange if you're wearing it with dark colored slacks though, be warned.
#4) They appeared very comfortable as I walked around the house.
on February 17, 2012
I received the shoes yesterday in British Tan, to be fair the leather quality is fairly good for the price I paid.

But it appears to be leather that is soft in nature and fairly easy for scuffs and creases to form on it so be warned. The color was also quite different from the photos shown.

In person, the shoes are quite orange in color as opposed to brown but I have used mink oil to darken the leather.

In terms of durability, I have no idea how long they will last but they are leather shoes so it will make sense to take care of them to extend their lifespan.
Overall the shoe has a attractive looking shape to it can't wait to try them on with khaki trousers!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2014
I Love these dress shoes! Great slip resistance even on wet quarry tile these shoes hang on, yet they look like a million bucks! I liked them so much I bought a second psir👞👔💼
on August 13, 2014
First of all- it's a great looking shoe, capable of dressing up/down. Comfortable and light too, although fits me a bit large. However, after only 6 1/2 months (and <10 wearings) the rubber sole at the toe is separating from the rest of the shoe. Mind you, I work at a desk or in a car and do not exactly abuse my shoes. I'm not on my feet all or day nor have I worn them in the rain or anything. Otherwise they seem to be pretty well made so perhaps this is just a bad pair, but unfortunately it is after my return window from Amazon so I figured I'd give you all a heads up
on March 3, 2015
When I saw wingtips in a gray leather I hit the roof! These look awesome online. When they arrived they looked fine, but nothing special, and the fit was very roomy. The sole is pretty thin and minimal, although the tread is very grippy thanks to the Vibram outsole.

Here is my [non-professional] experience with the fit (the most important aspect of shoe buying): I ordered a half a size down from my typical size and they are still rather roomy - too roomy, in my opinion, for a dress shoe. I wish now that I had tried going a full size down, because there is enough length in the toes to allow for it. I think the leather will stretch, also, because it is fairly thin (though apparently full grain leather).

My brannock measurement is on the short side of 11 in length, and regular width, but I consider myself a solid 10.5 I have a low volume foot but a high instep. I usually wear a size 10-10.5 in dress shoes, a size 10.5-11 in running shoes and hiking boots, a size 10 in American-made Goodyear-welted boots (Red Wing Heritage, Wolverine 1000 mile, Chippewa Heritage, Thorogood, Woolrich), a 9.5 in Clarks Originals, and a 43-44 in Ecco dress shoes.

Sizing summary: the fit of the Sebago Brattle is similar to that of Clarks, and Wolverine 1000 mile boots, and equivalent European sizes in Ecco. It is spacious in both length and width. If you have a wide foot, order true to size. If you have a medium-wide foot, order down .5, if you have a medium-narrow foot, down .5 or a full size, and if narrow feet, you might want to look into at a different shoe.

The leather is alleged to be full grain, but it creased very easily upon first wearing, even after conditioning it well.

The sole is thin and not truly wood I believe. I still have room for a thin insert to soften the non-supportive sole, having gone down a half size.

In my understanding, this shoe can be resoled because of the welted construction (not goodyear though).

I would not pay full retail of around $150 for this shoe. Never. Ever. I am not saying it is a terrible shoe, as it compares acceptably to other shoes at around $100, but perhaps my standards are quite high.There will most certainly be durability issues with sole, and I estimate the leather upper will soon look like garbage even with regular conditioning, shoe cream, and shoe trees.
on June 20, 2013
Great looking shoe, gotten lots of compliments on them. They seem to be cheaply made for the price paid. I wear a 12 usually but heard they ran big so I ordered a 11.5 and they are still slightly too big, I am keeping them though.
on February 2, 2014
First, a comment about the sizing. If you look at the American size, this shoe does run larger than expected, but you shouldn't necessarily order down. I typically wear an 11.5, and I wear an 11.5 in these. It's a bit larger than I'm used to, but it fits, and the 11 was clearly too small. My advice is to pay attention to the European sizing. Although my shoes feel large for an 11.5, they feel right on for a 46, which is what they're labeled as.

I own these in dark brown, but I also ordered a pair in British tan, which I returned. In contrast to the tan shoes, which look plasticky and artificially slick, the brown shoes appear to be made with full-grain leather. The picture here is not entirely accurate. Other than the dark, burnished portions on the toe and heel, the leather is quite light--it's not distressed, but it looks dry and faded. I applied some brown Meltonian cream right out of the box, and they looked much better for it (unfortunately I can't post any pictures).

Once I applied polish, the shoes looked great. The shape is perfect, and the fake-wood sole adds nice visual contrast. The shoes are immediately comfortable, and require very little break in time.

My only concern with these shoes is the durability. While they don't feel cheap or flimsy, they don't feel especially solid, either. I'll update this review once I've worn them for a while.

These shoes are great for anything from casual to business casual. They're certainly not meant to be worn in formal situations or with a suit, but as long as that's not what you're looking for, they should be great.
on December 29, 2012
I bought these shoes after visiting my son in California>>>started seeing similar colored shoes out there and thought they stood out in a refined way. I get compliments every time I wear them>>>My wife says its the best looking shoes Ive ever owned. Beyond the fashion statement, they are ok>>>not the greatest in comfort, but not bad either>>>>>the one problem I foresee is the difficulty I will have to polish them without getting polish on the canvas. I have tried to wear them only in dry weather for fear they may need polishing .Ive also noticed the canvas is starting to pick up a little color(dirt)>>>Im hoping it just gives the shoe some "patina"!! All and all a good looking shoe .but maybe a little maintenance intensive>>>>definitely not an everyday shoe
on December 8, 2014
first I thought they would be too big because of the other reviews, but they ended up being too small by dropping a whole size. I'd say if you like returning shoes, then buy these, otherwise, the sizes don't match up