Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on August 10, 2010
These penny loafers were a long time arriving, but they were well worth the wait. The leather is top quality, and the stitching uniform. I bought the brown, and they are kind of a deep caramel. They fit very true to size, but when I first put them on I thought they were going to be too narrow. Usually I would walk around on a carpet, but I could tell by the softness of the leather they would loosen up quickly. And they did in about 5 minutes. I am wearing them to work tomorrow in a job that requires a lot of walking. I am very happy with my purchase.
0Comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2013
This was a very challenging shoe to size for myself, and I wasn't sure I'd make it. Generally speaking, my shoe size is usually an 8 or 8.5. (I wear a lot of Clark's, and in that brand, I get an 8.5.) Because my foot is somewhat wide, I do have some difficulty with certain brands, even when I get what they've labeled as a 'C' width. Also, I have a bunion on one foot (TMI?), which can make shoes with too narrow a toe box quite painful after a short time of walking around in them.

For this particular shoe, people were commenting that it runs small, so I suspected I'd need at least an 8.5 wide. When the shoe in this size arrived, I couldn't even get my heel in! It certainly didn't look like a wide, and it was the smallest 8.5 I'd ever seen. I sent it back and ordered a whole size larger (a 9.5, which I'd NEVER have expected to wear).

When the second pair arrived, I was pleased to find that I could at least get my foot in. Sadly, the shoe was now flip-flopping all over the place, because it wouldn't grip my heel. Given that the 8.5 was so small I couldn't put the shoe on, and the 9.5 was so big that it wouldn't STAY on, I assumed that the shoe was simply not designed to work on my feet. Consequently, I didn't bother ordering the in-between size. (Scoff if you will, but it seemed I was not destined for this shoe.)

After spending several hours looking for a classic women's leather penny loafer in the brick and mortar stores in my large hometown, I went back to the Web to see what else was out there. I'd read some less than stellar reviews of other brands' quality, and finally decided I had little to lose by ordering the in-between size 9W. I'm so glad I did, because that shoe fits my feet perfectly!

In a nutshell:
- This shoe DOES run small. My usually 8 - 8.5W foot needed the 9W. (So, it's not really THAT small.)
- The quality of the shoe seems to be quite good. Time will tell, but the stitching seems very solid.
- This shoe has classic lines, which I really like. (I didn't want a shoe that looked too much like a moccasin. I wanted an actual penny loafer.)
- The first two pairs I ordered were not brown, but rather the more reddish color. I am glad I opted for the brown on the third try, because it's more like what I was looking for. The burgundy color is quite shiny and plastic-looking, whereas the brown looks like actual leather. (If you want a patent-leather look, however, you may like the other colors better than the brown.)
- I've been able to wear this shoe with everything from jeans to chinos to skirts. It's very versatile!
- I didn't need any break-in time at all for this shoe to be comfortable.
- The return process with Amazon was quite painless. If you've got a UPS store relatively nearby, don't be afraid to just give it a shot and order your best guess at a size. You can always send it back!
on March 19, 2008
I ordered these loafers and hoped for the best. I wasn't dissapointed in either the quality of the shoe or the great fit. I'd order this brand of shoe again!
0Comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2009
I am a long-time Sebago customer and have now convinced my wife to buy Sebago shoes. These loafers, like all Sebago shoes, are wearable from the first and only get better. I refer to Sebago shoes as "plug and play."
11 comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2011
The shoe is well made of good leather, but, even though a wide was purchased, it is still relatively narrow. Be cautious if you need a true wide shoe!
on September 19, 2011
I love the shoe...no break-in time necessary...fits right out of the box. The only disappointing thing was the color...I was hoping that it would be closer in color to the picture, more of a cognac color but instead was a very dark brown. I will keep the shoe however as quality loafers are very hard to find at a reasonable price. Also, the rubber sole is so much better than the leather, which can be hazardous if walking on wet surfaces, especially in the Fall. Shipping and handling was flawless...great job Amazon...I never hesitate to purchase from Amazon..Thank you.
on February 11, 2011
Very comfortable from the first day wearing. No break in period. Very good quality shoe. True to size.
on January 1, 2011
I had a pair of penny loafers that were the color of a Hershey bar and I loved them. They eventually needed to get replaced. I looked for 2 years trying to match the color and I finally did with these. They are a nice shade and a great price.
on August 29, 2011
I've never owned this brand of shoe before and bought it on a whim because I've been searching for a basic black penny loafer and couldn't find much to fit the bill. I generally wear an 8-1/2 to 9 and bought a 9 in this and it fits perfectly. I must say, I was a little skeptical because the shoes seemed a little stiff right out of the box. Most shoes just don't "break in" like they claim. BUT...I'm halfway through day one of wearing these shoes and they are very comfortable. No regrets on the purchase and I just might buy another color.
on September 7, 2011
These loafers are just what I had been looking for. The toe box is tapered and trim, not boxy. They are much darker than pictured--seemed to be sort of cognac colored but mine are very dark wine colored. They are stiff. I have been wearing them a little at a time and they are getting better-- worth it to me, I really like them.

See 1 answered question