From the Back Cover
Get your group on the Grid
This complete reference will guide your organization toward a successful and compelling presence in the amazing virtual world of Second Life. Written by an innovative, expert Second Life Solution Provider who has helped corporations, educational institutions, nonprofits, government agencies, and others establish and maintain their Second Life presence, this official guide walks you through the entire process of creating, refining, and maintaining your organization's presence in Second Life.
You'll explore the infrastructure of the Second Life Grid and decide whether you should go it alone or work with a Solution Provider. You'll learn about Grid features and how to best take advantage of Resident-created tools. You'll see how to manage your virtual space, staff, and inventory; run well-attended events; and launch effective marketing campaigns. Written with the full cooperation of Linden Lab, this book also reveals how to integrate your organization's culture into SL's culture, while providing valuable insights into how organizations such as NASA, University of California Davis Medical Center, IBM, and others have thrived in Second Life.
- Understand the Second Life Grid: Explore the platform your organization will inhabit
- Study what educators are doing: Try remote learning, lectures, simulations, and collaboration
- Learn from NASA and other government agencies: See new ways to inform, educate, and get feedback from the public
- Get virtual business sense: Find out how nonprofit and for-profit organizations conduct real business in SL
- Marketing in the virtual world: See what works and what doesn't
- Take control of events: Set up and publicize successful in-world events
- Design and build effective learning environments
- Hold in-world conferences, meetings, and classes
- Understand Second Life's diverse culture
About the Author
founded and operates The Magicians (www.themagicians.us), one of the oldest and most innovative content-development companies in Second Life
. She has worked with NASA, British Council, University of California Davis Medical center, and Wiley Publishing, Inc. Kim also coauthored Creating Your World: The Official Guide to Advanced Content Creation for Secong Life
, also from Wiley.