Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on March 30, 2014
Natural red hair. . .old ladies compliment it, classmates make fun of it and you, the owner of the red mop develop a love/ hate relationship with it. Just as you are old enough to really appreciate your ginger locks, something frightening happens. . . it begins to fade. Not only do redheads go gray but the once vibrant copper fades as well.

I've tried salon color, box color and temporary color. Some were okay, one was a nightmare. I could never find the right shade that looked like me. I read about the Sebastian cellophanes and watched a youtube video about process and application and ordered the Gold Red. I have to say its the best color (for me) ever!! The color is very natural and super easy to use. I chose to purchase a bonnet style hair dryer because it does need to be set with heat. The first time I used a plastic shower cap and my regular blow dryer and it worked just fine. The longer you leave the color under heat the more color deposit you get so you can control the depth of color. Another great thing is that this is not a dye really, it is a deposit only. Its great because all the hair doesn't end up as the same color. It's like wrapping each strand of hair with tinted cling wrap. You can still see what's underneath but with a tint of color and shine. I see the color fading at about three weeks with regular washing. No big deal, it takes about 30 minutes in all, I just do it again.
I am extremely pleased with this product and recommend it to anyone wanting a natural looking red.
on March 12, 2016
Didn't expect to be so satisfied with this gloss. My multi tone red highlights faded pretty quickly to brassy almost blonde. I can't see my hairdresser for a while so I thought I'd try this. Came out looking maybe a little more natural but still bright and works great with my highlights. Pic is from the next day after application, just wanted to show how it looks in the sun & shade.

I used gloves, parted my hair into a few sections and followed the application directions. Gathered my hair into a bun & put on a shower cap. Put a difusser on my blowdryer and held it over my head for 15 minutes, moving it around a bit to apply heat evenly all over. Didn't make my hair that much softer but it's thin and I've dyed it a decent amount recently for the highlights. Didn't really stain my scalp that much, where it did it's not really noticeable.

Overall really pleased, expected slightly more orangey or pink copper but I like this anyway because it's very easy to use and really effective in being away from the salon for a bit. Excellent price too.
review image
on January 27, 2015
I have recently begun having my stylist add in red highlights which I love, but despite trying three different types of permanent color, the brilliance of the red does fade over time which is apparently a fairly common problem. She recommended trying the cellophanes between the salon color treatment and this does the trick beautifully. It gives my red highlights a beautiful but natural-looking boost and the rest of my hair takes on a bit of a reddish sheen that is subtle but very pretty.

Here are some hints for application:
-Get some rubber gloves--you can get a big box of them that will last a long time on Amazon or at CVS or Walgreens. Also, order some disposable shower caps or processing caps. You can get a ton of them for only a few bucks on Amazon. I also ordered a contraption you can put on your blow dryer that works kind of like an old bonnet hair dryer. If you order one, you may need to cut additional vent holes on it so it doesn't blow off your head during use.
--Make sure your hair is freshly shampooed with no conditioner. Towel dry it with a microfiber towel to get most of the moisture out and comb thoroughly before you begin.
--Drape a dark colored towel around your shoulders to protect you from spills. Protect your floor with some newspaper or just use a dark colored shower mat so stains won't show up. Have a couple of moist paper towels available if needed.
--Squirt out about what you think you will need to cover your whole head into a bowl that you don't care about staining. I use a silicone bowl and it doesn't stain.
--Apply in sections...I found that it works pretty well to just dip my gloved hand into the gel and work it through from root to tip and then clip up sections so things don't get too unwieldy/messy. This wouldn't be necessary if you have short hair. Try to get close to your scalp without getting it on your scalp as it will stain and look funny if you part your hair.
--Once the hair is completely coated, put on a disposable shower/processing cap and then use whatever method you want to heat your head for 20 minutes. I use the bonnet attachment for my hair dryer, but I'm sure there are other creative ways to keep your hair warm for 20 minutes. Once the 20 minutes is up, be sure to wait another five allowing your hair to cool down before you wash out. I would suggest a sulfate-free or low sulfate shampoo and a light conditioner.

Note: If you get any of the gel on your skin, just pop off your gloves, wipe it with a moist paper towel and put on a new pair of gloves if you're not done. This won't stain skin unless you leave it on for a fairly long time.
on April 2, 2015
I am (was) a natural red-head. As I've gotten older, my hair lightened to strawberry blonde. Hair dye strips the color to add color which means when the color fades, my hair turned lighter because it stripped. As a natural red-head, aging to a 'blonde' was bad enough. Dye made it worse. Anyhoo, so I've been using This product for about 3-4 years now and I no longer have 'faded stripped' hair. My hair is so shiny, healthy, no split ends, not dry, just perfect! The Good thing about this product is how healthy my hair is, second, the color is very natural looking. Three times per day, total strangers compliment my hair stating, "and that's your natural color!" They don't ask, they TELL me it's natural. Totally fooled that it's 'chemically enhanced!' The bad -- use ALOT of Vaseline on your neck, scalp, ears, skin near hairline. This stuff is POTENT! Make sure you have dark colors on the floor and counter of where you will be applying the dye. With that warning, I highly suggest applying this product 2-3 WASHINGS BEFORE an event or returning to work. I highly suggest this product to folks who are cautious and have patience. The amount of compliments I receive daily really speaks volumes of the quality of tis product
on February 8, 2016
Love! I did this today in half an hour. It is crazy messy (my husband asked if I had a baby in the bathroom when he saw the mess). I'll do it in the shower next time. It makes my hair look like I just left the salon. I've received 4 compliments on it while running errands today.

For $12 I can glaze my own hair 4 times and stretch my salon visits from 3 weeks to 6. It covered my grey and added loads of shine.

I'm expecting to have to do it every other week. That's just the nature of red (on my medium brown hair) but it's totally worth the effort.
review image
on February 27, 2015
Based on other reviews for this product, I had high hopes. The color payoff was fantastic, if a bit too bright at first--but I knew it would fade so I was happy with the results. I used a clarifying shampoo first, did not condition, and let my hair dry to 70-80%. I found the gel formula difficult to distribute, but my hair is very long and damaged, so I experience this regularly depending on a particular product formulation. I started with the top/front sections of my hair, as those are the lightest/most faded, and once I had covered every inch, I wrapped my hair up tight in saran wrap and used a blow dryer intermittently to apply heat. After 45 min, I washed it out with a color-safe shampoo and conditioned. My scalp was a bit pink in areas where I got too close, but my hairline looked fine, and thanks to the gloves I used, my hands weren't stained at all. Hallelujah!

How did it last? Look, its temporary. It's not permanent. It's not even demi-permanent. I only wash my hair 2-3x a week, so it lasted about 3 weeks. If you want something with more endurance, you're going to have to use something with more chemicals. Personally, I've been a faux redhead for 4 years (doing it myself for 3 and 1/2), and if you're not a salon professional, you're color options are limited. My ideal color would be a dimensional, level 7-8 ginger with lots of gold, copper, and vibrant red tones--think lighter than Christina Hendricks, but richer than Jessica Chastain. In my experience, most red dye will make you a Julianne Moore--which is pretty, but too dark and artificial looking for me. If you're a natural redhead looking for a boost, I'd recommend this. If you're a redhead by choice who is feeling faded but can't bear the possibility of browned-out, darker, more damaged hair, I'd recommend this. If you wash your hair frequently and want something lasting, I'd recommend Redken Shades EQ--but for me that still only lasted about 5-6 weeks. And it was much more expensive.
on April 1, 2013
Great way to add depth, tone and deep copper shine to brown or red-brown hair--easy to use (although rather messy!), washes off soiled towels in the first wash, but stays in your hair for weeks...colors grey hair well, looks natural and best of all, Sebastian cellophanes don't dye your hair, but rather coat the hair shaft for long-lasting temporary color requiring no peroxide or other harsh chemicals. It also works well as a conditioner for dry hair. You can save yourself a lot of money by applying this product yourself rather than going to an expensive salon and get great results!
on January 21, 2013
have natural color hair, and wanted a change, so i opted for cellophanes cause it fades away still leave a bit of color back but wont harm ur hair at all, will leave it so shiny and smooth as silk...
i would always recommend this product to everyone...
on March 31, 2014
Love the color. I just wish it would stay longer! Well what can I say I have tried all other cellophanes for my damaged hair and I must say this one is one of the best. Sadly after 3 to 5 washes it comes out completely.
on December 31, 2015
Works great, didn't dye skin, my hair looks awesome. This is the BEST way to maintain dyed red hair.

A note on the color: My hair was medium brown to start, and now it's red but darker than a natural redhead. The Gold Red doesn't look as good for me, a bit too orange. I think I'll prefer the Red Red or Hot Red for my hair color. But Gold Red is probably great for a lighter or natural redhead.