5.0 out of 5 stars So excited for this series to continue!
Published on October 31, 2012 by Tiffany A. Harkleroad

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy read
This was a fun book to read when I needed a break. I found myself skipping a lot as I got towards the middle of it as it was way too detailed for the story line, but I enjoyed it. Sometimes it's nice to read something light as a stress release and this book was great for that.
Published 22 months ago by Kathy Manizza

5.0 out of 5 stars So excited for this series to continue!, October 31, 2012
This review is from: Second Chance Grill (Liberty Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
After the death of her best friend, Mary needs to take a break from her medical practice. She finds herself in Liberty, Ohio, having inherited her aunt's restaurant. Mary decides to reopen the restaurant, and takes on the task of running it, temporarily, until she is able to return to medicine. But, something unexpected happens when Mary befriends a young girl named Blossom, and Blossom's father Anthony. Suddenly, nothing is going as planned, for everyone involved.

I was so excited to learn a second book was being released in this series set in a small Ohio town. Having grown up in a small Ohio town, the setting is one that speaks to me quite deeply. The characters are so vivid, and reminiscent of the people I knew growing up. I really liked Mary's character, I found her genuine and robustly developed. And the interactions between Mary, Blossom, and Anthony are really quite touching.

I liked that this story has the aspects of romance, and passion, but were still moderately tame and in good taste. I also liked that the romance was merely one aspect of the story. There are several subplots which are rich stories in their own right, while still contributing well to the overall story of the novel. The book was an engaging read, prompting me to read it cover to cover in one sitting. I think that this book will appeal to fans of small town stories, as well as romances and dramatic novels. All in all, an excellent read.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming and emotional, January 14, 2013
I stumbled across this book when I was going through the 'fiction humor' charts, and I'm glad that I did! But I must also say that I am a tad baffled as to why this book is listed in 'fiction humor', as, although there were a few moments that made me smile, this is not a humorous book per se. If it is essentially humor you are after, then maybe you should look elsewhere (perhaps try I'm Dreaming of a Wilde Christmas (A laugh-out-loud romantic comedy) which is a very funny romantic comedy). Instead, Second Chance Grill is a very touching, romantic story with good characters (Mary and Blossom) and set in small southern town - which gives the book a nice cosy feel. It's also a compelling read and you can't help but feel good at the end of it! Not my usual sort of read, but I'm glad I came across it. Because this is a prequel, I will certainly consider reading 'Treasure Me' in the not so distant future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging romantic read!, November 2, 2012
Megan "~Amethyst Daydreams~" (Ashland, OH United States) - See all my reviews
What a great book! I really enjoyed this one. It is an emotional and heart warming story about second chances and being open to life's journey, even when it derails all your carefully laid plans. The characters are large as life and you can't help but love them. The story takes place in a fictional small town in North East Ohio which was great fun for me, being from Ohio myself. You really get a feel for the town and the people who live there and it all just comes alive. All in all, I loved this book and look forward to the next one. I labeled this an adult book because it is a romance with some discussion of sex but it is nowhere near as graphic as most romances. It could easily be read by almost anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed!, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Second Chance Grill (Paperback)
Brought to my attention by my Goodreads book club moderator, this book and author have now been pushed to the top of my favorites list. At the time our book club was scheduled to start this read, I had a lot going on in my personal life and really didn't feel like I had the time to read this one. But the fact that the author herself was taking time out of her busy life to chat with us throughout the read influenced me to take the plunge. And I couldn't be more glad that I did.

Author Christine Nolfi truly has a talent for creating characters brimming with personality. Her use of dialog tics is outstanding, especially when it came to sweet little Blossom. Only a couple pages after being introduced to the precious sixth grader, I felt such a connection with Blossom. So funny, stubborn, and strong. She quickly had my heart: a connection that caused me to blubber and bawl a number of times as if she were my own child.

Having been born and raised in a small town myself, I easily connected with and related to several other characters throughout the book, especially Theodora and Ethel Lynn. When reading their dialog, images of some "old biddies" (and I say that lovingly) in my hometown easily came to mind. Nolfi has informed our group that characters such as Theodora and Meade are explored further throughout the series, so I will most definitely be on the lookout for the rest of her works of art to become available.

If you're looking for a light, heartwarming read that is still full of meaning, I highly recommend Second Chance Grill. It had me laughing out loud one moment and wiping away tears the next, which is an effect that very few books have ever had on me. Second Chance Grill ended up being just what I needed at this time in my life: a reminder to slow down, ground my perspective a bit, and focus on the important things in life...family and friends...and being there for them no matter what

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart-warming read..., December 31, 2012
I found this an adorable read, it was cute, entertaining and truly heartwarming; a book packed with emotions.

The story begins with a young doctor taking a sabbatical from her medical career by setting up the restaurant that her aunt had left her. Mary is re-opening the restaurant diner to keep herself busy and help herself overcome the loss of her bestfriend and almost-sister Sadie, who died in an accident.

I enjoyed reading about Mary because she sounded genuine, with her attempts to fit into this new town that did not trust her, especially since her cook had given half the town food poisoning on opening day! Mary has her own battles between following her heart or standing by her responsibilities.

And in enters Blossom, an 11 year old girl who is mentally older than her years. Blossom's mother left her when she was very young so her Italian father, Anthony, brought her up. The father-daughter relationship is fun to read as there are times when Anthony isn't sure how to react with his daughter's adolescent behaviour.

I felt very connected to Blossom. Her mischievious ways and snarky yet adoring comments could charm anyone and she won my affection entirely. Blossom tries to set her dad up with Mary for her dad and herself since she does not have a mother.

The growing friendship and love between the two felt very real and touched me. Mary's feeling of hopelessness when cancer attacks Blossom again almost made me cry. Almost.

Overall a touching and delightful read and a great way to end 2012!
Zed (:

5.0 out of 5 stars A Warmhearted Story, Beautifully Woven, February 18, 2013
Contrary to common wisdom I often judge a book by its cover, or at least admit to being drawn to it because of the cover image. Here, the checkered black-and-white tile floor, the shiny metal barstools is so familiar, that the figure seated in the restaurant on one of them, casually holding an American flag, can be anyone of us--an impression that is strengthened by the fact that the face is cropped out. This figure is you, it is me, and so is the story--its universal appeal is a direct result of the well fleshed out characters, and the details that are so specific to the small Ohio town where it takes place.

Here, for example, the author sketches the local scenery in words: "Swatches of pink light brushed the newly plowed fields. Up ahead a farmer on a tractor kicked up dust as he tilled the brown earth." The description is brief--just a quick sketch--before going back to the heroine of the story, Mary: "She drove past with her thoughts wending back to Blossom."

Blossom Perini, the precious girl Mary cannot help but becoming attached to, has Leukemia, which affects the wellbeing of her father, Anthony. Given Mary's background in medicine, as well as her compassionate nature, the interaction between the three of them creates an endearing, warmhearted story, illuminated by a touch of romance.

At its core, this is about second chances, the fact that happily, things happen not according to plan, thus allowing Mary--whose last name, cleverly enough, is Chance--the opportunity to explore new, exciting twists and turns in her life.

The language is masterfully weaved by Christine Nolfi, in both dialog and exposition. Here, for example, is how she introduces Anthony, who thought a lot about dying: "She supposed it was natural given all the pain, blood tests, and hospital visits they endured. Going through it, years of it, had changed him. It put lines on his forehead and doubt in his eyes." With this you immediately see and feel for the character, his past and his present.

Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of emotion!, December 25, 2012
Wow! This story takes you through a wide range if emotions! It makes you want to laugh and cry. It will warm you heart and make you blush! I believe it was much steamier than Treasure Me! The bonds that were create were woven together wonderfully. Bravo Ms. Nolfi!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, December 24, 2012
This review is from: Second Chance Grill (Paperback)
This really is what romance novels should be like. With its careful characterization and charming atmosphere, this is a book that will please most readers of pretty much any genre.
The characters are what really captured me, from the very beginning. They each have such a particular voice, which can sometimes be missing from novels like this, which involve a whole small town. They each have their bits of quirkiness, which makes them unforgettable and instantly endearing.
The writing is deceptively simple, with lots of nuances that make the reader want to reread some sentences just for the feel of the language. This is not the usual for this genre, where the plot takes over and the writing itself is delegated to second tier. Here, it is all about the prose, and the book is all the better for it. The descriptions are not what I would call "flowery", but we still get a good picture of where we are and what the characters look like. It's all about carefully wording.
I do recommend this book to pretty much everyone. Whether you like romance novels or not, this story will definitely capture your attention and keep it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Good Book with an Amazing Story, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Second Chance Grill (Paperback)
Blossom, age eleven and in remission from leukemia, convinces her dad, Anthony, to take her to the Second Chance Grill for ice cream. The young girl has ulterior motives; her long time single dad needs to meet the new owner, Dr. Mary Chance.

Dr. Mary Chance moves to Liberty, Ohio after her best friend dies. In Liberty, she has inherited a struggling restaurant from her aunt. When Blossom and Anthony come to her restaurant the first time the connection is immediate. Will their bond keep her in Liberty?

Second Chance Grill takes us to a charming, typical Midwestern town. I love towns like these. Everyone knows each other and there are no secrets. Dr. Mary Chance comes from big town Cincinnati and doesn't quite fit right in, but as time goes on she becomes one of the townsfolk.
Watching Mary fend off her feelings and stay on course for her original plan was fun. The story was not predictable, I know how some parts would end, but were happily surprised with other parts. The unpredictability made me keep reading having to know what happen next. I also loved how Anthony persuades her to doubt her original plan without ultimatums. Not being over bearing, just incredibly sexy, sweet, and thoughtful won him a place in my heart.

The there is Blossom. My favorite character in the whole book. At eleven she is witty and smart beyond her years, but Nolfi did not make her old beyond her years. She still had tantrums and struggles with tween issues. The fact that she wants and needs a mother was not lost on me and that is the true reason I was hoping for Anthony and Mary to get together.

I believe this is a novel you will enjoy and come back to again and again. Second Chance Grill is a truly good book with a truly amazing story. I know that I will most definitely read the rest of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed by Desere Steenberg, November 3, 2012
The book centred around Dr Mary Chance who needs a break from her everyday medicine life to grieve for her lost friend. So yes there is your tear jerking moment.

Mary inherits a restaurant and here is where she meets a pre-teen who along with her father turns Mary's life upside down. And in that is your oh boy here is comes moment.

Mary is not prepared for the feelings and emotions that follow in the wake of meeting two people she never thought would cross her path. Now I am sure you will agree that we all like that little bit of excitement with a punch in stories and so far it might not seem like the book will offer this up,yet I was pleasantly surprised as the author took all the vital elements and brought it together for me.

The author incorporated some elements of romance into the book but also used enough vivid descriptions with her characters and the back drop setting of a small town to make the book worth while,to make up for the lack of true passion I prefer for a novel.

The book had the perfect heart warming impact for those who love a story of romance and new friendship in a small town.

I look forward to book two of the series.

4/5 star review