5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!
Published 13 months ago by Thomas Holt

3.0 out of 5 stars Very English
Published on February 6, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid!, March 2, 2013
Very much in the same vein as Roast Chicken and Other Stories but, in my view, even better. Simon Hopkinson has two great strengths: he loves food and cooking and has a mission to make the rest of feel the same, and he has a unique talent for passing on huge amounts of information - expertise, even - disguised as little anecdotes and snippets loosely related to the recipe of the moment. I'm staggered at the things I have learnt just from cooking a couple of dozen recipes from these books. Simon can come across as opinionated - fair enough, he does have strong views on what is good food. But I'd much rather have that than some alleged food writer pushing quinoa, or whatever the latest fad happens to be, down my throat.

There are no glossy photos here, in fact a waitress recently asked me what I was reading and was surprised it was a cookbook. At a cursory glance it does have the appearance of a novel! But there are lots of extremely good recipes and invaluable tips on how to get the best from particular ingredients. My favourite so far is the Southern Fried Chicken Thighs. These are what KFC could be like if cooked by someone who knows what they are doing, fries in decent olive oil and butter, and uses the finest free-range chicken. The beauty of this recipe is that you can season the dipping flour however you like. My latest was pepper, salt, medium chilli powder, paprika, and sumac - absolutely glorious. If you do the dipping properly - resting a couple of minutes between coatings - the thighs are wonderfully juicy. I served it with Patatas Bravas, sour cream, and green beans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book of recipes and reminiscences, May 6, 2007
Like Mr. Hopkinson, I am Bury born and bred. My mother shopped at the same tripe shop as his grandmother; I celebrated my 21st birthday at M. Chambas' restaurant ("The Normandy", Mr. Hopkinson - you'd have been laughed out of town on a rail in the 60's if you'd referred to it in Bury as "La Normandie"!)where he later cut his teeth - my mother, who taught at an hotel school, drove my father, who was paying for the meal, crazy by "costing" the meal as it proceeded - the salad was the final straw - we never, alas, returned!

I have lived for many years on a different continent and would love his books, regardless of the recipes, for the many reminders of my youth that they contain. That said, this and his original roast chicken book, are a wonderful source of varied, instructive and utterly usable recipes. I cannot recommend them too highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very English, February 6, 2010
I'm a tiny bit dissappointed in this sequel and in the first volume, Roast Chicken and Other Stories, of these cookbooks. I love color photographs of the finished product; they inspire and to some extent even teach. I didn't bother to see if these books had photographs or not since the books and the author were so beloved to a reviewer in The New York Times.So I blame myself for feeling something is missing. Also, the recipes and dishes are very very English. If I had to choose between the two volumes, I'd stick to the first - Roast Chicken and Other Stories. What is undeniable is the charming rather opinionated tone of the cook. Generally, I don't think they are essential but simply a practical and interesting addition to a discerning collection of cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Helpings, February 2, 2009
I enjoyed this cookbook very much. It is as well written as his first book,Roast Chicken. The stories and receipes are excellent.

Kaye Sugahara

ARRAY(0x9d9aa948)

Second Helpings of Roast Chicken
Second Helpings of Roast Chicken by Simon Hopkinson (Hardcover - October 7, 2008)
$24.95 $15.38